PDA

View Full Version : what is ben worth?

delhess
04-14-2010, 03:43 PM
rumors are beginning to swirl that a draft day deal could be a possibility that would deal ben away, hopefully for a top qb pick. according to the rumor, management is still split on keeping ben vs. trading ben, but if a trade happens, it would take place on draft day. if this did happen (hypothetically) what do you think we could get for ben?

Nadroj 20
04-14-2010, 03:47 PM
What would we do trade away our franchise player to go get Sam Bradford? No.

I dont care what we could get for Ben because IMO nothing compares to having him as our QB.

tony hipchest
04-14-2010, 03:48 PM
ben > herchel walker

RoethlisBURGHer
04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
rumors are beginning to swirl that a draft day could be a possibility that would deal ben away, hopefully for a top qb pick. according to the rumor, management is still split on keeping ben vs. trading ben, but if a trade happens, it would take place on draft day. if this did happen (hypothetically) what do you think we could get for ben?

I don't think the Steelers are trading Ben Roethlisberger. How many years do we hear rumors that never happen?

However, if it were to happen, he's worth a top pick. He would command a top 7 pick in the draft. Either the Rams #1 overall or any of the picks 2-7. We'd be in position to take either Bradford with the Rams pick or Clausen with one of the 2-7 picks.

However, I don't think the Steelers brass want to start over with a new QB.

Ben is the only QB in the NFL that can have the success he has had behind our current offensive line.

Bradford had a shoulder injury last year that put him out for most of the season. Yeah, don't want that behind this line.

Clausen, he already has maturity concerns. I'd rather keep Big Ben who has already proven that he can play in the NFL and has two SB rings.

delhess
04-14-2010, 03:59 PM
don't misunderstand my question. i am not asking if you think roethlisberger is better than any top draft pic, or if you think he should be traded, or not. i am thinking along the lines of his value, possibly with a suspension coming down, etc. realistic terms of a draft trade.

pete74
04-14-2010, 03:59 PM
i would only trade him for the 1st pick this year and next. i would then trade the 1st pick in this years draft and pick up a 1st and 2nd. next season i would draft locker from washington and be set. ben is a great qb and is very hard to replace. it would be a tough loss if he left the team because there are not many qb's as good as him

Preacher
04-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Ok...

NO, THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN.

Now that I said that, to play your hypothetical game....

I think it should be a first rounder this year and next year, or maybe next year and the year after.

PLUS. A Big Bettis style back... because if we trade Ben, the ONLY hope we have for a good year this year is a bruising running style, and we need more than one back to sustain that all year and through the playoffs.

On top of all of that, I would want at least a third rounder this year or next AS WELL. Maybe a second instead.

AllD
04-14-2010, 04:22 PM
ben > herchel walker

That is on the $.

Draft a new OL and DL. Let Dixon take the snaps and hits. Draft a starting QB next season or a 2nd/3rd rounder this season.

Vincent
04-14-2010, 04:40 PM
ben > herchel walker

Herschel Walker = 3 cowfelon Lombardis

Ben to St Louis in a multiteam deal could have similar results.

Suh!! :danceshout: Suh!! :danceshout: Suh!! :danceshout: Suh!! :danceshout: Suh!! :danceshout:

I think it should be a first rounder this year and next year, or maybe next year and the year after.

PLUS. A Big Bettis style back... because if we trade Ben, the ONLY hope we have for a good year this year is a bruising running style, and we need more than one back to sustain that all year and through the playoffs.

Steven Jackson. http://www.nfl.com/players/stevenjackson/profile?id=JAC560875 Lightning strikes twice.

steelreserve
04-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Ben is the only QB in the NFL that can have the success he has had behind our current offensive line.

Will you people please stop saying that? You're making yourselves look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Half the QBs in the league would do just fine with our offensive line because they can make "veteran" moves, like recognizing the blitz ... or making adjustments to the defense ... or getting rid of the ball more quickly when necessary. Ben's style is to hold on to the ball and try to make plays downfield. At times, it makes him look like a master improviser. At other times, he plays QB like a guy chasing a bus.

No, there probably aren't any QBs out there who could duplicate his style, but you don't necessarily need to duplicate it to be successful. It'd be a different style of play and a different-looking offense, but I seriously doubt that all 31 other NFL quarterbacks would come in and say "OMG, I can't handle this! What do I DO?????"

Men of Steel
04-14-2010, 04:52 PM
BEN IS WORTH A 5TH ROUND PICK AT BEST!!! (holmes joke) :chuckle:

Ben IS WORTH ALLOT.
hmm lets see.. currently, no other qb has won more games as a starter in his first 5 yrs than him. that stands for something.

a first round pick this year and next year
or
first and second round pick this year and a second or third next year.
something along those lines.

dam we shoulda kept holmes for a lil longer to trade him for a higher pick.
(still sour) :banging:

Preacher
04-14-2010, 05:10 PM
ear and a second or third next year.
something along those lines.

dam we shoulda kept holmes for a lil longer to trade him for a higher pick.
(still sour) :banging:

I don't think you would have gotten a higher pick for a guy that can only play a max of 12 games this year, AND will be a FA at the end of the year.

However, I think it would have been interesting to dangling him as trade bait to move up in the first or second round a few spots.

Psyychoward86
04-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't think you would have gotten a higher pick for a guy that can only play a max of 12 games this year, AND will be a FA at the end of the year.

However, I think it would have been interesting to dangling him as trade bait to move up in the first or second round a few spots.

he's still an upper tier wide receiver who would've had gaudier stats if we didnt have so many weapons on our offense. Good hands, crisp routes, speed to go deep, excellent in the clutch. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah that's right....a 5th round pick :coffee:

pete74
04-14-2010, 05:51 PM

no way. if ben is suspended for the 1st 4 games would he only be worth a 5th round pick? no way. holmes was worth a 2nd just like marshall but we wanted to unload him quick and i understand that so im not going to complain.

steelreserve
04-14-2010, 06:18 PM
If Jay Cutler was worth two first-round picks even though he sucked before the trade and he still sucks, the logical extension is that Ben is worth four or five first-rounders. Of course nobody's that crazy, so it would probably top out at two first-rounders and a shitty QB, just like in the Cutler deal.

pete74
04-14-2010, 06:25 PM
i would trade ben for aaron rodgers

BlastFurnace
04-14-2010, 06:36 PM
If the Steelers do this, it will be the worst roster move in the history of the franchise.

All I know is that since the KC loss last year, this team has turned into a circus. Not sure why, but it has. I hope they don't add to it by trading Ben.

This is the first season since 1999 that I have a terrible feeling about the team before the season begins. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like the direction of the team.

Preacher
04-14-2010, 06:40 PM
he's still an upper tier wide receiver who would've had gaudier stats if we didnt have so many weapons on our offense. Good hands, crisp routes, speed to go deep, excellent in the clutch. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah that's right....a 5th round pick :coffee:

no way. if ben is suspended for the 1st 4 games would he only be worth a 5th round pick? no way. holmes was worth a 2nd just like marshall but we wanted to unload him quick and i understand that so im not going to complain.

But the market HAS spoken, and it said 5th round.

His off-field problems, coupled with his 4 game suspension, and including his FA at the end of the year, all determined his market. Do I understand it? No.

Maybe if it happened after the draft, when teams didn't get the players they wanted? It could have changed it.

However, I doubt they put Santo out and turned down 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for a 5th.

Preacher
04-14-2010, 06:42 PM
If the Steelers do this, it will be the worst roster move in the history of the franchise.

All I know is that since the KC loss last year, this team has turned into a circus. Not sure why, but it has. I hope they don't add to it by trading Ben.

This is the first season since 1999 that I have a terrible feeling about the team before the season begins. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like the direction of the team.

Which is why, in all reality, I want to see Ben suspended for 4 games. Show the entire team that no one is too big, and that EVERYONE had better get their BLEEEP together again.

BlastFurnace
04-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Which is why, in all reality, I want to see Ben suspended for 4 games. Show the entire team that no one is too big, and that EVERYONE had better get their BLEEEP together again.

I feel the exact same way. I don't want Ben gone. I just want the "Band of Brothers" back.

devilsdancefloor
04-14-2010, 06:55 PM
I feel the exact same way. I don't want Ben gone. I just want the "Band of Brothers" back.

AMEN!!!!!! i would like some unity back! i too have ab ad feeling about the upcoming season.

SteelerFanInStl
04-14-2010, 07:13 PM

So you think that he should be suspended the same amount of time as someone who has violated the NFL's substance abuse policy 3 times? That's excessive IMO. Anything more than 2 games is excessive.

stillers4me
04-14-2010, 07:16 PM
So you think that he should be suspended the same amount of time as someone who has violated the NFL's substance abuse policy 3 times? That's excessive IMO. Anything more than 2 games is excessive.

Yes, it is. And it should come from the Steelers, I have no problem with the league putting Ben into some kind of rehab program, but 2 games from the Steelers makes a statement that they have had enough of the shenanigans and he needs to stay home and take up scrapbooking or something.

delhess
04-14-2010, 07:45 PM
so in answer to my question, it seems you guys think he would bring somewhere between 5 first rounders, and 1 fifth round pick.:hatsoff: that clears it up.

seriously, i don't think anyone wants to see ben gone, but it seems a grim possibility, and i hope we don't have to find out what he is worth.

best case scenario of course, ben shapes up, serves a short suspension, and gets his head straight. then the players get behind him, and all is well.

i'm not so sure that's gonna happen either...

tony hipchest
04-14-2010, 08:28 PM
its a good topic delhess, especially if looking at it through the eyes of a GM or owner. the best starting point would probably be looking at what it cost the falcons and giants just to move up in the draft just to select eli and vick #1.

rams have already established bens value at well above the #1 pick in the draft. then again they were just fishing for the santonio holmes discount. they dont even want the #1 pick cause they know they could get the same player if they were drafting 5th in this years draft, and save a ton of money on an unknown.

spyboots
04-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Ever thought how you'd feel if you were Ben and a lynch mob was after you?

Preacher
04-15-2010, 02:01 AM

Oh, I don't know... In my book, a 50-50 chance of Ben forcing himself on two DIFFERENT woman is worse in my book than a 10 time substance abuse violation.

But think what you may.

pancake
04-15-2010, 03:01 AM
If we trade Ben, we might not see another Super Bowl this decade. If we keep him, we then have a shot every year.

pancake
04-15-2010, 03:04 AM
Oh, I don't know... In my book, a 50-50 chance of Ben forcing himself on two DIFFERENT woman is worse in my book than a 10 time substance abuse violation.

But think what you may.

So you think he is guilty on both accounts? I have no doubt he is innocent in the first one. Why would she e-mail friensd saying she is dating Ben if he raped her. Now this second time, is a little iffy to me also, but the DA just gave her side, so I haven't passed judgement on that one, yet...:noidea:

Preacher
04-15-2010, 03:15 AM
So you think he is guilty on both accounts? I have no doubt he is innocent in the first one. Why would she e-mail friensd saying she is dating Ben if he raped her. Now this second time, is a little iffy to me also, but the DA just gave her side, so I haven't passed judgement on that one, yet...:noidea:

No. Personally, I think he just thinks he is really suave, the woman probably feel somewhat pressured into it.

If this was the first time, then I would not be calling for his suspension. But it is his SECOND time in these circumstances. REGARDLESS of whether he did it or not. I want him (as I said in another thread) to be benched 4 games because he is threatening his career, and a 100 million dollar investment.

pancake
04-15-2010, 03:24 AM
No. Personally, I think he just thinks he is really suave, the woman probably feel somewhat pressured into it.

If this was the first time, then I would not be calling for his suspension. But it is his SECOND time in these circumstances. REGARDLESS of whether he did it or not. I want him (as I said in another thread) to be benched 4 games because he is threatening his career, and a 100 million dollar investment.

I'm with you, but say only 2 game.

Galax Steeler
04-15-2010, 03:30 AM
We would have to get atleast to first rounds picks for him. He is a proven quarterback I am not a saying we can't get another good quarterback in the draft but I hope we just hang on to Ben til he retires.

plenewken
04-15-2010, 07:58 AM
We would have to get atleast to first rounds picks for him. He is a proven quarterback I am not a saying we can't get another good quarterback in the draft but I hope we just hang on to Ben til he retires.

You should also hope that he doesn't get another concussion cause this could be the end of his career. Considering his style of play, I believe the probability for him to end his career prematurely is very high.
The Rooneys can't ignore this element.
Tough call indeed but two 1st rounders plus a top FB sounds fair.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 08:03 AM
i would only trade him for the 1st pick this year and next. i would then trade the 1st pick in this years draft and pick up a 1st and 2nd. next season i would draft locker from washington and be set. ben is a great qb and is very hard to replace. it would be a tough loss if he left the team because there are not many qb's as good as him

I agree If you look what they wanted for brandon marshall (which was 2 number ones) you have to figure his value would have to exceed that.

SteelerFanInStl
04-15-2010, 08:09 AM

But think what you may.

The FACT is that there's no proof that he forced himself on anyone. He will be punished based on FACT not opinion.

SteelerFanInStl
04-15-2010, 08:10 AM
IMO Ben is worth way more than the Steelers would ever get for him in a trade.

supa_fly_steeler
04-15-2010, 08:13 AM
I dont like him.

He is a disgrace to this organization.

DoubleSh0t
04-15-2010, 08:16 AM
So far, he is worth 2 Super Bowls. If we keep him, probably more. Let me know in your crystal ball which player in the draft is worth that and I'll gladly trade him away.

steelerchad
04-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Will you people please stop saying that? You're making yourselves look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Half the QBs in the league would do just fine with our offensive line because they can make "veteran" moves, like recognizing the blitz ... or making adjustments to the defense ... or getting rid of the ball more quickly when necessary. Ben's style is to hold on to the ball and try to make plays downfield. At times, it makes him look like a master improviser. At other times, he plays QB like a guy chasing a bus.

No, there probably aren't any QBs out there who could duplicate his style, but you don't necessarily need to duplicate it to be successful. It'd be a different style of play and a different-looking offense, but I seriously doubt that all 31 other NFL quarterbacks would come in and say "OMG, I can't handle this! What do I DO?????"

Agreed totally. Ben makes plays by moving around. That's his style and I'm willing to take the good with the bad. But did anyone watch us play the Ravens last year with Dixon. The Ravens may have had one of the better D's we played last year and Dixon wasn't running for his life. He had 2 scrambles for big gains (one called back on a penalty) and the rest of the time he was getting rid of the ball. His first NFL game and he did fine. If you're telling me no other starting NFL QB can play well behind the Steelers line, you're brainwashed.
By the way, there is no other QB I want other than Ben and I want him to stay in Pittsburgh. But there will be a day when he is gone and the Steelers will survive. They will have to adapt, but they will be fine. Aren't they always.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Agreed totally. Ben makes plays by moving around. That's his style and I'm willing to take the good with the bad. But did anyone watch us play the Ravens last year with Dixon. The Ravens may have had one of the better D's we played last year and Dixon wasn't running for his life. He had 2 scrambles for big gains (one called back on a penalty) and the rest of the time he was getting rid of the ball. His first NFL game and he did fine. If you're telling me no other starting NFL QB can play well behind the Steelers line, you're brainwashed.
By the way, there is no other QB I want other than Ben and I want him to stay in Pittsburgh. But there will be a day when he is gone and the Steelers will survive. They will have to adapt, but they will be fine. Aren't they always.

its not a matter of playing fine its a matter of being elite at the position which ben is. if we are suggesting that any qb we put back there is going to play at an elite level and put up 2 superbowls we are talking crazy. yes dennis dixon was not running for his life but lets be real if ben is the qb in that game we probably win. and what about all the years we didnt win superbowls with subpar qb's am i supposed to believe bubby brister was truly a star but because he didnt play behind this OL we didnt win superbowls. I understand that your saying if ben leaves the franchise will not collapse and i agree , but if your suggesting we are the same team without him i think you are wrong. :wave:

Godfather
04-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Two first rounders at a bare minimum, and I'd prefer to get more than that in a trade.

Only problem is finding another franchise QB. I don't see any can't miss prospects in the next two drafts.

atlsteelers
04-15-2010, 10:40 AM
IMO Ben is worth way more than the Steelers would ever get for him in a trade.

ben the football player is a truely gifted athlete and we would be hard pressed to get fair return for him in a trade. however, ben the person is not worth a bag of peanuts in a trade.

memphissteelergirl
04-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, it is. And it should come from the Steelers, I have no problem with the league putting Ben into some kind of rehab program, but 2 games from the Steelers makes a statement that they have had enough of the shenanigans and he needs to stay home and take up scrapbooking or something.

:chuckle::chuckle:

"scrapbooking"....yeah I can see Big Ben debating about which color of acid-free paper to use.

7SteelGal43
04-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Re: what is Ben worth?..........

..............keeping.

atlsteelers
04-15-2010, 03:50 PM
didn't somebody pour a beer on kordel its time that pig ben gets his turn....

Preacher
04-15-2010, 03:52 PM
ben the football player is a truely gifted athlete and we would be hard pressed to get fair return for him in a trade. however, ben the person is not worth a bag of peanuts in a trade.

Wow, right now, that is very much how I feel.

steelerdude15
04-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Ben shouldn't leave... he has never been charged.... if he was charged in either case, then yes that's a completely different story.

pete74
04-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Two first rounders at a bare minimum, and I'd prefer to get more than that in a trade.

Only problem is finding another franchise QB. I don't see any can't miss prospects in the next two drafts.

this draft no but next year there are 3 or 4 really good options

fansince'76
04-15-2010, 04:10 PM
:chuckle::chuckle:

"scrapbooking"....yeah I can see Big Ben debating about which color of acid-free paper to use.

You bitches take my picture! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

pete74
04-15-2010, 04:13 PM
he's worth more than any draft pick. you would have to offer me aaron rodgers for him. that's about it

i would trade ben for rodgers in a second

BIGWILL90
04-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Im sure a GOOD majority will want Ben back when the season starts or when he comes back from suspension if thats the case. He is a gifted athlete and a diamond in the ruff quarterback as far as on the field.

PhantomJB93
04-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Im not saying I WOULD do this if given the chance, but if we traded him to STL for their first and second round picks I might not complain...we could take Bradford at #1, Kyle Wilson at #18, and Golden Tate at #33, then trade up further in the second or just stay at #52 and address the Oline.

86WARD
04-15-2010, 05:35 PM
i would trade ben for aaron rodgers

I wouldn't do that at all...lol...BEN >>>>Rodgers.

Ben's worth way more than 2 first rounders. I don't think a team could come up with a package that would make me trade Ben. I'd rather gamble that he's got his shit straight than trade him this season...if he ****s up again, he's gone...I'm willing to take that gamble opposed to playing two seasons with Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon...

Don't give me Sam Bradford either...that's a joke. The Rams are nuts for considering him over Suh...

Suh is the closet to a sure thing in this draft...

Curtain_of_Steel
04-15-2010, 05:41 PM
First off, whatever QB we were to take in the draft better be able to take a hit and better shoulder the balme after from his swiss cheese oline.

Bradford NO, he may not make it out of the chalkboard room
The little guy from Texas: No, and he isnt a team player either
Claussen, good god please, no

I like Tebow but can Tebow get the job done? Jury out.

Therefore, I would want, this years number 1, next years number one, this years number 2. IF you had a gun to my head to make the trade.

However I dread the fact, they would even consider trading him. There is not another QB out there who carries the team like he does, carries the blame like he does, and spreads the accolades like he does. NOT one player in the league is like him. No one can dispute this. Tebow is closest to this.

So let me trade him, get haden with your top 12, get pouncey at 18, get another online on 2. Late round draft the WR and roomie from the gators to compliment Tebow.

whatdoiknow
04-15-2010, 05:47 PM
If I had to deal Ben, I would trade both he, and Willie Colon who recently signed his 1 year offer to San Fran for picks 13-79-113 in this draft, plus DB Shawntae Spencer, and a 1st and a 2nd round pick in 2011.

SF gets a Legit " Superstar " QB and a way better RT for their O-Line. And they still have their other 1st and their 2nd rounders in this draft to add talent. Steelers get another 1st & 3rd & 4th in this draft. A Local product in Spencer who went to Pitt. And a 1st & 2nd round draft pick in 2011.

But that is the MINIMUM I would take if I dealt Ben...which I don't even want to do.

pete74
04-15-2010, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't do that at all...lol...BEN >>>>Rodgers.

Ben's worth way more than 2 first rounders. I don't think a team could come up with a package that would make me trade Ben. I'd rather gamble that he's got his shit straight than trade him this season...if he ****s up again, he's gone...I'm willing to take that gamble opposed to playing two seasons with Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon...

Don't give me Sam Bradford either...that's a joke. The Rams are nuts for considering him over Suh...

Suh is the closet to a sure thing in this draft...

1st off i gurentee you they will trade ben if a good enough offer came in before the draft. its doubtful that it will but its possible. as for bradford, i wouldnt really want him but he does have one of the most acurate arms. i would rather draft a qb next year if we traded ben