PDA

View Full Version : Steelers earning back respect after players' misdeeds

mesaSteeler
04-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Steelers earning back respect after players' misdeeds
Ravens Insider.
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/04/steelers_earning_back_respect_after_players_misdee ds.html
Posted by Ron Fritz at 7:30 AM

(More sanity from Ratbird land. I may have to change my opinion of them. - mesa)

As a lifelong, unabashed hater of all that is Steelers, it takes a lot for the Three Rivers franchise to earn, even begrudgingly, my respect.

But Pittsburgh seems to be doing everything right when it comes to the alleged misdeeds of its players. The Steelers traded troubled wide receiver Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets for a fifth-round pick simply to get rid of him.

“We believe the move is in the best interests of the Pittsburgh Steelers,” director of football operations Kevin Colbert said.

And after quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who won't face charges in Georgia over an alleged sexual assault, meets with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, owner Art Rooney II said the team will determine what's best for the star player and the franchise.

He issued a terse statement Monday about Roethlisberger:

“During the past few weeks, I have met with Ben on a number of occasions, not only to discuss this incident, but also to discuss his commitment to making sure this never happens again. The Pittsburgh Steelers take the conduct of players and staff very seriously. Ben will now have to work hard to earn back the respect and trust of Steelers fans, and to live up to the leadership responsibilities we all expect of him.”

It's easy to talk the talk, yet the Steelers seem to be backing it up. After six Super Bowl titles, we know the Steelers are winners. But it's clear they are also about winning the right way -- on and off the field.

I hate to admit it.

Gnutella
04-13-2010, 10:14 AM
This article is the perfect antidote for all the ass-kissers who don't like the way the Rooney family is handling the situation.

Men of Steel
04-13-2010, 12:45 PM
does this mean we can all be friends now???... :noidea: