PDA

View Full Version : Because of Ben and Holmes, Now "The Steelers" Face League Discipline

SteelerEmpire
04-16-2010, 09:37 AM
This is turning into a witch hunt... :doh:

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5098560

klick81
04-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Ok, this is ridiculous.

Mags87
04-16-2010, 09:49 AM
" Sources in and around the league believe Roethlisberger will receive a suspension of between two and four games."

for having sex with a drunk chick? i am not in favor for any suspension handed to him by the NFL. The team can do with him what they would (hopefully no suspension, i still dont think he deserves that) but the NFL shouldnt be able to touch him. ridiculous

Steelers>NFL
04-16-2010, 10:03 AM
If for whatever reason the Rooneys are fined, Big Ben better pay for it with his own dam money!

Nadroj 20
04-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Guys calm down this has been in place since 2008. Basically the money that Ben doesnt get paid during his possible suspension instead of the Steelers keeping it, it now goes to the NFL. Not sure how the Holmes thing will work out because hes a Jet now :noidea: maybe they will have to pay because he is their player now.

This thing was set in place when the new misconduct code was realeased in '08 i believe, i was hearing something about it on ESPN.

Sharkissle29
04-16-2010, 10:26 AM
so have the bengals been fined too?

Nadroj 20
04-16-2010, 10:26 AM
" Sources in and around the league believe Roethlisberger will receive a suspension of between two and four games."

for having sex with a drunk chick? i am not in favor for any suspension handed to him by the NFL. The team can do with him what they would (hopefully no suspension, i still dont think he deserves that) but the NFL shouldnt be able to touch him. ridiculous

Whatever suspension he gets he is getting it from the Steelers and the NFL combined which is what Mr. Rooney said yesterday in his press conference. This way they will agree on a fair punishment and he'll only get 1 punishment instead of 1 from the team AND 1 from the NFL.

Who knows maybe thats the better way and it will minimize the amount of games :noidea:

Nadroj 20
04-16-2010, 10:28 AM

IMO they should have been, but then again idk all the rules and stuff like that. All i know is what i heard about Pittsburgh.

NJarhead
04-16-2010, 10:29 AM
THAT is ridiculous and I have to believe Goodell would forgo any attempt to fine our organization. Even if it's an insignificant amount. These media types need to go back to school and learn how to find the REAL stories for crying out loud.

Merchant
04-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Wtf.. Why should teams get fined for player misconduct? what is Art Rooney supposed to do? tag along with Ben to the club to make sure he's behaving :S lol

sharkweek
04-16-2010, 01:41 PM
If "God" gave men free will, I suppose the NFL expects the teams to have more power than God and strip them of that free will...

tube517
04-16-2010, 01:43 PM
NFL = Never ending Fines League

Fire Haley
04-16-2010, 01:52 PM
When a player forfeits salary during the time of a suspension, a team must forfeit a percentage of the money it no longer is paying the player.

Ben's penis is racking up the bills.

Indo
04-16-2010, 02:10 PM
When a player forfeits salary during the time of a suspension, a team must forfeit a percentage of the money it no longer is paying the player.

For, generally, ugly chicks. At least Brady goes after hot chicks...

Preacher
04-16-2010, 02:58 PM

LOL..

And thank you.

At least someone actually LISTENED to what was being said and realize that it really ISNT a fine. It just that the team doesn't get to keep the money that the suspended player doesn't make.

Personally, I think that is an EXCELLENT rule.

fansince'76
04-16-2010, 03:01 PM
For, generally, ugly chicks. At least Brady goes after hot chicks...

Depends on what one considers "hot."

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/home/stylephile/4857860.jpg

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Stlrs4Life
04-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Wish the players Union could fight a fine like that.

memphissteelergirl
04-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Depends on what one considers "hot."

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/home/stylephile/4857860.jpg

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

:rofl::toofunny::rofl::toofunny:

Well played, sir!

steelerjim58
04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Am I the only one who thinks goodell is an egomaniacal tyrant?

stillers4me
04-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Am I the only one who thinks goodell is an egomaniacal tyrant?

NO.

And the Bengals must still be paying off theirs in installments. :chuckle:

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 07:20 PM
The media has nothing better to do than to play private eye and cream their jeans creating drama. :rolleyes: :jerkit:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-16-2010, 07:33 PM
The money not paid doesn't go to the NFL, but charities that the NFL supports.

St33lersguy
04-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Goodell is an idiot who doesn't like the steelers. Certainly if this was Tom Brady he would't think about fining the patriots

steelerdude15
04-17-2010, 12:30 AM
This is so stupid, fining the team for a players off field incident that didn't involve the actual team... so stupid.

Galax Steeler
04-17-2010, 04:03 AM
This is so stupid, fining the team for a players off field incident that didn't involve the actual team... so stupid.

Agreed this is screwed up.:doh:

Preacher
04-17-2010, 05:42 AM

Agreed this is screwed up.:doh:

Um, it helps if you actually read the article.

The team is NOT getting fined. Any suspension the PLAYER gets, the team, instead of playing the player, pays that money to the NFL.

Either way, it is money that was budgeted to be paid in salary. It isn't a "Fine" imposed.

WH
04-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Wait until the Rooney's say ''Ok, players, we're buying an apartment complex. Welcome to your new home.'' It's be like the friggin Military.

SMR
04-17-2010, 07:16 AM

Good question. I haven't read about that anywhere.
:banging:

SteelersBry79
04-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I found this answer on another forum:

"Patriots get a wrist slap for cheating, allowing them to win Super Bowls

Steelers face a fine for players, who weren't charged, making the league look bad.

Yeah, ok. :banging:"

You have to ask yourself and there is no third option here: would you rather have cheaters on your team that can't play fair, or people that don't cheat and may have some legal issues that in no way make it unfair for other teams?

Roger Goodell can suck my A$$ :mad:

SteelerEmpire
04-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I found this answer on another forum:

"Patriots get a wrist slap for cheating, allowing them to win Super Bowls

Steelers face a fine for players, who weren't charged, making the league look bad.

Yeah, ok. :banging:"

You have to ask yourself and there is no third option here: would you rather have cheaters on your team that can't play fair, or people that don't cheat and may have some legal issues that in no way make it unfair for other teams?

Roger Goodell can suck my A$$ :mad:

I'm pretty certain that Goodell is just makin these punishments for players up as he goes along... he just kinds of wings it and feels it out... Ben's gonna get screwed by the league front offices...

SteelersBry79
04-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm pretty certain that Goodell is just makin these punishments for players up as he goes along... he just kinds of wings it and feels it out... Ben's gonna get screwed by the league front offices...

And who do you think is in charge of the front offices?

tony hipchest
04-20-2010, 05:47 PM
goodell gave what i thought was a lame answer to fining the steelers which i feel goes against the spirit of the law-

Denny Perry, Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Why is it that the Pittsburgh Steelers are being fined for their players actions.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL.com
You are referring to a policy that holds our clubs responsible for their players' actions. This hopefully encourages them to provide the necessary resources and support to make good decisions. If a team has more than one of its players disciplined in a year for violating the personal conduct or drug policies, the team has to forfeit a portion of the players' salary.

the steelers have already dumped holmes. he will not serve a suspension as a steeler, but as a jet. he is now their problem and they carry the burden (just like drafting a player with known character issues).

plus ben hasnt even been suspended yet. how the hell can they fine the steelers?

SteelerEmpire
04-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Jets adjust Holmes' deal so he'll lose less money during suspension

The New York Jets continue to show benevolence to their new players.

The NFL gave Santonio Holmes a four-game suspension without pay after he violated the league's substance-abuse policy, but the Jets reworked the wide receiver's contract to lessen his financial burden, a team source told NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi on Tuesday.

After the Jets acquired Holmes last week in a trade with the Pittsburgh Steelers, they lowered his $755,000 base salary, in the process lessening the amount of money the league will deduct from his paychecks. The Jets shifted Holmes' money into roster, reporting and signing bonuses, which aren't affected by the suspension.

The move came one month after the Jets restructured cornerback Antonio Cromartie's contract so he could settle some financial obligations. A league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora that the Jets converted part of Cromartie's $1.7 million salary into a roughly $500,000 bonus that he immediately received.

The Jets wouldn't directly comment on Cromartie's contract, but general manager Mike Tannenbaum said the team was trying to give the cornerback "his best chance to be successful" after the team acquired him in a trade with the San Diego Chargers.

Preacher
04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
goodell gave what i thought was a lame answer to fining the steelers which i feel goes against the spirit of the law-

the steelers have already dumped holmes. he will not serve a suspension as a steeler, but as a jet. he is now their problem and they carry the burden (just like drafting a player with known character issues).

plus ben hasnt even been suspended yet. how the hell can they fine the steelers?

Tony. I guess its your turn with the whole Read. comp. thing :chuckle:

Its not that they are actually FINING the STEELERS over and above everything else. They are taking the salary that Ben would have made, and saying the Steelers can't keep the money. So the fact that Ben WILL be suspended, means that the team will pay the portioned salary to the commish.

I do however, wonder how the whole Jets' thing will pan out. My guess is that they will pay Holmes' salary to the commish as well.

steeldawg
04-20-2010, 05:59 PM

Its not that they are actually FINING the STEELERS over and above everything else. They are taking the salary that Ben would have made, and saying the Steelers can't keep the money. So the fact that Ben WILL be suspended, means that the team will pay the portioned salary to the commish.

I do however, wonder how the whole Jets' thing will pan out. My guess is that they will pay Holmes' salary to the commish as well.

Exactly it keeps teams from suspending players for lame reasons to try and keep from paying them.

tony hipchest
04-20-2010, 06:00 PM
so since the steelers pay santonio's fine (thanks to the 2nd impending ben suspension) the jets take the money they save (they thought they would send 4 weekly checks to the league offices when they signed him) and give it to him as a roster bonus to keep him from puting?

"thats how you be great".

what a piece of shit.... everyone in NYC involved.

Preacher
04-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Exactly it keeps teams from suspending players for lame reasons to try and keep from paying them.

Actually, no it doesn't. It seems as though it is only for league suspensions. It has nothing to do with team suspensions.

Preacher
04-20-2010, 06:03 PM
so since the steelers pay santonio's fine (thanks to the 2nd impending ben suspension) the jets take the money they save (they thought they would send 4 weekly checks to the league offices when they signed him) and give it to him as a roster bonus to keep him from puting?

"thats how you be great".

what a piece of shit.... everyone in NYC involved.

No, I meant I would guess the Jets will give Holmes' salary money to the league, not the Steelers, since it is the Jets that would be paying Holmes if he was playing.

steeldawg
04-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Actually, no it doesn't. It seems as though it is only for league suspensions. It has nothing to do with team suspensions.

You are right reareading my post it didnt make sense. But i agree with fine the steelers shouldnt be rewarded for a player getting suspended

tony hipchest
04-20-2010, 06:09 PM

I do however, wonder how the whole Jets' thing will pan out. My guess is that they will pay Holmes' salary to the commish as well.i get that. youre missing the point, though. how the hell can they pay his portion of the fine when he is NO LONGER on their payroll?

in the bungles case, they would still keep said player, thus rightfully have to pay a fine. the jets are assuming the risk. the steelers have been penalized enough by dumping a highly productive, cheap, 1st round pick. you would think this would be a pre-emptive strike towards any further punishment.

tony hipchest
04-20-2010, 06:16 PM
No, I meant I would guess the Jets will give Holmes' salary money to the league, not the Steelers, since it is the Jets that would be paying Holmes if he was playing.preacher, youre getting my post crossed with a response to steelempire in post #33.

read it. its pretty relavent. the jets give holmes more money. it appears they traded for his "contract" which appears to be a 12 week contract.

the fine of the 4 weeks suspension stays behind.

what a crock.

and anyone who thinks the steelers would be rewarded by not paying the fine is crazy. they willingly CHOSE to dump a top noch player approaching the prime of his career to protect the shield and the franchise...