PDA

View Full Version : The Ben Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

pancake
04-20-2010, 07:19 PM
anyone who thinks that the steelers cant win with out ben is so full of it dont get me wrong with ben we have a better chance of getting there this year of even next but saying 10 or 20 years come on you guys must not have a clue.

What have we done before Ben and after Terry? If we had a QB like either of them in the 90's we could have had a couple more.

I am saying at least 10 years without sniffing a SB...

WindyCitySteelerFan
04-20-2010, 07:20 PM
"til true... Can't live the 80s and 90s all over again// UGH

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 07:21 PM
I'd go atleast 20.

No, no, you said:

If Ben goes, I go.

Which leaves me torn between trading him and not trading him.

:chuckle:

Oh, all ye of little faith. We can find a way to win. Rat birds did it with Dilfer and the Bucs did it with Brad Johnson. Basically both did it with defense and in the last decade.

You want to move on if he's traded? Then by all means; go. :wave:

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 07:22 PM
anyone who thinks that the steelers cant win with out ben is so full of it dont get me wrong with ben we have a better chance of getting there this year of even next but saying 10 or 20 years come on you guys must not have a clue.

No, a lot of people on here just don't realize how hard and rare it is to come across a franchise QB that gives you a shot at the SB every year. They'd rather just trade Ben away just like that and go with an unproven rookie or someone like Dennis Dixon. Quite laughable.

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 07:24 PM
No, a lot of people on here just don't realize how hard and rare it is to come across a franchise QB that gives you a shot at the SB every year. They'd rather just trade Ben away just like that and go with an unproven rookie or someone like Dennis Dixon. Quite laughable.

No they'd rather go with Ben, but in light of that fact that he can't keep himself out of the negative light, we may have to get behind someone else. While I doubt that is going to happen (i.e. Media trying to stir the pot), we will push on if it does.

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 07:27 PM
I KNEW once we announced we traded for Lefty, the Trade Ben stories would resurface. And Gary is the first to do so. Dealing Ben when he is technically NEVER Charged or arrested for anything would call into Question the IQ's of the Rooney's.

steelerfan75
04-20-2010, 07:27 PM
there is a lot more to being able to get to a superbowl then one QB it takes a team like i said ben is a big part of the team but he is not bigger then the team and the team would fine with out ben if we can get a couple of 1st rd picks for ben 1 in this years draft and 1 in next years im sure between the two drafts would could get another FRA QB again.

Edman
04-20-2010, 07:29 PM
If Ben gets traded, well let's just say we'll come to regret it.

It'll suck, but it's the sacrafice the Rooneys were willing to make. Ben's a great player, but he's not bigger than the team and he's not bigger than the franchise. His fratboy offseason antics have been a slap to the face to the Rooneys who have built this organization for over 70 years. We've won before him, although we didn't get over the hump until he showed up.

If Ben were a little smarter, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. If Ben is shipped out of Pittsburgh, he wrote his own ticket out of here. No one else.

HometownGal
04-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Ben isn't going to be traded because even though the Steelers FO is pissed off at him right now, they are very good businessmen and aren't stupid.

Enjoy all of the new Ben threads while you can folks - all of 'em get merged on Friday and we can go back to some assemblance of normalcy around here again. :banana:

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 07:30 PM
I KNEW once we announced we traded for Lefty, the Trade Ben stories would resurface. And Gary is the first to do so. Dealing Ben when he is technically NEVER Charged or arrested for anything would call into Question the IQ's of the Rooney's.

:doh:

Oh the drama. What the hell do you know about running a FB franchise? Who the hell knows more the the Rooney Family for that matter.

Kids.

:coffee:

MACH1
04-20-2010, 07:33 PM
:doh:

Oh the drama. What the hell do you know about running a FB franchise? Who the hell knows more the the Rooney Family for that matter.

Kids.

But it works on Madden. :chuckle:

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Ben isn't going to be traded because even though the Steelers FO is pissed off at him right now, they are very good businessmen and aren't stupid.

Enjoy all of the new Ben threads while you can folks - all of 'em get merged on Friday and we can go back to some assemblance of normalcy around here again. :banana:

Right Gal, they are not stupid. I mean it was a GOOD move to deal your BEST WR for a 5th round pick,,,when they could have just kep't him this season, try to win with him, and let him walk after the season and get at LEAST A 3rd round Comp pick for him.

Yeah, a 5th is WAY better...Gotta Love that SMART Business sense:doh::doh::doh:

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Right Gal, they are not stupid. I mean it was a GOOD move to deal your BEST WR for a 5th round pick,,,when they could have just kep't him this season, try to win with him, and let him walk after the season and get at LEAST A 3rd round Comp pick for him.

THEN GO FIND ANOTHER TEAM!

mulldog24
04-20-2010, 07:43 PM
I really think that by signing Lefty that the FO is just preparing for Ben's suspension. The FO might think that Batch isn't good enough anymore and that Dixon isn't quite ready. Lefty might just be insurance cause he had success with us the last time he was here so I really don't think that Ben is going anywhere. Besides, another team would have to give up way to much to get him.

LVSteelersfan
04-20-2010, 07:48 PM

Have there been new Ben threads? But seriously folks, would someone else PLEASE talk about the Steelers, the draft, anything but Ben Ben Ben. It is getting to the point of being assinine. There are a lot of players on this team. Instead it is the same old thing over and over in a different thread. You can merge them right now if you like. And I will not read anything new that goes into it. Of course, I guess we have to wait until we know Ben's fate before this nonsense stops.

Hey, I heard we have a pretty good player on our team named Troy Polomolu. Anyone know anything about him? Is he a bust? (actually he will be a bust. In the HOF one day)

HometownGal
04-20-2010, 07:53 PM

Do you EVER have any positive input into anything? What a sorry life you must lead. :shake01:

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Seems like any time someone criticizes the Rooney's and any move they make, that person gets blasted to no end on this board. The Rooney's aren't gods, and if someone wants to criticize a move, let them. We're all fans here.

This is one subject I agree 100% with 'whatdoiknow' on. The Holmes trade was absolutely ridiculous. Sometimes the Rooney's need to off their high horse.

spyboots
04-20-2010, 08:05 PM
I certainly hope they don't cut off their nose to spite their face.

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Mark it down, if we trade Big Ben, we won't sniff a super bowl for 10 years... Window closed!

If the Steelers trade him, it will be the single worst move this franchise has ever made.

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Do you EVER have any positive input into anything? What a sorry life you must lead. :shake01:

Gal: Seriously, I don't appreciate that. That was uncalled for. I didn't attack you. I just stated how it would have been better for the team to just keep Santonio this season, and let him walk and sign what I'm sure would be a huge free agent deal with another team. And then we get awarded a Comp pick that would have been better than a single 5th in this draft. But I feel the fact that Holmes flunked another drug test made Art Rooney look like a fool for publically supporting Santonio...and he did to.
So I understand how mad and upset the Rooney's were. But you don't make business decisions when you are emotionally upset. And that trade was not a smart business decision. Hell Gal every single NFL reporter or TV announcer even says so. Can thay ALL be wrong ? And the Rooney's be right ?

I have alot of positives regarding my steelers. I am extremely Happy Troy is doing well, and will be back healthy. Ditto that regarding Aaron Smith as well. I know in our system that D-Linemen taken in the draft have at least a one year learning curve. It's a complecated Scheme Gal as you know. But, I definitely saw late season signs that Ziggy Hood, and Harris were picking it up, and making some fantastic plays. I can only Imagine what they will look like from the start this season:applaudit:

And I am also POSITIVE Gal that Roger Goodell is a big FAT Hypocrite if Ben gets anywhere CLOSE to the 6 to 8 games that I have seen reported at several sites.
That will make me really mad. And it will clearly be a decision based on the fact that Goodell is worried what the " Black " players will feel if Ben gets off light. But then again Gal,,,is two games light for a guy never arrested, charged or convicted ?
Especially when a " Multiple " woman-beater like Brandon Marshall had to serve only 1 game ?

But I am positive on some things Gal.

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 08:07 PM
part of me hopes he will be traded, part of me doesn't because I suffered through Bubby, Malone, Graham, Stewart, etc. etc. etc. But, if he is traded, we have again become the class act of the league, and everyone will again know that there is a standard that comes with bein a Pittsburgh Steeler

Wrong. That standard will only be set if they purge the roster of all the wrongdoers on the roster....starting with James Harrison and Jeff Reed.

If the Rooney's do this, this team is finished for the forseeable future.

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Yeah...we don't have a clue to we. The only reason this team has 2 rings this past decade is because of Ben. Without Ben, this is a 7-9 team. They can't run the ball, can't pass block, can't run block, can't defend the pass, worst ST in the entire league....yeah...we can win without Ben.

zulater
04-20-2010, 08:09 PM

I wish I was as confident as you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I predict the Steelers will trade Ben, it's just the way this offseason is going , nothing would surprise me at this point? :doh: I will disagree slightly with one thing you're saying here. If the Steelers do end up trading Ben I wont consider it to be a stupid move. As you say there are good businessment and they have insight into some things that we don't. So if they trade him I'll respect their decision and know that they had good cause, even though I'll wish it hadn't come to it.

It will be nice to talk about how stupid Colbert's second day picks are once again. :chuckle:

:wink02:

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Gal: Seriously, I don't appreciate that. That was uncalled for. I didn't attack you. I just stated how it would have been better for the team to just keep Santonio this season, and let him walk and sign what I'm sure would be a huge free agent deal with another team. And then we get awarded a Comp pick that would have been better than a single 5th in this draft. But I feel the fact that Holmes flunked another drug test made Art Rooney look like a fool for publically supporting Santonio...and he did to.
So I understand how mad and upset the Rooney's were. But you don't make business decisions when you are emotionally upset. And that trade was not a smart business decision. Hell Gal every single NFL reporter or TV announcer even says so. Can thay ALL be wrong ? And the Rooney's be right ?

I have alot of positives regarding my steelers. I am extremely Happy Troy is doing well, and will be back healthy. Ditto that regarding Aaron Smith as well. I know in our system that D-Linemen taken in the draft have at least a one year learning curve. It's a complecated Scheme Gal as you know. But, I definitely saw late season signs that Ziggy Hood, and Harris were picking it up, and making some fantastic plays. I can only Imagine what they will look like from the start this season:applaudit:

And I am also POSITIVE Gal that Roger Goodell is a big FAT Hypocrite if Ben gets anywhere CLOSE to the 6 to 8 games that I have seen reported at several sites.
That will make me really mad. And it will clearly be a decision based on the fact that Goodell is worried what the " Black " players will feel if Ben gets off light. But then again Gal,,,is two games light for a guy never arrested, charged or convicted ?
Especially when a " Multiple " woman-beater like Brandon Marshall had to serve only 1 game ?

But I am positive on some things Gal.

Good post man...these are some things that I absolutely agree with you on.

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Good post ?.....Thank you.

SteelPride1207
04-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Mark it down, if we trade Big Ben, we won't sniff a super bowl for 10 years... Window closed!

100% agree! We've had great teams under Bill Cowher but in all that time we lacked a franchise quarterback and we always fell short.

Last three NFL Superbowls won by quarterbacks Drew B, Peyton M, and Ben R... then a mediocre QB in Eli Manning following by the dominance of Tom B. Championships are won with franchise QB's or dominating defenses but rarely by anything else.

I will always continue to be a Steeler fan...but I will lose alot more respect for the Rooney's and their hypocrisy if they trade Ben R.

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 08:17 PM
If the Rooney's do this, this team is finished for the forseeable future.

I think it all depends on what they get for him. Ben has value, no doubt, but if a team makes an offer of even greater value, the Steelers may actually be stupid to reject it. I highly doubt this will happen, but we're only talking about hypotheticals here anyway. I question the rationality of anybody who says straight up "trading ben is stupid" or "trading ben is smart". These very draconian statements are about as foolish as saying it's stupid to buy a house - it all depends on how much the house costs.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 08:21 PM
How realistic would it be to have a trade offer of greater value than Ben though clopp? Personally, I wouldn't trade Ben for any QB in the league including Peyton or Brady. Neither one of them could do the stuff Ben has done behind our terrible offensive line. There's no way in hell if Ben is traded we would get anything close to fair value...even if it's 3 first round picks. Franchise QB's are just that rare. Imagine what it would take to get Peyton Manning from the Colts? Ben is what, 5 years younger too.

zulater
04-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I trust the Rooneys and they have done us good IMO.

I'm even happier with Art II than i thought i'd be.

But if they trade Ben over accusations and NO charges ? My trust in them takes a BIG hit.

Ya just don't deal a top 5 QB in his prime years.

You wouldn't normally, but obviously this situation is anything but normal. That's not to say that I think he'll be traded, but if he is I'll respect the decision just as I hope those Steelers fans that are spewing so much venom Ben's way will come to respect the decision to keep him if that's the way it turns out.

SteelPride1207
04-20-2010, 08:25 PM
I think it all depends on what they get for him. Ben has value, no doubt, but if a team makes an offer of even greater value, the Steelers may actually be stupid to reject it.

If a team were willing to part with three #1's, a couple of #2's, and a player or two....I might consider it because I would then spend a ton of money bringing in a top notch QB.

If I see Ben R traded for anything significantly less...it would be a HUGE mistake... that may take decades to overcome.

pancake
04-20-2010, 08:28 PM
I just think it is to scare Ben...

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 08:29 PM
It will be nice to talk about how stupid Colbert's second day picks are once again. :chuckle:

Well...Colbert is consistent. Can't deny that.

86WARD
04-20-2010, 08:29 PM

10 years...it will be another 20...at least...

They may not sniff a Championship game in 10.

SteelPride1207
04-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Trust the Rooneys? I agree completely!

I mean...we all know Santonio Holmes is the only player on the Steelers roster or in the league to smoke pot. I am just glad he was never involved in domestic violence or pissing in public....he would have definately been kicked off the team at once. We are just lucky the integrity of the Rooney's is strong enough to blindly support their bold decision to "clean up the team" by giving Santonio away for free.

86WARD
04-20-2010, 08:30 PM

His 5th round picks have contributed to the team in the last 10 years...after that...they rarely make the squad...lol...

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 08:31 PM

I think it's the media. Although I'm sure they (Front Office) discussed it.

What ever they do, I'm still a die hard Steelers fan. We've been pretty competitive these last 18 years or so.

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't think Ben is untradeable. But in all reality teams will try to Low ball us because of all this unrelated crap.
But I can come up with a couple of deals that would be fair. But still, I would rather keep Ben. And have him comeback after the suspension with a passion, and lead us to # 7 Championship. And just " STICK IT "
to all those reporters and wannabe writers like Mike Florio, and tell them ALL to Kiss his Big Ole Butt!!

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 08:34 PM

I mean...we all know Santonio Holmes is the only player on the Steelers roster or in the league to smoke pot. I am just glad he was never involved in domestic violence or pissing in public....he would have definately been kicked off the team at once. We are just lucky the integrity of the Rooney's is strong enough to blindly support their bold decision to "clean up the team" by giving Santonio away for free.

Well James Harrison was able to be arrested for without a doubt beating up the mother of his child and not get any kind of suspension or even a fine. The Rooney's are almost as big as hypocrites as Roger Goodell. I wouldn't trust the Rooney's as far as I could throw em.

zulater
04-20-2010, 08:37 PM
10 years...it will be another 20...at least...

They may not sniff a Championship game in 10.

You do realize the Steelers appeared in 4 AFC title games in the 10 years that preceeded Ben's arrival on the team? ( 94,95,97, 01)

Don't confuse me relaying that fact with me wanting Ben traded, but the point is Steeler tradition didn't start with Ben nor will it end with his departure.

SteelPride1207
04-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Well James Harrison was able to be arrested for without a doubt beating up the mother of his child and not get any kind of suspension or even a fine. The Rooney's are almost as big as hypocrites as Roger Goodell. I wouldn't trust the Rooney's as far as I could throw em.

My post was sarcastic since I was indirectly referrring to James Harrison and Jeff Reed.

Rooneys are hypocrites....and great football owners at the same time.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-20-2010, 08:39 PM
My second and last post on Ben.

I have cheered for him for the last time. I trashed anyone who cheered for the Patriots when they were deemed cheaters. I trashed anyone who still wore their Michael Vick jersey. I trash anyone who would stick up for Ben's behavior. I can't understand anyone who can still cheer his name. I can't imagine considering a Super Bowl more important than dignity. Yeah, there are others guys on the team that have done stupid crap and yes, I wish they were gone too. I want a team I can cheer for, if they win that's awesome, if not, that's cool too. I remember "Bounce-pass" Malone and Bubby Brister, and it's funny, I could cheer for them.

You want to think I'm as stupid as the Rooney's? That's fine. I could have worse company.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 08:39 PM
My post was sarcastic since I was indirectly referrring to James Harrison and Jeff Reed.

Rooneys are hypocrites....and great football owners at the same time.

My bad, got it now. Didn't read your post the whole way through.

HometownGal
04-20-2010, 08:40 PM
I wish I was as confident as you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I predict the Steelers will trade Ben, it's just the way this offseason is going , nothing would surprise me at this point? I will disagree slightly with one thing you're saying here. If the Steelers do end up trading Ben I wont consider it to be a stupid move. As you say there are good businessment and they have insight into some things that we don't. So if they trade him I'll respect their decision and know that they had good cause, even though I'll wish it hadn't come to it.

Oh I'm not saying that I wouldn't support the Rooneys decision - no matter what that decision is - but I maintain that they know how important Ben is to this team's success even though he has a ten cent head and a terminal bulge in his Fruit of the Looms.

whatdoiknow - Most times, you seem to post with a huge chip on your shoulder and that is why you get the reactions you do.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 08:43 PM
My second and last post on Ben.

I have cheered for him for the last time. I trashed anyone who cheered for the Patriots when they were deemed cheaters. I trashed anyone who still wore their Michael Vick jersey. I trash anyone who would stick up for Ben's behavior. I can't understand anyone who can still cheer his name. I can't imagine considering a Super Bowl more important than dignity. Yeah, there are others guys on the team that have done stupid crap and yes, I wish they were gone too. I want a team I can cheer for, if they win that's awesome, if not, that's cool too. I remember "Bounce-pass" Malone and Bubby Brister, and it's funny, I could cheer for them.

You want to think I'm as stupid as the Rooney's? That's fine. I could have worse company.

So when you watch games you root for Jeff Reed to miss FG's and James Harrison to miss tackles and you'll now root for Ben to throw picks. Some fan you are. Root for the overall product that's out on the field, not the morality of the players. The days are gone where the Steelers team is going to be filled with choir boys. They are no different than any other team.

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Good post. IMO they know what they got in Ben. A top 5 QB entering his prime years. Now alot of ppl want to make a fuss over his concussions etc as well, but with Ben you have a SB contending offense. No way i'd trade that unless a team offers un-realistic deal. And that just won't happen.

I expect Ben to have a short career for a couple of reasons. 1) His playing style. He has already taken 242 sacks in only 6 years. He doesn't have the offensive line, at least not now anyway, to maintain his playing style for a long period of time. He hasn't played a full season yet. Of course he could learn, but judging from his off the field behavior, I wouldn't count on it. 2) He's been hit by a car. Maybe I'm reaching here, but he had extensive brain trauma from not wearing a helmet, and didn't he almost die? This is a kind of trauma that probably instantly shortened his career 3) Combine his car accident with all his concussions, we may have a time bomb, or at least a guy who's will brain will require him to quit before he's ready.

When I see Ben, I don't see a Brett Favre, nor do I see a Steve Young who gracefully walked away before it was too late. I see Joe Namath (on and off the field actually).

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 08:45 PM
With this, I agree. Trading Ben just because of the allegation or his behavior would be foolish. But suppose they got "fair value" (you can decide this for yourself) for their franchise QB?

If the Rooney's contrast in stance towards between Harrison and Reed, and Bam Morris and Cedric Wilson is any indication, they'll put up with a considerable amount depending on how you perform but often use conduct as an excuse to drop the expendable. The Holmes trade indicates, though, that they do have a breaking point even with great players. Ben's on thin ice, but I don't think they're fed up yet. With that said, I think they are more willing to deal Ben than in a normal situation, but it will require a monster deal. Normally, I doubt they would even consider it.

Harrison and Reed we kept.

Ced we let go and Bam got into his BS after he left here.

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Seriously, please go root for another team.

SteelPride1207
04-20-2010, 08:47 PM
If Ben had picked up the DTF girl at a club and both decided to go back to his place to play out BOTH of their fantasies together....this ridiculous story would never have been embelished by the media.

What Ben did (up to whatever actually happened in the bathroom...in which NO EVIDENCE supported anything wrong) was stupid. But trying to get XXX with a girl advertising xxx and getting drunk with a guy in a bar...is a NORMAL college ritual.

Anyone wanting Ben traded need to quit their jobs and start a national protest outside of every single college bar in the United States.

Otherwise...people are really calling for Ben to be traded because of the pressure applied by stories sensationalized by the media and a bunch of sororiety girls applying peer pressure on the girl he xxx with in order to get attention.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Seriously, please go root for another team.

Nah sorry, I think I'll keep my 50 yard line season tickets while you watch the games from Jersey.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-20-2010, 08:49 PM
So when you watch games you root for Jeff Reed to miss FG's and James Harrison to miss tackles and you'll now root for Ben to throw picks. Some fan you are. Root for the overall product that's out on the field, not the morality of the players. The days are gone where the Steelers team is going to be filled with choir boys. They are no different than any other team.

I guess you missed the part when I said I wish they were gone too. That's cool.

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Root for the overall product that's out on the field

Yet..

If Ben goes, I go.

And the Rooney's are hypocrites? :doh:

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 08:51 PM
I guess you missed the part when I said I wish they were gone too. That's cool.

You can wish them gone all you want, but you're still going to root for them to do well on the field. Don't even act like you won't. And obviously if you don't, you're no Steeler fan.

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 08:52 PM

I agree. I wonder if that fan just turned away in disgust as James Harrison was running back that 100 yard INT. Just couldn't stomach the thought of a person with Harrison's past scoring a key TD for the Steelers.

Perhaps they don't put clothes in hampers any longer out of protest since we had Najeh on the team either. Just can't fathom the thought of using the same device that Najeh dropped load in.

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Nah sorry, I think I'll keep my 50 yard line season tickets while you watch the games from Jersey.

Yea, I'm sure you have those tickets too. :rofl:

You've probably never even been to Heinz Field, but whatever.

I'm holding you to it: "If Ben goes, YOU go." :chuckle:

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Harrison and Reed we kept.

Ced we let go and Bam got into his BS after he left here.

That was the I was making - except I always thought we cut Bam because of drugs.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-20-2010, 08:56 PM
I agree. I wonder if that fan just turned away in disgust as James Harrison was running back that 100 yard INT. Just couldn't stomach the thought of a person with Harrison's past scoring a key TD for the Steelers.

Perhaps they don't put clothes in hampers any longer out of protest since we had Najeh on the team either. Just can't fathom the thought of using the same device that Najeh dropped load in.

That fan was happy the Steelers scored, but didn't scream anything like "Yeah James! Hooray for you! Three cheers for Harrison!" I don't see how that's hard to get. Maybe I'm stuck in the past. Does that mean YOU cheer for Harrison?

SteelPride1207
04-20-2010, 08:56 PM

.................. :rofl:

Give It To Abercrombie
04-20-2010, 08:57 PM
You can wish them gone all you want, but you're still going to root for them to do well on the field. Don't even act like you won't. And obviously if you don't, you're no Steeler fan.

I'm the Steeler fan that can still say a Bengal fan is a douche for cheering a team of thugs and a-holes. How about you?

NEPAsteeler
04-20-2010, 08:58 PM

Maybe if Ben does go and he goes, you can take his tickets! :rofl:

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 08:58 PM

Ok, I'll admit it...they are on the 45 :flap:. Never been to Heinz field lol...I've been to every Steeler and Pitt Panther game since Heinz field opened. And yes, If the Rooney's are that big of hypocrites where they trade away a franchise QB because of accusations...I will definitely be rethinking my support of this team.

NEPAsteeler
04-20-2010, 09:00 PM
I will be behind the Rooney's no matter what they decide to do.

NJarhead
Ok, I'll admit it...they are on the 45 :flap:. Never been to Heinz field lol...I've been to every Steeler and Pitt Panther game since Heinz field opened.

Yea, I don't believe that for a second. And considering you have ZERO credibility here, I guess you'll need to post some pics.

Still, "If Ben goes, YOU go."

d2609j
Id say if the Raiders offered their 1st, 2nd and 4th round picks, its bye bye Ben. :applaudit:

zulater

I mean...we all know Santonio Holmes is the only player on the Steelers roster or in the league to smoke pot.

Any of the rest of them get issued a 4 game league suspension for it? Any other Steeler player get suspened for a game in the 2008 season for a related incident?

I am just glad he was never involved in domestic violence or pissing in public....he would have definately been kicked off the team at once.

Neither players issues rose to the level of requiring league sanctions.

We are just lucky the integrity of the Rooney's is strong enough to blindly support their bold decision to "clean up the team" by giving Santonio away for free.

There were some other issues involved with Holmes as well. It's been said he was frequently late to team meetings, and throw in his tweets about wanting to play in a different market, going to "wake and bake" and a couple others, and they decided they just had their fill of Santonio.

Maybe next time they'll consult with you first though? :flap:

NEPAsteeler
04-20-2010, 09:02 PM
There were some other issues involved with Holmes as well. It's been said he was frequently late to team meetings, and throw in his tweets about wanting to play in a different market, going to "wake and bake" and a couple others, and they decided they just had their fill of Santonio.

Isn't it obvious that they know what's best for the team and call all the shots? :doh:

C'mon now! :chuckle:

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Yea, I don't believe that for a second. And considering you have ZERO credibility here, I guess you'll need to post some pics.

Still, "If Ben goes, YOU go."

And I guess the people who want our 2 time SB winning franchise QB traded because of accusations HAVE credibility? Gotta love Steeler fans and this board.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 09:05 PM
I'd say 3 straight first round picks and a BJ by Jessica Alba for all of the Rooney's.

mesaSteeler
04-20-2010, 09:05 PM
A determination by the Rooney's that Ben will not change his ways.

zulater
04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
That fan was happy the Steelers scored, but didn't scream anything like "Yeah James! Hooray for you! Three cheers for Harrison!" I don't see how that's hard to get. Maybe I'm stuck in the past. Does that mean YOU cheer for Harrison?

I cheer for James Harrison. As far as I know that was an isolated incident and the woman wasn't even injured was she? Anyone can have a bad day. If it happens again then I'd want him gone though.

Jeff Reed, his incidents were almost comical. Sorry but having a run in with a towel dispenser and getting irate at city cops for ticketing Spaeth for taking a piss in a parking lot. :toofunny::toofunny:

mwittman5
04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
rams offering the number 1 pick and their 1st round pick next yr

SteelPride1207
04-20-2010, 09:07 PM

I guess beating your wife isn't as serious as getting late to meetings and throwing in a couple of controversial tweets. Good call...! :thumbsup:

cloppbeast
How realistic would it be to have a trade offer of greater value than Ben though clopp? Personally, I wouldn't trade Ben for any QB in the league including Peyton or Brady. Neither one of them could do the stuff Ben has done behind our terrible offensive line. There's no way in hell if Ben is traded we would get anything close to fair value...even if it's 3 first round picks. Franchise QB's are just that rare. Imagine what it would take to get Peyton Manning from the Colts? Ben is what, 5 years younger too.

Yeah, but in football years Ben is a little closer in age. Ben already has more sacks than both P. Manning and Brady. His sack total will probably continue to climb. Combined with his accident and multiple concussions, I don't see him having a long career. I would take considerably less than what you would. Colbert hasn't missed on a first round pick, yet, keep in mind, so I trust that if he sees a QB in first worth taking that he will also be good. I would probably accept 2 first round picks for Ben. I doubt the Roony's would, though. They are probably thinking more along your lines.

whatdoiknow
Id say if the Raiders offered their 1st, 2nd and 4th round picks, its bye bye Ben. :applaudit:

Not close. Remember, Denver got 2 1st rounders, a 2nd, and a 5th, and a starting QB from Chicago for Cutler. And Cutler isn't close to the talent that Ben is.

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:08 PM
And I guess the people who want our 2 time SB winning franchise QB traded because of accusations HAVE credibility? Gotta love Steeler fans and this board.

How many folks have you heard say they want Ben gone? One? Two?

Most are upset with him. Most want him kept. Most will stand by the Steelers no matter what they do.

I throw you into the same category along with those wanting Ben gone in that it's an extreme. Just like saying "I wouldn't trust the Rooney's as far as I can throw them" or "If Ben goes, I go." Who fricken cares??? Did you honestly think Art Rooney Jr. was going to see your sig, call you and say, "hey listen, we'll keep Ben. Just please don't leave Steeler Nation." Is that what you thought?

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Can I have your imaginary tickets when you leave? :chuckle:

Give It To Abercrombie
04-20-2010, 09:10 PM
I cheer for James Harrison. As far as I know that was an isolated incident and the woman wasn't even injured was she? Anyone can have a bad day. If it happens again then I'd want him gone though.

Jeff Reed, his incidents were almost comical. Sorry but having a run in with a towel dispenser and getting irate at city cops for ticketing Spaeth for taking a piss in a parking lot. :toofunny::toofunny:

And I can see that. It ain't me, but I can see it. Harrison was one time. Reed is just a goon and hurts no one but himself. That's where you can draw a comparison to why they are around still. That's why I don't see hypocrisy in the ownership. Patterns of behavior.

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Not close. Remember, Denver got 2 1st rounders, a 2nd, and a 5th, and a starting QB from Chicago for Cutler. And Cutler isn't close to the talent that Ben is.

Is this what you meant?

Here are the trade details: The Bears will send their No. 18 pick in 2009 and top pick in 2010, a third-round pick in 2009 and quarterback Kyle Orton (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8520) to Denver.
Denver will send Jay Cutler (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9597) and the first of Denver's two fifth-round picks in 2009 to Chicago.

zulater
04-20-2010, 09:13 PM
I guess beating your wife isn't as serious as getting late to meetings and throwing in a couple of controversial tweets. Good call...! :thumbsup:

With Harrison it was an isolated incident and saying he beat her up is more than a slight exaggeration. Anyone's entitled to one bad day, Holmes had quite a few.

Oh yeah and Santonio was arrested for domestic assualt himself.

Idiot.

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Okay, but comparing Cutler to Ben is like calling Kordell just as good as Dan Marino was. If San Fran offered up their 1st rounder at 13, their 3rd rounder at 79, and their 4th rounder, as well as Patrick Willis, and their 1st rounder in 2011 I might talk about it. But any offer less than that is a ridiculous one.

SteelPride1207
04-20-2010, 09:17 PM

:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Okay, but comparing Cutler to Ben is like calling Kordell just as good as Dan Marino was. If San Fran offered up their 1st rounder at 13, their 3rd rounder at 79, and their 4th rounder, as well as Patrick Willis, and their 1st rounder in 2011 I might talk about it. But any offer less than that is a ridiculous one.

Agreed.

What if (and I feel dumb even participating, but what the hell) St. Louis offered this years 1st and next years first. Nothing more.

That's a lot of value right there.

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 09:20 PM

I have no problem cheering for Harrison.

I also understand that every single NFL team has bad character guys like this. The Steelers have had guys like Harrison, Porter, Holmes (Ernie and Santonio), an O'line that used Steroids in the 1970's and Carlton Haselrig in the 1990's, and Jeff Reed.

It's the NFL, not the Seminary.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 09:22 PM
And I can see that. It ain't me, but I can see it. Harrison was one time. Reed is just a goon and hurts no one but himself. That's where you can draw a comparison to why they are around still. That's why I don't see hypocrisy in the ownership. Patterns of behavior.

So one incident of being arrested for no doubt about it, slapping a woman around (Harrison even admitted this and said he regretted it)...is not as big of deal as only being ACCUSED twice and not arrested or charged in either? LOL...you and the Rooney's would get along good I guess with all of the hypocrisy and all.

SteelPride1207
04-20-2010, 09:23 PM
With Harrison it was an isolated incident and saying he beat her up is more than a slight exaggeration. Anyone's entitled to one bad day, Holmes had quite a few.

Oh yeah and Santonio was arrested for domestic assualt himself.

Idiot.

So...domestic violence is ok if you do it once but if you get accused twice of sexual assault with no supporting evidence then you need to go. BRILLIANT!!!

Definately impressed with the intelligence level demonstrated by a few posters.

I have a new strategy for defeating our opponents in 2010-2011.

Us fans can just hire a girl to hang out at any club, restuarant, etc that our opponents best players frequent... then have her make baseless accusations of sexual assault... then...those players can be suspended just prior to us playing their team. 16-0 here we come.....

:popcorn:

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Agreed.

What if (and I feel dumb even participating, but what the hell) St. Louis offered this years 1st and next years first. Nothing more.

I would easily turn it down, and I will tell you why. One,,Sam Bradford is going to LEAP over QB's like Ryan Leaf and J.Russell as the worst QB ever selected first overall. Bradford is a Injury waiting to happen. He will demand like 50 + million in guaranteed money before he ever tosses a ball,,and that would place the Steelers in a dangerous area as it goes to re-signing players like Woodley, or Mike Wallace.

Truth be told sir, I would rather have multiple Mid-1st rounders in back to back years, and a extra 3rd and 4th as well as a good player for Ben. Cause I really feel that players like Colt McCoy are going to be way better player than Bradford.

And that is why I decline that Rams offer.

ricksteelers55
04-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Agreed.

For me it's all about value,if we could get these 2 first round picks I would be willing then to trade down the 1st overall pick for a package of draft picks.

But obviously Ben for let's say a 2nd rounder or anything less than a big package of draft picks(including at least a 1st rounder) would be silly.

But I think just the fact that we are discussing trade possibilities should be great to humble Ben a bit

zulater
04-20-2010, 09:25 PM

Bingo!

I hope trading Ben isn't deemed to be a neccessity, but if the Steelers come to a determination that a parting of the ways is required I doubt they'll get anything even close to equal value in return.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 09:26 PM
So...domestic violence is ok if you do it once but if you get accused twice of sexual assault with no supporting evidence then you need to go. BRILLIANT!!!

Us fans can just hire a girl to hang out at any club, restuarant, etc that our opponents best players frequent... then have her make baseless accusations of sexual assault... then...those players can be suspended just prior to us playing their team.

:hatsoff::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::hatsoff:

Thank you. There is hope for this board after all.

zulater
04-20-2010, 09:29 PM

Go find the post where I say i want Ben traded? I can find you scores where I've supported him against these charges.

Us fans can just hire a girl to hang out at any club, restuarant, etc that our opponents best players frequent... then have her make baseless accusations of sexual assault... then...those players can be suspended just prior to us playing their team.

Know who you're talking to and what their position is before you go making stupid statements like this.

ricksteelers55
04-20-2010, 09:29 PM
and it's not because we went 20 + yrs before having a great QB that we wouldnt be able to grab another one early after his departure too.

Again if they trade him,i'll back them up,if they keep him i'll back them up too.Rooneys will make the best decision because that's what they do best.

And BTW: yeah we didnt win a SB for 20+ years and we are still the only team with 6 lombardis

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Know who you're talking to and what their position is before you go making stupid statements like this.

Gotta love these newbie chest thumpers, eh Zu?

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 09:31 PM
If the Rooney's trade Ben and then the Steelers follow up with non-playoff seasons, I predict that Steeler fans will turn their blame on the Rooney's. They will still be angry at Ben, but the anger will spread to the Rooney's as well.

SteelPride1207
04-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Gotta love these newbie chest thumpers, eh Zu?

A person is a newbie because he just starting posting on this board... :rofl:

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:33 PM
If the Rooney's trade Ben and then the Steelers follow up with non-playoff seasons, I predict that Steeler fans will turn their blame on the Rooney's. They will still be angry at Ben, but the anger will spread to the Rooney's as well.

Let them. I couldn't care less.

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I would easily turn it down, and I will tell you why. One,,Sam Bradford is going to LEAP over QB's like Ryan Leaf and J.Russell as the worst QB ever selected first overall. Bradford is a Injury waiting to happen. He will demand like 50 + million in guaranteed money before he ever tosses a ball,,and that would place the Steelers in a dangerous area as it goes to re-signing players like Woodley, or Mike Wallace.

Truth be told sir, I would rather have multiple Mid-1st rounders in back to back years, and a extra 3rd and 4th as well as a good player for Ben. Cause I really feel that players like Colt McCoy are going to be way better player than Bradford.

And that is why I decline that Rams offer.

I know jack squat about any of this year's QB's. But from what I do know, I woul likely take the Rams offer and get Suh with their pick, Colt McCoy with ours and see what happens next year.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 09:34 PM

Yeah didn't you get that memo...the more posts you have, the bigger Steeler fan you are...even if you're from douche bag USA Jersey.

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Let them. I couldn't care less.

You aren't in the position to care, but the Rooney's will once it begins to affect their pocket book. Losing seasons mean less fans in seats, less merchandise sold, and no playoff revenue.

It is in the Rooney's best interest to give Ben one final chance to get his life straightened out. There have been players who have done it. Who is to say that Ben can't as well.

d2609j
04-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Agreed.

It would turn into alot of value, because the steelers would most likely trade out of the #1 overall pick. No way the would take bradford or spend the $ on the # 1 overall. But if they traded down to the Bills, or Seahawks for a their #1 this year and #1 next year. That would give them three # 1s next year and two # 1s this year.

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 09:37 PM
I know jack squat about any of this year's QB's. But from what I do know, I woul likely take the Rams offer and get Suh with their pick, Colt McCoy with ours and see what happens next year.

Now the Colt McCoy statement we can agree with. I think he's going to be a terrific NFL QB.

SteelPride1207
04-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Yeah didn't you get that memo...the more posts you have, the bigger Steeler fan you are...even if you're from douche bag USA Jersey.

Wow...I guess Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann, Mike Tomlin, and even the Rooney's themselves are no fans since they've probably never posted on this board. Whew... glad you cleared that up... this board is so lucky to have BIG FANS who are such brilliant posters.

PS...I would have added Lambert...but he would have probably kicked all our xxxes.

OX1947
04-20-2010, 09:39 PM

Exactly what I would do. I think a fair trade for Pittsburgh would be this years 1st overall, next years 1. Issue only would be, #1 overall money. I do not think the Steelers would want to pay that kind of money to anyone who isn't a QB.

zulater
04-20-2010, 09:40 PM

I don't judge by post count, only by post content.

I find your post's generally lacking. :flap:.

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:42 PM

Yea. "NEEEEEEEW....Be." Get it?

Don't leave out the chest thumping part Newb.

Godfather
04-20-2010, 09:42 PM
I'd take 2010 and 2011 first rounders from Oakland because any Oakland pick is guaranteed to be a high first rounder as long as Al Davis is alive.

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:45 PM

Man you are one ignorant individual.

I don't want to hear another damn word about what a big Steeler Fan your dumbass is, Mrs. "If Ben goes, I go."

What's ironic, is all of your throwing around the word "hypocrite."

What a loser.

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 09:45 PM

The Steelers, although they had never been a Superbowl winner, had a very successful franchise before they got Ben. In the previous 10 years before getting Ben, they made the playoffs most years, made the SB one year, and made it to multiple AFC Championship games. If that's what we resorted to after trading Ben, I don't think the SteelersNation would hate the Rooney's too much.

Nobody, that I've read anyway, has considered the fact that Ben could go to another team and stink it up just like Cutler did in Chicago. The Steelers didn't win 2 SBs simply because they had Ben, they were a good team also. Ben, and I'm just throwing this out there, could be kind of like a Kurt Warner - good when he's on a good team, bad when he's on a bad team. Remember how bad, maybe average is a better word, Ben looked in 2006. That same year, the Steelers did bad also. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Of course Ben did just have surgery and get hit by a car, so maybe the Steelers were worse simply because he was playing bad.

I'm just throwing it out there.

NEPAsteeler
04-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Man you are one ignorant individual.

I don't want to hear another damn word about what a big Steeler Fan your dumbass is, Mrs. "If Ben goes, I go."

What's ironic, is all of your throwing around the word "hypocrite."

What a loser.

Shush. What do you know? You're from douche bag USA Jersey. :flap:

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:47 PM
You aren't in the position to care, but the Rooney's will once it begins to affect their pocket book. Losing seasons mean less fans in seats, less merchandise sold, and no playoff revenue.

It is in the Rooney's best interest to give Ben one final chance to get his life straightened out. There have been players who have done it. Who is to say that Ben can't as well.

Do you really believe it would affect ticket and merchandise sales? I don't believe that for a second.

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Shush. What do you know? You're from douche bag USA Jersey. :flap:

lol. Who knew? :noidea:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-20-2010, 09:50 PM
1st and 2nd this year
1st and 3rd next year

NEPAsteeler
04-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Bottom line is that the Rooney's know what's best for the Pittsburgh Steelers and whatever they end up doing, I will support them.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Yes, the Rooney's always know what's best and never ever make mistakes. They are gods...and whoever disagrees with a decision they make is not as big of Steeler fan.

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Do you really believe it would affect ticket and merchandise sales? I don't believe that for a second.

Losing could do that if a playoff slump happens like it did in the 1980's.

Remember how bad it was in the 1980's and early 90's until Cowher took over and re-energized the team. That slump started with the retirement of Bradshaw and a bunch of bad drafts. Let's faceit, our drafts haven't been that great lately and this team is not that young any longer. Trading away our Franchise QB could certainly send this team in prolonged slump.

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Yes, the Rooney's always know what's best and never ever make mistakes. They are gods...and whoever disagrees with a decision they make is not as big of Steeler fan.

Or maybe just an idiot. Don't beat yourself up.

NEPAsteeler
04-20-2010, 09:56 PM

Yep. 'Cuz that's exactly what I said. :coffee:

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:57 PM

Remember how bad it was in the 1980's and early 90's until Cowher took over and re-energized the team. That slump started with the retirement of Bradshaw and a bunch of bad drafts. Let's faceit, our drafts haven't been that great lately and this team is not that young any longer. Trading away our Franchise QB could certainly send this team in prolonged slump.

I need to mill that over for a bit. I'm really having a hard time envisioning that big an impact.

Let me ask you this: Do you think we'd cease to be competitive then (if Ben was traded away)?

4xSBChamps
04-20-2010, 09:58 PM

"... and all polling-places are now closed..."

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/Cronkite-JFK.jpg

NJarhead
04-20-2010, 09:58 PM

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 10:00 PM

It was more of a shot towards Jersey Boy...who has been blasting anyone who has a different opinion other than the Rooney's.

Pretty sure you can be a fan and still criticize if you want, unless your head is shoved so far up the Rooney's ass like someone's appears to be where they can do no wrong.

NEPAsteeler
04-20-2010, 10:00 PM
:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Gotta love it :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 10:01 PM
The Steelers, although they had never been a Superbowl winner, had a very successful franchise before they got Ben. In the previous 10 years before getting Ben, they made the playoffs most years, made the SB one year, and made it to multiple AFC Championship games. If that's what we resorted to after trading Ben, I don't think the SteelersNation would hate the Rooney's too much.

Nobody, that I've read anyway, has considered the fact that Ben could go to another team and stink it up just like Cutler did in Chicago. The Steelers didn't win 2 SBs simply because they had Ben, they were a good team also. Ben, and I'm just throwing this out there, could be kind of like a Kurt Warner - good when he's on a good team, bad when he's on a bad team. Remember how bad, maybe average is a better word, Ben looked in 2006. That same year, the Steelers did bad also. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Of course Ben did just have surgery and get hit by a car, so maybe the Steelers were worse simply because he was playing bad.

I'm just throwing it out there.

Ben is light years better than Cutler. That comparison is like saying that Frank Pollard was as good as Jerome Bettis. Cutler couldn't carry Ben's jock. Ben wouldn't fail anywhere else.

The Steelers have their SB's in the 2000's because of Ben. No way, no how does this team win with Stewart, Maddox, or Batch at the helm. As you mentioned, they were good in the 1990's, but they didn't have a QB to make the difference. The best one they had was NOD and he was slightly above average at best.

Based upon Ben's track record, his season was due to the injuries he suffered before the season and during the season. It was an off year for him. It's the only one he has had.

zulater
04-20-2010, 10:01 PM
The ironic thing is I was directing this thread more towards Ben's detractors on this board than his supporters. My hope was that they would see that the Rooney's wouldn't keep Ben if they thought him the person he's been made out to be by many in the national and local media.

But then it get hijacked by the dynamic duo who seem to think that anything less than swinging from Ben's sack is a full out attack on them and their hero. :chuckle::rofl:

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 10:02 PM
There were a lot of people in the Pittsburgh media who blasted the Santonio Holmes trade...but hey I guess they don't know as much or are as big as fans as someone from Jersey who posts on a Steelers message board.

NEPAsteeler
04-20-2010, 10:03 PM
The ironic thing is I was directing this thread more towards Ben's detractors on this board than his supporters. My hope was that they would see that the Rooney's wouldn't keep Ben if they thought him the person he's been made out to be by many in the national and local media.

But then it get hijacked by the dynamic duo who seem to think that anything less than swinging from Ben's sack is a full out attack on them and their hero. :chuckle::rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

zulater
04-20-2010, 10:04 PM

There never would have been a slump if only they would have picked Marino in 83!!!! :doh:

zulater
04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
There were a lot of people in the Pittsburgh media who blasted the Santonio Holmes trade...but hey I guess they don't know as much or are as big as fans as someone from Jersey who posts on a Steelers message board.

Who?

There was an initial shock value the way it happened and all, but once the smoke settled and information started to drift in ( such as an impending 4 game suspension) most media members conceeded that the Steelers were probably operating on firm footing.

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 10:11 PM
I need to mill that over for a bit. I'm really having a hard time envisioning that big an impact.

Let me ask you this: Do you think we'd cease to be competitive then (if Ben was traded away)?

I think the team would be competitive, but I don't think it would be a threat to win anything noteworthy. I firmly believe that without Ben, this team is a 7-9 to 9-7 team consistently. Why, because we can't pass block, can't run block, can't run the ball because of run blocking, and we have the worst Special Teams in the entire league. To this team, I do believe that Ben is that important. Any other QB would get killed behind this O'line.

Hopefully the defense will bounce back with Troy and Aaron Smith coming back.

Bottom line is, the 1983 through 1991 sucked. 1998 through 2000 sucked. All of those years had one thing in common...terrible QB play. The fans blamed the Steelers for years for passing up on Marino....even though at the time there were rumors of his drug use. Over time, the fans forgot the rumors of drug use and only saw the results on the field. I wonder if, over time, fans will forget and forgive Ben's faults, and focus on the results on the field.

ysgi
04-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Remind me....how many SB rings does Marino have?

-ysgi

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 10:16 PM

-ysgi

What does that have to do with anything?

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Ben is light years better than Cutler.

I wasn't trying to compare Ben to Cutler. I was only trying to make the point that Ben may not be as good if he played somewhere else.

Ben wouldn't fail anywhere else.

We're not talking about baseball. Football is a team sport, and no matter what, you depend on the 11 guys around you. I highly doubt Ben would be as good in St. Louis. Cutler serves as a useful example. When Cutler was throwing to Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal life was easy. A year later he found himself throwing to a glorified kick returner and an overrated softy tight end. He did much worse. I wouldn't expect Ben to dropoff as much, but he wouldn't be as good playing for any other team other than maybe the Colts, Patriots, or the Eagles.This contrast could not only ring true for any QB in the league, but also any player in the league. Even if Ben is better than Cutler, he still depends on other players on the team.

Based upon Ben's track record, his season was due to the injuries he suffered before the season and during the season. It was an off year for him. It's the only one he has had.

In 2008-2009, he had an average year statistically. Coming off a 32 TD season, he only threw 17 with 15 ints and a QB rating of 80. To be fair, though, he did lead his team on numerous game winning drives, including one memorable game winning Superbowl drive.

I'm not so sure we didn't win SB XL despite Ben's play.

Psyychoward86
04-20-2010, 10:22 PM

-ysgi

0. Point being?

mesaSteeler
04-20-2010, 10:22 PM
The general assumption seems to be that if the Steelers keep Ben he will continue to play at a high level. I would like to think that will be true but I'm not so sure. Consider the number of concussions he has had both on and off the field and the the immense pressure he has been under this off season. Assuming he is under center this year and plays like crap how long before the Steeler fans turn on him? Ben actions off the field have destroyed a lot, if not all, of the good will that he has built up.

Steelers fans are a tough crowd. I remember Steelers fans applauding when Terry Bradshaw was injured early in his career.

How do you think Steelers fans will react if Ben comes back from suspension and plays badly?

I'm sure the Rooney's are factoring this into their decision making.

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm not so sure we didn't win SB XL despite Ben's play.

Do you honestly believe that we beat Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Denver with Tommy Maddox or Charlie Batch leading the team? Ben was the reason we won those 3 playoff games.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Do you honestly believe that we beat Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Denver with Tommy Maddox or Charlie Batch leading the team? Ben was the reason we won those 3 playoff games.

Exactly...we wouldn't of sniffed Super Bowl XL without Ben playing out of his mind in the playoff games leading up to it.

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 10:27 PM
The general assumption seems to be that if the Steelers keep Ben he will continue to play at a high level. I would like to think that will be true but I'm not so sure. Consider the number of concussions he has had both on and off the field and the the immense pressure he has been under this off season. Assuming he is under center this year and plays like crap how long before the Steeler fans turn on him? Ben actions off the field have destroyed a lot, if not all, of the good will that he has built up.

Steelers fans are a tough crowd. I remember Steelers fans applauding when Terry Bradshaw was injured early in his career.

How do you think Steelers fans will react if Ben comes back from suspension and plays badly?

I'm sure the Rooney's are factoring this into their decision making.

The concussion arguement is a valid one. I'm not sure how many more Ben can suffer before he needs to retire like Steve Young did.

I have always thought that fans who cheer when a player gets hurt are classless. As upset as I was in the 1994 Championship Game, I was equally upset when Steeler fans cheered when Junior Seau was laying on the ground hurt.

Fans will boo no matter who plays badly...regardless of legal stuff hanging over their head. The entire defense was boo'd last year...and deserved it.

The Rooney's should factor this in, but they also need to factor in that Ben is "That Good".

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Exactly...we wouldn't of sniffed Super Bowl XL without Ben playing out of his mind in the playoff games leading up to it.

Or without Kimo or Mike Vanderjagt.

zulater
04-20-2010, 10:29 PM

I hate when people make that argument. You would have thought the Steelers got to SB XL by invitation. :doh:

Ben had 3 strong games to help get the Steelers through the AFC playoffs, and he also had the game saving tackle in one too. :hatsoff:

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Or without Kimo or Mike Vanderjagt.

Kimo didn't do anything to stop Kitna from driving up and down the field in the first half of that game. The Shane Graham missed FG at the beginning of the 2nd half changed the entire momentum of the game. Ben played great in that game.

It was Ben's play in that game that got the big lead. It was Peter Morelli's call that brought the Colts back.

atlee731
04-20-2010, 10:45 PM
It would turn into alot of value, because the steelers would most likely trade out of the #1 overall pick. No way the would take bradford or spend the $ on the # 1 overall. But if they traded down to the Bills, or Seahawks for a their #1 this year and #1 next year. That would give them three # 1s next year and two # 1s this year.

If you could guarantee a trade down like this from #1, that would be huge. You could guarantee Locker or Mallett next year, while still picking up a OT and CB this year. Maybe even trade 18 down for GB's 1st and 3rd, and then packaging our 2nd and a 3rd to get back up into high 2nd. Go home with Bulaga/Pouncey/Jackson this year and pick up Locker or Mallett next year?

steelreserve
04-20-2010, 10:52 PM
What would it take for us to unload Ben? Him getting arrested for more drunken antics, that's all.

I agree with the value we're putting on him (roughly two first-rounders and up), but I'm afraid that we won't trade him unless he puts himself in a situation that forces our hand, and we once again get less than we'd hoped. Though I doubt we'll get ourselves such a shitty deal as we did with Holmes.

mesaSteeler
04-20-2010, 10:52 PM
The concussion arguement is a valid one. I'm not sure how many more Ben can suffer before he needs to retire like Steve Young did.

I have always thought that fans who cheer when a player gets hurt are classless. As upset as I was in the 1994 Championship Game, I was equally upset when Steeler fans cheered when Junior Seau was laying on the ground hurt.

Fans will boo no matter who plays badly...regardless of legal stuff hanging over their head. The entire defense was boo'd last year...and deserved it.

The Rooney's should factor this in, but they also need to factor in that Ben is "That Good".

The only way Ben can win his way back to popularity is to win on the field. That's puts immense pressure on him to think he has to win the game by himself. He's already a gambling QB who holds the ball longer than other quarterbacks. It's a high risk tactic that sometimes works spectacularly well and other times fails terribly.

So now the question becomes will the pressure to win on Ben, due to his off the field problems, cause him to take even more chances?

If he takes more chances and fails early, then that could easily lead to a downward spiral in Ben's play because of him taking too many chances that other teams would then capitalize on.

Remember he does not have Holmes to throw to anymore.

A few game losing interceptions then Steelers fans may turn on him which would make the situation even worse.

If the Steelers keep him then we will see if he is the same player who won the the Super Bowl or not. I hope he would be but I'm not so sure he will be.

I'm sure the Rooney's are thinking about this.

atlee731
04-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I'd go atleast 20.

Why would a Ben trade hurt after 2020 or so? I don't think a 48yo Ben is winning a Super Bowl. And with his sack numbers, I'm not sure a 38yo Ben is not the new Steve Young either.

I think he's the surest thing we have so I'm not advocating a trade, but I'm not sure where a Ben trade with a boatload of picks coming back to reinforce holes is the same as Terry retiring with no return.

Steelerfreak58
04-20-2010, 11:16 PM
What have we done before Ben and after Terry? If we had a QB like either of them in the 90's we could have had a couple more.

I am saying at least 10 years without sniffing a SB...

The Steelers did have first option on Dan Marino a hometown boy and didn't take it in 1983. Just saying.

steelerdude15
04-20-2010, 11:32 PM
I thought Ben being traded was out of the question.

wootawnee
04-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Ben's gotta go out of his way to change things............

steelerdude15
04-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Ben= innocent... anyways, he won't be traded... well, he shouldn't be.

kimball19
04-20-2010, 11:55 PM
But many of us had nothing to do with this. Is this something that minorities..of all color..will still be harping on 50 years from now when the generation that did this has long been dead?

I'm an Officer in my company and if the person sitting across from me is not qualified....they don't get hired. I don't care what color they are and I don't care how white, black, asian, or hispanic my group is. I only want people who can do the job that I hire them to do.

If people do their job and do it right, people in a working environment will get along. It's when people are hired that are not qualified where work issues arise.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Once the generation that's responsible for 9/11 is dead, do you think the US will do away with the Patriot Act and airline security and all the hoopla that followed? It's not hard to understand why they won't just throw all those precautions out the window. It's because the threat will still exist.

So unless we can somehow make racism disappear - yeah folks will still be "harping" on it 50 years from now. The original acts were commited generations ago, but people have been whole-heartedly keeping those acts alive and recreating them in some form or fashion to this day. Racism was born eons ago. It hasn't died yet. I think people tend to confuse the end of slavery with the end of racism.

As far as affirmative action is concerned, I would like to see the statistics on how many unqualified people were actually hired because of this law. What's the percentage? 20, 50, 95? Let most folks tell it - every instance of affirmative action involved a case of a lesser qualified minority getting the job over a more qualified white person. I've never heard a non-minority state otherwise. That in itself is just insane. Like, were there no cases where the more qualified minorty got the job in a situation where s/he would have been otherwise overlooked? Really? The white person was always more qualified? If so, then you to have to ask yourself why? Why is that? Why is the white person always more qualified? Better education? More opportunities? Why? Why is that?

See? If you start asking those questions - I guarantee, you'll end up back in the same spot. It's a never-ending cycle. We all know where the cycle started. We've been "harping" on it for generations. We have to work towards stopping the cycle. In order to do that, you have to talk about it, you have take action. You have to harp. Otherwise you make no progress.

MattsMe
04-21-2010, 12:05 AM

That is by far the best news I've read about Ben in over a year. I have but one request.
Can we let the "ben ben ben ben ben ben ben ben" thread stand alone?

JCPsteelers
04-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Yeah...we don't have a clue to we. The only reason this team has 2 rings this past decade is because of Ben. Without Ben, this is a 7-9 team. They can't run the ball, can't pass block, can't run block, can't defend the pass, worst ST in the entire league....yeah...we can win without Ben.

this.. :hatsoff:

And the ones who think we can win with defense and an average QB obviously forgot how the defense spit the bit in the 4th quarter of the Super Bow against the Cardsl.. Ben was the one that bailed the team out.

Rooney's trade Ben you can forget winning a championship for two decades. Players win championships not owners.. Exactly how many championships did the Rooney's win in the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's? You guys that blindly believe that the Rooney's are the reason why we have had a successful last 35 years and that we will continue to win because of the "rooney's" are very naive..

tony hipchest
04-21-2010, 12:24 AM
That is by far the best news I've read about Ben in over a year. I have but one request.

i started that thread with hopes that one day all threads would eventually be merged into that one...

stand alone is even better.

brett favre.

Steeldude
04-21-2010, 12:45 AM

so BR is the only QB who can help the steelers to the SB?

xbroughneck
04-21-2010, 01:09 AM
I really think that by signing Lefty that the FO is just preparing for Ben's suspension. The FO might think that Batch isn't good enough anymore and that Dixon isn't quite ready. Lefty might just be insurance cause he had success with us the last time he was here so I really don't think that Ben is going anywhere. Besides, another team would have to give up way to much to get him.

This is the ONLY reason they signed him.

Ben sidelined for the first 4 games.

Steelers need to have 3 QBs on the roster...and as bad as Byron is, he's better than Hines or Randle El. Plus, he knows the system.

They can then release him when Ben comes back.

Nothing more here.

JeffersonStreetGhost
04-21-2010, 01:11 AM
Where's Turkey Joe Jones been these past few years? Or Fats Holmes and his leetle bow and arrow? Could have used those guys to pound some sense into the current QB. There's an old guy named Myron potted in Carnegie's Chartiers marble orchard, and that old guy is threatening an appropriate comeback.

Triple Yoi!

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=24919882&PIpi=9507157

xbroughneck
04-21-2010, 01:13 AM

So...Terry Bradshaw was the only QB who can help the Steelers....well, considering it took another 25 years...YEAH. BECAUSE WE KNOW BEN WORKS ON THIS TEAM.

How successful were the Steelers BEFORE Terry Bradshaw? Not very.

Ben is even more important to this Steeler offense than Terry was to the offenses of the 70s.

He's not bigger than the team, but he's x2 bigger than anyone else on the team. Period. You think Troy was important last year? Ben is 2x as important.

The Rooneys should only trade him if he messes up again.

steeldawg
04-21-2010, 02:12 AM

they were not gonna get a 3rd round comp are you nuts!!!!!!!!!! his salary for his last year was only 755,000 dollars minus the 4 game suspension. the comp picks are based on salary and performance. So a guy with a minimal salary after his suspension and the fact he will be missing 4 games of stats plus a failed drug test oh yeah the nfl is giving a 3rd round comp for him!!!! a 3rd round is the highest pick they award and thats for high priced free agents leaving. Dont you think the FO would of factored that in to their decision, Im sure they reading your post and saying "oh no we didnt even think of that".

Preacher
04-21-2010, 03:02 AM

The other thing about Harrison, is the fact that he recognized it got out of hand, and actually RETURNED to the house as soon as the cops called. He took all the responsibility himself and instantly submitted to any and all requests for counseling according to the stories then.

Furthermore, there has been nothing at all about him in the papers since.

Jeff Reed is at the level that people want to make Ben R. Reed is pulling college frat boy stunts. He needs to grow up, but isn't doing anything dangerous.

HometownGal
04-21-2010, 05:24 AM

I'll strongly consider it. :wink:

Rick5895
04-21-2010, 06:01 AM
These threads of continually bashing each other when people disagree are getting tiresome.
I am a PITTSBURGH STEELERS FAN, players come and go, the team stays the same. The NFL is a cross section of society, in society you have criminals, people who get into some trouble and "saints", the NFL has that as well and by extention the teams. I have been a Steeler fan for almost 40 years, I bleed Black and Gold, The admiration I have for the Rooneys can not be put into words. Do I think we didn't get enough for Holmes, yes, but I am pleased to see they rid themselves of "wake and bake" Santo. If they were to trade ben, I would fully stand behind it, although I think he gets one more chance.

Unfortunatly for Ben, he makes "stupid" choices, acts like a frat boy and doesn't have the maturity he should have considering his position on the team and his fame. He is a 2 X super bowl champ QB, that gets him more notoriety than most players, he was a first round pick and the face of the most respected franchise in sports, so every time he steps out (or out of line) it is news.

I have said it before and will again here, it would not surprise me to see him traded, if a team were to offer at least two 1st round picks and a second, i think he might just go.

No matter what happens here I am still a STEELERS fan, and that is what brings us all together, whether or not we agree with one another.

BTW for all those who think we cannot win without Ben, The Edmonton Oilers traded arguably the best hockey player in history, Wayne Gretzky, and still won a Stanley Cup!!, Why? Because they built a team!!!

zulater
04-21-2010, 06:11 AM
These threads of continually bashing each other when people disagree are getting tiresome.
I am a PITTSBURGH STEELERS FAN, players come and go, the team stays the same. The NFL is a cross section of society, in society you have criminals, people who get into some trouble and "saints", the NFL has that as well and by extention the teams. I have been a Steeler fan for almost 40 years, I bleed Black and Gold, The admiration I have for the Rooneys can not be put into words. Do I think we didn't get enough for Holmes, yes, but I am pleased to see they rid themselves of "wake and bake" Santo. If they were to trade ben, I would fully stand behind it, although I think he gets one more chance.

Unfortunatly for Ben, he makes "stupid" choices, acts like a frat boy and doesn't have the maturity he should have considering his position on the team and his fame. He is a 2 X super bowl champ QB, that gets him more notoriety than most players, he was a first round pick and the face of the most respected franchise in sports, so every time he steps out (or out of line) it is news.

I have said it before and will again here, it would not surprise me to see him traded, if a team were to offer at least two 1st round picks and a second, i think he might just go.

No matter what happens here I am still a STEELERS fan, and that is what brings us all together, whether or not we agree with one another.

BTW for all those who think we cannot win without Ben, The Edmonton Oilers traded arguably the best hockey player in history, Wayne Gretzky, and still won a Stanley Cup!!, Why? Because they built a team!!!

:applaudit:

huntingteacher
04-21-2010, 06:12 AM
I think they are going to trade him with signing of Leftwich. Why would they bring him in, ala Randle El. I am for it. I like rooting for a high class organization. Even if we take a competitive hit. We should get two #1's for him. He won't look so good either on a poor team.

ricardisimo
04-21-2010, 06:22 AM
I doubt it will happen, but if it does, it'll be to Seattle, and it'll be today. Anyone concur?

zulater
04-21-2010, 06:24 AM
I think they are going to trade him with signing of Leftwich. Why would they bring him in, ala Randle El. I am for it. I like rooting for a high class organization. Even if we take a competitive hit. We should get two #1's for him. He won't look so good either on a poor team.

Or he might make a "poor" team look significantly better. Remember the Steelers were coming off a 6-10 season in 2003 and looked to be pretty much the same team for the first two weeks of the 2004 season before Ben took the helm. The Steelers have had a very average offensive line the past two seasons, if Ben got on a team that actually could pass protect he might jump up to a new level. Last thing, Ben usually plays his best when he has a chip on his shoulder. I want to be the benificiary of that chip, not it's victim. :chuckle:

zulater
04-21-2010, 06:27 AM
I doubt it will happen, but if it does, it'll be to Seattle, and it'll be today. Anyone concur?

Actually I think Buffalo makes the most sense. Remember how Ralph Wilson declared how he was all in to win now last summer when he signed T.O.? Wilson knows he may not be around much longer, I think he's the guy who might go after Ben with the most passion.

SteelMember
04-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Thought I'd put this here since we have already been talking about it in this thread.

I can't say "who" is voting on the post gazette, but looking at the numbers, we're (this board) seems almost the polar opposite of the public opinion... so far.

Poll Question
Should the Steelers trade Ben Roethlisberger?
Category: Steelers
Voting began on 4/20/2010
Voting ends on 4/22/2010

A.Yes - 5268 (61%)
B.No - 3437 (39%)

8,705 Respondents

Anyone care to swing the vote?

http://postgazette.com/polls/?pollID=3599

Steelers>NFL
04-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Why would Ben care? He still has that $102m contract. Regardless who he plays for.

plenewken
04-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Why would Ben care? He still has that $102m contract. Regardless who he plays for.

Not all $102M are guaranteed, only $36M are.

stlrtruck
04-21-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm sorry but you just don't trade your franchise QB away. With that being said, the Rooney's have always walked to the beat of a different drummer. I don't think they'll trade him, and he'll have his shot at redemption, but he's definitely on thin ice.

plenewken
04-21-2010, 08:08 AM
I don't think they'll trade him only because of his recent shenanigans but every player is tradeable for the right offer. Ben is no exception.
Offer the Steelers a top 5 1st pick plus a top 5 2nd round this year plus a 1st round next year and they could very well let him go.
They could then trade their top 5 first pick this year for a lower 1st pick plus either a solid player or more picks. This is perfectly conceivable.

steelpride12
04-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Ya Ben did this and that, but you don't trade him. He is the franchise QB and the Rooney's know that and they know he was never sentenced or charged with anything and that's why he will stay.

steelballs
04-21-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm sorry but you just don't trade your franchise QB away. With that being said, the Rooney's have always walked to the beat of a different drummer. I don't think they'll trade him, and he'll have his shot at redemption, but he's definitely on thin ice.

I agree that the FO won't trade him, but the perverbial ice is razor thin at best.

plenewken
04-21-2010, 08:29 AM
I agree that the FO won't trade him, but the perverbial ice is razor thin at best.

Discipline is not the only element in the equation. One or 2 more concussions and he's gone anyway. With 45-50 sacks per season, who knows when this is gonna happen.

LukesDad88
04-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Seems like any time someone criticizes the Rooney's and any move they make, that person gets blasted to no end on this board. The Rooney's aren't gods, and if someone wants to criticize a move, let them. We're all fans here.

This is one subject I agree 100% with 'whatdoiknow' on. The Holmes trade was absolutely ridiculous. Sometimes the Rooney's need to off their high horse.

Or maybe you need some morals and to grow up past this "Win no matter what" attitude.

LukesDad88
04-21-2010, 08:31 AM
I can't help but notice that you've gotten rid of the "Ben goes, I go" tag on your sig.

There goes the one positive of any trade scenario.

fansince'76
04-21-2010, 08:36 AM

No, I think we'd be able to make a legit SB run if we got someone like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers (although I can't stand him) and a couple others. What's the chance one of those guys becomes available? Exactly.

Or we could go QB in the 1st round again, but considering our "pattern" with QBs in the 1st round (TB in '70, Mark Malone in '80, BR in '04), we're due for a massive dud.

LukesDad88
04-21-2010, 08:39 AM
What did we do between Bradshaw and Ben? One SB appearance, and multiple Championship Games. Many franchises would have loved that level of success.

Any number of QB's could have one SB's with the teams we've fielded the past decade. There are a heck of alot of QB's more talented than Kordell, Maddox, O'Donnell, Tomczac, etc... They might not have been as good as Ben, but certainly better than the other choices. Everybody seems to act like the choice is having a lower tiered QB or one of the 3-4 best in the league. Sorry, but there are other options.

plenewken
04-21-2010, 08:42 AM
No, I think we'd be able to make a legit SB run if we got someone like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers (although I can't stand him) and a couple others. What's the chance one of those guys becomes available? Exactly.

.................. .

Baltimore won a SB with Dilfer and Tampa Bay with Brad Johnson. What does that tell you?

fansince'76
04-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Any number of QB's could have one SB's with the teams we've fielded the past decade. There are a heck of alot of QB's more talented than Kordell, Maddox, O'Donnell, Tomczac, etc... They might not have been as good as Ben, but certainly better than the other choices. Everybody seems to act like the choice is having a lower tiered QB or one of the 3-4 best in the league. Sorry, but there are other options.

Sorry, but I disagree. I feel the drop off is pretty steep in QB ability beyond the top 5-10 QBs in the league, personally. There are only 32 starting NFL QBs, and less than a third of those actually play the position at a high enough level to be a difference maker, IMO.

fansince'76
04-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Baltimore won a SB with Dilfer and Tampa Bay with Brad Johnson. What does that tell you?

That the stars aligned just right and the football gods smiled on them for one season. What have they won since?

pete74
04-21-2010, 08:50 AM
If we do trade Ben we better get a new QB in next seasons draft. I don't think dixon is good enough to take us to the super bowl. I really hope we keep Ben but if not next year has 3 good QB's in the draft but I bet tomlin sticks with dixon

plenewken
04-21-2010, 08:54 AM
That the stars aligned just right and the football gods smiled on them for one season. What have they won since?

How many Peyton Manning has won? He's arguably the best QB in the League. All that tells me that the team is more important than the QB alone. There are 31 QBs besides Ben and at least 10 of them could win the SB next year with their team.
Saying "without Ben we're toast" is greatly exaggerated.

BlastFurnace
04-21-2010, 08:58 AM

There is a problem with this reasoning....the Steelers don't have the 2000 Ravens defense. The Steelers defense is the main reason we didn't make the playoffs last season.

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Here's a question.

Same team...exactly...with Drew Breese at QB...do we win a SB?

or how about a guy like Aaron Rogers? or maybe Phillip Rivers? would you say "no ring for 10 years" if that was the case.

Just throwing it out there. Yes, Ben is awesome for our team, at QB and makes outstanding plays...but if his bone head off the field mistakes start costing us games, like no helmet, charges of sexual assault, and whatever else he can get into...then...well...he isn't doing the Job we pay him for is he?

So think about it, sure a Rookie or Byron or even Dixon probably won't get us a Ring...but another 1st round QB draft pick or someone with a ring already...just might.

SteelerEmpire
04-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Ok... he's good enough for some other team in the NFL but not good enough for the Steelers ? A 2 time winning SB QB at that... Whats up with the 'I'm so much better that you' attitude by the front office (if they were to trade Ben that is) ? Ben is good enough for the 49ers (or some other team) but not the Steelers ?
I submit that if a trade happens that this team may not have the 'logical facilities' to win another SB in the foreseeable future. Ridiculous....

LukesDad88
04-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Did Ben create the Steelers' success, or did the Steelers create Ben's success? Where would Ben be today if he had been drafted by the Redskins? Probably holding a clipboard somewhere. The same with any number of teams. The Browns, Tampa, Carolina, Miami, etc... Would the Steelers have won the Superbowls with any other QB than Ben? Possibly one. Considering how close we were with Kordell, and even the success we had in Tommy's first season.

The truth is that Ben gave the team just enough of an upgrade at QB initially to get the Steelers over the hump, and the Steelers were a good enough team to give Ben the opportunity to develop.

fansince'76
There is a problem with this reasoning....the Steelers don't have the 2000 Ravens defense. The Steelers defense is the main reason we didn't make the playoffs last season.

Exactly. Take Troy and Aaron out of the mix, and our defense becomes alarmingly mediocre, which further exacerbates the need for a difference maker at QB.

BlastFurnace
Here's a question.

Same team...exactly...with Drew Breese at QB...do we win a SB?

or how about a guy like Aaron Rogers? or maybe Phillip Rivers? would you say "no ring for 10 years" if that was the case.

Just throwing it out there. Yes, Ben is awesome for our team, at QB and makes outstanding plays...but if his bone head off the field mistakes start costing us games, like no helmet, charges of sexual assault, and whatever else he can get into...then...well...he isn't doing the Job we pay him for is he?

So think about it, sure a Rookie or Byron or even Dixon probably won't get us a Ring...but another 1st round QB draft pick or someone with a ring already...just might.

Honestly, if we were offered a trade that included Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers or Philip Rivers, I would do the trade.

Problem is, if a trade is made, it is for Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon, or Charlie Batch because we aren't going to get a top 5 QB in return for Ben.

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2010, 09:07 AM
If the Rooney's trade him, its 100% about PR and nothing else. That would be the only reason they trade Ben, to try and keep their name as "legit" and not be considered like Jerry Jones.

Of coarse, this is the same family that bought the team with money from gambling on horses, owns race tracks and has a Casino built within a stones throw of their Home Stadium...but whatever...just saying.

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Honestly, if we were offered a trade that included Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers or Philip Rivers, I would do the trade.

Problem is, if a trade is made, it is for Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon, or Charlie Batch because we aren't going to get a top 5 QB in return for Ben.

I'm just making the point that the Team itself is pretty good and a very good QB would be able to take this team to the promised land.

Put Payton Manning on the Browns, are they a contender? nope. Put Tom Brady no the Rams, are they a contender? nope...put Drew Breese or someone like him, a very good QB on the Steelers, are they a contender? Yes they are.

That's all I'm saying. Sure having Ben be our Franchise QB has been wonderful...On The Field...off it...its been an effing nightmare up to this point. Luckily, he hasn't actually punched a chick in the face on camera...

ETL
04-21-2010, 09:10 AM
If STL offered Bradford and another 1st rounder for BB, would you want the Steelers to make that trade?

BlastFurnace
04-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Did Ben create the Steelers' success, or did the Steelers create Ben's success? Where would Ben be today if he had been drafted by the Redskins? Probably holding a clipboard somewhere. .

You can't be serious. Really....you must be joking. Ben is easily in the top 8 QB's in the entire league.

So if he was drafted by the Redskins in 2004, Mark Brunnell or Jason Campbell keeps Ben holding a clipboard.

:rofl:

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2010, 09:11 AM
not sure I trust Bradford's shoulder, its a huge risk at this point.

plenewken
04-21-2010, 09:12 AM

And the Steelers defense was the main reason we won SB XL and was a big factor in SB XLIII.
Ben is no guarantee we'll win another SB so if the Rooneys trade him, we'll still have a shot at the Lombardi with someone else.

truesteelerfan
04-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Having integrity and trying to be a leader in moral status is ok....We are all probably proud that our team has high expectations of its players.....However I would guess the majority of us are more proud to be the only team with those 6 trophies in our trophy case as people walk into our complex.

Trading Ben would be the biggest mistake this franchise has ever made in the QB position since passing on Marino or trading Unitis.

BlastFurnace
04-21-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm just making the point that the Team itself is pretty good and a very good QB would be able to take this team to the promised land.

Put Payton Manning on the Browns, are they a contender? nope. Put Tom Brady no the Rams, are they a contender? nope...put Drew Breese or someone like him, a very good QB on the Steelers, are they a contender? Yes they are.

That's all I'm saying. Sure having Ben be our Franchise QB has been wonderful...On The Field...off it...its been an effing nightmare up to this point. Luckily, he hasn't actually punched a chick in the face on camera...

I don't agree with you about Peyton Manning. You can put Manning on the Rams, Bucs, Browns, Raiders, etc..and they are a playoff team. You're talking about the key position on a football team. Take Manning off the Colts and they aren't that great of a team.

I believe the same about Brees as well. Brady, I'm not sure if he makes them a SB team, but he does make another team a whole lot better.

BlastFurnace
04-21-2010, 09:15 AM
And the Steelers defense was the main reason we won SB XL and was a big factor in SB XLIII.
Ben is no guarantee we'll win another SB so if the Rooneys trade him, we'll still have a shot at the Lombardi with someone else.

I don't want a shot at a SB...saw that enough in the 90's. I want someone who can take us to the SB and win it. Ben does that. He's proven that.

Going into the playoffs with a QB like Maddox, Stewart, or O'Donnell will get you nothing but the short end of the stick.

BlastFurnace
04-21-2010, 09:16 AM
I surely wouldn't make it.

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2010, 09:18 AM
I don't agree with you about Peyton Manning. You can put Manning on the Rams, Bucs, Browns, Raiders, etc..and they are a playoff team. You're talking about the key position on a football team. Take Manning off the Colts and they aren't that great of a team.

I believe the same about Brees as well. Brady, I'm not sure if he makes them a SB team, but he does make another team a whole lot better.

Blast...I like ya...but have you actually watched Rams or Bucs games in the last 2 or 3 years...they need a lot more than just a Stud QB. They need entirely new rosters. (minus a couple guys like Jackson on the Rams)

SteelerEmpire
04-21-2010, 09:18 AM
I don't want a shot at a SB...saw that enough in the 90's. I want someone who can take us to the SB and win it. Ben does that. He's proven that.

Going into the playoffs with a QB like Maddox, Stewart, or O'Donnell will get you nothing but the short end of the stick.

Yea. You cant win a SB with a QB the quality of O'Donnell... A super-star QB is the only way... the preponderance of SB history proves that...

plenewken
04-21-2010, 09:25 AM

I'm sorry but Ben sucked in SB XL with the lowest QB rating ever. Much worse than O'Donnell in 1995. I'm not saying we'll be fine with Dixon or Leftwich, but with a proven playmaker QB or a top pick, we have pretty much the same shot as with Ben, all things being equal.
What I'm saying is if Ben's gone, it's not the end of the Steelers, far from it.

truesteelerfan
04-21-2010, 09:27 AM
I read somewhere that if Goodell suspends Ben, our QB has the right to appeal the suspension....But guess who hears his appeal...The commissioner...Now how stupid is that? Talk about a "God" complex. Judge and jury?

This is not Goodell's league- time to make some changes IMO

LukesDad88
04-21-2010, 09:28 AM
You can't be serious. Really....you must be joking. Ben is easily in the top 8 QB's in the entire league.

So if he was drafted by the Redskins in 2004, Mark Brunnell or Jason Campbell keeps Ben holding a clipboard.

Keep laughing. If Ben's drafted by the Skins, he comes onto a team where he has to be throwing the ball 30 times a game right off the bat. A team with a below average running game, and absolutely no stability in coaching. New QB coach and new OC
every year. He gets in to start in his second year. Does OK. Skins go 8-8, maybe 9-7. The next year there's a new coordinator and new system. He's right back to where he started from. There's no progression. Skins go 8-8 or 9-7. Third year the same thing. Fourth year, he's traded elsewhere and becomes a journeyman backup/occasional starter.

whatdoiknow
04-21-2010, 09:29 AM
They are saying IF Ben does everything he is supposed to, it will get reduced to 4 games at the minimum.

This is TOTAL BS...Racism at it's highest Order. If I am Ben,,I sue the HELL out of Goodell, and the League.

plenewken
04-21-2010, 09:30 AM
If STL offered Bradford and another 1st rounder for BB, would you want the Steelers to make that trade?

It's not enough.
I think we'd trade down and wouldn't take Bradford at #1 anyway.

BlastFurnace
04-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Keep laughing. If Ben's drafted by the Skins, he comes onto a team where he has to be throwing the ball 30 times a game right off the bat. A team with a below average running game, and absolutely no stability in coaching. New QB coach and new OC
every year. He gets in to start in his second year. Does OK. Skins go 8-8, maybe 9-7. The next year there's a new coordinator and new system. He's right back to where he started from. There's no progression. Skins go 8-8 or 9-7. Third year the same thing. Fourth year, he's traded elsewhere and becomes a journeyman backup/occasional starter.

So you're saying that Ben is basically Jason Campbell...but in a better system?

Steel_Bus_24
04-21-2010, 09:32 AM
complete and utter bull *********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its just ffffing ridiculous that hes being punished more then Vick was

at the worst it should have been 4 with the possibility to get it to 2

BlastFurnace
04-21-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm sorry but Ben sucked in SB XL with the lowest QB rating ever. Much worse than O'Donnell in 1995. I'm not saying we'll be fine with Dixon or Leftwich, but with a proven playmaker QB or a top pick, we have pretty much the same shot as with Ben, all things being equal.
What I'm saying is if Ben's gone, it's not the end of the Steelers, far from it.

He stunk in SB 40, but he certainly didn't suck in the Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Denver games. Put Kordell or Maddox starting any of those games and there is no SB 40 title.

plenewken
04-21-2010, 09:37 AM

"Easily in the top 8 QBs in the entire league" means he's #8. Who are the 7 QBs you place before him?
To me, he's #5. I put Manning, Brady, Brees, and Favre ahead of him, based on pure QB ability, nothing else.

whatdoiknow
04-21-2010, 09:37 AM
complete and utter bull *********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its just ffffing ridiculous that hes being punished more then Vick was

at the worst it should have been 4 with the possibility to get it to 2

Dude I agree, and so SHOULD every steeler fan. I mean a 6 game suspension for NOT being arrested, or charged ? And I now hear that the conditions on Ben reducing this to 4 games means Ben has to go through clinical counseling. And be placed in the leagues substance abuse program,,,because they say Alcohol was Involved in BOTH Incidents...Both ?..Really ? Cause last time I read, the Nevada alligation was that Ben was in his Hotel room, and NOT in a Bar. And besides that,,,was Ben drinking and driving in Georgia ?...NO! He was a 28 year old man in a LEGAL Bar drinking, and had a designated driver for his group.

This is PURE reverse " Racism ",,,and thats all there is to it.

Ricco Suavez
04-21-2010, 09:38 AM
I just heard 4-6 weeks conditionally. His suspension could be cut back to two or three or four if Ben keeps his nose clean. I still believe the players union will have something to say.

Venom
04-21-2010, 09:39 AM
I read it will be between 4-6 games . If he is a good little boy , he can be reduced to 4 games . If I was him, I wouldnt leave my house !!:mad:

wiz1120
04-21-2010, 09:39 AM
This is absolutely unbelievable.

Roethlisberger will appeal so quick it'll make goodells head spin

Ricco Suavez
04-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Besides these are early reports trying to get the scoop. Goodel will make an official announcement.

SteveS
They are saying IF Ben does everything he is supposed to, it will get reduced to 4 games at the minimum.

This is TOTAL BS...Racism at it's highest Order. If I am Ben,,I sue the HELL out of Goodell, and the League.

Agreed. This is BULLSH*T! 6 game suspension for someone who has never been charged with a crime, the first girl has incriminating emails which are incriminating against her and never bothered going to the cops and the second girl who has a sketchy story AT BEST, MY ASS. This pisses me off.

A two game susension would be fair for simply doing something stupid that night (have consensual sex in the bathroom).

Mike Vick kills and tortures animals and it was proven and he gets 3 games. This infuriates me.

Steel_Bus_24
He should get the chance to reduce that to 2 damm it

ffffing Ratbirds get off the hook again

wiz1120
04-21-2010, 09:41 AM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging::bang ing::banging::banging::banging:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
Honostly, I would prefer Clausen to Bradford.

whatdoiknow
This is absolutely unbelievable.

Roethlisberger will appeal so quick it'll make goodells head spin

I don't know if he will. Cause Ben has already publically stated he will agree to whatever the punishment is. I just HOPE that this report is wrong. And that it is a 4 game suspension, with the chance to cut it to two. But I am not holding my breathe

BlastFurnace
04-21-2010, 09:42 AM
"Easily in the top 8 QBs in the entire league" means he's #8. Who are the 7 QBs you place before him?
To me, he's #5. I put Manning, Brady, Brees, and Favre ahead of him, based on pure QB ability, nothing else.

I'm basically saying that if you took multiple sources, he would be in the top 8.

From my personal opinion, I put him # 3

Manning
Brees
Ben

plenewken
04-21-2010, 09:43 AM
He stunk in SB 40, but he certainly didn't suck in the Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Denver games. Put Kordell or Maddox starting any of those games and there is no SB 40 title.

You're contradicting yourself. You wrote "I want someone who can take us to the SB and win it. Ben does that. He's proven that."
Ben played terrific against Cinci, Indi and Denver and took us to the SB, no question, but we would have lost it if Ben's play that day was the only element and you admitted it.

Corey120120
04-21-2010, 09:45 AM
i would be pretty pissed if i was the steelers because they got fined for having players getting in trouble.

Steelers>NFL
If this is what it is, then it is what it is...
Ben counted his lucky stars and got away with big trouble & prison.
So, if this is all he gets, then so be it.
Accept it and move one.

LamarrWoodleysFade
I'm all for suspending him, not this much, though. Two, maybe three games tops, but 4 to 6?

It's gonna be a long season...

Edman
04-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Mike Vick served a prison sentence. You people forgot that.

It sucks, but Ben brought this on himself and the team by being a douchebag and an idiot. Even if he wasn't charged, Goofall looked over the testimony and stories in the papers, which in of itself makes Ben look plenty guilty. You just couldn't keep to yourself, huh Ben?

I'm already coming to grips with the fact that the 2010 Steelers will be a vastly inferior team this year until proven otherwise. Our D fell off last year, now it looks like the Offense will suffer too.

BlastFurnace
You're contradicting yourself. You wrote "I want someone who can take us to the SB and win it. Ben does that. He's proven that."
Ben played terrific against Cinci, Indi and Denver and took us to the SB, no question, but we would have lost it if Ben's play that day was the only element and you admitted it.

How am I contradicting myself. Ben is a proven winner. That is who I want as our QB. Period. I don't have that type of confidence in any of the other QB's.

Ben had one really bad moment in SB 40. If he lofts that ball a little higher to Wilson, no-one even talks about how bad of a game he had. The game is 21-3 at that point.

SteelPride1207

I enjoy good humor...and that was pretty funny. :chuckle:

I don't think that everyone supporting Ben does so blindly especially in light of the media reporting bias. And...reading your first paragraph tells me that we agree on the important issues.

bozz723
04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
part of me hopes he will be traded, part of me doesn't because I suffered through Bubby, Malone, Graham, Stewart, etc. etc. etc. But, if he is traded, we have again become the class act of the league, and everyone will again know that there is a standard that comes with bein a Pittsburgh Steeler

And...who gives a shit about that.

Corey120120
04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Mike Vick served a prison sentence. You people forgot that.

It sucks, but Ben brought this on himself. Even if he wasn't charged, Goofall looked over the testimony and stories in the papers, which in of itself makes Ben look plenty guilty.

I agree i mean how can you say ben is getting in more trouble, i mean prison is prison yo

Curtain_of_Steel
04-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Thinking outside the box on this.

Goodell wants to keep every players nose clean, its apparent. They are in contract negotiations for upcoming seasons etc. He knows the backlash for suspending BB is going to be huge. Also he knows the players association will come down hard on the nfl and Goodell.

So he puts out a big suspension, knowing he will never get it through, but his agenda is to have language in upcoming negotiation put in contracts about behavior.
He knows the players association will go balls to the wall to halt this. Taking away any racial issues, because its them not him saying its to harsh.
But in the end goodell will get the new language into the new contract.

PA fights the suspension, it goes to an abritrator, Bens gets 1 or zero games, because in the end no crime was committed.

whatdoiknow
04-21-2010, 09:48 AM
If this is what it is, then it is what it is...
Ben counted his lucky stars and got away with big trouble & prison.
So, if this is all he gets, then so be it.
Accept it and move one.

Yeah right, just like Nelson Mandela,,,just accept it and move on. I mean who cares IF you didn't do anything Illegal. I mean who cares IF the league says you have to go into the substance abuse program, even though you were drinking in a LEGAL Establishment, and were of age, and has NEVER had a single DUI, or positve drug test...who cares...just accept it.

GodfatherofSoul
04-21-2010, 09:49 AM
I think Ben is guilty as sin. Last I checked, it didn't matter a hill of @#$% what I think.

Ben has been disruptive, detrimental and even destructive to his family, his team, our city, and possibly the league. Guilty as sin.

On the basis of Ben's having been convicted in the court of public opinion, he has been and deservedly so. Not so in the actual courts.

If "rules" mean anything, then they need to be enforced as they read at the time of any infraction in question. At the time of the infractions in question they read "charged" and "convicted".

As pissed off as I am at Ben, he hasn't been charged, and won't be. He hasn't been convicted of anything. End of discussion.

IMHO, Goddell pushing a suspension opens the league's rules to scrutiny he really doesn't want. It would do more damage to the league to push it than deal with the racial fallout. And that is probably the real issue. If there isn't a suspension, it gives the race issue a lot of fuel for the fire. Roger have hisself in a tight place.

Context, kid. He had sex with a drunk, playa-chasing groupie. You know how many times a week that happens? The only difference here is her prissy friends got pissed all she got was some **** out of the situation.

Who caused the "disruption, detrimental, and destructive"? The ridiculous media attention and portrayal of the situation or the fact that he nailed a groupie? Stop treating these skanks like poor wittle virgins who just happened to wind up with a dick in their mouths on a Saturday night.

These false accusations happen ALL the time and not just to famous athletes. Women cry rape all the time for stupid shit from getting busted cheating to pure spite. I'm not saying this out of hate, I've seen this shit go down first hand.

d2609j
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Agreed. This is BULLSH*T! 6 game suspension for someone who has never been charged with a crime, the first girl has incriminating emails which are incriminating against her and never bothered going to the cops and the second girl who has a sketchy story AT BEST, MY ASS. This pisses me off.

A two game susension would be fair for simply doing something stupid that night (have consensual sex in the bathroom).

Mike Vick kills and tortures animals and it was proven and he gets 3 games. This infuriates me.

I think because MV did 19 months in jail and was out of football for 2 years had a little to do with his length of suspension. This is the way the NFL shows Ben its not OK to rape women.

OX1947
04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Yeah right, just like Nelson Mandela,,,just accept it and move on. I mean who cares IF you didn't do anything Illegal. I mean who cares IF the league says you have to go into the substance abuse program, even though you were drinking in a LEGAL Establishment, and were of age, and has NEVER had a single DUI, or positve drug test...who cares...just accept it.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Basically, guilty until proven innocent is the new motto. And the funny thing about that is, innocents will never be proven because the other person has no god damn proof and doesn't charge anyone. Now, if you bang chicks and they make up some lie on you, you are guilty. Pathetic legal system we live in.

Dino 6 Rings
I think because MV did 19 months in jail and was out of football for 2 years had a little to do with his length of suspension. This is the way the NFL shows Ben its not OK to rape women.

Pretty sure he hasn't been charged with raping anyone. Pretty sure some crazy broad ran around telling people she wanted to have Ben's baby after he slept with her, then some other chick with a Down To Fuccck nametag on her chest hooked up with him in a drunken skanky night of getting it on.

Not sure that's actual rape.

whatdoiknow

Excuse me Mr.MENSA but, please show me where Ben Raped a woman////Thanks for playing.

SteveS
04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
That testimony and "evidence" that Goofball looked over was from BIASED witnesses that had holes all through their statements that would have been OBLITERATED in cross examination. I am still baffled how ANY intelligent person could be stupid enough to take it as proven fact.

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Six games would suck. Explains a lot why Lefty was brought back. Dixon I trust for 2 games...but 6? we have to win 4 of them to maintain our goal of getting to the playoffs. That's a tough thing to do without your starting QB under center.

Corey120120
04-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Could you guys imagine if ben never got in his motorcyle accident, never got accused of anything, etc...etc...

he would be such a good player and everyone would love him...
but no, now there r two kinds of pittsburgh fans, ben lovers and ben haters.
i just wish nothing happend to him.
i really feel bad for him i mean he could be one of the best qb's ever but i think he messed that up for himself.
(this is coming from someone who doesnt really like ben)

whatdoiknow
04-21-2010, 09:58 AM
I really hope this report is wrong. But if not, and Ben has to cowtow to all those conditions JUST to get it to a 4 game suspension. Then I hope,,,I really HOPE Ben comeback, wins every game the rest of the wayh, takes us to the playoffs, and wins another Super Bowl, and in the national Interview on TV he tells Goodell, and Dan & Art Rooney to go and F,CK themselves, and totally tears up his contract and leaves Pittsburgh...I really do.

d2609j
04-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Excuse me Mr.MENSA but, please show me where Ben Raped a woman////Thanks for playing. Now go back to the " Retard " Ward.

Listen, you dont get suspended for banging some chick in a bathroom, period. The NFL, the Steelers, the GBI, know alot more than we do. And for Ben to accept this as punishment??? He is losing 2-5 million in salary and endorsements this year alone. Come on.

truesteelerfan
04-21-2010, 10:00 AM
This is a load of crap! As far as everybody can prove, he did absolutely NOTHING wrong. Any fans ready to go accuse Gay Brady of something, or Ray Rice, or Palmer? If they are accused are they suspended? When will a speeding ticket result in a 1 game suspension. Goodell is overstepping his bounds. What they do off the job shouldn't matter IMO. If we get accused of something in a "normal" job.....while off the clock...are we suspended at work?
NO

Corey120120
04-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Listen, you dont get suspended for banging some chick in a bathroom, period. The NFL, the Steelers, the GBI, know alot more than we do. And for Ben to accept this as punishment??? He is losing 2-5 million in salary and endorsements this year alone. Come on.

im watching espn and there saying he IS getting suspended for violating NFL personal conduct policy

NJarhead
04-21-2010, 10:02 AM

Racism???:rofl:

fat4jc
04-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Why is everyone so surprised by this? I was prepared for it to be AT LEAST 4 games, and I've read that the Steelers were prepared for it to be 8 games. This should take no one by surprise, and honestly, if Ben's to stay with this organization, I think this time away is absolutely necessary. Make it hurt, allow him to see how his behavior has a negative impact on the team.

steelpride12
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Why so surprised? It's going to be 4-6 games and if Ben can keep it in his pants it will be 4 for sure. He put this on himself and now the team and the fans have to suffer. Lefty is going to have to have a strong training camp as well as Dixon to prepare to fill his shoes for the first quarter of the season.

plenewken
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM
If this is confirmed, 6 games is ridiculous. I would have been OK with 4 games with the possibility of reducing it to 2 if Ben attends counseling but 6 is insane.
s.

Corey120120
04-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Why is everyone so surprised by this? I was prepared for it to be AT LEAST 4 games, and I've read that the Steelers were prepared for it to be 8 games. This should take no one by surprise, and hoenstly, if Ben's to stay with this organization, I think this time away is absolutely necessary. Make it hurt, allow him to see how his behavior has a negative impact on the team.

OMFG, i thought i was the only one that understood this
everyone else is just like, Big ben didnt do it, well ya duh they found that out, BUT he still was out doing shit not allowed by the NFL

vasteeler
04-21-2010, 10:07 AM
bradford behind our o line = road kill

SteveS
04-21-2010, 10:07 AM

He is getting suspended because a bunching morons told a bunch of sketchy stories that had larger holes in them than the grand canyon, but SOUNDED bad. The media started making it out as if the stories are proven fact and then that of course that affected Goodell's decision. Thanks a lot media!!!!

klick81
04-21-2010, 10:08 AM
I support Ben's decision to fight a 6 game suspension for getting frisky in a public restroom (after all, that's all that he's being punished for - anything else cannot be proven). What a load of bullsh!t.

Edman
04-21-2010, 10:08 AM
The recent return of Leftwich could mean two things:

1) Ben's suspension is lengthy.

Or...

2) Ben is going to be traded away and the Steelers will aquire a youngster and sit him behind Lefty for a year.

Don't forget, Ben has been beaten up quite a bit in his career with numerous concussions, and he's not even 30 yet. Who knows how much the guy has left if he keeps getting hammered.

whatdoiknow
04-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Why is everyone so surprised by this? I was prepared for it to be AT LEAST 4 games, and I've read that the Steelers were prepared for it to be 8 games. This should take no one by surprise, and hoenstly, if Ben's to stay with this organization, I think this time away is absolutely necessary. Make it hurt, allow him to see how his behavior has a negative impact on the team.

What Behavior is this ? The fact that a 28 year old man goes into a LEGAL Establishment. Has some drinks, and maybe does a Inproper thing with a girl in a bathroom which is consented ? And that deserves a 6 game suspension ? Oh but Marvin Harrison gets into a public fight with a guy in his North Philadelphia club. And two weeks later the guy is SHOT...With Harrison's gun..( Undeniable fact )...and
they find that gun days later locked in Harrison's office in that club...and yet Goodell doesn't even give him a tiny little slap on his wrist ?????

Boy, sounds like Hypocrisy to me...as well as " REVERSE " Racism!