PDA

View Full Version : The problem with "running the ball more."

Prok
04-18-2010, 01:02 PM
The way I see it we will STILL have problems with the play-calling.

And as I recall there are only a few select running play's in our scheme that are effective? Unless i have selective memory, i can remember a bunch of our running plays getting stopped for losses.

Somebody help me out here. How does running the ball more solve these problems ??

pete74
04-18-2010, 01:04 PM
we need to run better and im sure thats why we will select a OL man in the 1st or 2nd

wdsteel
04-18-2010, 01:26 PM
The OL we have right now are better run blockers.. When we ran the ball more then pass they get in sink and bid good. We run the ball more it will rest the D and run the play clock down..other teams will risk more to get downfield quicker cuss of behind in score or time is running out..We have a Great Defense and its even better if they are rested the holl game..age is a killer for us
To run the ball more and better we need to upgrade the OL
1. I dont like Starks at LT even tho he's are best right now.
2. RG needs Colon back even tho he's are best RT
3. We need another OT to play RT
4. Hartwig needs a push from backup C to play better
If we can draft a one of top 5 Lt's this year that will fix 1-3
If we get Iupati that will fix 2 Colon stays at RT Iupati will be probowl guard we been missing.
and maybe fix LT but will take year or 2...hes just now scratching the surface of his potential.
If we Draft Pouncey that would fix right side for a year the C for years probowler for sure like Iupatti.
Will also need another Big back to share the load with Mendy and be sure he last the season.

when we pass the ball the D is back on the field faster and dont get as much rest as aged players need.
when we ran the ball the other teams D was on the field longer and was winded in the 4th thats why we won
so many games.Are D was rested and made the plays at the end..last year they didnt even with troy they would have lost..late in the 4th they couldnt keep up or make plays.

Shoes
04-18-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm sure we will pick up some beef for the OL in the draft. It will be interesting to see how the RB's pan out. We know Mendy will keep his position if he stays healthy but we do seem a bit thin with Moore, Summers, Redman and Vincent. Hopefully we'll pick up a good RB in the draft.

Psyychoward86
04-18-2010, 01:33 PM

And as I recall there are only a few select running play's in our scheme that are effective? Unless i have selective memory, i can remember a bunch of our running plays getting stopped for losses.

Somebody help me out here. How does running the ball more solve these problems ??

OMG NO WAY

wdsteel
04-18-2010, 01:41 PM
The playcalling....due to the WR's we had and like Harrison pointed out end of year..some players opted for stats instead of team play..and BA took out alot of the Power running plays out of the gameplan for Ben to go nuts with Ward,Holmes,Wallace,Miller...You will see a better running game this year even if we dont get alot of upgardes at OL or another alstar RB. We alrdy started with a better OL coach this year

dont get started on locker room drama about this but it ended right after Harrison and Clark's speaches on the matter..when i find the links ill post.

Prok
04-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't have a problem drafting OL early. But imo this team has more severe weaknesses. Especially in the secondary. There's no guarantee Troy stays healthy and i fear a Woodley or Harrison injury hurting our pass-rush as well.

But I think most can agree that we HAVE to upgrade at least 1 CB spot (imo both, lol).

That will probably require a 1st or 2nd round pick as after that it's pretty much hit n miss?

Steelerfreak58
04-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Maybe Ben running at the Defensive Line with his Little Ben out might open up some holes what do you all think!:chuckle:

We have to run the ball and be able to when we "need" to. 3 and 1 we should not be lining up in Shot gun formation only to have BB get sacked (ex. Clevland Browns game). Establishing the run early and dominating in that area opens up the rest of the field. Good solid playoff teams have both aspects we are close just need some fine tuning.

pete74
04-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't have a problem drafting OL early. But imo this team has more severe weaknesses. Especially in the secondary. There's no guarantee Troy stays healthy and i fear a Woodley or Harrison injury hurting our pass-rush as well.

But I think most can agree that we HAVE to upgrade at least 1 CB spot (imo both, lol).

That will probably require a 1st or 2nd round pick as after that it's pretty much hit n miss?

even if woodley or harrison went down we can replace them with timmons and play fox or foote at ILB

OneForTheToe
04-18-2010, 02:39 PM
How many positions do we have available for offensive line draftees on our team? Not many. Of course, if you take a player in the first or second round, you will always make room for that player somehow. Still, look at where we stand at the moment. All five starters will be back. Essex could be pushed out of the starting lineup, but the Steelers are not going to cut him because he can adequetly play four positions.

The Steelers really seem to like Foster and Legursky. We are not the Skins wherein we try and find shiny new toys every year. If the Steelers like a guys potential they usually give that player a few years to develop. So far that is seven positions out of a likely nine roster spots.

This leaves likely two spots for Urbik, Hills, Scott and any draftees to fight for. I would think Scott would make it and Urbik is likely to get at least one more year to prove himself. Hills is running out of time and is on the outside looking in. He only makes this team, imo, if he just busts lose this year.

If we draft an offensive linemen in the first round, maybe we make an extra spot by keeping 10, but otherwise it will be very difficult for any o' linemen to make this team not drafted in the first or second round.

wdsteel
04-18-2010, 02:49 PM
:wave: to Hills..we only need 1....a LT would move starks to RT Colon back to RG
Nice OL would be Bulaga..Kemo..Hartwig..Colon..Starks
1. need to trade up to get Bulaga
2.need another C soon draft and letem play on PS 1-2 years Hartwig huffing & puffing
3.Starks & Colon do a nice job where they are now but are beter fit where i put them..

steelreserve
04-18-2010, 03:55 PM

We do fine running the ball since we got rid of Parker. It's more like we have Alzheimer's -- we'll be running the ball well and then just drift off and abandon it in the middle of the game for no reason that I can tell. That's what we need to do better at.

JSH6487
04-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Just bring the god damn FB back into our offense and run some Power I.

Prok
04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Just bring the god damn FB back into our offense and run some Power I.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. lol

Prok
04-18-2010, 06:41 PM
We do fine running the ball since we got rid of Parker. It's more like we have Alzheimer's -- we'll be running the ball well and then just drift off and abandon it in the middle of the game for no reason that I can tell. That's what we need to do better at.

That's kinda the point i'm getting at. The play-calling HAS to improve or we're back in the same boat offensively imo. I don't think it's a matter of running the ball more per se.

But would you agree that often times our running play's get blown up in the backfield too?