PDA

View Full Version : TROY POLAMALU & HEATHER

wootawnee
04-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Why can't we hear stuff like this on the news about athletes?
No, we just hear about the stupid one.... aka, Michael Vick, Pacman
Jones, et al.

My fellow Steelers fans and those who might just appreciate a
good story...

I thought you all would like to know about this. There is a 10
year old little girl - Heather - she has Ewing's Sarcoma. She had
surgery on Monday to remove part of her lung, three ribs and part of a
few other ribs.

She is recovering now but Troy Polamalu (I know you all know
who he is) has been an angel in her life. She has been in and out of
the hospital and when Troy can be there, he goes to see her. They play
Guitar Hero and when he's not there, he texts her.

Before Monday's surgery, Heather got a surprise from him, he sent
her his jersey - signed - that he wore in the game against the Ravens.

I am forwarding you pictures of him playing guitar hero with
her. I thought you might enjoy it.

I just got another email that said he texted her twice that he
loves and misses her.

This is a very special guy, taking time out of his busy
schedule to bring sunshine into this little girls life.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f3fTVkavMVg/SZ68tl8tXII/AAAAAAAABN4/UFG06T5mPJE/s400/ATT4964713.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3649/3323549437_7fb43e6941.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3323549487_4648810f7c.jpg

Shea
04-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Actually, this story has been brought to the attention of the media.

Her name is Heather Miller - you'd think with that name Heath would be her favorite - but she loves Troy and Troy loves her back. He even brought her out to the team facilities to watch practices and texts her frequently, and also frequently visits her in the hospital.

She's a cutie pie and I pray she kicks her disease right in the ass!

whatdoiknow
04-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Yes she is sweet. I hope she gets better. And Troy is nice to share himself with her. But to be honest, most players do something like that. Even Ben has a history of doing alot with Childrens Hospital, and the Make a wish foundation.

Not that you will EVER hear the media talk about that/

steelerdude15
04-19-2010, 12:40 AM
That's really nice to hear and glad to see a Steeler making a difference in someone's life. We love you Troy. God bless you.

steelerdude15
04-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Not that you will EVER hear the media talk about that/
O of course not, they'll only focus on the bad.

polamalubeast
04-19-2010, 12:43 AM
polamalu=:hug::tt03:

mwittman5
04-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Thats just awesome, Troy is such a nice guy there was an article a few months ago about how he was signing autographs at an Arizona mall for free and then played a little game of football with some kids outside. Its good to see he doesnt let fame get to his head. and for heather, hopefully she overcomes her illness, steeler nation will be rooting for her :tt03:

Bigsteve332310
04-19-2010, 12:46 AM
A Bedford County girl who won the hearts of the region during her brave bout with cancer lost that battle Friday January 29th. Heather Miller of Osterberg was 11 years old when she succumbed to Ewing's Sarcoma, a rare
form of cancer.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/526559.html
RIP Heather

Shea
04-19-2010, 12:50 AM
A Bedford County girl who won the hearts of the region during her brave bout with cancer lost that battle Friday January 29th. Heather Miller of Osterberg was 11 years old when she succumbed to Ewing's Sarcoma, a rare
form of cancer.

RIP Heather

Oh god ..... :crying02:

RIP little angel.

mwittman5
04-19-2010, 12:50 AM
form of cancer.

RIP Heather

thats a shame. I'm sure troy was pretty bummed

Pittsky
04-19-2010, 01:04 AM
damn it. that's horrible news....RIP heather....i'm sure troy's broken up about it =[...

Sansi
04-19-2010, 01:21 AM
I always consider when I see things like this... Troy put himself in a situation to get very close to someone who was likely to die. Some of you may know the will this takes to follow through. It can be both heaven and hell on your heart. Everything we come to learn about him is more evidence that he is a kind and big-hearted person deserving of all the praise and fame he has earned. This is why I spend my money on merchandise and tickets (rare though it may be!). Everyone in this league has the means to make a difference - and very rarely does it have anything to do with money.

Shea
04-19-2010, 01:36 AM
LsU3OLNatFU
WkZdU7YhiyY
HnUSwQYg_2g

I've been so wrapped up in my disgust for Ben and how he treats not only women but men, fans, ect. - that I've lost sight of how wonderful our team the Steelers are.

Never met Heather, but long knew of her story and am so sad to hear of her passing. I literally have been crying for her and her family.

What a beautiful smile she had that lit up all around her.

Just wish tragedy wouldn't be able to touch the children in our world.

steelreserve
04-19-2010, 04:06 AM
... and people really don't understand the difference between this and a guy who takes advantage of drunk chicks in a bar bathroom.

"OMG, he's only 28!! What do you expect him to do, he's just living his life!!!"

This. Troy is the exact same age, believe it or not.

I cannot think of a more concrete example of exactly who I would want on my team for every reason in the world. It just sucks that this story had to have such a terrible outcome.

Preacher
04-19-2010, 04:20 AM
... and people really don't understand the difference between this and a guy who takes advantage of drunk chicks in a bar bathroom.

"OMG, he's only 28!! What do you expect him to do, he's just living his life!!!"

This. Troy is the exact same age, believe it or not.

I cannot think of a more concrete example of exactly who I would want on my team for every reason in the world. It just sucks that this story had to have such a terrible outcome.

I agree.

What a sad story first off. Second, it sure does show a difference between the two.

However, lest we forget,

http://kdka.com/steelers/Ben.Roethlisberger.Make.2.735572.html

Two years ago when I was there for a game, I was talking to another "Make a Wish" foundation family. They talked about how Ben came blasting through the doors like a professional wrestler, making a big scene... all for this little girl that was sick.

Galax Steeler
04-19-2010, 04:27 AM
Alot of guys take the time to do stuff like this shows alot of class.

Steelers>NFL
04-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Sad. RIP Heather.
Saddens me when I seen innocent little kids fighting diseases as such.
Glad to see that TP put a smile on here face. She could not have picked
a better person to idolize.

stillers4me
04-19-2010, 08:10 AM
I agree.

What a sad story first off. Second, it sure does show a difference between the two.

However, lest we forget,

http://kdka.com/steelers/Ben.Roethlisberger.Make.2.735572.html

Two years ago when I was there for a game, I was talking to another "Make a Wish" foundation family. They talked about how Ben came blasting through the doors like a professional wrestler, making a big scene... all for this little girl that was sick.

I'm glad you posted this, Preacher.

My niece was very ill with a serious infection last year and spent over a week in Childrens' Hospital in Pittsburgh. My brother asked on of the nurses if Troy had been in recently and she said "No, he's out of town for the summer but you just missed Ben. He was here yesterday.". That's why I don't believe that Ben is nearly quite as heartless as he is being portrayed by the media. (That's assuming he didn't molest any of the nurses while he was there. :chuckle:)

4xSBChamps
04-19-2010, 09:04 AM
3 years ago, my best friends' daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia (I posted a thread about this back-then, which I can't locate), and although she eventually lost her battle, she too, had a visit from Polamalu

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/NikkiDenikerTroyPolamalu.jpg

consistent class-acts by a class individual

realdeal
04-19-2010, 09:49 AM
I just cried reading this unbelievably sad story!!

How can anyone believe in a God when so many innocent children are dying in this world.

mwittman5
04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
I just cried reading this unbelievably sad story!!

How can anyone believe in a God when so many innocent children are dying in this world.

lets not ruin the thread and start a different topic. Polamalu is just a class act, glad hes a steeler

Preacher
04-19-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm glad you posted this, Preacher.

My niece was very ill with a serious infection last year and spent over a week in Childrens' Hospital in Pittsburgh. My brother asked on of the nurses if Troy had been in recently and she said "No, he's out of town for the summer but you just missed Ben. He was here yesterday.". That's why I don't believe that Ben is nearly quite as heartless as he is being portrayed by the media. (That's assuming he didn't molest any of the nurses while he was there. :chuckle:)

See, I don't think Ben is heartless. I just think that he really doesn't get it. That he thinks what he is doing is ok, and doesn't realize that in reality, the women are feeling very pressured.

However, I posted the above in fairness, because there is always a tendency to move to absolutes. Ben has done some great things too.

stillers4me
04-19-2010, 07:55 PM
See, I don't think Ben is heartless. I just think that he really doesn't get it. That he thinks what he is doing is ok, and doesn't realize that in reality, the women are feeling very pressured.

However, I posted the above in fairness, because there is always a tendency to move to absolutes. Ben has done some great things too.

I understand what you are getting at, Preacher. I'm just stating that with the allegations, the media as piled it thick and deep that Ben is a 100% total waste of human being and is rude to everybody he encounters. I bet those boys that he dished out $17,000 to in January to send them to a football tournament think he's pretty great.

steelerdave1969
04-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Actually, this story has been brought to the attention of the media.

Her name is Heather Miller - you'd think with that name Heath would be her favorite - but she loves Troy and Troy loves her back. He even brought her out to the team facilities to watch practices and texts her frequently, and also frequently visits her in the hospital.

She's a cutie pie and I pray she kicks her disease right in the ass!

Shea, some folks just dont get what life is all about and what Jesus wants us to do in life. Help the poor and needy is something that we all should do. Old people and Children that need the care is the ones that should get the special care and the rest like myself can take care of theirselves is my way of thinking.

PhantomJB93
04-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Thank god we have at least ONE class act on our team

Nadroj 20
04-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Troy is so awesome....I love hearing stories like this.

pittguy578
04-19-2010, 11:40 PM
I think Ben has a drinking problem..His behavior plus his face is getting puffy like an alcoholic. .I did similar things when I was in college and up into my mid 20's..,,no never rape, but random hookups and out of control behavior..blackouts..etc. You would not know me when I was drunk-I literally turned into a different person. He needs to go to rehab or make an announcement he is done with the bottle for good-that would be the only way to get back into the grace of the fans

Sansi
04-20-2010, 01:08 AM
I think Ben has a drinking problem..His behavior plus his face is getting puffy like an alcoholic. .I did similar things when I was in college and up into my mid 20's..,,no never rape, but random hookups and out of control behavior..blackouts..etc. You would not know me when I was drunk-I literally turned into a different person. He needs to go to rehab or make an announcement he is done with the bottle for good-that would be the only way to get back into the grace of the fans

Not to sully the thread with more Ben talk, but I think it is a maturity issue. His idea of fun seems to be drinking and sleeping with whomever will do so with him. Likely he was not always lucky with the ladies when he was younger, and is acting out now. In a way perhaps you are exactly right. If you can not go out to drink without becoming totally drunk, then yes that is a drinking problem.

But just to reiterate: Troy is quite possibly the most awesome player in the league, on and off field.

Steelers>NFL
04-20-2010, 08:59 AM

So it is ok to say that what Vick did with dogs was ok in his mind? And nothing wrong with this becuase it was the culture he grew up in? I think not.
Same for BB. Both are dumb a$$e$!

Steelers>NFL
04-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Troy is awesome!!!

LukesDad88
04-21-2010, 04:57 PM
But according to some, you can't have guys like Troy on the team. Quiet guys that seemingly always do not only the right thing, but go above and beyond. Guys like that don't exist, and if they do, they certainly can't be good football players...

Actually, I appreciate the positive stories posted about Ben, too.

solardave
04-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Thank You. Troy is my favorite Steeler on and off the field. He is a shining example of how to be in life.PERIOD!!!

solardave
04-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I only read the first page before I posted. I thought this had a happy ending. My heart goes out to her family but I know Troy made a big difference in her life. God bless him.