PDA

View Full Version : Which WR do you think we'll take?

Cinnjerm
04-13-2010, 12:06 PM
I think with the Steelers trading their most productive receiver we can safely assume that they're going to take a WR in one of the first two rounds. My question for you guys is, "Who do you like?"
I think I'll go with the best available. I really don't know enough about any of them to have a preference.

groundhogday
04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
I dont think we'll take one. OL, DB, LB, RB

Cinnjerm
04-13-2010, 12:13 PM
I dont think we'll take one. OL, DB, LB, RB

I guess I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that a majority (7) of their prospect visits were receivers.

Sharkissle29
04-13-2010, 12:23 PM
I want Gilyard in the 3rd

steelreserve
04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
We've got six receivers on the roster already, seven if you count Logan. So I doubt we take any unless we inexplicably plan on cutting someone who we just paid a $1 million signing bonus to.

pete74
04-13-2010, 12:30 PM
golden tate, hands down. he looks like the next ward

Believe43
04-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Arrelious Benn if available 2nd round, if not Brandon Lafell

Steelers>NFL
04-13-2010, 01:41 PM
golden tate or arrelious benn. steelers are high on both. especially benn.

whatdoiknow
04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
I don't know why. Benn has never accomplished anything. And he is a super stiff WR who cannot move at all. Way way Overhyped is he. And what 6 WR's do the Steelers have ?

I know you ain't counting Sweed and Grisham. And even Logan might not make the team. Especially if the new drafted WR has return skills. Steelers will take a WR. I just HOPE it's not Benn, cause he will definitely Suck. Plus he has MAJOR Medical Issues as well. Take the SMU kid Sanders. And then take a flier on QB/WR/everything Joe Webb of Alabama Birmingham.

revefsreleets
04-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Freddie Barnes in the later rounds. I don't give a shit if he's slow in shorts and sneakers, he gets open, is strong, and has the surest hands of any WR in this draft. He's the anti-Sweed, meaning if the ball is near him, he'll catch it. Great prospect as a possession receiver who we can nurture along...he's also a blocker who doesn't mind contact, which makes him an ideal Steelers WR candidate.

I've seen him projected as low as FA, but I think he'll be scooped up in the 5th...hopefully by us. He caught 155 passes last year, for Christs sake!

The Duke
04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Honestly, only receiver I'd consider early (1-3rd round) is Shipley

Late, the kid from southern methodist

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Freddie Barnes in the later rounds. I don't give a shit if he's slow in shorts and sneakers, he gets open, is strong, and has the surest hands of any WR in this draft. He's the anti-Sweed, meaning if the ball is near him, he'll catch it. Great prospect as a possession receiver who we can nurture along...he's also a blocker who doesn't mind contact, which makes him an ideal Steelers WR candidate.

I've seen him projected as low as FA, but I think he'll be scooped up in the 5th...hopefully by us. He caught 155 passes last year, for Christs sake!

Great pick....Barnes is one of the most accomplished route runners in this draft!! Watch him on tape and you will see that he knows how to get open by making the DB turn his hips and misdirect.

I also like Taylor Price and Andre Roberts....with Andre Roberts being my favorite WR in this draft.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Arrelious Benn if available 2nd round, if not Brandon Lafell

I live 45 minutes from the University of Illinois...Benn is way over hyped.

supa_fly_steeler
04-13-2010, 02:46 PM
I live 45 minutes from the University of Illinois...Benn is way over hyped.

I live 3,952 miles from Illinois University and i agree with that statement :tt04:

thermoman
04-13-2010, 03:06 PM
i here the steelers love BENN, so iam guessing he is our wr target

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-13-2010, 03:22 PM
I like Donario Alexander from Mizzou. Kind of built from the same mold as Sweed. 6'5 215lbs. Physical reciever who can block. Glaring negative is three knee surgeries.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Honestly, only receiver I'd consider early (1-3rd round) is Shipley

Late, the kid from southern methodist

I dont know if Shipley gets picked any higher than the 3rd or maybe 4th. He's really the white Quan Cosby and Cosby went undrafted. Shipley has great hands, but is not fast and has trouble separating from top CB's in college.

I like him, but only in the 4th or later. Gilyard could be there in the 3rd when we pick. Barnes I like too and would be there probably in the 5th round.

supa_fly_steeler
04-13-2010, 04:25 PM
gilyard

http://www.infidelsparadise.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/gilyard.jpg

PhantomJB93
04-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Gilyard is good but Golden Tate is amazing, fits that "Hines and Santonio" kind of feel for a WR, has good speed, and is a great return man.

Nadroj 20
04-13-2010, 05:31 PM
I think this years WR class is LOADED. I think we can get a good guy to be our 3rd or 4th target

My personal favorites are...Gilyard, Shipely, Barnes and Taylor Price from ohio

The reason i say those guys is because i do not feel like we need to take a WR in the 1st round.

taztroy43
04-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Gilyard is good but Golden Tate is amazing, fits that "Hines and Santonio" kind of feel for a WR, has good speed, and is a great return man.

I rather have Damian Williams in the 2nd....the guy is probably the best route runner out of all the receivers in this class!!! But he's forgotten for some reason and that would work on our advantage when we pick in the 2nd because we probably wouldn't have to trade up for a WR because he would probably still be on the board by the time we pick in the 2nd.....I watched all of his games and he looked to be the fastest if not the fastest player on the field most of the time, despite the fact that he ran a 4.5 @ the combine....this guy has game speed and if you don't believe he's worth the 2nd round pick....just watch some of his game tape......he reminds me of a taller santonio holmes and a chad johnson type of player......D.W. is 6'1" 197lbs, 4.53 40 time(although he plays way faster than he ran @ the combine), 38" vertical, 19 bench press reps, 6.79 3 cone drill.......

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID5385/images/DamianWilliams.jpg,http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/91158740.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D0FF10E26BADC6E17F 8EFE17E38BA969A9BEE9CD3738401A56E30A760B0D811297

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/90871714.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D004F145D6F20E8894 BD0E157438AF32E993471772D984D732

whatdoiknow
04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
I rather have Damian Williams in the 2nd....the guy is probably the best route runner out of all the receivers in this class!!! But he's forgotten for some reason and that would work on our advantage when we pick in the 2nd because we probably wouldn't have to trade up for a WR because he would probably still be on the board by the time we pick in the 2nd.....I watched all of his games and he looked to be the fastest if not the fastest player on the field most of the time, despite the fact that he ran a 4.5 @ the combine....this guy has game speed and if you don't believe he's worth the 2nd round pick....just watch some of his game tape......he reminds me of a taller santonio holmes and a chad johnson type of player......D.W. is 6'1" 197lbs, 4.53 40 time(although he plays way faster than he ran @ the combine), 38" vertical, 19 bench press reps, 6.79 3 cone drill.......

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID5385/images/DamianWilliams.jpg,http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/91158740.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D0FF10E26BADC6E17F 8EFE17E38BA969A9BEE9CD3738401A56E30A760B0D811297

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/90871714.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D004F145D6F20E8894 BD0E157438AF32E993471772D984D732

No chance at Williams. He has maybe the worst Character and work ethic then any WR in this class. Why would they draft Wiilliams in round 2, only to trade him a year from now for a single 7th round pick:rofl::rofl::rofl:

tube517
04-13-2010, 06:10 PM
My prediction is;

CB or OL in 1st Round
WR in Round 2 or 3
RB or WR in Round 3 or 4
DB and OL in Round 5

I think this years WR class is LOADED. I think we can get a good guy to be our 3rd or 4th target

My personal favorites are...Gilyard, Shipely, Barnes and Taylor Price from ohio

The reason i say those guys is because i do not feel like we need to take a WR in the 1st round.

taztroy43
04-13-2010, 06:22 PM
No chance at Williams. He has maybe the worst Character and work ethic then any WR in this class. Why would they draft Wiilliams in round 2, only to trade him a year from now for a single 7th round pick:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well you're wrong about his work ethic and character :doh:......according to walterfootball.com scouting report it says he a really good work ethic as well as character.....don't believe me check it out.....http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010dwilliams.php

"# Strengths: Good height with room to bulk
# Very soft hands; rarely drops passes
# Great body control
# Catches ball at highest point
# Excellent hand-eye coordination
# Love his ball skills
# Quick feet
# Elite-level route runner
# Deceptive speed
# Changes directions quickly
# Slippery fast
# Does an outstanding job of changing speeds in/out of routes
# Generates very solid Y.A.C.
# Recognizes various coverages
# Can find soft spots in zone
# Eats up off-man cushion quickly, then separates
# Gets two feet in on sideline catches; aware
# Highly talented with great upside
# Polished player
# Operated in traditional West Coast offense
# Plays with a lot of heart
# Good character and reportedly great work ethic

Weaknesses:
# Quicker than fast; can he beat bump-and-run consistently?
# Timed speed might go under microscope if not sub-4.5
# Could be more physical at line of scrimmage
# Inconsistent blocker
# Has some wasted movements
# Could shield corners better
# Shoulder injury history must be checked into

Summary: Williams is the kind of wide receiver I love watching tape on. He is very polished and well ahead of the pack, meaning he could contribute immediately in the NFL. With Williams' talent level and work ethic, he has a great foundation to be a star receiver in the NFL. Transferred from Arkansas to USC with high school teammate Mitch Mustain.

Player Comparison: Jimmy Smith. Smith was that very rare route-runner you just don't find very often. Williams might be the best route-runner I have seen in four years of scouting. "

taztroy43
04-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Here's another site that states that he's a high character guy that has a very good work ethic.....http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/wr.shtml#williams........
"Damian Williams - USC (HT: 6-0⅝ - WT: 197 - 40: 4.53)
Projection: 2nd Round

Positives: Good route runner, among the best in the class, good at finding gaps in the defense, simply knows how to get open... Very quick, can stretch the field and is dangerous with the ball in his hands... Is a very reliable player, has good hands, is smart and knows what to do in every situation... Good frame that he will continue to grow into... High character, will impress scouts with his work ethic and coachability.

Negatives: Doesn’t have the blazing speed that teams would like to see out of a guy who is under 200 pounds... Needs to add some muscle to his frame, really thin, can get pushed off his routes by stronger defensive backs... Not real physical, and needs to work on his blocking. "

wdsteel
04-13-2010, 06:28 PM
can i pick myself?

:ak47: :rocket:

whatdoiknow
04-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah alright. Now it's my turn.

Draft Scout *Mike Williams News
04/10/10 - The Ravens were among six teams that attended a workout by former Syracuse wide receiver Mike Williams recently. They are also among at least 10 teams that have had Williams in for a visit or have him scheduled, according to the Buffalo News. Williams is 6-2 and 221 pounds, and ran the 40-yard dash at the combine in 4.53 seconds. He is explosive and has good hands. But he comes with baggage because Syracuse coach Doug Marrone kicked him off the team after seven games last season. Williams also had to sit out the 2008 season because he was caught cheating on an exam. In 31 games, he had 133 catches for 2,044 yards and 20 touchdowns. He projects as a second-round pick, but because of his background could go later. And if he drops far enough, the Ravens might have an interest. The teams who attended his workout, in addition to the Ravens, were the Bills, Browns, Packers, Bucs and Chargers. The Dolphins had him in for a visit. - Ken Murray, The Baltimore Sun

His own COACH kicked him off last season. And that was AFTER he missed the entire 2008 season for what ?...C'mon " My Brother from another Mother "...CHEATING!!

Oh but he has GREAT Character ( LOL )

04/06/10 - Buffalo's Mike Williams looked like he helped

+NuBbS+
04-13-2010, 06:45 PM
i love some golden tate 5-11 195 to 200 pounds ran in the 4.3's in the 40 yard dash. Knows how to get open and as AMAZING hands and ball skills. I'd trade up in the second round and grab him in a heartbeat!!!

Sharkissle29
04-13-2010, 06:46 PM

04/10/10 - The Ravens were among six teams that attended a workout by former Syracuse wide receiver Mike Williams recently. They are also among at least 10 teams that have had Williams in for a visit or have him scheduled, according to the Buffalo News. Williams is 6-2 and 221 pounds, and ran the 40-yard dash at the combine in 4.53 seconds. He is explosive and has good hands. But he comes with baggage because Syracuse coach Doug Marrone kicked him off the team after seven games last season. Williams also had to sit out the 2008 season because he was caught cheating on an exam. In 31 games, he had 133 catches for 2,044 yards and 20 touchdowns. He projects as a second-round pick, but because of his background could go later. And if he drops far enough, the Ravens might have an interest. The teams who attended his workout, in addition to the Ravens, were the Bills, Browns, Packers, Bucs and Chargers. The Dolphins had him in for a visit. - Ken Murray, The Baltimore Sun

His own COACH kicked him off last season. And that was AFTER he missed the entire 2008 season for what ?...C'mon " My Brother from another Mother "...CHEATING!!

wrong williams buddy

SteelersBry79
04-13-2010, 06:51 PM
golden tate, hands down. he looks like the next ward

This. Someone being called a "clone of Hines Ward" is something we need. Ward only has a few more years left, maybe less, and Tate is the one to fill in the gaps and make clutch plays when it counts.

steelersfanman92
04-13-2010, 06:53 PM
I like Naaman Roosevelt from Buffalo. He is overlooked but the guy can really play. He has some height and speed and if he is there in the 4th or 5th rounds he would be a good pick.

PhantomJB93
04-13-2010, 06:54 PM
This. Someone being called a "clone of Hines Ward" is something we need. Ward only has a few more years left, maybe less, and Tate is the one to fill in the gaps and make clutch plays when it counts.

Not only is he being called a "Ward Clone" but he's WAY faster than Hines too:thumbsup:

SteelerFanInStl
04-13-2010, 06:59 PM

Are you seriously that clueless? :sofunny:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-13-2010, 07:02 PM

Damien Williams not Mike Williams

whatdoiknow
04-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh, not Mike. Oh okay. Well I was talking about Mike. The other Williams is nowhere near a top-5 round selection. There for he is a huge ?????

SteelerFanInStl
04-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Oh, not Mike. Oh okay. Well I was talking about Mike. The other Williams is nowhere near a top-5 round selection. There for he is a huge ?????

I don't know where you're getting your information from but Damian Williams is the #5 ranked WR according to walterfootball.com and #4 according to nfldraftscout.com. He's projected to go in ROUND 2 by both. Mike Williams is #20 and #19 and projected round 5+.

whatdoiknow
04-13-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't know where you're getting your information from but Damian Williams is the #5 ranked WR according to walterfootball.com and #4 according to nfldraftscout.com. He's projected to go in ROUND 2 by both. Mike Williams is #20 and #19 and projected round 5+.

I've seen some that have the USC kid ranked as a 2nd rounder. But I have seen him many times. He is not overly big, or styrong or fast. And his production was less then average. He disappeared against many big games. But hey...he does have good Character:tt:

Set-Man
04-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I would love to get Golden Tate in the second round but that is only going to happen if we trade down in the first and somehow get a high second. This guy has better physical tools than Ward but does he have the mental toughness? Only time will tell. He is a beast though (and I'm talking about a receiver).

taztroy43
04-13-2010, 07:58 PM

LMFAO :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

C'MON MAN......SERIOUSLY?????? i EVEN PUT PICTURES OF HIM......AND I PROVIDED HIS NAME A BUNCH OF TIMES!!!!!!! I WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT THE OTHER TRASH PLAYER NAMED MIKE WILLIAMS.....I WAS TALKING ABOUT DAMIAN WILLIAMS WR FROM USC....#18 AS U CAN SEE FROM THE PICTURES I PUT UP!!!!!!!! BUT ANYWAYS JUST MAKE SURE YOU READ THE WHOLE THING BEFORE YOU STATE YOUR OPINION....BECAUSE OTHERWISE YOU WILL MAKE YOURSELF LOOK STUPID & YOU'LL LOSE YOUR CREDIBILITY!!!!

taztroy43
04-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Damien Williams not Mike Williams:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

taztroy43
04-13-2010, 08:02 PM
I would love to get Golden Tate in the second round but that is only going to happen if we trade down in the first and somehow get a high second. This guy has better physical tools than Ward but does he have the mental toughness? Only time will tell. He is a beast though (and I'm talking about a receiver).

I would love Golden Tate....but the fact of the matter is he will probably be drafted by the time we pick in the 2nd round....I hope we trade up for him because he reminds me of HINES WARD and a little bit of Percy Harvin as well........:thumbsup:

blitzburgh56
04-13-2010, 08:13 PM
2 guys I would love to see us take. 1. A--Golden Tate 1.B--Mardy Gilyard. I would be very pleased if we selected either one of them. If we cannot land either one, I say we take Emmanuel Sanders from SMU. Not the biggest kid but from what I have seen the kid is a playmaker.

taztroy43
04-14-2010, 01:01 AM
I've seen some that have the USC kid ranked as a 2nd rounder. But I have seen him many times. He is not overly big, or styrong or fast. And his production was less then average. He disappeared against many big games. But hey...he does have good Character:tt:

Hey......r u forgetting that his qb Mark Sanchez was drafted in 09' and he had a true freshman starting as USC's QB!!! Hence, his production wasn't that great this past year.....Williams was QB Sanchez's main target....and he was also QB Matt Barkley's main target this past year.....:doh:..... If you knew what you were talking about you would of at least known that about his production this past season.....yes i agree he does have some trouble with some physical CB(he can be taught to get off the press @ the next level and he has room for some more muscle) but you can't say he disappeared in many big games.....he did a good job even though the "big games" teams that they faced, were game planning against HIM(#18 because he was the main WR for Matt) :doh:.....well anyways 6'1" 197lbs and putting up 19 reps of 225lbs....is not overly big or overly strong huh......:chuckle:.......I give you the fast one but he has game speed and you would know this if you really watched USC play......:tt02:.....

taztroy43
04-14-2010, 01:04 AM
My question is if the Steelers are willing to give up a lot to move up for WR Golden Tate in the 2nd....even though this draft is one of the deepest drafts in many years.....

atlee731
04-14-2010, 03:18 AM
I'd prefer to address other stuff first, so I'm hoping they'll skip Benn, Tate, and Gilyard. I like Dezmon Briscoe from KU and Blair White from Michigan State with one of their 5th rounders.

Galax Steeler
04-14-2010, 03:42 AM
I would like to get Golden Tate he would make us a good receiver.

steeldawg
04-14-2010, 06:37 AM
carlton mitchell out of usf 4.4 speed 6'3'' 215 this guy is going to be the next brandon marshall. Also brandon marshall just got traded to the dolphins.

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 07:03 AM
LMFAO :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

C'MON MAN......SERIOUSLY?????? i EVEN PUT PICTURES OF HIM......AND I PROVIDED HIS NAME A BUNCH OF TIMES!!!!!!! I WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT THE OTHER TRASH PLAYER NAMED MIKE WILLIAMS.....I WAS TALKING ABOUT DAMIAN WILLIAMS WR FROM USC....#18 AS U CAN SEE FROM THE PICTURES I PUT UP!!!!!!!! BUT ANYWAYS JUST MAKE SURE YOU READ THE WHOLE THING BEFORE YOU STATE YOUR OPINION....BECAUSE OTHERWISE YOU WILL MAKE YOURSELF LOOK STUPID & YOU'LL LOSE YOUR CREDIBILITY!!!!

Dude just dont read whatdoiknows posts because he heard mike wallace will want 60 million in cash.

idiot.

SteelerFanInStl
04-14-2010, 08:01 AM
BECAUSE OTHERWISE YOU WILL MAKE YOURSELF LOOK STUPID & YOU'LL LOSE YOUR CREDIBILITY!!!!

Too late! :sofunny:

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 08:09 AM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/images/10/22/mardy-gilyard-cb.jpg

SteelMember
04-14-2010, 08:46 AM
I'll throw Demaryius Thomas in the hat. 6' 3" , 224lbs.

http://www.the-line.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Copy-of-bebebc2.jpg

If Cowher were still picking, he'd probably go for a guy like Jacoby Ford. 5'8", 186 with the 4.28s 40.

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 08:48 AM
http://blackchristiannews.com/news/cincinnatix-large.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/12/06/sports/photos_stories/crooped/mardy_gilyard--300x300.jpg

PittdaBurgh56
04-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Drafting Gilyard would be a mistake

taztroy43
04-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Dude just dont read whatdoiknows posts because he heard mike wallace will want 60 million in cash.

idiot.

LOL.....you're right about that....I wont read his crap......lol.....that guy is :screwy:

taztroy43
04-14-2010, 09:46 AM
I'll throw Demaryius Thomas in the hat. 6' 3" , 224lbs.

http://www.the-line.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Copy-of-bebebc2.jpg

If Cowher were still picking, he'd probably go for a guy like Jacoby Ford. 5'8", 186 with the 4.28s 40.

This guy is a BEAST....but D.Thomas is very raw....at least from what I've been hearing and reading.....some scouts say that he will have trouble running certain routes but I think he can learn....but if anybody is comparable to Brandon Marshall it has to be this guy!!!!!

taztroy43
04-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Too late! :sofunny:

:rofl:

steeldawg
04-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Drafting Gilyard would be a mistake

i agree we already have antwaan randle el

ksmith_steelers
04-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Ok I dont post on here too much, but what do you guys think about Eric Decker? He's got good size 6'3" 217lbs, rep'd 225lbs 19 times at his pro day, runs somewhere around a 4.5, and not that it really matters but he did have the highest score on the wonderlic of any combine invitee. He is coming off of a foot injury though, but is very determined to suceed. Don't flame me too bad, haha. have a great day

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=76077&draftyear=2010&genpos=wr

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 10:29 AM
To above:

You like whoever you want, I like Gilyard and im not getting flamed dispite the fact that i put pics of him up owning pittsburgh lmao

PittdaBurgh56
04-14-2010, 10:44 AM
To above:

You like whoever you want, I like Gilyard and im not getting flamed dispite the fact that i put pics of him up owning pittsburgh lmao

You not getting flamed for putting pics of him beating pitt because no one cares its a steelers message board not Pitt Panthers.

And im giving my opinion that the steelers shouldnt draft a guy like him. Thats what i message board is for open discussion. So talk x's and o's. So if you would like talk abou how gilyard would be a good pick for the steelers and people can argue or agree with you. None of this beating around the bush stuff.

SteelMember
04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Ok I dont post on here too much, but what do you guys think about Eric Decker? He's got good size 6'3" 217lbs, rep'd 225lbs 19 times at his pro day, runs somewhere around a 4.5, and not that it really matters but he did have the highest score on the wonderlic of any combine invitee. He is coming off of a foot injury though, but is very determined to suceed. Don't flame me too bad, haha. have a great day

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=76077&draftyear=2010&genpos=wr

Strengths:
Terrific height and bulk --- Great natural athleticism --- Outstanding hands and can make the difficult catch --- Excellent ball skills and body control --- Polished route runner --- Tough --- Not afraid to work across the middle --- Runs hard after the catch --- Plays through pain --- Great blocker --- Smart with nice awareness --- Superb Work Ethic --- Leader.

Weaknesses:
Isn't explosive and lacks great speed --- Won't be much of a vertical threat --- Has short arms and small hands --- Not a great leaper --- Is not overly elusive --- Will have lapses in concentration --- Some trouble beating the jam --- Average strength --- Health / Durability is a concern.

Not too bad for a golden gopher, but there are some injury/durability questions.

Senior season was cut short by a Lisfranc injury to his left foot, which required surgery and prevented him from taking part in the Senior Bowl or working out for NFL teams prior to the draft --- Could drop a round or two based on all of the uncertainty surrounding his health --- Also dealt with head, shoulder, ankle and knee injuries during his college career

SteelC7
04-14-2010, 11:43 PM
i understand wallace is our new satonio holmes, bu ward is gettin up there, as is randle el, so who should we draft in 2nd or 3rd round????

SS43Polamalu
04-14-2010, 11:48 PM
i understand wallace is our new satonio holmes, bu ward is gettin up there, as is randle el, so who should we draft in 2nd or 3rd round????

I personally like Jordan Shipley, he's not that fast but the guy doesn't drop anything and we should be able to grab him in the 3rd.

whatdoiknow
04-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Shipley is a Yomans WR. But he was in a fast-paced spread offense. And his game may not transfer as easily to the pros. Not to mention he has had some serious Injury Issues. I doubt he goes in the 3rd. And I wouldn't want him in the 3rd either. Maybe the 4th round, but that's as high as I would go.

SS43Polamalu
04-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Shipley is a Yomans WR. But he was in a fast-paced spread offense. And his game may not transfer as easily to the pros. Not to mention he has had some serious Injury Issues. I doubt he goes in the 3rd. And I wouldn't want him in the 3rd either. Maybe the 4th round, but that's as high as I would go.

Well now that i think about it some more I'd prefer Golden Tate in the second, but only because Shipley will be turning 25, so we could get a good 3-4 more years out of Tate. FYI experts have Shipley going in the third, he's being called the next Wes Welker.

PhantomJB93
04-15-2010, 12:17 AM

Ya, remember the last time we took a Texas wideout with injury issues:chuckle:

Again Im biased as Im a ND fan but if it gets to the point where we feel comfortable trading into the first or early second and Golden Tate is still available we need to jump on that opportunity, if he's gone than im fine with any of the other guys in this discussion but all bias aside I think Tate could really end up being our "New Hines" for the next 10+ seasons if we give him that opportunity, whereas i really dont see any of the other guys becoming a long term solution.

whatdoiknow
04-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Look at these sites

http://www.gbnreport.com/top100.html

http://cfn.scout.com/2/938803.html

These are two of the most respected scouts. And one has Shipley at # 114 The other doesn't have him in the top-100. I guess someone could reach for Shipley in round 3. But it will be a reach.

SS43Polamalu
04-15-2010, 01:16 AM
Look at these sites

http://www.gbnreport.com/top100.html

http://cfn.scout.com/2/938803.html

These are two of the most respected scouts. And one has Shipley at # 114 The other doesn't have him in the top-100. I guess someone could reach for Shipley in round 3. But it will be a reach.

I could see him going 3rd round but i wouldn't be that surprised to see him fall to the early 4th. Also just so you know, those sites are rankings of the best players in the draft(and i agree with most of the rankings), but they have NOTHING to do with team needs and when they could be selected.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33737&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

According to that site, we're both right. Projected 3-4 round.

whatdoiknow
04-15-2010, 01:31 AM
I agree with that. Those are just their rankings. You never know where a league GM might have a player ranked.

SteelerFanInStl
04-15-2010, 08:18 AM

I don't want to see a WR before the 4th. You can still get a quality WR later in the draft and we have bigger needs.

steelerdave1969
04-15-2010, 09:27 AM
golden tate or arrelious benn. steelers are high on both. especially benn.

Will the Steelers select a WR in this upcoming draft a week from today? . . . Yes they will . . . mark it down they will take one atleast one. And I love the Arrelious Benn kid as well, he has good size and pretty good speed.

whatdoiknow
04-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Will the Steelers select a WR in this upcoming draft a week from today? . . . Yes they will . . . mark it down they will take one atleast one. And I love the Arrelious Benn kid as well, he has good size and pretty good speed.

And absolutely HORRIBLE Hands! But then again, how big a deal is it that a WR cannot catch the ball :toofunny:

SteelerFanInStl
04-15-2010, 01:42 PM
And absolutely HORRIBLE Hands! But then again, how big a deal is it that a WR cannot catch the ball :toofunny:

No, he doesn't have horrible hands. He caught everything thrown his way his Freshman and Sophomore seasons and then he was inconsistent his Junior year with the problems the Illini had at QB. I've seen him play a lot and he has great talent but I'm wary of him. He's a boom or bust guy.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-15-2010, 01:56 PM
No, he doesn't have horrible hands. He caught everything thrown his way his Freshman and Sophomore seasons and then he was inconsistent his Junior year with the problems the Illini had at QB. I've seen him play a lot and he has great talent but I'm wary of him. He's a boom or bust guy.
He has never had more than 3TD's in a season and the only year that he had more than 700 yards was in 2008.

That being said...your right about the Illini's substandard QB play.

Benn may end up being a good player if he can learn to catch the ball away from his body...but I am more concerened with his route running. Without speed...he is going to HAVE to be a better route runner than he showed in Champaign.

My two picks for BUST this year are Jason Pierre-Paul and Arrelious Benn.

supa_fly_steeler
04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
what if santonio resigned with us in the summer lol. use the jets for a fifth round pick

taztroy43
04-15-2010, 02:24 PM
He has never had more than 3TD's in a season and the only year that he had more than 700 yards was in 2008.

That being said...your right about the Illini's substandard QB play.

Benn may end up being a good player if he can learn to catch the ball away from his body...but I am more concerened with his route running. Without speed...he is going to HAVE to be a better route runner than he showed in Champaign.

My two picks for BUST this year are Jason Pierre-Paul and Arrelious Benn.

I hear some experts compare A. Benn to Braylon Edwards of the Jets....they say that A. Benn is B. Edwards 2.0 because he drops some catchable balls....just like B.Edwards.....:noidea:....they are both incredible athletes but in order to play reciever you need consistent hands......otherwise you turn into LAME"ASS" SWEED....lol....j-p....I honestly hope he steps up his game now that he has a chance to be our #3 guy.....I would be surprised if ARE took him out....but I wouldn't be shocked....after all its SWEED were talking about.........:tt04:

pancake
04-15-2010, 02:26 PM
I would say the best one available in the 3rd round or later...

1st two rounds will be CB and OL... IMO

steelerdave1969
04-15-2010, 02:31 PM

I'm starting to wonder if this kid is Mel Kiper III. Dude from everything that I have read and seen on video of him he makes all the catches and has the speed to get down the field and get open.

taztroy43
04-16-2010, 12:36 AM
I would say the best one available in the 3rd round or later...

1st two rounds will be CB and OL... IMO

I think by the time we pick in the second....D. Thomas, G. Tate, A. Benn, and of course Dez Bryant will be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd....so the Steelers might go with CB and OL....like u mentioned pancake.....but IMO they will probably trade down a couple of picks and then take an OL....because I seriously doubt that FS/CB E. Thomas will be there....and I think K. Wilson might not be there @ 18 as well....:noidea:...so I think the Steelers will take an OL in the 1st......wether it be C/G M. Pouncey, G/T M. Iupati, or even LT/RT B. Campbell if he slips this draft.....but for sure in the second they will select a CB if they go with an OL in the 1st....the possible guys I see in the second are CB Chris Cook, Kareem Jackson(if he doesn't go in the 1st), Patrick Robinson, Brandon Ghee, Dominique Franks, or even Akwasi Owusu-Ansah(most likely be a 3 round pick...reportedly ran a 4.31 40 @ his pro day...he's 6' 207 27 B.R.....).......thats how I see the frist 2 picks going....and in the 3rd the Steelers will mostlikely go for a WR or just wait until the later rounds.....

So....
1-OL
2-CB
3-DT or WR(they may wait to take a WR late...such as converted QB Joe Webb 6'3" 223lbs 21B.R. 42 1/2" verticle.....ran a 4.44 40 and had 11'05" broad jump...)

SteelerFanInStl
04-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Andre Roberts in the 4th

Steeldude
04-16-2010, 09:37 AM
I think with the Steelers trading their most productive receiver we can safely assume that they're going to take a WR in one of the first two rounds. My question for you guys is, "Who do you like?"
I think I'll go with the best available. I really don't know enough about any of them to have a preference.

i hope they do not waste a pick on a WR in the first 3 rounds.

PittdaBurgh56
04-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Arrelious Benn!