PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rooney: Allegations against Roethlisberger a 'serious matter'

polamalubeast
04-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Dan Rooney: Allegations against Roethlisberger a 'serious matter'
Buzz up!By Mike Wereschagin, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Last updated: 6:45 pm

Steelers owner and U.S. Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney called the allegations of sexual misconduct against Ben Roethlisberger a "serious matter" but declined comment this evening on whether the organization stands behind its franchise quarterback.

Rooney, who helped craft an image of the Steelers as a team with working-class values whose players adhere to higher moral standards than is tolerated elsewhere, is receiving the Citizen of the Year Award from the AFL-CIO at its convention Downtown tonight.

He deflected questions about Roethlisberger, who was accused by a woman in Georgia of forcing her to have sex with him in a bar's bathroom. The district attorney in Milledgeville, Ga., announced Monday he would not prosecute Roethlisberger, saying the allegation couldn't be proven in court.

"My job is to be in Ireland," Rooney said. "I would just say that it's a serious matter and it's being handled properly by (Steelers ownership and management). I think they're handling it very well."

Asked if the organization supports Roethlisberger, Rooney said: "I'm not making any comment on that."

Rooney instead pointed to backup quarterback Charlie Batch, who joined Rooney for the award ceremony at the Westin Convention Center Hotel, as the type of person players should try to be.

"I think players have to be special. I think we have a special man right here with Charlie, as far as what he does, what his foundation does for children in this community. I think that that's the way they should be," Rooney said.

Batch declined comment on the allegations against Roethlisberger.

"Everybody makes mistakes, but I don't even want to talk about that," Rooney said.

Rdp616
04-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I think we've had enough threads about Ben already. :coffee:

steelerdude15
04-14-2010, 06:54 PM
I will say this... with the age that Mr. Rooney is, I wonder that with his job in Ireland and with things happening, if its to much stress for him.

Rdp616
04-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I will say this... with the age that Mr. Rooney is, I wonder that with his job in Ireland and with things happening, if its to much stress for him.

I don't think he's really worried about it, that's why he didn't want too comment on it.

Preacher
04-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I think his silence on the matter is deafening myself. Especially when he then points to Batch as an example.

But I have to agree with the other poster... this probably could have found its way into one of the 30 other Ben threads.

stillers4me
04-14-2010, 07:08 PM
I think his silence on the matter is deafening myself. Especially when he then points to Batch as an example.

But I have to agree with the other poster... this probably could have found its way into one of the 30 other Ben threads.

I think Dan just wanted to change a negative subject into a positive one.

Preacher
04-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I think Dan just wanted to change a negative subject into a positive one.

Either Mr. Rooney is so far gone that he shouldn't be an ambassador,

or he knows better than to present the OTHER QB as the standard by which you should act, when ASKED about the first QB.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Geez who do I want as QB and good boy like Batch who is a community type guy, or a proven winner who has never been convicted of anything other than being stupid off the field? Last I checked that is not a crime.
As far as buying an underage girl a drink? Did he know she was 21? She was probably drunk before hand, and did Ben really buy her a drink or was it one of his guys there? Again the DA couldn't tell anything. therefore, innocent a cross the board. Like he was never there.

Also I will add, he is heavily involved in charity stuff as well, just apparently not kissing old man rooneys ass, lol

Hopefully they give him community service, as suspending him does nothing imo but hurt the fans. They can think that dixon is the 2nd coming of BB, lol

Prok
04-14-2010, 09:19 PM
I think we've had enough threads about Ben already. :coffee:

Totally freakin' agree. I can't believe other STEELERS MB's are letting "worthlessberger" threads stay.

Watch, these holier than thou fans are gonna end up forcing Rooney's hand into a trade. We're gonna end up watching Ben learn from his mistakes helping another team win games and contend. I hate to say it, but this bullshit has really gone that far and not gonna end.

We ALL have done things and WILL do things we regret in life. HELLOOOOOOOOOO we are the SAME as any other fanbase and football team. GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES AND STOP VILLIFYING THE QB YA F'N HOLIER THAN THOU JACKASSES !!!

:banging::banging:

Dodt
04-14-2010, 09:34 PM
agree with you there prok.

SteelCityMom
04-14-2010, 09:35 PM
I don't think Rooney is senile or stressed or deflecting, I think he's just saying that he's putting his faith into his son to make the right decision on the matter. He's passed that responsibility onto him, and it's no longer Dan Rooney's place to make statements about the decisions his son, or any of the other owners or FO make on the matter.

Prok
04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Mods: Could you put all these Ben threads together in another forum on this site? I will GLADLY stay out of that and stick to STEELERS ONLY. Some of us ARE getting reallllllllllly tired of the Ben bashing going on. This is literally tearing this fanbase apart imo and is no longer productive discussion.

PLEASE ??

:drink:

Gnutella
04-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Totally freakin' agree. I can't believe other STEELERS MB's are letting "worthlessberger" threads stay.

Watch, these holier than thou fans are gonna end up forcing Rooney's hand into a trade. We're gonna end up watching Ben learn from his mistakes helping another team win games and contend. I hate to say it, but this bullshit has really gone that far and not gonna end.

We ALL have done things and WILL do things we regret in life. HELLOOOOOOOOOO we are the SAME as any other fanbase and football team. GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES AND STOP VILLIFYING THE QB YA F'N HOLIER THAN THOU JACKASSES !!!

:banging::banging:

If the Rooneys trade Roethlisberger just to appease a bunch of shithead fans, then I will lose a lot of respect for them.

Prok
04-14-2010, 09:53 PM
If the Rooneys trade Roethlisberger just to appease a bunch of shithead fans, then I will lose a lot of respect for them.

Mark my words. This bullshit holier than thou Ben bashing bashing keeps up i'd bet the Rooneys trade him just to shut em' the F up.

polamalubeast
04-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Goodell: Decision on Roethlisberger in near future
April 14, 2010

PITTSBURGH (AP) - NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says he will decide soon whether to punish Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for his off-the-field troubles.

"I think he understands how important the personal-conduct policy is to the NFL," Goodell said while attending a dinner honoring Steelers chairman Dan Rooney on Wednesday night. "And I hope he has a better understanding of how important it is for everybody in the league.

"We'll continue to gather more information. We'll continue to have that analysis done and we'll consider it and make a decision in the near future. We like to be thorough. We like to be sure we fully understand it. We've talked to, obviously, the player. We'll talk to the players association. I think anytime you can get more input into the various factors that are going on, the better decision you'll make."

Goodell and Roethlisberger met for several hours Tuesday in New York, one day after Roethlisberger learned he would not be charged for the alleged sexual assault of a Georgia college student.

While Roethlisberger faces no criminal charges, he remains involved in a Nevada civil suit that alleges he sexually assaulted a hotel employee there. The NFL could punish the two-time Super Bowl winner under its code of conduct.

Rooney, the U.S. ambassador to Ireland and longtime Steelers executive, called it "a serious matter" but had little to say about Roethlisberger. His son, team president Art Rooney II, is known to be angry about the quarterback's repeated problems.

"It's being handled properly with Art, Mike (Tomlin, the coach) and Kevin Colbert (the Steelers director of football operations)," Rooney said. "I think they're handling it very well. The commissioner, as you know, saw Ben. I don't have any more to say."

tony hipchest
04-14-2010, 10:03 PM

i totally agree. even rumors and false allegations of kordell doing the mcnulty in a park werent as embarrassing to the franchise as this has been.

But I have to agree with the other poster... this probably could have found its way into one of the 30 other Ben threads

again... :iagree:

"ben ben ben ben ben ben ben..."

and the beat goes on. :popcorn:

tube517
04-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Is it draft day yet?