PDA

View Full Version : Toby Gerhart

Men of Steel
04-16-2010, 04:58 PM
some ppl might not like him, say he is not an all around back.
but what the Steelers need is a SMASHMOUTH BACK. the short yardage guy.
i believe this guy fits OUR system perfectly.

thing that stands out to me is his change of direction. the dude is huge and has quick feet. also his field vision is very impressive.

oh yea, and he RUNS OVER PEOPLE
hopefully we could get him by the 3rd round.

check the vid. enjoy

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AgVtpisyahU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AgVtpisyahU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

what do u all think?

whatdoiknow
04-16-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry but,,,,is this the draft forum ?

mesaSteeler
04-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Please post draft related comments in the War Room forum
http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

BlastFurnace
04-16-2010, 07:36 PM
I would love it if we drafted him. I would like to see him or Legarrette Blount in our backfield next year.

Shoes
04-16-2010, 09:01 PM
The kid has some speed and power..looks good.

austinfrench76
04-17-2010, 10:25 PM
LOVE Gerhart! Would be a great Steeler back!

Steeldude
04-18-2010, 06:32 PM
i don't see gerhart as a RB who runs OVER people. while he is physical, he is not a riggins or earl campbell type of RB.

SteelerFanInStl
04-18-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't see him as a short yardage power back like Dixon or Blount and that's what we need.

revefsreleets
04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Not interested in "Tommy Vardell II" before RD 5.

jollyrob68
04-19-2010, 11:52 AM
I'd love Toby G or Antony Dixon if in the 4th

revefsreleets
04-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Speaking of, I posted this in the last Toby Gerhart thread. As per their usual brilliance, I was accused by the braintrust of being racist, but the ACTUAL answer is posted at the end.

He's being compared to big, workhorse type backs. He's surprisingly fast, clocking a surprising 4.48 40. He's mentally tough. He never fumbled at Stanford. He never had a PENALTY called against him at Stanford. In fact, one scout had this to say about him: "He is a very, very, very good football player," said Smith. "But more important, he's a fine person. If my daughter were going to marry a football player, I'd want her to bring him home." Smith stops, sighs and says, "Sounds too good to be true, doesn't he?".

He was instrumental in big wins for the Cardinal. He's big, and strong and fast. He can catch. He blocks with reckless abandon. He's smart (well, he HAS to be to go to Stanford), but he's even smart by their high standards. He's set all kinds of records. He came out of nowhere to gain national notoriety. He'll likely be a very high draft pick.

Does anyone, based on this information, know what the one problem with him is?

The ANSWER is the above is draft analysis of NFL-bust "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell. It reads almost exactly word-for-word what people are saying about Gerhart.

Steel Glory
04-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah, but Touchdown Tommy went in the first round of the NFL draft that year. Touchdown Tommy was taken 9th overall in the draft by the Cleveland Browns and converted to a fullback.

However, Gerhart is 2-3 rounder and probably won't make it through the 3rd round. If he is available in the 3rd round I would draft him, but Blount from Oregon could be just as good, if the Steelers think he has become a better character guy.

Here's an Sports Illustrated article by Don Banks that notes the comparison:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/04/15/toby.gerhart/index.html

Labels and stereotypes can persist in the NFL as they do in society, and that's why the biggest obstacle standing between Stanford's Toby Gerhart and the pursuit of a career as a featured NFL running back -- emphasis on the "running'' -- might be the specter of Tommy Vardell, the former Stanford rusher who was wildly overdrafted by Cleveland in 1992.

"Touchdown Tommy,'' who was taken ninth overall by none other than Bill Belichick and the Browns that year, never remotely lived up to the hype created by his successful collegiate career. He spent most of his eight NFL seasons as a plodding fullback who cleared holes for others, topping 500 yards rushing in a season just once.

It may not be fair to ask of last year's Heisman runner-up, but in order to get NFL scouts to see his potential as a No. 1 running back, the 6-foot, 235-pound Gerhart has to first make them not see Vardell, whose Stanford career rushing records he obliterated. Gerhart's task is to push back against the prejudical notion that a big white running back is destined to play fullback, which in and of itself is a bit of a dying position in the pro game.

"When I met him, I was expecting the next Tommy Vardell,'' said one NFL personnel man who has scouted Gerhart this spring. "But this guy's a better player than that. He's got way more run skills, with pretty good feet. You have this impression of a big, sluggo of a white running back. But he's got more ability than that.

"I remember Vardell had those heavy feet and he sounded like a damn Clydesdale when he ran by," the personnel man went on. "But this kid isn't heavy-footed at all. He's a good player, and he's been very productive in high school and in college. At worst, he's a rotational back, and I think he's better than that, and can do more than that. It's just that he doesn't fit the typical NFL perception at the running back position.''

The question of what exactly Gerhart will be in the NFL and which team sees him as he sees himself makes for one of the most intriguing storylines of this year's draft. Watching where he lands should make for some must-see TV, and not just because he's something of a throwback prospect in an era where speed reigns supreme and power runners are relegated to the short-yardage and goal line packages.

COMPLETE DRAFT PROFILE OF TOBY GERHART

In an informal mini-poll of NFL decision-makers this week, I discovered plenty of enthusiasm for Gerhart as a lead running back, with many expressing their pleasant surprise at the amount of athleticism he exhibits. That's basically code for: He runs pretty good for a white running back, which helps explain how he won the Doak Walker award last season as the top collegiate back, and led the nation in rushing (1,871 yards) and touchdowns (28) -- despite finishing second behind Alabama running back Mark Ingram in the Heisman voting.

The consensus seems to be that Gerhart carries a second-round grade in the draft and there is a growing level of excitement about his ability to potentially front a team's rushing attack.

"I see no fullback,'' said one NFL general manager who has evaluated this year's running back crop. "I see a running back. I've heard the fullback stuff, especially in the past three weeks. But I think he's a unique talent with unique skills. Based on his production, he was a running back in high school, he was a running back in college, and he'll be a running back in the NFL. Now, how successful? We don't know that yet. But I don't think he poses any challenge to anybody in how to use him. He's a big back, but he's a running back. We're looking at him and I'm not interested in fullbacks.''

In a league that worships at the altar of speed, Gerhart has enough of it to get the job done. He ran 40s in the mid-4.5s this spring, and teams were also impressed with his 38-inch vertical leap, 22 reps on the bench press, and his score of 30 on the Wonderlic, best among running backs in this year's draft. What he lacks is wiggle and top-notch elusiveness. Gerhart's running style is fairly straight forward, with the key word being forward.

"The key question is, Is he moving the chains,'' the NFL G.M. said. "He's got good enough speed but he's clearly not a home run guy. If he kicks it in space and goes, he's going to get you a chunk of yards. But he's not going 78 or 88. And don't forget, the trend now in the NFL is to have a 1-2 punch (in the backfield). A lot of (teams) have it, and a lot of (teams) will continue to seek it.''

TOP 10 RB PROSPECTS IN THE DRAFT

Gerhart's stock is on the rise, said NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock, because the more teams see of him, the more rock-solid every facet of his game appears. Mayock, who I consider the best of the draft-season talking heads, envisions a team selecting Gerhart with the added value in mind of filling two positions with just one player.

"What I like about him is that I think he can play two positions for you,'' Mayock said in a Wednesday conference call. "He reminds me a little bit of [Le'Ron] McClain from the Ravens, where he could play some fullback for you if you needed him to because he's tough enough and I think he'll block. But he can also be an I-tailback that can push the pile. And to me the I-tailback that can push the pile has more value.

"I don't see him making a living just trying to knock down defensive ends and linebackers (as a fullback). I think his feet are too good for that for his size. You're talking about a 235-pound guy with great feet. So I like him athletically. I like him playing tailback. I think he's a real solid second-round value.''

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/04/15/toby.gerhart/index.html#ixzz0lZ60Jpox