PDA

View Full Version : Ward 'discouraged' by Big Ben's actions

polamalubeast
04-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Ward 'discouraged' by Big Ben's actions
Buzz up!By John Grupp, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Last updated: 5:58 pm

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said he is "discouraged" by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's off-the-field conduct and called some recent incidents "unfortunate" for the Steelers organization.

"I'm not really disappointed in anything," Ward said this afternoon. "I'm discouraged a little bit because the Pittsburgh Steelers come with a high level. Expectations are high. It's unfortunate that our organization has to be in the news like this."

Ward's comments came during a brief media interview session following a question and answer period with 40 student/athletes as part of a Gatorade promotion at North Hills High School.

Ward also indicated that, if the Steelers win the Super Bowl, he would retire after the season. During his 40-minute Q&A session with North Hills football players, the 13-year veteran said his career would be complete with another ring.

"If I win three Super Bowls, I'm retiring," Ward said. "I'm telling you that right now."

Ward said, if he had his way, troubled wide receiver Santonio Holmes would still be on the Steelers, but he supports any actions taken by the Rooney family and/or the NFL.

"It's an unfortunate incident and I would have loved for him to stay, but it's not my team," Ward said. "Who am I to question Mr. Rooney and the Pittsburgh Steelers? They have been doing this thing for a lot of years. They felt it was best for Santonio and best for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Whatever choices they make, they have our support."

Ward, the team's all-time leading receiver, is confident his teammates can fill the void created when Holmes was traded to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft pick.

"It's unfortunate that Santonio is no longer with us," Ward said. "(But) Mike Wallace had a tremendous rookie year and now he's going to get more opportunities to become that guy. ...Yes, we're young. But, at the same time, that's my job as a leader. I've been in this game a long time and I've seen a lot of players come and go. I'm up for the challenge."

Ward, speaking publicly about Roethlisberger for the first time since Georgia officials decided not to pursue any charges in the alleged sexual assault last month of a 20-year-old college student, said the Steelers' expectations remain the same.

"One thing about us is that we're a close-knit family," he said. "We are going to rally behind each other and support each other. Whatever decision that Mr. Rooney or the league makes, we are going to abide by it and move on. It's not going to change the way we approach things. It's not going to change the expectation level. Our goal is still to win the Super Bowl."

steeltheone
04-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Young? Sweeds 3rd year ...ARE.....6 or 7th year....... and Battle atleast 5....and Ward

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Well I'm sure Ben was 'discouraged' by Ward's comments last year about Ben not playing with his concussion.

pete74
04-15-2010, 07:19 PM
i agree with ward and im sure alot of the team feel the same way. he needs to earn there respect back

LukesDad88
04-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Well I'm sure Ben was 'discouraged' by Ward's comments last year about Ben not playing with his concussion.

Edit.

HometownGal
04-15-2010, 07:30 PM

:applaudit::thumbsup::applaudit: Bingo.

We're all discouraged by Ben's behavior and I hope Ben can find a way to remove the Pampers, grow up, deflate that big melon of his (as well as deflating that "other" part of his body) and become a MAN instead of acting like a teenaged horn dog who just discovered puberty.

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the proof that Ben's innocent of all charges. After all, how could he rape somebody with you always riding his jock?

You may ban me now if you'd like, mods.

Yes, I'm one of the fans that won't throw our 2 time SB QB under the bus because of ACCUSATIONS. What a shame that there are hardly any other fans on this board that feel the same way.

steelreserve
04-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Ward also indicated that, if the Steelers win the Super Bowl, he would retire after the season. During his 40-minute Q&A session with North Hills football players, the 13-year veteran said his career would be complete with another ring.

"If I win three Super Bowls, I'm retiring," Ward said. "I'm telling you that right now."

Awwww ... and I was hoping he'd be one of those guys who kept playing until they're like 39 without getting much worse. He seems like the kind of player who could do it.

By "young," I think he meant Sweed and Wallace, because let's face it, those are the guys we're hoping come up big this year. If we're mostly relying on Battle and Randle El, our passing game is going to be so-so.

LukesDad88
04-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Accusations? Even Ben's admitted actions were disgraceful.

And last time I checked, the team won the SB's, not one player.

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Accusations? Even Ben's admitted actions were disgraceful.

And last time I checked, the team won the SB's, not one player.

Well of course Ben's actions were disgraceful and perverted...I never said they weren't. Would I trade him because of them? Hell no. Last I checked they were football players and not teachers or politicians. I want a quarterback that is going to win us Super Bowls and could really careless what his morals are. If the guy was actually charged and convicted it would be a different story...I'd be calling for his head too.

And you're crazy if you think any other QB that would of been a realistic option for the Steelers if we didn't have Ben, would of won those 2 SB's. No f'n way. The QB is the most important piece of the puzzle.

LukesDad88
04-15-2010, 07:41 PM
That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. Of course, if we hadn't had Ben, maybe we would have gone for Brees, and won three. Who knows? There's alot of what if's we can toss in. Doesn't really matter because there are some things worth more to me as a fan than a Lombardi.

Vincent
04-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Well of course Ben's actions were disgraceful and perverted...

...but he's our disgraceful pervert.

Right? :rolleyes:

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 08:24 PM
...but he's our disgraceful pervert.

Right? :rolleyes:

LOL, from the guy with the James Harrison banner in his posts.

You know the James Harrison who was arrested for beating up the mother of his child.

Steelers17
04-15-2010, 08:37 PM
It just keeps on coming! :tt03:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0415101roethlisberger1.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/15/ben-roethlisberger-files_n_539743.html

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-04-12/no-charges-against-roethlisberger-hints-settlement-accuser

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 08:57 PM
That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. Of course, if we hadn't had Ben, maybe we would have gone for Brees, and won three. Who knows? There's alot of what if's we can toss in. Doesn't really matter because there are some things worth more to me as a fan than a Lombardi.

Like what? You know i never heard a team start a season whos goal was to be the best behaved team no there goal every season is to win that trophy.

LukesDad88
04-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Like what? You know i never heard a team start a season whos goal was to be the best behaved team no there goal every season is to win that trophy.

Well, having a quarterback that doesn't need to get 20 year old girl's blind drunk in order to score for one. Yeah, that's slightly more important.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 09:15 PM

You know i feel sorry for Luke because his dad is a fool. :thumbsup:

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Well, having a quarterback that doesn't need to get 20 year old girl's blind drunk in order to score for one. Yeah, that's slightly more important.
20 year old girls are capable of getting themselves drunk

LukesDad88
04-15-2010, 09:25 PM
You know i feel sorry for Luke because his dad is a fool. :thumbsup:

Smart enough to realize that there are more important things than whether the team wearing the jersey he roots for wins or loses. Smart enough to know that there is no excusing taking advantage of a blind drunk girl.

Perhaps you don't find it embarassing that your pride and joy isn't man enough to score without plying nearly underage with alcohol till they are blind drunk. It makes me embarrassed as hell. But hey, maybe that's how you think it's supposed to be done.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Smart enough to realize that there are more important things than whether the team wearing the jersey he roots for wins or loses. Smart enough to know that there is no excusing taking advantage of a blind drunk girl.

Perhaps you don't find it embarassing that your pride and joy isn't man enough to score without plying nearly underage with alcohol till they are blind drunk. It makes me embarrassed as hell. But hey, maybe that's how you think it's supposed to be done.

you know shes old enough to make a decision about what and how much she drinks. No one needs to force alcohol on any college student at a bar. She needs to be responsible for her actions. if she bought 20 shots drove home and killed someone we wouldnt arrest the bartender. Maybe this little princess shouldnt hangout in bars or do shots its not bens job to make decisions for her. You cant get someone drunk who doesnt want to get drunk. and there is no proof he bought her a shot or any number of shots.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 09:34 PM

And please explain to me why a girl who didnt want to drink and get drunk would need a fake id and use it at a bar ? please mr morals enlighten me.

LukesDad88
04-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Her being drunk is her own fault and her own issue. Ben helping her in that endeavor and attempting to take advantage of the situation is strictly on him .

LukesDad88
04-15-2010, 09:41 PM
you know shes old enough to make a decision about what and how much she drinks. No one needs to force alcohol on any college student at a bar. She needs to be responsible for her actions. if she bought 20 shots drove home and killed someone we wouldnt arrest the bartender. Maybe this little princess shouldnt hangout in bars or do shots its not bens job to make decisions for her. You cant get someone drunk who doesnt want to get drunk. and there is no proof he bought her a shot or any number of shots.

I hope you're not a bartender, because yes, a bartender and the bar can and will be held liable.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Her being drunk is her own fault and her own issue. Ben helping her in that endeavor and attempting to take advantage of the situation is strictly on him .

so once your drunk you dont have to be responsible for what you do.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 09:47 PM
I hope you're not a bartender, because yes, a bartender and the bar can and will be held liable.

Thats a stretch in a busy college bar there going to arrest the bartender for not monitoring everyones alcohol intake. have you ever been to a bar? especially a college bar?

LukesDad88
04-15-2010, 09:48 PM
So once somebody's nearly incoherent, you're free and clear to do what you like?

LukesDad88
04-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Thats a stretch in a busy college bar there going to arrest the bartender for not monitoring everyones alcohol intake. have you ever been to a bar? especially a college bar?

lol, Considering I've managed one, then yeah, I'd say I've been in one before.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Our goal is to win a superbowl?

With that said you better hope BB isn't suspended because that might put a kink in your armour

SteelCityMom

You do know that if someone who is underage (even people who are over age) drink at a bar all night and drives home well over the legal limit, the bar does have some of the responsibility right?

And while I think Ben is pretty much innocent in this whole ordeal...it doesn't mean that a drunk chick can't say no. I'm not 100% convinced that Ben didn't just take advantage of what he thought was the drunkest chick at the party.

steeldawg
So once somebody's nearly incoherent, you're free and clear to do what you like?

hey if they can walk talk and consent then yes and if ben is drunk then whos to blame?

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 09:54 PM

No, that's not on him. He isn't the bouncer at the door checking ID's is he? It's the bars responsibility to control who is and who isn't drinking if you have a mixed crowd present.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 09:57 PM

I part-owned a bar...and we had mixed age events. Let me tell you, the bouncers and the bartenders (myself included) were very wary of underage individuals. We could have lost our livelihood because of one stupid drunk...so yeah, we payed attention.

LukesDad88
04-15-2010, 09:59 PM
No, that's not on him. He isn't the bouncer at the door checking ID's is he? It's the bars responsibility to control who is and who isn't drinking if you have a mixed crowd present.

No, he's not responsible for checking her ID. But he does bear responsibility for continuing to buy her drinks after she was already visibly intoxicated. And he definitely bears responsibility for what happened next.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 10:01 PM
I part-owned a bar...and we had mixed age events. Let me tell you, the bouncers and the bartenders (myself included) were very wary of underage individuals. We could have lost our livelihood because of one stupid drunk...so yeah, we payed attention.

I was just making a point that if a girl gets drunk at the bar and then gets in her car and kills someone its not the bartenders fault its her fault for drinking and driving. Point being if she gets drunk and has sex in a bathroom you cant blame ben for taking advantage of her.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 10:01 PM
No, he's not responsible for checking her ID. But he does bear responsibility for continuing to buy her drinks after she was already visibly intoxicated. And he definitely bears responsibility for what happened next.

No he's not lol. You're kidding right? He can tell anyone he wants that he wants to buy them a round. It's up to the bar to decide if that person is drunk enough to have another one or not....just like it's up to the bar to determine whether or not the girl is old enough to drink.

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
This clown LukesDad is just looking for reasons to throw Ben under the bus.

LukesDad88
04-15-2010, 10:03 PM
http://www.dui.com/dui-library/new-hampshire/news/bartender-arrested-for-serving-nh-dwi-driver

http://www.realpolice.net/forums/police-officer-headlines-76/34260-pub-owner-bartenders-charged-fatal-dui-crash.html

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 10:05 PM
I was just making a point that if a girl gets drunk at the bar and then gets in her car and kills someone its not the bartenders fault its her fault for drinking and driving. Point being if she gets drunk and has sex in a bathroom you cant blame ben for taking advantage of her.

It sure is the bartenders fault if someone at your bar gets so drunk that they are over the legal limit. I know it may not sound right, but it's the law. If an employee of a bar lets someone drive home visibly intoxicated, they are liable for allowing it. My father was a full time bartender and I part owned a bar/club...and believe me, you don't want to let someone who's too drunk out of your bar driving around.

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 10:06 PM
http://www.dui.com/dui-library/new-hampshire/news/bartender-arrested-for-serving-nh-dwi-driver

http://www.realpolice.net/forums/police-officer-headlines-76/34260-pub-owner-bartenders-charged-fatal-dui-crash.html

Well you also think Ben is responsible...so where's your link to a story where "man is charged for buying girl a drink who was already intoxicated". Sorry don't think you'll find that one.

steeldawg

she cant say no to drinks but she can say no to sex. you are a clown

SteelCityMom

Perfect examples of my other point...still does nothing to say that Ben has any responsibility in the amount of alcohol the girl consumed.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 10:09 PM
she cant say no to drinks but she can say no to sex. you are a clown

Can't say no to drinks???

Really?

Do you want another drink?

No thanks, I'm good.

Ok then.

steeldawg
It sure is the bartenders fault if someone at your bar gets so drunk that they are over the legal limit. I know it may not sound right, but it's the law. If an employee of a bar lets someone drive home visibly intoxicated, they are liable for allowing it. My father was a full time bartender and I part owned a bar/club...and believe me, you don't want to let someone who's too drunk out of your bar driving around.

might be a law but thats not my point its about reponsiblity for your own actions maybe its a bad example. ben might buy a drink but its up to her to drink it.

LukesDad88
No he's not lol. You're kidding right? He can tell anyone he wants that he wants to buy them a round. It's up to the bar to decide if that person is drunk enough to have another one or not....just like it's up to the bar to determine whether or not the girl is old enough to drink.

I'm not saying that he's legally liable in that situation, but ethically and morally? With his intentions, then yes, he does bear some responsibility. As does she, and certainly as does the bar.

Just because they were wrong does not mitigate him.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Can't say no to drinks???

Really?

Do you want another drink?

No thanks, I'm good.

Ok then.

im being sarcastic

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Well you also think Ben is responsible...so where's your link to a story where "man is charged for buying girl a drink who was already intoxicated". Sorry don't think you'll find that one.

And you'll never find one like that. I'm glad you see the point in all this. The bar is 100% responsible for the patrons inside of it. The patrons are not responsible for the other patrons.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 10:12 PM
im being sarcastic

OK good lol.

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Young single guys pick up drunk chicks all the time...what planet are you on that this is oh such a travesty and uncommon. The only thing Ben did wrong was taking her into a public bathroom.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm not saying that he's legally liable in that situation, but ethically and morally? With his intentions, then yes, he does bear some responsibility. As does she, and certainly as does the bar.

Oh come on. Like he's the first dude to try to get a girl drunk at a bar. He bears NO responsibility for the girl getting drunk. It's up to the bar to make sure the people getting drunk in their establishment are of age.

And yes, it's up to the girl to handle herself. Learn how to kick someone in the nuts and run if you really want to say no in public place. May sound harsh, but come on.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 10:16 PM
might be a law but thats not my point its about reponsiblity for your own actions maybe its a bad example. ben might buy a drink but its up to her to drink it.

I agree with you on this completely, but ultimately it's up to the bar to keep control of their patrons.

steeldawg
04-15-2010, 10:17 PM

please get off the high horse sir, before you fall and hurt yourself. :wave:

7SteelGal43
04-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Hines ?! retiring at the end of the season ?!

now THAT'S discouraging :crying03:

zulater
04-15-2010, 11:32 PM

So what happened next Luke'sDad?

He said he didn't engage in intercourse, she said he did. The lack of charges and physical evidence seems to support the notion Ben could be telling the truth to me. But you seem to know all the answers, so you tell me. what happened next?

LukesDad88
04-16-2010, 12:02 AM
So what happened next Luke'sDad?

He said he didn't engage in intercourse, she said he did. The lack of charges and physical evidence seems to support the notion Ben could be telling the truth to me. But you seem to know all the answers, so you tell me. what happened next?

Any one of a number of violations could have occured, not just intercourse. The bruising, abrasions, and vaginal bleeding along with a small DNA sample definitely something happened, and likely some sort of penetration. Yes, Ben said that there was no intercourse, but he also stated there was sexual contact.

zulater
04-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Any one of a number of violations could have occured, not just intercourse. The bruising, abrasions, and vaginal bleeding along with a small DNA sample definitely something happened, and likely some sort of penetration. Yes, Ben said that there was no intercourse, but he also stated there was sexual contact.

But she said it was intercourse. So what are we to believe?

plenewken
04-16-2010, 08:44 AM
But she said it was intercourse. So what are we to believe?

Ben also declared that she fell and hurt herself, yet, the only bruises the Doctors found were vaginal.

stlrtruck
04-16-2010, 02:11 PM
I appreciate Ward's comments. For the most part he has been a professional in everything that he's done. WIth the exception of his hold out year (which is the only thing I've been peeved about with him), he's shown himself to be a Steeler by nature. He understands the team standard, he understands the Steelers way, and he lives by that standard (yes I know he was in trouble as part owner of a bar).