PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger, Goodell end meeting in NY - - no news on suspension

Fire Haley
04-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Roethlisberger, Goodell meet in NY

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Ben Roethlisberger has finished his meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, and there's no immediate word if the Steelers quarterback will be punished for his problems off the field.

Roethlisberger flew to New York from his Pittsburgh home one day after a Georgia district attorney announced the player would not be charged after a college student accused him of sexually assaulting her in a nightclub bathroom last month.

He tells ESPN that Tuesday's meeting was "very productive."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello says the league will review the facts - in accordance with its personal conduct code - and will follow up with Roethlisberger and the Steelers.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/04/13/sports-fbn-roethlisberger-goodell_7511395.html

-------------------

Back to work

steelpride12
04-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Nothing is carved in stone yet don't kick your feet back yet more is on it's way.

Gnutella
04-13-2010, 05:06 PM
I hope Art Rooney beats Ben Roethlisberger into August.

Merchant
04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Well that wasn't very informative :\

Thought we would know right away if there was going to be a suspension from Goodell.. guess not

SteelersBry79
04-13-2010, 05:13 PM
I still have good feeling about the meeting, but knowing Goodell, he's still waiting on what Robert Kraft says before he can make his decision.

stillers4me
04-13-2010, 05:14 PM
I want them to relaese the schedule first. I don't want the Bungholes or the Rats to petition for the first couple of games.

Fire Haley
04-13-2010, 05:22 PM
On his way out, Big Ben told cameras, "It was a very productive meeting about a very personal matter."

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2010/04/13/0413-bigben-exit-video-credit.jpg

caption time

"I need a shot and a beer"

Gnutella
04-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Step 1 to redemption: cut your goddamn hear before you meet with the Commish. :thmbup:

SteelCityMom
04-13-2010, 05:39 PM
On his way out, Big Ben told cameras, "It was a very productive meeting about a very personal matter."

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2010/04/13/0413-bigben-exit-video-credit.jpg

caption time

"I need a shot and a beer"

If that's a recent pic (i'm assuming it is) Hallelujah for him getting a hair cut.

SteelersBry79
04-13-2010, 05:42 PM
If that's a recent pic (i'm assuming it is) Hallelujah for him getting a hair cut.

Yep, that's from just a little while ago. Smart move on his part.

stillers4me
04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
I wonder if he even left the house for the last month?

zulater
04-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Yep, that's from just a little while ago. Smart move on his part.

A day late, but a good move nonetheless.

Nadroj 20
04-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Thank goodness for the haircut, he looked pathetic.

Also i still think he is going to be suspended, i just have that feeling with the way things are going. I hope im wrong

SteelersBry79
04-13-2010, 05:47 PM
A day late, but a good move nonetheless.

A day late? It's still Tuesday here on the East Coast and the meeting took place just a little while ago: "Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger wrapped up his meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday afternoon."

Gnutella
04-13-2010, 05:59 PM
A day late? It's still Tuesday here on the East Coast and the meeting took place just a little while ago: "Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger wrapped up his meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday afternoon."

He had that stupid-looking haircut on Monday when he made his press statement. It was a day too late.

SteelerFanInStl
04-13-2010, 06:02 PM

:toofunny: He's talking about the haircut being a day late. Ben should've cut the mullet before his statement reading yesterday.

SteelersBry79
04-13-2010, 06:03 PM
He had that stupid-looking haircut on Monday when he made his press statement. It was a day too late.

I know. I saw the press statement too, along with his bad haircut. But the picture a few posts back is just from today with his new haircut. I hope we never see him with that faux-mullet style again.

steelerdude15
04-13-2010, 06:04 PM
I just want this all to be over with. I want them back in camp, working out and doing what they have to do. This is just a giant mess, that's all it is. Why does the offseason have to suck so much... Let's Go Pens!

stillers4me
04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
HIs haircut wouldn't have mattered. His statement apparently wasn't good enough anyway.

fansince'76
04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
HIs haircut wouldn't have mattered. His statement apparently wasn't good enough anyway.

Nope, and it wouldn't have been good enough no matter what he said, which is why the whole exercise could've and should've (IMO) been skipped.

tube517
04-13-2010, 06:08 PM
:rofl:

Step 1 to redemption: cut your goddamn hear before you meet with the Commish. :thmbup:

stillers4me
04-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Nope, and it wouldn't have been good enough no matter what he said, which is why the whole exercise could've and should've (IMO) been skipped.

He would have been crucified for not making a statement and the one he made was criticized. I really don't know what people expected to hear....a full confession of guilt, sobbing and begging for mercy?

SteelersBry79
04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
He would have been crucified for not making a statement and the one he made was criticized. I really don't know what people expected to hear....a full confession of guilt, sobbing and begging for mercy?

At least he should've looked up at the cameras more than he did, and at least try to act sincere. Whoever wrote that statement should be suspended.

P.S. I love the "God bless you" at the end. God bless who? His lawyer?

stillers4me
04-13-2010, 06:22 PM
At least he should've looked up at the cameras more than he did, and at least try to act sincere. Whoever wrote that statement should be suspended.

So tell us, in your own words how you could have done it better?

SteelersBry79
04-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Well, seeing as how I've never been charged with any crime, let me take a stab at this:

"First I would like to apologize to the Steelers organization for the embarrassment I've given them, to my family, the NFL, and to the Steeler Nation. I was being totally selfish and wasn't thinking of what everyone else would be put through had something like this occurred. I have learned my lesson and will take charge of my actions and my life off the field from now on and will not be an embarrassment again. I can only hope the Steelers organization, namely the Rooneys can forgive me and I accept whatever punishment they should happen to give me. I'm glad that this is over and done with and I'm looking forward to getting back to training and working towards winning the Super Bowl again. Thank you for your time and understanding."

That's how I would do it.

steeldawg
04-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Well i fear that ben will be suspended the media has played the race card and basically backed goodell into a corner

stillers4me
04-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Well, seeing as how I've never been charged with any crime, let me take a stab at this:

"First I would like to apologize to the Steelers organization for the embarrassment I've given them, to my family, the NFL, and to the Steeler Nation. I was being totally selfish and wasn't thinking of what everyone else would be put through had something like this occurred. I have learned my lesson and will take charge of my actions and my life off the field from now on and will not be an embarrassment again. I can only hope the Steelers organization, namely the Rooneys can forgive me and I accept whatever punishment they should happen to give me. I'm glad that this is over and done with and I'm looking forward to getting back to training and working towards winning the Super Bowl again. Thank you for your time and understanding."

umm...that's basically what he said.

steeldawg
04-13-2010, 06:35 PM

well ben has never been charged with a crime either.

SteelersBry79
04-13-2010, 06:38 PM
umm...that's basically what he said.

But I wouldn't be reading it from a pre-written statement is what I'm trying to get across

well ben has never been charged with a crime either.

Correction: I've never been accused of a crime either.

plenewken
04-13-2010, 06:44 PM

P.S. I love the "God bless you" at the end. God bless who? His lawyer?

Ben came across like he doesn't fully realize the severity of the situation. I didn't perceive one bit of contrition when he made his statement last night.
Maybe his numerous concussions are one of the reasons?

steeldawg
04-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Ben came across like he doesn't fully realize the severity of the situation. I didn't perceive one bit of contrition when he made his statement last night.

what do you think he should have said

SteelersBry79
04-13-2010, 06:58 PM

That's exactly my point. I've felt that maybe his concussions are to blame for this whole mess, but then again, if you're born an idiot, you don't need a few hits on the head to confirm. You can't fix stupid.

plenewken
04-13-2010, 07:00 PM
what do you think he should have said

It's more his body language than what he said. By the way, what he said was written on a piece of paper and most likely was written by someone else.

plenewken
04-13-2010, 07:02 PM
That's exactly my point. I've felt that maybe his concussions are to blame for this whole mess, but then again, if you're born an idiot, you don't need a few hits on the head to confirm. You can't fix stupid.

One of my friends thinks he's jacked up and this doesn't help his brain and his level of testosterone.

Kaeg
04-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Maybe if he does know in his heart that he didn't do anything wrong, (I mean, at least in any legal sense.) he can't bring himself to apologize specifically for anything, but more in general for the embarrassment to the organization.

Vincent
04-13-2010, 07:16 PM
I hope Art Rooney beats Ben Roethlisberger into August.

I hope he beats him into St Louis.

msafford
04-13-2010, 07:22 PM

Amen to that!!! :thumbsup:

Vincent
04-13-2010, 08:03 PM

I'll write his script, just like someone else did for him...

I am a 28 year old man that has been made rich by a professional football team that made me its franchise quarterback on the basis of their trust and expectations of me. I have done well on the field. I have failed miserably off the field through very bad judgment, poor choices, and terrible behavior.

Most recently I have completely disrupted the offseason of my team and team mates on a regrettable evening in college town bars in Georgia. Given my station, I had no business being there. My judgment went from bad to nearly disastrous when I chose to enter that "VIP area" with young women.

I again put my own selfishness ahead of those that have helped put me in the position I enjoy and am blessed to be in. I have shamed the Roethlisberger family name and my own loved ones. I have shamed my town, my high school, my college and all of my team mates. I have shamed Pittsburgh, the proud name of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the station I have been given - franchise quarterback and face of the team. I have failed the bond and trust we team mates have. You all held up your end. I gave into temptation. I have jeopardized our season. I have become a distraction rather than the leader I should be.

I have made a mockery of the apology I made and the grace and forgiveness I received from all of you not yet a year ago for the same selfish behavior. I have no right to have exposed you all to this under any circumstances, much less in light of all you have done for me.

I can stand here and mouth more hollow expressions of regret, and even beg your forgiveness. That would be a waste of our time. All that matters is action.

I would beg the Rooney's further indulgence in a business proposition. Let us start with a clean slate. I wish to rejoin the team as the rookie I was in the summer of 2004. Without station. Without favor. Under the terms of the rookie contract you so graciously gave me when you selected my in the draft. No signing bonus. Just the rookie salaries. You had many good choices you could have made in 2004. I think you made the right one at the time. I ask for the opportunity to earn back that trust. And as the first contract went before, lets reevaluate where we are in three years.

I would be very humbly thankful for that consideration, and would give every bit of myself to see it through to the expectations put upon the franchise quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

My greatest mistake as a young man has been to take. It is time for me to walk as a man and serve. Serve my family and friends. Serve Pittsburgh. Serve the Pittsburgh Steelers. Serve my team mates. Hopefully as time begins to heal this wound, you will see fit to ask. I will give. I will serve. It would be my privilege to do so.

Thank you.

Of course, he could just be a dickhead, show up out of shape, unshaven in a stupid doo and a red shirt, and be "glad this is behind me". That would be sooooo much easier.

86WARD
04-13-2010, 08:15 PM
I hope he beats him into St Louis.

:screwy:

Burghfan58
04-13-2010, 09:19 PM
I'll write his script, just like someone else did for him...

I am a 28 year old man that has been made rich by a professional football team that made me its franchise quarterback on the basis of their trust and expectations of me. I have done well on the field. I have failed miserably off the field through very bad judgment, poor choices, and terrible behavior.

Most recently I have completely disrupted the offseason of my team and team mates on a regrettable evening in college town bars in Georgia. Given my station, I had no business being there. My judgment went from bad to nearly disastrous when I chose to enter that "VIP area" with young women.

I again put my own selfishness ahead of those that have helped put me in the position I enjoy and am blessed to be in. I have shamed the Roethlisberger family name and my own loved ones. I have shamed my town, my high school, my college and all of my team mates. I have shamed Pittsburgh, the proud name of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the station I have been given - franchise quarterback and face of the team. I have failed the bond and trust we team mates have. You all held up your end. I gave into temptation. I have jeopardized our season. I have become a distraction rather than the leader I should be.

I have made a mockery of the apology I made and the grace and forgiveness I received from all of you not yet a year ago for the same selfish behavior. I have no right to have exposed you all to this under any circumstances, much less in light of all you have done for me.

I can stand here and mouth more hollow expressions of regret, and even beg your forgiveness. That would be a waste of our time. All that matters is action.

I would beg the Rooney's further indulgence in a business proposition. Let us start with a clean slate. I wish to rejoin the team as the rookie I was in the summer of 2004. Without station. Without favor. Under the terms of the rookie contract you so graciously gave me when you selected my in the draft. No signing bonus. Just the rookie salaries. You had many good choices you could have made in 2004. I think you made the right one at the time. I ask for the opportunity to earn back that trust. And as the first contract went before, lets reevaluate where we are in three years.

I would be very humbly thankful for that consideration, and would give every bit of myself to see it through to the expectations put upon the franchise quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

My greatest mistake as a young man has been to take. It is time for me to walk as a man and serve. Serve my family and friends. Serve Pittsburgh. Serve the Pittsburgh Steelers. Serve my team mates. Hopefully as time begins to heal this wound, you will see fit to ask. I will give. I will serve. It would be my privilege to do so.

Thank you.

Of course, he could just be a dickhead, show up out of shape, unshaven in a stupid doo and a red shirt, and be "glad this is behind me". That would be sooooo much easier.

Nice speech but way too intelligent sounding for Ben. If Ben could write or even deliver that speech he probably wouldn't be in this mess. Good job anyway.:thumbsup:

Fire Haley
04-14-2010, 11:42 AM
All is well...Holmes was sacrificed for the good of the team....back to work

Roethlisberger joins Steelers workout