PDA

View Full Version : Steelers want to contend for SB?

Prok
04-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Then get us upgrades at the CB position and depth at LB and DL.

I want us the upgrade BOTH starting CB spots and SOON. IMO Ike Taylor is way over-rated by many fans. I've grown very tired of his lack of awareness on simple fade passes and poor hands. And I fear Willie Gay won't recover from a dismal showing last year.

Maybe a Lewis or Burnett pans out but we can't be totally SURE. I think it'd be wise to spend an early pick on a hopefully good CB.

And as we all have seen with age and injury, we must keep an eye towards the future with our LB corps. It wouldn't bother me to see us draft this position early as well.

I think we can get by with what we have on the OL (unless you want DD or Batch playing extensively) for now with maybe a G or C (prolly one of each) taken in the 3-7 round range.

But IMO how much our defense improves will dictate how far this years Steelers are able to go.

Sure we will get depth at RB and possibly WR but we can win with who we currently have.

In a perfect world for me we somehow get Haden in 1 and Witherspoon (sp?) in 2.

* This is if we can get through a certain "suspension" with .500 record.

Thoughts?

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I agree, honestly I don't see us as a SB caliber team with what we have at corner. Both Taylor and Gay are awful...would be a dream to somehow find a way to move up and get Haden in the 1st.

steeltheone
04-15-2010, 07:40 PM
I agree, honestly I don't see us as a SB caliber team with what we have at corner. Both Taylor and Gay are awful...would be a dream to somehow find a way to move up and get Haden in the 1st.

Taylor awful? thats being a little harsh....

JSH6487
04-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Taylor awful? thats being a little harsh....

Maybe is a little harsh...just not a fan of his at all. If Troy is behind him and the LB's and D-line are playing at their best getting pressure on the QB then Taylor's play really isn't under the microscope...but he's really been exposed this past season as a fraud and liability in single coverage. The guy is a nickel CB at BEST.

polamalubeast
04-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Gay may have been the worst starting CB in the NFL in 2009 and the worst cornerback steelers since 2002 and 2003.

I want to see him as a starter next year.

I have a playmaker like CB .... the steelers were one of the worst teams to create turnovers and that is one reason why we did not score 400 points was the offensive

The defense was among the worst against the 3rd down and 31th to the points allowed to the 4th quarter.

The CB and the loss of Polamalu was one of the reasons to disaster and I want to live collapses in 4th quarter as the year pass.

On the offensive, I remain concerned about the loss of Holmes and Roethlisberger will have that suspension, but it will improve performance in the red zone.

The key for us, it'll be the performance of our defense, especially early season.

Merchant
04-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Don't know what you guys are talking about with Ike. I watched a lot of game tape from the '09 season and he was fantastic most of the time. Gay on the other hand, I agree, is a liability. If we have Ike and Kyle Wilson.. that'll be serious.

tony hipchest
04-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Gay may have been the worst starting CB in the NFL in 2009 and the worst cornerback steelers since 2002 and 2003.

I want to see him as a starter next year.:thumbsup::cookie:

I have a playmaker like CB :huh: .... the steelers were one of the worst teams to create turnovers and that is one reason why we did not score 400 points was the offensive :confused:
The defense was among the worst against the 3rd down and 31th to the points :oops: allowed to the 4th quarter.

The CB and the loss of Polamalu was one of the reasons to disaster :huh: and I want to live collapses :confused: in 4th quarter as the year pass :tt:.

On the offensive, I remain concerned about the loss of Holmes and Roethlisberger will have that suspension, but it will improve performance in the red zone. :alcoholic:

The key for us, it'll be the performance of our defense, especially early season.

WTF is it you are trying to say!?!?!?

this shit is indecipherable. please tell me you are from peru, or uruguay, or something, so i have no further reason to hack your english skills.

Shoes
04-15-2010, 09:42 PM
nice icons

Prok
04-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Don't know what you guys are talking about with Ike. I watched a lot of game tape from the '09 season and he was fantastic most of the time. Gay on the other hand, I agree, is a liability. If we have Ike and Kyle Wilson.. that'll be serious.

I think Ike's a nickle corner too. It's not so much his bad hands as it is his ball awareness IMO. I agree with others that with a healthy Troy back there it helps cover our CB weaknesses.

We need some quality CB's BAD IMO.

But if we keep Troy healthy, then land one decent cover guy in the draft combined with our front 7 improving we can contend this year. But i think this team has to find young starters at both CB spots real soon.

SteelerFanInStl
04-16-2010, 08:15 AM
It's good to see a thread here that's not about Ben.

The defense has to improve, especially the secondary. We gave away far too many games last year in the 4th quarter. A DB has to be a priority in the draft and we also need Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett to step up. Gay just isn't good enough to be a starter. Hopefully we'll get a full healthy season out of Troy and Aaron and Ziggy will step it up even more to show us why he was drafted #1 last year. I think the defense is gonna come back in a big way.

I like how the 'experts' are already writing off the Steelers this year. Brian Baldinger said on the NFL Network last night that the Steelers aren't a playoff team. :toofunny: Yea, we'll see about that.

fansince'76
04-16-2010, 08:43 AM
WTF is it you are trying to say!?!?!?

this shit is indecipherable. please tell me you are from peru, or uruguay, or something, so i have no further reason to hack your english skills.

Try Canada:

I already begin to write on the forum today, but I tell you that I am a new member here!

And I would also say that my first language is french and I live in quebec (canada), so it's on my English is not perfect but I hope you will understand the same!:drink:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=792294#post792294

What's sad is that though this guy's primary language is not English, his posts are actually a hell of a lot more coherent than a lot of the gibberish I've seen around here written by people whose primary language (supposedly) is English.

SteelKid212
04-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Try Canada:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=792294#post792294

What's sad is that though this guy's primary language is not English, his posts are actually a hell of a lot more coherent than a lot of the gibberish I've seen around here written by people whose primary language (supposedly) is English.

u are definitely right.
most peeps speak perfect english. yet make absolutely NO SENSE around here.
its a good post. and if i use my imagination, i can kinda make sense of what he is TRYING to say. :chuckle:

none the less, what he says at the end is true, to have a good year DEFENSE MUST STEP UP. ESPECIALLY AT THE START OF THE SEASON, with ben out w a suspension. WE WILL NEED IT.