PDA

View Full Version : Fans, not players, talk about Ben Roethlisberger

mesaSteeler
04-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Fans, not players, talk about Ben Roethlisberger
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_676376.html
By Michael Aubele
VALLEY NEWS DISPATCH
Wednesday, April 14, 2010

At a benefit basketball game in Plum on Tuesday night, Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall agreed to talk about basketball but refused to comment about the controversy surrounding his quarterback.

"No, (I'm) not gonna get into that," Mendenhall said when asked if he would discuss the legal troubles that have hounded Ben Roethlisberger or the affect those issues are having on the team.

He also declined to comment on Santonio Holmes' trade this week.

Mendenhall participated with the Steelers pick-up team that played teachers from the Plum School District at Plum Senior High School.

Steelers fans at the game had plenty to say, though.

"I wouldn't mind seeing him get traded," Plum resident Rich Rossi, 43, said of Roethlisberger. "The team hasn't put up with guys like him before and shouldn't start now. This has been a class-act organization."

Rossi's son, Richie, 13, said of the team's decision to trade Holmes, "I thought it was a stupid decision, but he deserved it."

Nicole Kennedy, 11, of Plum, said of Roethlisberger, "I like him as a player, but not as a person."

"He's been disappointing, very disappointing," Nicole's mother, Susan, said of Roethlisberger. "There have been just too many incidents. I'm done with it. Let him go. Let's start fresh with someone else. This is a team that prides itself on having good role models."

Michael Aubele can be reached at maubele@tribweb.com or 724-226-4673.

(Question: For those of you in Pittsburgh how common are the above sentiments about Big Ben? What has been the reaction of the folks who call the talk shows? - mesa)

Indo
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Interesting.
I went to that high school

SteelKid212
04-14-2010, 09:12 AM
wow... lots of fans want him outta pittsburgh?

steeldawg
04-14-2010, 09:25 AM
wow... lots of fans want him outta pittsburgh?

No they are only posting interviews from people wanting him out.

Edman
04-14-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm kind of leaning towards letting Ben go as well.

Let's face it. The guy has constantly proven to show a complete lack of mental restraint in the offseason. Even if he hasn't been convicted of anything, he constantly puts himself in situations that embarrass the league and this organization. If he didn't get it in 2006, he'll never get it.

You're a franchise QB. You're supposed to be the leader of this team. You're supposed to set an example. Ben did none of that, and I'm even more pissed at him with his "I want to be a role model for kids" line. Banging women and getting them sent to the hospital sure is role-model worthy, Ben. We just let Holmes go for being a dumbass. Don't be surprised if something big happens on draft day regarding number 7. The Rooneys know what is going on behind the scenes, and if they're not happy, this is probably going worse than we thought.

This isn't about what you did in the past, Ben. This is about the future of this team and organiazation. And right now, your future looks mighty bleak.

Steelers>NFL
04-14-2010, 09:26 AM
And Ben is no role model. Never was!

memphissteelergirl
04-14-2010, 09:33 AM
No they are only posting interviews from people wanting him out.

Actually, from what I heard on Mike and Mike this morning, the general consenus is that folks up there are pretty "disgusted" with Ben right now. M&M was referring to the host of the local talk show at the local ESPN affiliate in Pittsburgh (Savran, is it? Correct me if I'm wrong)

tube517
04-14-2010, 09:36 AM
I wish the draft would get here. It will give us something else to focus on. I think I'm done talking about Ben and Santonio

steeldawg
04-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Let's face it. The guy has constantly proven to show a complete lack of mental restraint in the offseason. Even if he hasn't been convicted of anything, he constantly puts himself in situations that embarrass the league and this organization. If he didn't get it in 2006, he'll never get it.

You're a franchise QB. You're supposed to be the leader of this team. You're supposed to set an example. Ben did none of that, and I'm even more pissed at him with his "I want to be a role model for kids" line. Banging women and getting them sent to the hospital sure is role-model worthy, Ben. We just let Holmes go for being a dumbass. Don't be surprised if something big happens on draft day regarding number 7. The Rooneys know what is going on behind the scenes, and if they're not happy, this is probably going worse than we thought.

This isn't about what you did in the past, Ben. This is about the future of this team and organiazation. And right now, your future looks mighty bleak.

Ben did act like a franchise qb he won 2 sb's thats what his job is. Let me guess you recommend we draft Tebow. Holmes was let go because it made sense with his contract ending and he was facing a 4 game suspension and there was no way we were going to pay him the money he was gonna want. I could care less if he bangs women if you think any of the players in the league are not having sex you are kidding yourself. The rooneys might be mad but they're not stupid no way in hell ben is traded.

SteelGhost
04-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Ben did act like a franchise qb he won 2 sb's thats what his job is. Let me guess you recommend we draft Tebow. Holmes was let go because it made sense with his contract ending and he was facing a 4 game suspension and there was no way we were going to pay him the money he was gonna want. I could care less if he bangs women if you think any of the players in the league are not having sex you are kidding yourself. The rooneys might be mad but they're not stupid no way in hell ben is traded.

^^THIS.

The Rooneys must be mad at BB because he was caught :chuckle: but I don't think they'll trade him :noidea:

seven86
04-14-2010, 10:07 AM

and the evidence that he was banging a chick in a bathroom is where? The only one who said that happened was a drunk 20 year old. All other witnesses, including the not drunk, cop body guards saw nothing.

seven86
04-14-2010, 10:09 AM
"I wouldn't mind seeing him get traded," Plum resident Rich Rossi, 43, said of Roethlisberger. "The team hasn't put up with guys like him before and shouldn't start now. This has been a class-act organization."

People are so misinformed. The Steelers have put up with several players with issues.

shinoff2183
04-14-2010, 12:06 PM

People are so misinformed. The Steelers have put up with several players with issues.

Im thinking the same thing, hell there was even an article posted about the player from the 70's who was shooting off a gun on the highway, and a police pursuit.
I even so posts of people cheering about it, not exactly cheering, but I hope you know what I mean.

T.Richardson
04-14-2010, 12:44 PM

yep. James Harrison, Jeff Reed anyone?

fansince'76
04-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Im thinking the same thing, hell there was even an article posted about the player from the 70's who was shooting off a gun on the highway, and a police pursuit.
I even so posts of people cheering about it, not exactly cheering, but I hope you know what I mean.

Ernie Holmes. And I'm sure there was plenty of other shady shit that went on back in the day that the fans were never privy to as there was no World Wide Web, no 24-hour news cycle, and with that, no ESPN, no NFL Network, not to mention about 50 or so other cable news channels that report everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, in minute detail.

wootawnee
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Looks like Ben's a big Poo-Poo......:noidea:

SteelersBry79
04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
What boggles my mind is how people are so quick to say "get rid of him" or "trade him" and overlook the fact that he did help win 2 Super Bowls and hopefully more to come. Some people are truly fair weather fans when it suits their purpose.

"Oh Ben didn't win a Super Bowl this year but he was in another alleged assault case? Fire his ass!!!! Ben and the Steelers won another Super Bowl? Oh isn't he the best thing to hit this town in 30 years!"

You see where I'm going with this? People seem to call themselves "true fans", but in the long run they're only fans when we win and everyone has a nice clean image.

Myself personally, I really don't give a crap what they do in their personal lives, albeit everything except rape, murder and child endangerment. I watch the Steelers no matter what happens to who because I was born into a Steelers house and I'm not a fan when we win championships. I stick to my team and it's players no matter what the ordeal is, and that ladies and gents is a true fan.

Gnutella
04-14-2010, 02:32 PM
You know, for all the great QBs that have come from the state of Pennsylvania, I think it's fitting that none of them have ever played for either of Pennsylvania's NFL teams, considering neither fan base has any appreciation for great QBs on their teams.

stillers4me
04-14-2010, 02:43 PM
You know, for all the great QBs that have come from the state of Pennsylvania, I think it's fitting that none of them have ever played for either of Pennsylvania's NFL teams, considering neither fan base has any appreciation for great QBs on their teams.

Bingo. I'm not surprised that being the QB for the Steelers has lead Ben to drink and lead a depraved lifestyle. I'm being serious. Nothing is ever good enough. We won superbowl XL and it wasn't good enough. So his stats weren't great for that game, but everybody forgets about the games leading up to it. Apparantly, that ate away at him and he went out, played his heart out and won another and that's never been good enough, either.

vindrow
04-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Gotta love these people...if they were to trade him or let him go, and the Steelers have a couple of losing seasons those same people that wanted him gone would be the first ones bitching, whining, and moaning about the Steelers losing.

CanadianSteel
04-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Can't let him go, need to stand behind him at this point.

Sick of all the negative media regarding Ben, and are using Pacman as a reference... Everyone in the media who is not a Steeler fan seems to want him gone for a good chucnk of season... he Fed up... but C'mon, did Bellicheck get suspended for conduct policy for taping games and cheating..... Ben appears to be a d*ckhead bu we need to see if he can chnage his ways - look how much love there is for Ray Lewis..... Maybe Ben can get back there in a few years...

Also we get stuff on what great move the Jets made picking up Tone..... but nothin abpout how they should be concerned, worried about player conduct.... crappy media.... OK i am done..

RoethlisBURGHer
04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Can't let him go, need to stand behind him at this point.

Sick of all the negative media regarding Ben, and are using Pacman as a reference... Everyone in the media who is not a Steeler fan seems to want him gone for a good chucnk of season... he Fed up... but C'mon, did Bellicheck get suspended for conduct policy for taping games and cheating..... Ben appears to be a d*ckhead bu we need to see if he can chnage his ways - look how much love there is for Ray Lewis..... Maybe Ben can get back there in a few years...

Also we get stuff on what great move the Jets made picking up Tone..... but nothin abpout how they should be concerned, worried about player conduct.... crappy media.... OK i am done..

AGREED TOTALLY!

Last I checked, Ben was never slapped with handcuffs. Never been charged, never had to stand before a judge and face the music.

The holier-than-thou crowd really needs to pipe down. They need to look at themselves, because I would bet that they aren't perfect.

HAWK
04-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Exactly.

If you trade or suspend Ben for this, you're punishing him for getting laid.

I'm not saying that because Ben's a Steeler. I feel many athletes are criticized beyond reason because they're athletes. You or me and no one gives a shite.

spyboots
04-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Many wanted Bradshaw run out of town too - then he led us on to win 4 super bowls.

Joe Namath was quite a playboy but things were seen differently back then.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-15-2010, 05:38 AM
Exactly.

If you trade or suspend Ben for this, you're punishing him for getting laid.

I'm not saying that because Ben's a Steeler. I feel many athletes are criticized beyond reason because they're athletes. You or me and no one gives a shite.

The problem is that these days people expect athletes to be role models for their children. When I was a kid, which wasn't that long ago....my parents and grandparents were my role models.

I don't see how people can expect professional athletes to be role models when the very people we elect to public office can't even be role models.