PDA

View Full Version : Eli "hoping for best" for Big Ben »

mesaSteeler
04-16-2010, 12:02 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2010/04/eli-hoping-for-best-for-big-be.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fgiants+%28B logs%2FThe+Blue+Screen%29
The Blue Screen
by Ralph Vacchiano
April 15, 2010 4:32 PM 22 Comments
Eli "hoping for best" for Big Ben »

By Ralph Vacchiano

Eli Manning is “hoping for the best” for embattled Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

He also knows there’s a lesson coming from what his fellow NFL quarterback is going through.

“I think that just as athletes you’ve got to be careful where you are and what you’re doing,” Manning said yesterday. “You try to be conscious of it. But also, if you want to have fun - - you’re still a person and you have a right to enjoy yourself - - but you’ve got to be careful about what’s going on.”

Clearly Roethlisberger wasn’t careful at all when he went out for a night of club-hopping in Georgia last month to celebrate his birthday. The night ended with the Steelers quarterback being accused of sexual assault - - though the District Attorney in Milledgeville, Ga. recently announced no charges would be filed.

Regardless, Roethlisberger is now facing a possible NFL suspension after meeting yesterday with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, and he’s also facing a likely punishment from the irate Pittsburgh Steelers.

Manning, whose image has been squeaky clean since the Giants traded for him on Draft Day, 2004, said he’s followed the Roetlisberger case and said he’ll be “watching and supporting” Roethlisberger in the coming weeks.

“You just hope everything works out and he’ll be able to come back and play and play at a high level,” Manning said. “He’s a tremendous talent.”

It’s amazing, when you think about it, just how close the Giants came to drafting Ben Roethlisberger in 2004. And given the recent events surrounding Big Ben the thought might even be a little scary for Giants fans.

But it’s true - - and worth pondering. If Giants GM Ernie Accorsi hadn’t pulled off the draft day trade - - a trade for which he was roundly criticized at the time, by the way - - the Giants would have taken Roethlisberger. And I can tell you, after thoroughly researching this for my book on Eli Manning they wouldn’t have had any problem picking Roethlisberger instead. His character was not considered a concern.

Who knows how things would have worked out for either team or player if Roethlisberger had landed in New York? But this latest Roethlisberger mess is just another reason why the Giants (and their fans) should be thrilled with the way things worked out on that fateful day in 2004 - - no matter how many Super Bowl rings either quarterback ends up winning in their careers.

Merchant
04-16-2010, 12:08 AM
if I see one more Ben thread i'm gonna puke.

polamalubeast
04-16-2010, 12:09 AM
I appreciate the support that Eli Manning has given Roethlisberger!:thumbsup::tt02::hug:

tube517
04-16-2010, 12:27 AM
YAWN

Galax Steeler
04-16-2010, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the support Eli still not a big fan of yours.

stillers4me
04-16-2010, 05:02 AM
Hopefully, more players will come out and show support for Ben. I think that's really important for his recovery process.

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 06:35 AM
Hopefully, more players will come out and show support for Ben. I think that's really important for his recovery process.

Most definitely.

Eli is basically saying that Ben is a dumb ass for putting himself in this position yet again, but phrased it quite nicely. :chuckle:

SteelKid212
04-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Most definitely.

Eli is basically saying that Ben is a dumb ass for putting himself in this position yet again, but phrased it quite nicely. :chuckle:

exactly.

kirklandrules
04-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Who knows how things would have worked out for either team or player if Roethlisberger had landed in New York?

Yeah, the poor Giants would be in the same boat we are in, polishing two recent superbowl trophies (instead of one) and wondering if it's a 2 or 4 game suspension. Oh, and excited to see what DD has under the hood during Ben's time of reflection.

stlrtruck
04-16-2010, 01:18 PM

Just get it out of the way now...save yourself the trouble later.

New thread in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....

stillers4me
04-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Who knows how things would have worked out for either team or player if Roethlisberger had landed in New York?

I bet the Pittsburgh media and fanbase would even drive Eli to drinking and a life of debauchery. :chuckle:

mesaSteeler
04-16-2010, 03:43 PM
I bet the Pittsburgh media and fanbase would even drive Eli to drinking and a life of debauchery. :chuckle:

A life of debauchery in Pittsburgh???!!!! The city must have changed a lot since I lived there.

stillers4me
04-16-2010, 03:46 PM
A life of debauchery in Pittsburgh???!!!! The city must have changed a lot since I lived there.

Ben managed it.

Stlrs4Life
04-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Nice words by Eli.

Shoes
04-16-2010, 08:53 PM

Better get out your bucket, it's only Friday :chuckle:

steelerdude15
04-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Good to see Eli supporting Ben, hopefully more will soon.