PDA

View Full Version : NFL Robs Steelers and Seahawks

boltsrus
02-06-2006, 01:57 PM
The Seahawks are sure they were robbed by the refs... But all the controversy taints the Steelers greatness. There will never be a perfectly reffed game, but how about hiring full-time refs.

That should improve the quality of the game. Read on www.kutv.com/davidjames

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Sure the officiating wasnt good in the playoffs.. but we won the game damnit, inspite of the refs. I will not and I outright refuse to let anyone say our win was tainted by the officiating.

ColoradoSteelerFan
02-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Sure the officiating wasnt good in the playoffs.. but we won the game damnit, inspite of the refs. I will not and I outright refuse to let anyone say our win was tainted by the officiating.

AMEN! Great teams overcome the challenges that are presented to them. The Steelers were OBVIOUSLY robbed in Indianapolis when Polamalu's INT was reversed. This gave the Colts new life and a nenewed motivation. They went down and scored a TD. However, the Steelers refused to die. Yesterday, the Seahawks caved when the calls went against them.....most of them COMPLETELY legitimate. There were calls that the officials missed that would have hurt the Seahawks, as well. Several obvious holding calls they missed and the block in the back on Big Ben after his interception. Calls both good and bad are a part of EVERY SINGLE GAME in the NFL EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND.

Great teams overcome.....teams who aren't great don't. The Seahawks did not. Hmmmm.....

BigAL
02-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Yes, the Steelers won. But please don't say " in spite of the refs" . That implies that the refs made bad calls that impacted the the outcome of the game in favor of the Seahawks. And that my bumblebee colored friend just ain't how it happened.

Congrats on your fifth ( FIFTH! ) ring! See you in Miami !

AL

ColoradoSteelerFan
02-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I don't like all this complaining about the refs...

That holding call was a good call. You can't wrap your arm around a linebacker's neck from behind.

The OPI call was a good call. You can't push off--you might say it was ticky tacky, but pushing off is not only against the rules but officials were supposed to crack down on it this season. (It wasn't really a late flag either--if you watch the replay the back judge threw his arm up immediately, he just missed the flag the first time).

I didn't think Ben was in the end zone, but the replay was impossible to tell either way.

EXACTLY! Haggans had an arm wrapped around him while the defender was behind him. This is holding. It was only slightly less noticeable than when Haggans was tackled earlier in the game on a holding call.

SteelersWyo
02-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Bottom line. When a bad or iffy call is made against a team they have to respond by making other plays to compensate. Seattle had numerous chances to put the Steelers away ( seeing as how the offense could not do a thing in the first half), but failed to capitalize. If Seattle was rolling over Pittsburgh then the refs started taking it away from them and giving it to Pittsburgh you may have an arguement. But you don't.

Say it with me. SUPER BOWL CHAMPION PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Koopa
02-06-2006, 02:30 PM
great teams over come bad officiating, obviously the seahawks are just another good nfc team. we got much worse calls and non calls in the colts game then the seahawks did and we were still able to pull it off.

OX1947
02-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Look, I have been ranting all morning about the refs and how it is totally unfair that they are getting the shaft here. I had my beef in the Indy game like all of us because it was blanant calls that were not just missed but over turned. That TD catch does not happen if jackson doesnt extend his arm to create seperation, its total bullcrap if you think otherwise. Its a rule in the book that says a WR can not create separation by extending his arm to catch a ball. And on that holding call on Haggens, I was yelling for the holding before Matt passed the ball because they only showed the endzone angle on the right so you didnt see the RT holding the right side of Haggens shoulder pad. Had that RT not held Haggans, Haggans would have sacked him bad. Total hogwash to blame the refs.

TheButt
02-06-2006, 06:27 PM
The Seahawks are sure they were robbed by the refs... But all the controversy taints the Steelers greatness.

This is the best post game comment Ive read here yet.
This game leaves a bad taste in your mouth. if you say it didnt or doesnt.. your lying.

But you know what ? On opening day next year when the World Champions are introduced onto the field. None of that taste will remain.

Undeniable -- Undisputed -- THE best team in the NFL.

Sharkissle29
02-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I don't like all this complaining about the refs...

That holding call was a good call. You can't wrap your arm around a linebacker's neck from behind.

The OPI call was a good call. You can't push off--you might say it was ticky tacky, but pushing off is not only against the rules but officials were supposed to crack down on it this season. (It wasn't really a late flag either--if you watch the replay the back judge threw his arm up immediately, he just missed the flag the first time).

I didn't think Ben was in the end zone, but the replay was impossible to tell either way.
i agree...the ONLY call that can be argued is Bens TD, and hasselbacks personal foul (that was bs). but if hasselback doesnt make that penalty...it only makes ARE throw a longer TD. And if bens down at the 1 inch line, a QB sneak the next play meant 6. The media wants to stir something up bc to them it was a 'boring' superbowl. So they need the refs to pick on

melroseplace
02-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Madden himself commented that he did not see that as a holding penalty!

the person commenting on that article (the "unbiased" one) acts like if Madden says something, then that is final. even if he hadn't stated he wasn't a regular football watcher, that comment would make it obvious

EnglishSteeler
02-06-2006, 09:30 PM
The Seahawks are sure they were robbed by the refs... But all the controversy taints the Steelers greatness. There will never be a perfectly reffed game, but how about hiring full-time refs.

That should improve the quality of the game. Read on www.kutv.com/davidjames

I can safely say full time refs are not the way forward. I'm a big fan of Premiership football where refs have recently been made full time professionals. Now they seem to be competing with the players for star status giving ridiculous calls just because they know it will get them on the back page of the newspapers.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/images/articles/fixed/150/0/200513111292887.jpeg

That wasn't given as a goal last season (also cost my team a place in European cup football) and the linesman & ref got a huge amount of publicity for it. If they had video replays involved then it would have been given and Spurs would have beaten Man Utd.

The NFL can't learn or improve anything following the Premiership format, it should be the other way round.

MagicHawk
02-06-2006, 10:14 PM
I can safely say full time refs are not the way forward. I'm a big fan of Premiership football where refs have recently been made full time professionals. Now they seem to be competing with the players for star status giving ridiculous calls just because they know it will get them on the back page of the newspapers.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/images/articles/fixed/150/0/200513111292887.jpeg

That wasn't given as a goal last season (also cost my team a place in European cup football) and the linesman & ref got a huge amount of publicity for it. If they had video replays involved then it would have been given and Spurs would have beaten Man Utd.

The NFL can't learn or improve anything following the Premiership format, it should be the other way round.You do have to admit something needs to change though because this isn't an isolated event. This happened with too much frequency throughout all the playoffs if not the regular season to every team in both to be totally ignored. Little wonder people are questioning the intregrity of the league which only takes away from the Steelers win even when they won fair and square.

Sharkissle29
02-06-2006, 10:24 PM
You do have to admit something needs to change though because this isn't an isolated event. This happened with too much frequency throughout all the playoffs if not the regular season to every team in both to be totally ignored. Little wonder people are questioning the intregrity of the league which only takes away from the Steelers win even when they won fair and square.
True. What people need to realize is that it just wasnt the superbowl that had bad officiating. It almost seemed like every playoff game was bad. The only game with good officiating i thought was when we played Denver. Everything seemed pretty fair. I didnt pay a hole lot of attention to the NFC, but i hear it was just as bad there....either way we won, if seattle made a few plays they could have won. it wasnt bc of officiating

MagicHawk
02-06-2006, 10:30 PM
True. What people need to realize is that it just wasnt the superbowl that had bad officiating. It almost seemed like every playoff game was bad. The only game with good officiating i thought was when we played Denver. Everything seemed pretty fair. I didnt pay a hole lot of attention to the NFC, but i hear it was just as bad there....either way we won, if seattle made a few plays they could have won. it wasnt bc of officiatingThey had their mistakes in the NFC also but not quite at the level of the AFC in my opinion, especially the Indianapolis game. I do agree our loss was not due to bad officiating directly but it did alter the game at critical moments. Combine this with our mistakes it just guaranteed a loss of our own making.