PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall traded to the Dolphins

Steel_12
04-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Wow...way to be impatient Steelers. This dude is more of a cancer than Santonio and he gets a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd rounder next year?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5085644

The Denver Broncos are trading wide receiver Brandon Marshall to the Miami Dolphins for a second-round pick in next week's NFL draft and what league sources say is an additional second-round pick in 2011.

Marshall

The trade is contingent upon the league processing the paperwork and Marshall passing his physical, neither of which is expected to be an issue on Wednesday.

Marshall is scheduled to fly to Miami to take his physical and, if he passes, sign what will be one of the most lucrative wide receiver deals in NFL history, according to league sources. In return, the Broncos will get two high draft picks for a player who caused them headaches in addition to making plays.

In little more than one year, with a pair of blockbuster trades, Denver has recouped two first-round picks, two second-round picks, a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton in exchange for Jay Cutler and Marshall.

The Broncos now head into next Thursday's draft armed with three picks in the top two rounds, but with a big hole fill at wide receiver. Marshall caught 101 passes for 1,120 yards and 10 touchdowns last season. He has 327 career receptions for 4,019 yards and 25 touchdowns in four seasons, all in Denver.

The trade also shakes things up in the AFC East, as Miami will match and arguably top the deal the New York Jets made earlier this week, when they traded a fifth-round draft pick for talented but troubled Steelers recevier Santonio Holmes.

Marshall is one of the game's best young wide receivers, a mercurial talent at the position Miami needed help at most. He is in the prime of his career. But like Holmes, he also brings a reputation of being difficult to handle and a legal record that has him one strike from a year-long suspension.

Once Marshall signed his $2.5 million tender with the Broncos on Tuesday, it freed Denver to begin shopping him. Miami was hot after Marshall, as was Seattle. Tampa Bay showed some interest and even the Jets considered making a play for Marshall before their deal for Holmes, according to sources.

XxKnightxX
04-14-2010, 09:22 AM
and the AFC East has just become a nightmare to us. All of the best receivers are now playing on the AFC and we go against the North this year and the East. If we dont get out defenses straightened out then were going to get torched all season long.

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 09:25 AM
LOlz will be fun to watch when we draft a stupid offensive lineman for the first pick

Steel_12
04-14-2010, 09:35 AM
and the AFC East has just become a nightmare to us. All of the best receivers are now playing on the AFC and we go against the North this year and the East. If we dont get out defenses straightened out then were going to get torched all season long.

We are definitely in some trouble...more and more teams are passing us by while we just give away players.

steeldawg
04-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Wow...way to be impatient Steelers. This dude is more of a cancer than Santonio and he gets a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd rounder next year?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5085644

The Denver Broncos are trading wide receiver Brandon Marshall to the Miami Dolphins for a second-round pick in next week's NFL draft and what league sources say is an additional second-round pick in 2011.

Marshall

The trade is contingent upon the league processing the paperwork and Marshall passing his physical, neither of which is expected to be an issue on Wednesday.

Marshall is scheduled to fly to Miami to take his physical and, if he passes, sign what will be one of the most lucrative wide receiver deals in NFL history, according to league sources. In return, the Broncos will get two high draft picks for a player who caused them headaches in addition to making plays.

In little more than one year, with a pair of blockbuster trades, Denver has recouped two first-round picks, two second-round picks, a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton in exchange for Jay Cutler and Marshall.

The Broncos now head into next Thursday's draft armed with three picks in the top two rounds, but with a big hole fill at wide receiver. Marshall caught 101 passes for 1,120 yards and 10 touchdowns last season. He has 327 career receptions for 4,019 yards and 25 touchdowns in four seasons, all in Denver.

The trade also shakes things up in the AFC East, as Miami will match and arguably top the deal the New York Jets made earlier this week, when they traded a fifth-round draft pick for talented but troubled Steelers recevier Santonio Holmes.

Marshall is one of the game's best young wide receivers, a mercurial talent at the position Miami needed help at most. He is in the prime of his career. But like Holmes, he also brings a reputation of being difficult to handle and a legal record that has him one strike from a year-long suspension.

Once Marshall signed his $2.5 million tender with the Broncos on Tuesday, it freed Denver to begin shopping him. Miami was hot after Marshall, as was Seattle. Tampa Bay showed some interest and even the Jets considered making a play for Marshall before their deal for Holmes, according to sources.

lets not get crazy santonio holmes is not on brandon marshall's level

Steel_12
04-14-2010, 09:57 AM

Marshall is an elite receiver, no doubt, but so is Santonio. He might not be as big or physical as Marshall but he is just as talented. No way Marshall is worth two 2nd round picks and Holmes is just a 5th. Hell Moss was only worth a 4th, even tho it was the Raiders. I think we will regret just giving Holmes away. The Jets were going after Marshall as well but they stopped as soon as they robbed the Steelers!

steelerdude15
04-14-2010, 10:50 AM
The AFC East is going to be fun this upcoming year. The only team that won't matter will be the Bills. :yep:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Marshall is an elite receiver, no doubt, but so is Santonio. He might not be as big or physical as Marshall but he is just as talented. No way Marshall is worth two 2nd round picks and Holmes is just a 5th. Hell Moss was only worth a 4th, even tho it was the Raiders. I think we will regret just giving Holmes away. The Jets were going after Marshall as well but they stopped as soon as they robbed the Steelers!

I wouldn't put Holmes in that elite receiver category just yet. Damn good, but not elite.

SteelersinCA
04-14-2010, 01:23 PM

I disagree. Marshall is impossible to cover, flat out impossible. The man had 21 catches in a game, right? Holmes is good, but he's not even close to sniffing the talent in Marshall's jock.

Steel_12
04-14-2010, 01:39 PM
I disagree. Marshall is impossible to cover, flat out impossible. The man had 21 catches in a game, right? Holmes is good, but he's not even close to sniffing the talent in Marshall's jock.

Yeah he had 21 catches in a game but his avg. was less than 10 yards per catch. It's still impressive but Santonio had more yards. Take away 13 catches from Marshall (I know it's pointless but he didn't have more than 8 catches in any other game) and he only has 9 more catches than Tone with less yards. Marshall is a beast fasho but Santonio is right there with him. Plus we had way more weapons on offense than Denver did.

ricardisimo
04-14-2010, 02:33 PM

No, he's not. Holmes is a SB MVP and possibly a better teammate.

ricardisimo
04-14-2010, 02:34 PM
The AFC East is going to be fun this upcoming year. The only team that won't matter will be the Bills. :yep:

Watch they win the division. C'est la futbol.

St33lersguy
04-14-2010, 02:37 PM
So the broncos get two 2nd round picks for their reciever yet the black and gold get a 5th round pick (which has translated to nothing in recent years) for their reciever. :doh:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Word is Miami is looking to trade Ted Ginn now. Would anyone be interested in him for say a 4th or 5th round pick. Could contribute as a good third or fourth reciever. I believe he will be entering the fourth year of his five year rookie deal also.

Although, I read Miami is trying to package Ginn and move up near the top 10. Probably unlikely they will trade him staright up.

Steel_12
04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Word is Miami is looking to trade Ted Ginn now. Would anyone be interested in him for say a 4th or 5th round pick. Could contribute as a good third or fourth reciever. I believe he will be entering the fourth year of his five year rookie deal also.

If we trade a 4th round pick for Ginn and we gave away Tone for a 5th, I will shoot myself!

steelerdude15
04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't put Holmes in that elite receiver category just yet. Damn good, but not elite. :iagree:

revefsreleets
04-14-2010, 03:00 PM
(Clearing throat) You guys DO realize that the Steelers were going to just cut him, right? The 5th rd pick was better than that. We do understand that, right? This is apples and oranges with Marshall...

RoethlisBURGHer
04-14-2010, 03:00 PM
So the broncos get two 2nd round picks for their reciever yet the black and gold get a 5th round pick (which has translated to nothing in recent years) for their reciever. :doh:

There was more of a market for Marshall that there was for Holmes.

Marshall, while he has been a problem on the field, it has only been an on-field problem in the McDaniels regime....and to be honest McDaniels has rubbed a lot of people and players the wrong way.

Marshall wasn't going to be suspended for the first four games of the season.

Marshall is a better receiver than Holmes. Marshall is one of the elite receivers in the NFL, Holmes IMHO is a damn good one....but he's not on the level of Marshall.

Deion Branch won a Super Bowl MVP. What has he done outside of New England? Exactly. Super Bowl MVP doesn't mean as much as some people think it does.

Nadroj 20
04-14-2010, 03:54 PM
(Clearing throat) You guys DO realize that the Steelers were going to just cut him, right? The 5th rd pick was better than that. We do understand that, right? This is apples and oranges with Marshall...

Yeah i must agree here. At first I was furious we only got a 5th round pick for Holmes. but this was before i heard the whole story. The Steelers wanted nothing to do with Holmes any more and they were going to be willing to just cut him.

IMO though the Jets took advantage of this and still got a steal only giving up a 5th. I think the steelers still should have held back a little and asked for more however it seems like to me they were more worried about getting rid of him rather then what they would be getting for him

Oh well its over now and hes gone.

Steel_12
04-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't we have gotten a compensatory pick for Holmes had he left next year? If that's true, then why not use his talents for 12 games and make one more run at a title?

AllD
04-14-2010, 04:17 PM
There is no guarantee that Holmes will ever pass another drug screen. He may skate for a season, but he is the type that self-destructs. He is a carbon copy of Burress. Even though he is a great receiver, his participation may be unreliable in the future due to his track record. Then factor in a big contract that the Steelers were never going to pay.

Maybe we can use that 5th to draft the best kicker in the draft?

SteelersinCA
04-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah he had 21 catches in a game but his avg. was less than 10 yards per catch. It's still impressive but Santonio had more yards. Take away 13 catches from Marshall (I know it's pointless but he didn't have more than 8 catches in any other game) and he only has 9 more catches than Tone with less yards. Marshall is a beast fasho but Santonio is right there with him. Plus we had way more weapons on offense than Denver did.

And Ben throwing the ball vs Kyle Orton. Having more weapons means people gameplanned around stopping Marshall. I'd take Marshall any day over Holmes, and twice on Sunday.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't we have gotten a compensatory pick for Holmes had he left next year? If that's true, then why not use his talents for 12 games and make one more run at a title?

There might not be a draft next year. if there is no CBA, then I don't think there is a draft or compensation picks because I think that's all in the CBA.

Galax Steeler
04-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Marshall will for sure help the Dolphins out the question is his character issues.

revefsreleets
04-15-2010, 09:05 AM
The Steelers were done with Holmes.

Period.

A 5th round pick is worth a lot more then the original nothing they would have been fine with, because they were DONE with Holmes. Kaput. Over. Finished. No mas. No more.

Bitching about them not getting enough for him is borderline retarded, because they were basically just going to cut him and get nothing and the Steelers would have been PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH THAT.