PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone else really consider...

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 12:31 AM
being done as a Steeler fan if they trade Roethlisberger? I've grown to be such a Big Ben fan over the past 6 years that if the Steelers trade Ben just because of the ACCUSATIONS against him where he hasn't even been charged criminally, that I would seriously consider calling it quits on the Steelers.

The backlash towards this guy by some of you so called fans makes me sick. Do we forget what this guy has done for the city and team? I mean 2 frigging SB's and you want to turn your back on him because of a couple personal issues? Not one of you that are calling for Ben's head would give up those 2 SB's to have a QB with a squeaky clean rap sheet and not win anything. We damn sure do not win those SB's with another QB (one that would be a realistic option for the Steelers) and I am confident in saying that.

The guy is not a teacher, politician, etc....he's a damn football player, one of the best in the league. I don't watch football every Sunday because the players have great values...hell there wouldn't even be a league if that was the reason people watched. In no way were Ben's actions acceptable, but do we really want to become a sub par team because of it and get rid of the guy? Because that's what we would become and I am not willing to be a part of that if the Steelers trade the guy based only on these personal issues. I will boycott the Steelers and jump on the bandwagon of whatever team Ben is traded too...and this is coming from a long time Steeler fan well before Ben was in the picture. I will not support this team with Dennis Dixon as the QB and have another possible 25 year drought of a title waiting for the next franchise QB.

Sorry had to have a little rant...anyone out there share the same thoughts as me?

Gnutella
04-15-2010, 12:36 AM
No. I won't quit on the team the way other fans have quit on a player.

tony hipchest
04-15-2010, 12:41 AM
no.

dallas and the giants can be proud of their crackhead HOF'ers such as LT or m. irvin, but for some reason the steelerfans just dont roll like that.

steelers could be like the rams or lions and i would still be just as die hard.

its all about that black and gold, baby. :tt02:

"steelers born and steelers bred, and when i die, im steelers dead."

Stu Pidasso
04-15-2010, 01:23 AM
JSH, if you're not 100% committed right now to the team (NOT A PLAYER) then turn in your card, and don't let the door hit you. We don't do fair weather fans like other teams do. Buh-bye!

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 01:47 AM
JSH, if you're not 100% committed right now to the team (NOT A PLAYER) then turn in your card, and don't let the door hit you. We don't do fair weather fans like other teams do. Buh-bye!

Of course this is the typical response I knew that I'd get. But after everything Ben has done for this team, you wouldn't be offended as a fan if he was let go solely because of these incidents where he has not been charged criminally? I think the Rooney's need to get off their high horse and realize that in this day in age the Steeler organization isn't going to be able to field a team filled with choir boys if they want to win. I would just take this as an ultimate slap in the face as a fan of both the Steelers and Ben that the Rooney's only care about the reputation of their name and that's it. The Holmes trade was bad enough...but if Ben goes...that is where I draw the line.

The Duke
04-15-2010, 01:53 AM
I don't root for the steelers because of the players, I root for them because of the team

I like ben, but if he leaves I won't cry a single tear

Preacher
04-15-2010, 02:19 AM
Of course this is the typical response I knew that I'd get. But after everything Ben has done for this team, you wouldn't be offended as a fan if he was let go solely because of these incidents where he has not been charged criminally? I think the Rooney's need to get off their high horse and realize that in this day in age the Steeler organization isn't going to be able to field a team filled with choir boys if they want to win. I would just take this as an ultimate slap in the face as a fan of both the Steelers and Ben that the Rooney's only care about the reputation of their name and that's it. The Holmes trade was bad enough...but if Ben goes...that is where I draw the line.

I love how people are reducing these charges to the level of peeing on the sidewalk.

TWICE HE HAS BEEN ACCUSED OF BEING A FREAKEN SEXUAL PREDATOR.

But the ROONEY's need to get off their high-horse.

Ok. Sure, right. :coffee:

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 02:36 AM
I love how people are reducing these charges to the level of peeing on the sidewalk.

TWICE HE HAS BEEN ACCUSED OF BEING A FREAKEN SEXUAL PREDATOR.

But the ROONEY's need to get off their high-horse.

Ok. Sure, right. :coffee:

Again, key word ACCUSED. The first chick has already been proven to be full of it...going around bragging, saying she hoped Ben impregnated her. And now this next chick was piss drunk, who knows what really happened. The only thing we do know is Ben is a pervert, that's about it. But hey let's get rid of our franchise QB that led us to 2 SB's and begin the second coming of the Kordell Stewart era with Dennis Dixon because Ben is a perv and hasn't been charged with any crime. Sure, right.

Preacher
04-15-2010, 03:10 AM
Again, key word ACCUSED.

Yep. Accused. And what he is accused of, is much much worse that what people are making it out to be.

The first chick has already been proven to be full of it...going around bragging, saying she hoped Ben impregnated her May I suggest you educate yourself about Rape Trauma. http://www.womensweb.ca/violence/rape/trauma.php Sounds quite like denial does it not?

And now this next chick was piss drunk, Which is reason number 1 to walk away from her. In some places, that ALONE constitutes rape- England is actually considering that as a federal law. There are a few states that are as well.

who knows what really happened. The only thing we do know is Ben is a pervert, that's about it.
Nope. We know that he puts himself in horrible situations that hurt him and the reputation of the team. If it was all consensual, then I wouldn't even call him a pervert.

But hey let's get rid of our franchise QB that led us to 2 SB's and begin the second coming of the Kordell Stewart era with Dennis Dixon because Ben is a perv and hasn't been charged with any crime. Sure, right.

Never said to get rid of him. Only that I am tired of people treating the accusations like they are the equivalent of peeing on the sidewalk.

Now, tell me this. If it was Ray Lewis that was accused twice and a third act was investigated by a PI, would you be saying the same thing?

Galax Steeler
04-15-2010, 03:43 AM
I would not quit pulling for the Steelers I have pulled for them for as long as I can remember. Just because they get rid of a quarterback is not going to change the way I fell about the team.

pete74
04-15-2010, 04:34 AM
no way. i have seen alot of players come and go in my years. some i agreed with while others i didnt. there is no way i could ever be as mad as i was the day we got rid of woodson. im a steeler fan for life. its the team i love and there isnt a single player above that. if they trade ben for a 1st round pick today i would be upset about what we got for him but you can bet your ass i would still be at that 1st regular season game

Buzz05
04-15-2010, 06:05 AM
I don't post much any more. But I will say this. If you turn your back on the Steelers for trading Ben. Then you were never a true fan to begin with. The team is bigger then one player. The legacy of the Steelers, The Chief, and everything this team stands for is much bigger then one player. You may as well root for the Bengals if you turn your back on the Steelers because of the loss of one player. Ben or no Ben. Black and Gold till I die.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-15-2010, 06:25 AM
While I am a huge Big Ben fan and have been since his college days, if the Steelers felt that they had to trade or even outright release him, I would be fine with it. I would prefer we keep him for the time being, but there are a lot of things to factor into the decision.

1. No salary cap this year. If there was ever a time to cut a player who is in just his second season of a $102M contract, it would be now. There is the chance that the salary cap can be put back in place in the next CBA, and if so that would make it impossible to cut him.

2. Do the Rooneys honestly believe that Ben is only guilty of bad judgment and poor decision making? If they think he is a serial rapist, or even that McNulty is a lying nutcase but believe the Georgia girl's story....they won't keep him around.

3. Do they feel that he might be accused again? If he is accused again; a serious, credible accusation, there is no doubt that Ben would be suspended for a season at worst if not found guilty....and if found guilty, do multiple years in jail. Do they want to take that chance?

4. Maybe they see that there is too much of a criminal element not just on the Steelers, but in the entire NFL it's self....so Dan and Art Rooney, being the owners of the most prominent team in football....decide to set an example for the entire League to follow but cutting Ben Roethlisberger. It would send a clear message to all players in the NFL, in college, and in high school that behavior like that of Ben Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes gets you shipped out of town.

5. Maybe Mike Tomlin wants to start with a clean slate here. He inherited some players that have ended up in the papers for all the wrong reasons and he wants to start sort of from scratch and mold the team into his own. I could see Art and Dan Rooney letting him do so, and therefore getting rid of Roethlisberger who is to date the biggest problem on the team.

As long as there are no more credible accusations coming at Ben (and I say that because I wouldn't be shocked if people actually tried to falsely accuse Ben of rape after this), I see him at the least finishing his contract as long as his play warrants it. But anything else from being charged with drunk in public to sexual assault will have him jettisoned from the Steelers faster than the Raiders fall from the elite.

steelballs
04-15-2010, 07:22 AM
I would not quit pulling for the Steelers I have pulled for them for as long as I can remember. Just because they get rid of a quarterback is not going to change the way I fell about the team.

Ditto...that pretty much sums it up right there.

steeltheone
04-15-2010, 07:52 AM
No player is bigger than the team!

fansince'76
04-15-2010, 07:57 AM
I was a Steelers fan for almost 30 years before Ben arrived and I'll remain one after he's gone.

plenewken
04-15-2010, 08:03 AM
While I am a huge Big Ben fan and have been since his college days, if the Steelers felt that they had to trade or even outright release him, I would be fine with it. I would prefer we keep him for the time being, but there are a lot of things to factor into the decision.

1. No salary cap this year. If there was ever a time to cut a player who is in just his second season of a $102M contract, it would be now. There is the chance that the salary cap can be put back in place in the next CBA, and if so that would make it impossible to cut him.

2. Do the Rooneys honestly believe that Ben is only guilty of bad judgment and poor decision making? If they think he is a serial rapist, or even that McNulty is a lying nutcase but believe the Georgia girl's story....they won't keep him around.

3. Do they feel that he might be accused again? If he is accused again; a serious, credible accusation, there is no doubt that Ben would be suspended for a season at worst if not found guilty....and if found guilty, do multiple years in jail. Do they want to take that chance?

4. Maybe they see that there is too much of a criminal element not just on the Steelers, but in the entire NFL it's self....so Dan and Art Rooney, being the owners of the most prominent team in football....decide to set an example for the entire League to follow but cutting Ben Roethlisberger. It would send a clear message to all players in the NFL, in college, and in high school that behavior like that of Ben Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes gets you shipped out of town.

5. Maybe Mike Tomlin wants to start with a clean slate here. He inherited some players that have ended up in the papers for all the wrong reasons and he wants to start sort of from scratch and mold the team into his own. I could see Art and Dan Rooney letting him do so, and therefore getting rid of Roethlisberger who is to date the biggest problem on the team.

As long as there are no more credible accusations coming at Ben (and I say that because I wouldn't be shocked if people actually tried to falsely accuse Ben of rape after this), I see him at the least finishing his contract as long as his play warrants it. But anything else from being charged with drunk in public to sexual assault will have him jettisoned from the Steelers faster than the Raiders fall from the elite.

Very good points. I would add the fact that Ben could just be 1 more concussion away from being forced into retirement. Knowing Ben's style of play, the odds are pretty high.
The Rooneys know it and can't overlook this aspect.

And to respond to the OP, several said it already, no player is bigger than the team

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Yep. Accused. And what he is accused of, is much much worse that what people are making it out to be.
May I suggest you educate yourself about Rape Trauma. http://www.womensweb.ca/violence/rape/trauma.php Sounds quite like denial does it not?

Which is reason number 1 to walk away from her. In some places, that ALONE constitutes rape- England is actually considering that as a federal law. There are a few states that are as well.

Nope. We know that he puts himself in horrible situations that hurt him and the reputation of the team. If it was all consensual, then I wouldn't even call him a pervert.

Never said to get rid of him. Only that I am tired of people treating the accusations like they are the equivalent of peeing on the sidewalk.

Now, tell me this. If it was Ray Lewis that was accused twice and a third act was investigated by a PI, would you be saying the same thing?

Sexual assualt is a serious charge the only problem is there is a difference betwwen being accused and being convicted. Nobody here is saying sexual assualt is not serious but the guy was not convicted of sexual assualt in fact he was not convicted of anything. If someone accuses you of murder and your found not guilty is it fair that your considered a murder . No being accused does not equal guilt.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 08:26 AM

A few problems with this is there is no way they are cutting him becuase if you cut him you still have to pay him so the salary cap doesnt matter. If hes cut he can sign with another team but the steelers are still obligated to pay his contract. The only way to do it is to trade and another team will pick up his remaining contract. Throwing away a franchise qb and finacially strapping the organization to save some face with media is not the way to go.

4xSBChamps
04-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Would anyone else really consider... being done as a Steeler fan if they trade Roethlisberger?

I don't post much any more.

neither do I... I haven't posted in probably 3 months... this place became fractured over the Arians-deal, with name-calling and and what appeared to be favoritism being displayed by those in-charge:
that's their prerogative, and me not-contributing is MY prerogative.
:wink02:

regardless of if and how the League reprimands Thoughtlessberger (I realize that's name-calling, but the guy has earned it), the Steelers organization themselves should hand-out an equal, or more severe penalty:
if the League decides a 4 (or 8) game suspension for violation of the 'conduct-policy', I'd like the Steelers to give him an additional 4 (or 8) games, to begin at the conclusion of the League's 4 (or 8) game ban

(the question remains ~ even-if serving a double-suspension, and getting his pee-pee whacked publicly by his-own team, will the guy get-it through his head that, as Bradshaw has stated, 'he must change his ways' , or will he think he is above it all?)

If the Steeler organization is going to whistle past the graveyard on this ("my job is in Ireland"), that is their choice, and their prerogative, but it marks the end of an era, a time when Steeler fans could proudly look fans of other teams in the eye, and say "we don't do things that-way in the Steeler Nation"

I'm not proposing that the guy gets cut or traded, but if the Rooneys decide to do-so, it'll be because their name has been smeared, and/or they believe he is a lost-cause, beyond hope and help:
he will have brought it onto himself

He has had a tremendous first few seasons in the League, winning 2 Lombardi Trophies in 6 years, and, even-with his baggage, at age 28, he probably has another 10 seasons of productive play ahead of him, IF he decides to mature:
if he never-again wins a Super Bowl, it'll be as-much because of his inability, or unwillingness, to grow-up, as it will be because of poor Offensive Line play, stupid play-calling, bad-breaks, injuries, or teammates who drop passes

As-much-as it would hurt the on-field product, and decrease the team's chances of winning a Championship in the near future by having him no-longer dressed in Black & Gold, I'd still be proud to be called 'a Stiller-fan' if he is let-go, possibly prouder:
as it is now, I gotta real hard-time wearing my Steeler gear in-public...

W-d-F do I know... I've only been following this team & franchise for 43 seasons...

Vincent
04-15-2010, 08:40 AM
I grew up listening to my Dad talking about Ernie Stautner, Big Daddy, and John Henry. Its the team. The Pittsburgh Steelers. And it doesn't matter who is in those uniforms, I root for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Players come and players go.

I was ecstatic when we drafted Ben, and have been a fan since. Many posts to that effect. His first 5 years were historic. Period. And I've said many times that he's the only QB I'd want. Peyton chokes. Brady swallows.

But Ben apparently has a dark side that has slipped out more than a few times in college and here in Pittsburgh. While some of his reported behavior is unacceptable on any level, it has to this point been largely anecdotal in terms of its effect on the city and team.

Dark Ben scarred the hell out of us with the emergence of the Nevada story last summer. Now, less than a year later, Dark Ben hits the town in his satan jersey demanding that "bitches take his shots". Everybody wants to explain this away as dumb jock conquistador behavior and STFU, he's our franchise quarterback. If it were isolated behavior, one could chalk it up to the Patron talking.

Apparently, nobody seems to know what happened that night to the extent that the DA can press charges. Steeler Nation welcomes their franchise quarterback back under the aegis that it was all "accusations". "He didn't commit a crime".

Somebody defiled somebody's 20 year old daughter. Somebody helped her into a drunken stupor and took advantage of her. Somebody violated her and injured her.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5079655

A doctor who examined her at a nearby emergency room found a cut, bruises and vaginal bleeding but could not say if she was raped. And while some DNA was found, there was not enough to determine whom it belonged to, Bright said.

Yes, she was shitfaced. No, she shouldn't have been there. Neither should the franchise quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Something very bad happened that night that will remain mere accusations. But what I saw in Ben at his mia culpa PC was not a contrite young man, or someone that was cognizant of what he had dumped on his family, his team, and this city. I saw a half assed "lets get this bullshit over with. OK, are we done?" performance by someone whose dark side has now overtaken him.

I don't respect him. I would rather he be gone. I will continue to root for the Pittsburgh, regardless of who's in those unis. But Ben is an unrepentant dark individual that, as long as he is here, will cast his dark pall.

If they keep him, I will look forward to the day he retires. If they trade him, I will embrace the picks as new Steelers and move along.

Ben, take your own shots, asshole.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 08:57 AM
neither do I... I haven't posted in probably 3 months... this place became fractured over the Arians-deal, with name-calling and and what appeared to be favoritism being displayed by those in-charge:
that's their prerogative, and me not-contributing is MY prerogative.
:wink02:

regardless of if and how the League reprimands Thoughtlessberger (I realize that's name-calling, but the guy has earned it), the Steelers organization themselves should hand-out an equal, or more severe penalty:
if the League decides a 4 (or 8) game suspension for violation of the 'conduct-policy', I'd like the Steelers to give him an additional 4 (or 8) games, to begin at the conclusion of the League's 4 (or 8) game ban

(the question remains ~ even-if serving a double-suspension, and getting his pee-pee whacked publicly by his-own team, will the guy get-it through his head that, as Bradshaw has stated, 'he must change his ways' , or will he think he is above it all?)

If the Steeler organization is going to whistle past the graveyard on this ("my job is in Ireland"), that is their choice, and their prerogative, but it marks the end of an era, a time when Steeler fans could proudly look fans of other teams in the eye, and say "we don't do things that-way in the Steeler Nation"

I'm not proposing that the guy gets cut or traded, but if the Rooneys decide to do-so, it'll be because their name has been smeared, and/or they believe he is a lost-cause, beyond hope and help:
he will have brought it onto himself

He has had a tremendous first few seasons in the League, winning 2 Lombardi Trophies in 6 years, and, even-with his baggage, at age 28, he probably has another 10 seasons of productive play ahead of him, IF he decides to mature:
if he never-again wins a Super Bowl, it'll be as-much because of his inability, or unwillingness, to grow-up, as it will be because of poor Offensive Line play, stupid play-calling, bad-breaks, injuries, or teammates who drop passes

As-much-as it would hurt the on-field product, and decrease the team's chances of winning a Championship in the near future by having him no-longer dressed in Black & Gold, I'd still be proud to be called 'a Stiller-fan' if he is let-go, possibly prouder:
as it is now, I gotta real hard-time wearing my Steeler gear in-public...

W-d-F do I know... I've only been following this team & franchise for 43 seasons...

You'd be ok with him being suspended for 16 games? You do realize there are people in the league who have killed people and have gotten the same suspension or less. If hes not suspended i will still be proud to wave my towel and cheer for my team. I still wear my ben jersey and wear it proud. You have a guy who made a bad decision and your ready to bail on him, a guy who has done alot for the franchise and the city. No crimes commited No arrests ,so as far as i can see hes a young guy with a ton of money who put himself in a questionable situation and your calling for a season long suspension equal to or more than players who have been arrested and convicted of crimes. Im not ready to set our franchise back a season so you can feel better about putting on steelers colors you should feel good about decades of success instead of hiding the fact your fan over one offseason. :tt04: :tt02: :tt: :tt03:

plenewken
04-15-2010, 09:00 AM
.................... But what I saw in Ben at his mia culpa PC was not a contrite young man, or someone that was cognizant of what he had dumped on his family, his team, and this city. I saw a half assed "lets get this bullshit over with. OK, are we done?" performance by someone whose dark side has now overtaken him.

I don't respect him. I would rather he be gone. I will continue to root for the Pittsburgh, regardless of who's in those unis. But Ben is an unrepentant dark individual that, as long as he is here, will cast his dark pall.

If they keep him, I will look forward to the day he retires. If they trade him, I will embrace the picks as new Steelers and move along.

Great comment. Pretty much sums it up for me too.
His public statement was the last straw as far as I'm concerned. I can live with him as our QB but as a man, I wouldn't mind if he was gone.

Shoes
04-15-2010, 09:10 AM
I grew up listening to my Dad talking about Ernie Stautner, Big Daddy, and John Henry. Its the team. The Pittsburgh Steelers. And it doesn't matter who is in those uniforms, I root for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Players come and players go.

I was ecstatic when we drafted Ben, and have been a fan since. Many posts to that effect. His first 5 years were historic. Period. And I've said many times that he's the only QB I'd want. Peyton chokes. Brady swallows.

But Ben apparently has a dark side that has slipped out more than a few times in college and here in Pittsburgh. While some of his reported behavior is unacceptable on any level, it has to this point been largely anecdotal in terms of its effect on the city and team.

Dark Ben scarred the hell out of us with the emergence of the Nevada story last summer. Now, less than a year later, Dark Ben hits the town in his satan jersey demanding that "bitches take his shots". Everybody wants to explain this away as dumb jock conquistador behavior and STFU, he's our franchise quarterback. If it were isolated behavior, one could chalk it up to the Patron talking.

Apparently, nobody seems to know what happened that night to the extent that the DA can press charges. Steeler Nation welcomes their franchise quarterback back under the aegis that it was all "accusations". "He didn't commit a crime".

Somebody defiled somebody's 20 year old daughter. Somebody helped her into a drunken stupor and took advantage of her. Somebody violated her and injured her.

A doctor who examined her at a nearby emergency room found a cut, bruises and vaginal bleeding but could not say if she was raped. And while some DNA was found, there was not enough to determine whom it belonged to, Bright said.

Yes, she was shitfaced. No, she shouldn't have been there. Neither should the franchise quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Something very bad happened that night that will remain mere accusations. But what I saw in Ben at his mia culpa PC was not a contrite young man, or someone that was cognizant of what he had dumped on his family, his team, and this city. I saw a half assed "lets get this bullshit over with. OK, are we done?" performance by someone whose dark side has now overtaken him.

Good post Vincent .

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 09:12 AM

Im tired of listening to this crap If a girl gets drunk and does something she might regret later oh well shes an adult and should take responsibilty for her actions . As far as bruising and vaginal bleeding not being able to tell if she was raped, because its normal how do you think hiv is spread . When women have sex especially if they are a small frame and the man has a large penis bruising and tearing is normal thats why a medical doctor could not find evidence of a rape. Its not like she walked into the hospital with blood running down her legs. People keep highlighting that quote like it proves something. why dont you highlight the quote about her not knowing if she had sex or the fact she was hammered drunk. Maybe she should take some responsiblity for chasing celebrities between bars which she had a fake id to get in, and getting bombed on shots . No on made her take those shots so no i do not buy the he took advantage of her argument. Is there anything anywhere thats states that ben knew her age no there is not its not his job to id people.

LukesDad88
04-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Can the team even play for him, now? Is Hines willing to go across the middle, knowing he's going to take a hit just to catch a ball from this guy? Is Kemoeatu ready to work his @ss off to protect Ben? Or are they just as ready to take a swing at the guy in practice?

At this point, can he lead the team, and does the team trust in him?

Vincent
04-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Im tired of listening to this crap If a girl gets drunk and does something she might regret later oh well shes an adult and should take responsibilty for her actions . As far as bruising and vaginal bleeding not being able to tell if she was raped, because its normal how do you think hiv is spread . When women have sex especially if they are a small frame and the man has a large penis bruising and tearing is normal thats why a medical doctor could not find evidence of a rape. Its not like she walked into the hospital with blood running down her legs. People keep highlighting that quote like it proves something. why dont you highlight the quote about her not knowing if she had sex or the fact she was hammered drunk. Maybe she should take some responsiblity for chasing celebrities between bars which she had a fake id to get in, and getting bombed on shots . No on made her take those shots so no i do not buy the he took advantage of her argument. Is there anything anywhere thats states that ben knew her age no there is not its not his job to id people.

Thank you Sven the Viking.

Cinnjerm
04-15-2010, 09:21 AM
I can see why you would feel that way, but for me personally the only reason I'm a fan of Ben's is because he QBs for the Steelers. I mean, what good sense does that make to stop being a fan of a team once a particular player is gone. That would seem to indicate you were never really a fan of the team in the first place and only a fan of the player. Besides, I know you'd be feeling awful stupid when the FO makes another terrific QB assessment and drafts a guy even better than Ben and the Steelers start beasting again.

Vincent
04-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Can the team even play for him, now? Is Hines willing to go across the middle, knowing he's going to take a hit just to catch a ball from this guy? Is Kemoeatu ready to work his @ss off to protect Ben? Or are they just as ready to take a swing at the guy in practice?

All valid questions. Chemistry is an elusive and fragile commodity.

Another factor comes to mind. We all know what "they" "do" to rapists in prison. Will defensive players go after Dark Ben with a little "extra"?

BlastFurnace
04-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Sexual assualt is a serious charge the only problem is there is a difference betwwen being accused and being convicted. Nobody here is saying sexual assualt is not serious but the guy was not convicted of sexual assualt in fact he was not convicted of anything. If someone accuses you of murder and your found not guilty is it fair that your considered a murder . No being accused does not equal guilt.

It does for O.J.

You can be guilty of something and squeek through the legal process. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

BlastFurnace
04-15-2010, 09:48 AM
As for the original question....I pull for the laundry, not the player.

I don't want Ben gone, but there is definitely something wrong with our team on the field and off the field.

fansince'76
04-15-2010, 09:56 AM
It does for O.J.

You can be guilty of something and squeek through the legal process. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

How often does it happen that the supposedly guilty party isn't even charged?

"Innocent until proven guilty." Right. More like "Guilty until proven innocent, and then still guilty if the media implies it."

BlastFurnace
04-15-2010, 10:02 AM
How often does it happen that the supposedly guilty party isn't even charged?

I'm not sure. I don't know if Ben is guilty. What I do know is that I will cheer for any player as long as they wear the Steelers uniform.

Steelers>NFL
04-15-2010, 10:03 AM
The Steelers owe Ben nothing. They are his employer. He is an employee.
Ben gets paid very well to do his job. If he does it well, great! If not, goodbye!
Along with his job come responsiblities. If he can not handle his responsiblities,
then they will let him go via cut or trade. And if this were to happen, oh well.
Ben (employee) is NOT bigger than the franchise (employer).
So no, I would never drop my love for the Steelers. They know what is best interest
for the franchise. Not "we the people" outside looking in.

SteelGhost
04-15-2010, 10:05 AM

I expect nothing changes in practice and games, they are pros and get a nice chunk of money to play for the TEAM. The locker room will be very cold for quite some time, you can bet, but once BB get his act together and start winning games everything's going to change, this board included :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
04-15-2010, 10:06 AM
"Innocent until proven guilty." Right. More like "Guilty until proven innocent, and then still guilty if the media implies it."

I agree with this completely. The media plays judge and jury too often.

I know that Ben's image has taken a beating, but so did James Harrison's two years ago....but when he was running back that INT on 2/1/2009....we were all up and cheering for him to score. It will be the same with Ben.

I don't really care for either of these two men, but I will cheer for the uniform they wear.

vasteeler
04-15-2010, 10:15 AM

:applaudit:

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Thank you Sven the Viking.

I know how silly of me to think women have brains and can make decisions. :noidea:

Indo
04-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Black and Gold 'til I'm Dead and Cold!

No player is above the team.

I'm not gonna get into the "Guilty";"Not Guilty"; "Something did or didn't happen"

I think the Rooneys will keep Ben around (with maybe one or two game suspension----"Clean your OWN House, don't depend on the League to do it for you")

BUT--I think Ben has used ALL of his Nine Lives. I think the Rooneys WILL dump him if he so much as blows his nose in the wrong direction.

As for the person who chided Dan Rooney's remark, "I work in Ireland now"...he does. He turned the reins of the Organization over to his (very capable) son. It's HIS team now. While I am sure that Dan STILL has a huge amount of input, Art II is the Master and Commander. Dan is NOT going to undermine his son's decisions and he certainly is not going to publicly do so when we (the public) all know he turned over the reins.

wdsteel
04-15-2010, 12:57 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Prok
04-15-2010, 01:07 PM
No. I won't quit on the team the way other fans have quit on a player.

I feel the same.

Preacher
04-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Im tired of listening to this crap If a girl gets drunk and does something she might regret later oh well shes an adult and should take responsibilty for her actions ..

Sorry, but purposely getting a woman drunk enough that she would make a decision that she may not have otherwise, is considered rape.

I am not saying Ben did that specifically... but your comment is pretty ignorant.

Prok
04-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Sorry, but purposely getting a woman drunk enough that she would make a decision that she may not have otherwise, is considered rape.

So now Ben purposely got the girl drunk....... The way I understood is that ALOT were drinking alcohol and it was NOT Ben's responsibility to I.D ppl who were drinking. Sheesh this is getting old.

SteelGhost
04-15-2010, 01:16 PM
People go to church to pray, go to bars to drink :noidea:

Nadroj 20
04-15-2010, 01:37 PM
I would never quit being a fan of the Steelers just for trading Ben. What ever they do the Steelers are my team.

SteelersBry79
04-15-2010, 01:51 PM
I come from a Steelers house. I had Steelers stuff in my bedroom as a baby and I haven't turned my back on them once. When I say I'm a Steelers fan for life I mean exactly that. Win or lose, the Steelers are my team regardless of what goes on. Do I think Ben will be traded, it's highly unlikely. Do I think this whole thing is in some way a conspiracy and just a bunch of bullshit either way? You bet your sweet ass I do. Sure Ben may be, ah who am I kidding......he IS a moron, but on the field and to the team he is a great player.

I follow the Steelers because I'm from the Pittsburgh area and anyone that's a native born Pittsburgher who condemns, sways or says they're leaving or not being a fan anymore is a traitor, not to just the Steelers, but to the whole Western Pa. region. When I was in Hawaii during my Army years, I wore Steelers shirts and cheered my team on with pride during the Super Bowl. What ticks me off the most is going to the mall or where ever and seeing people wear Pats jerseys, Cowboys jerseys, hearing people FROM Pittsburgh say they hate the Steelers. Those people need to be dragged out in the woods, have cuts made all over them and have ants slowly eat away their flesh.

As for the trolls on here and all over the net, pay no attention to them. I, like all the true fans on here, joined this site because we love the Steelers and nothing, and I mean NOTHING is going to change that. We bleed Black and Gold. :tt02:

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
I guess no one agrees with me and that's ok I kind of expected that.

My point is though, with what Ben has done for the Steelers, he is already an icon and one of the greats. He's in the likes of Elway, Bradshaw, Aikman, etc. already or atleast he will be. And for him to be traded, not because of the on field product, but because of ACCUSATIONS against him and not actual CHARGES. Like I said, I would take this as the ultimate slap in the face of a fan, one that might not be forgivable...that the Rooney's care more about their squeaky clean reputation of their name, than what Ben means to this team and city.

I mean what if we actually trade Ben...and from here on out he stays out of trouble, not a bad word is said about him, and he goes and wins 2 or 3 SB's with another team. I don't think I could continue to root for this team knowing we gave that away all because the Rooney's were concerned about their oh so great reputation that they traded away an all time great because of ACCUSATIONS.

wiz1120
04-15-2010, 01:55 PM
If the Steelers got rid of Ben, they would be very tough to support.

I don't know if I could still support an organization that doesn't stand by its players when they are FALSELY accused.

T.Richardson
04-15-2010, 01:58 PM
All valid questions. Chemistry is an elusive and fragile commodity.

Another factor comes to mind. We all know what "they" "do" to rapists in prison. Will defensive players go after Dark Ben with a little "extra"?

tell me where.. WHERE in the investigation did they say RAPE?

Idaho Steel
04-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Holy Crap! I can't believe that this is such a big deal. He is a young rich famous guy who had an underage chick bar-hopping hitting on him. There is no evidence of rape in either case and both of the ladies immediately hired civil lawyers. Ka-Ching. I was a young, broke, non-famous guy working at a bar and saw this happen every day. Drunk chick acts like a **** then regrets it when she sobers up. Don't be so self-righteous Mr. Rooney and the Rooney family. You made your money in the gambling industry.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 02:07 PM

I am not saying Ben did that specifically... but your comment is pretty ignorant.

ignorant??? you cant purposely get someone else drunk if they dont want to get drunk they must drink the drinks so please tell me where my statement was ignorant. Heres an idea for the young lady if you dont want to get drunk dont drink or better yet dont hangout at bars. Talk about ignorance suggesting that women cant make a simple decesion on whether or not to keep taking shots.

memphissteelergirl
04-15-2010, 02:10 PM
If you turn your back on the Steelers for trading Ben. Then you were never a true fan to begin with. The team is bigger then one player. The legacy of the Steelers, The Chief, and everything this team stands for is much bigger then one player. You may as well root for the Bengals if you turn your back on the Steelers because of the loss of one player. Ben or no Ben. Black and Gold till I die.

What he said.
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

memphissteelergirl
04-15-2010, 02:16 PM
What ticks me off the most is going to the mall or where ever and seeing people wear Pats jerseys, Cowboys jerseys, hearing people FROM Pittsburgh say they hate the Steelers. Those people need to be dragged out in the woods, have cuts made all over them and have ants slowly eat away their flesh.

Ohhhhh....kay :cya:

SteelersBry79
04-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Ohhhhh....kay :cya:

Yeah I know, I can get a bit rabid at times. I'm not sorry though for being a Steelers fan though! :tt03:

oldschool
04-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I've been a Steelers fan before he was born, I will be a Steelers fan after he is gone, the more I read the more I'm starting to anticipate the day.