PDA

View Full Version : A loss is a loss

marksashton
02-06-2006, 01:49 PM
The refs made a difference - possibly a crucial difference - but ultimately the Seahawks did themselves in. If they caught the passes they should have caught they would have won the game. I don't think any impartial observer can walk away from watching that game and not think that Seattle is the better team but they still lost the game because of their own personal screwups. The fact that the Steelers defense didn't have much to do with the Hawks debacles makes no difference. The fact that the Seahawks defense outplayed the Pittsburgh defense makes no difference. Game over.

bozz723
02-06-2006, 02:18 PM
No, the seahawks really did not do anything to prove they were at all better. The fact of he matter is, if Ben lobs the ball to cedrick wilson instead of throwing it right to hernon, the game wouldnt have even been close. I assume the dropped passes you are refering to are Jerramy Stevens' drops. Well everytime he dropped the ball he got absolutely popped, so he should have dropped the ball.

The seahawks did nothing defensively, it was more Bens nerves , I think. However, Ben made the big play like all champions do and the Seahawks were unable to make the big play. For the record, the only call that was bad was the Hasselbeck personal foul, THATS IT.

Koopa
02-06-2006, 02:21 PM
hey great teams can over come bad officiating. so that tells you something about the hawks, we went through the same shit with the colts and we still came out on top, that just shows who the better team is

thumb 2 come
02-06-2006, 02:21 PM
For the record, the only call that was bad was the Hasselbeck personal foul, THATS IT.

That and the call they made for an incomplete pass that I believe Stevens dropped. He clearly had control then dropped the ball.

MattyD.
02-06-2006, 02:27 PM
That and the call they made for an incomplete pass that I believe Stevens dropped. He clearly had control then dropped the ball.

-Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Since when can you catch a ball, take three steps, get hit and lose the ball, and have it ruled as an incomplete pass? And the refs were cheating for the Steelers?? Come on Seahawk's, you wasted so many opportunities it was absurd!

L8R,
Matt D.

tony hipchest
02-06-2006, 02:32 PM
the better team would not let j. porter get into their head. the better team would not forget they had the league mvp and pass 49 times. the better team wouldve capitalized when they turned a potential 21-3 deficit to 14-10. regardless of officiating seattle had a chance, the parker run and the el pass were great coaching calls that seattle wasnt prepared for. steelers couldve been down by 2 td at half and still won.

marksashton
02-06-2006, 02:44 PM
No, the seahawks really did not do anything to prove they were at all better. The fact of he matter is, if Ben lobs the ball to cedrick wilson instead of throwing it right to hernon, the game wouldnt have even been close. I assume the dropped passes you are refering to are Jerramy Stevens' drops. Well everytime he dropped the ball he got absolutely popped, so he should have dropped the ball.

The seahawks did nothing defensively, it was more Bens nerves , I think. However, Ben made the big play like all champions do and the Seahawks were unable to make the big play. For the record, the only call that was bad was the Hasselbeck personal foul, THATS IT.

The Hawks did nothing defensively? So the fact that Pittsburgh couldn't run the ball - except for one big exception - was nothing? Seattle's defense dominated PIttsburgh's offensive game - passing and rushing. No question there.

Regarding bad calls...it's all in the eye of the beholder. The TD called back b/c of the "push-off" was very very very close. Show me any reasonably contested TD pass where the defender and receiver aren't in contact. I think the Seattle receiver had his hand on the defender but I didn't see any push off.

The holding call that cost Seattle another TD was even more iffy. There is a lot of pushing and grabbing in football. The refs decided to call some pretty ticky tacky penalties on the Seahawks and none on Pittsburgh.

Bottom line: Seattle loss.

marksashton
02-06-2006, 02:46 PM
hey great teams can over come bad officiating. so that tells you something about the hawks, we went through the same shit with the colts and we still came out on top, that just shows who the better team is

The difference between the Seattle game and the Colts game is that the Seahawks were beating Pittsburgh on the field. In the Colts game, Pittsburgh was beating the Colts. The bad calls in the Colts game made it closer than it should have been. The bad calls in the Seahawks game were a significant (but maybe not decisive) factor in Seattle losing the game.

marksashton
02-06-2006, 02:48 PM
-Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Since when can you catch a ball, take three steps, get hit and lose the ball, and have it ruled as an incomplete pass? And the refs were cheating for the Steelers?? Come on Seahawk's, you wasted so many opportunities it was absurd!

L8R,
Matt D.

I agree with that. I think he had posession. By the time that happened the Seahawks should have been up by 10.

Atlanta Dan
02-06-2006, 02:50 PM
The better team is whichever team wins the game. I believe that is why they keep score- this isn't figure skating.

The Cowher Steelers may have been the "better team" in their playoff losses to San Diego, Dallas, Denver, and New England (twice) but they lost the games and had to deal with the consequences. The Seahawks can now do the same.

83-Steelers-43
02-06-2006, 02:51 PM
I agree with that. I think he had posession. By the time that happened the Seahawks should have been up by 10.

Yeah, If Stevens could catch a football and also stay in bounds there is a good chance they would have been up by ten. But, the talent wasn't there. Or did the refs also make him drop the ball and also make him catch passes out of bounds?

MattyD.
02-06-2006, 02:51 PM
-Seattle DID beat the Steelers. Between the 30 yard lines, but not where it counted most. Stats don't mean jack except for the final score. Look at that poor game against the new Texans. Statistically the Steelers beat the crap out of the Texans. But when you see all the points from turnovers, the Texans won the game.

L8R,
Matt D.

bozz723
02-06-2006, 02:59 PM
The better team is whichever team wins the game. I believe that is why they keep score- this isn't figure skating.

The Cowher Steelers may have been the "better team" in their playoff losses to San Diego, Dallas, Denver, and New England (twice) but they lost the games and had to deal with the consequences. The Seahawks can now do the same.

Exactly.

TexaSteeler
02-06-2006, 03:18 PM
If both teams were misake free, Seahawks still would've lost. Ward had easy dropped passes too, one for a TD. Ben's goal line INT was just as boneheaded. Hence eliminate those and it's still no contest.

steelersgirl86
02-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Bottom line we got the win....it is not like we only won by 3...they had no chance and are whining....no matter what the score, or what the calls they would of found excuses somewhere.....

melroseplace
02-06-2006, 04:04 PM
The better team is whichever team wins the game.

exactly.

melroseplace
02-06-2006, 04:05 PM
lol I just realized someone else posted the exact thing I just did...sorry :dang:

ColoradoSteelerFan
02-06-2006, 04:19 PM
The refs made a differenced - possibly a crucial difference - but ultimately the Seahawks did themselves in. If they caught the passes they should have caught they would have won the game. I don't think any impartial observer can walk away from watching that game and not think that Seattle is the better team but they still lost the game because of their own personal screwups. The fact that the Steelers defense didn't have much to do with the Hawks debacles makes no difference. The fact that the Seahawks defense outplayed the Pittsburgh defense makes no difference. Game over.

Yeah....the 3 sacks and the interception to prevent a TD had nothing to do with preventing the Seahawks from scoring more than 10 points....18 points below their average. The Seahawks averaged 1 yard LESS per play than did the Steelers. No....the Steelers defense had nothing to do with that.

...in the end, the Seahawks simply lost the game. The Steelers did nothing....deserve nothing....its ALL on Seattle.

....WOW! :rolleyes:

Hammer67
02-06-2006, 04:37 PM
The difference between the Seattle game and the Colts game is that the Seahawks were beating Pittsburgh on the field. In the Colts game, Pittsburgh was beating the Colts. The bad calls in the Colts game made it closer than it should have been. The bad calls in the Seahawks game were a significant (but maybe not decisive) factor in Seattle losing the game.

This is the most pathetic "sore loser" crap that I have ever heard.:rolleyes: Seahawks a better team? How do explain the crappy penalties? How does a championship team allow a third and 28 play to convert? Shaun Alexander didn't have a 100 game and wasn't a factor. Superior teams don't drop balls in the Super Bowl. Obviously your "superior" team didn't watch much film on the Steelers in preperation as the El to Ward TD was the same play the Steelers used to smoke the Browns near the end of the season....How do you not know that was coming???!!!

Ben had an off day, but Seattle still couldn't capitalize. Steelers are the better team and the SB champions. Beat the 1, 2 and 3 AFC seeds and the 1 NFC seed to make history and win the SB.

Come on man, I know being in the SB is new to Seattle fans, but learn to lose graciously and give respect.

marksashton
02-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Yeah....the 3 sacks and the interception to prevent a TD had nothing to do with preventing the Seahawks from scoring more than 10 points....18 points below their average. The Seahawks averaged 1 yard LESS per play than did the Steelers. No....the Steelers defense had nothing to do with that.

...in the end, the Seahawks simply lost the game. The Steelers did nothing....deserve nothing....its ALL on Seattle.

....WOW! :rolleyes:

Actually, that's not what I said. Pittsburgh's defense is good. Maybe great.

marksashton
02-06-2006, 05:13 PM
This is the most pathetic "sore loser" crap that I have ever heard.:rolleyes: Seahawks a better team? How do explain the crappy penalties? How does a championship team allow a third and 28 play to convert? Shaun Alexander didn't have a 100 game and wasn't a factor. Superior teams don't drop balls in the Super Bowl. Obviously your "superior" team didn't watch much film on the Steelers in preperation as the El to Ward TD was the same play the Steelers used to smoke the Browns near the end of the season....How do you not know that was coming???!!!

Ben had an off day, but Seattle still couldn't capitalize. Steelers are the better team and the SB champions. Beat the 1, 2 and 3 AFC seeds and the 1 NFC seed to make history and win the SB.

Come on man, I know being in the SB is new to Seattle fans, but learn to lose graciously and give respect.

A couple of comments:

1. You can't ignore the Seahawks goofs. As Hasselbeck, Pittsburgh played well enough to win and Seattle didn't. The dropped balls were enough to cost them the game. They hadn't done that all year. The Pittsburgh defense was certainly a factor but some of those were just failures to make a play that they normally make. Strike against Seattle.

2. The 3rd and 28 was...how shall I say it?...one of those things that happens even to good teams. But it still a screw up.

3. I think Ben had an off day because the Seattle defense shut down Pittsburgh's running game and passing game in the early part of the game. They're very very good at protecting the run and they're pretty good at protecting the pass. They really missed their first string CB Hamlin yesterday...

4. I respect the Steelers. They won and deserve it - with an asterix b/c of the officiating. But the bad officiating wouldn't have made any difference if Seattle didn't screw themselves.

ColoradoSteelerFan
02-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Actually, that's not what I said. Pittsburgh's defense is good. Maybe great.

No...this is what you said exactly:

The fact that the Steelers defense didn't have much to do with the Hawks debacles makes no difference. The fact that the Seahawks defense outplayed the Pittsburgh defense makes no difference. Game over.

What I'm telling you is that the Seahawks defense did not outplay the Steeler defense and that the Steelers did do something with the Hawks debacles....they held them to 10 points! EIGHTEEN FRIGGIN' POINTS BELOW THEIR AVERAGE!

....what more did you want them to do? The Steelers' defense did what they had to do to keep the Seahawks out of the endzone....and enough to post an 11 point victory.

....DEAL WITH IT!

....good grief, this is getting annoying! :rolleyes:

Koopa
02-06-2006, 05:58 PM

it wasn't the refs fault ya'lls soft tightend dropped all those passes, it wasn't the refs fault matt threw a pick, and just cause it happened after a penalty don't mean nothing, matt is supposed to be one of the best in the league so that wasn't the refs fault. ya'll had plenty of chances to get it done but ya'll choked when it mattered while the steelers stepped up when it matter

OX1947
02-06-2006, 07:44 PM
That was a push off and that was a holding. PERIOD. Whether it was a little or alot, jackson created separation by extending his arm to catch the ball. I have seen that penalty many times. The RT held haggans, I dont know why they kept showing the angle from the right side, had they shown it from the normal view you could see him holding Haggans jersey on his shoulder pad, I was calling it before Matt threw the ball. The ben TD could have been a no TD, but do you honestly think Cowher woudlnt have gone for it on the half inch line with a 6'5 QB? Hasslebacks block was dumb but if steeler fans remember, we actually got called on that in a game this year. The rule is enforced harshly because they dont want guys getting clipped in the knees.

The situation is a microcosm of socitey. Blame everyone for not getting what you want. I think the refs did a good job and it sucks they are getting shaft like this.

Portland Hawk Fan
02-06-2006, 08:17 PM
The refs made a differenced - possibly a crucial difference - but ultimately the Seahawks did themselves in. If they caught the passes they should have caught they would have won the game. I don't think any impartial observer can walk away from watching that game and not think that Seattle is the better team but they still lost the game because of their own personal screwups. The fact that the Steelers defense didn't have much to do with the Hawks debacles makes no difference. The fact that the Seahawks defense outplayed the Pittsburgh defense makes no difference. Game over.

Thanks Mark- you're 100% right.

I knew Stevens was soft all along. I wonder what NFL Player clued Porter in. What sucks is Stevens outplayed Porter by a country mile, but no one will remember this.

Steve_Courson's_Liver
02-06-2006, 08:32 PM
What sucks is Stevens outplayed Porter by a country mile, but no one will remember this.

It would suck if it were true... but Stevens had 3-4 drops and a easy TD... that he appeared to have to watch into his hands and pray he caught it.

The never ran to Porter's side... when they did it was stuffed. He held his gaps and did his job... something a neophyte fan who probably bought his seahawk jersey 2 weeks ago would not understand.

Bottom line is that in 5 years people remember the 75 yard TD run and El's touchdown pass... and possibly Ben's 3rd and 28 conversion, and that this was Lombardi trophy number 5 of 7 in Pittsburgh's history.... not the refs.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2006, 08:32 PM
We spent the entire postseason overcoming bad officiating.. we're used to it by now !

marksashton
02-06-2006, 09:50 PM
No...this is what you said exactly:

What I'm telling you is that the Seahawks defense did not outplay the Steeler defense and that the Steelers did do something with the Hawks debacles....they held them to 10 points! EIGHTEEN FRIGGIN' POINTS BELOW THEIR AVERAGE!

....what more did you want them to do? The Steelers' defense did what they had to do to keep the Seahawks out of the endzone....and enough to post an 11 point victory.

....DEAL WITH IT!

....good grief, this is getting annoying! :rolleyes:

Is that 18 points before or after the deductions from the refs?

Hey congratulations to the Steelers, winners of Superbowl XL *

83-Steelers-43
02-06-2006, 10:12 PM
:crying01: :crying01: :crying01: :crying01: :crying01: :crying01: :crying01: :crying01: :crying01: :crying01:

marksashton
02-06-2006, 10:44 PM
the better team would not let j. porter get into their head. the better team would not forget they had the league mvp and pass 49 times. the better team wouldve capitalized when they turned a potential 21-3 deficit to 14-10. regardless of officiating seattle had a chance, the parker run and the el pass were great coaching calls that seattle wasnt prepared for. steelers couldve been down by 2 td at half and still won.

I'm sorry but...do you really think Porter got into anyone's head? That's high school stuff. Stevens choked but I seriously doubt that Porter had anything to do with it. As I've said before, Porter is over rated and was pretty much a non-factor in the game. What did he do last week besides talk a lot? I'm sure he's a good player - I don't get to see him play often - but he wasn't very impressive last night.

marksashton
02-06-2006, 10:46 PM
If both teams were misake free, Seahawks still would've lost. Ward had easy dropped passes too, one for a TD. Ben's goal line INT was just as boneheaded. Hence eliminate those and it's still no contest.

Nice try. The Seahawks "errors" - even if you include the questionable penalties - cost them two TD's. What did ward's drops cost Pittsburgh? Ben's goal line INT was no more or less boneheaded that Hasselbeck's late in the game.

I.C. Lights
02-06-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry but...do you really think Porter got into anyone's head? That's high school stuff. Stevens choked but I seriously doubt that Porter had anything to do with it. As I've said before, Porter is over rated and was pretty much a non-factor in the game. What did he do last week besides talk a lot? I'm sure he's a good player - I don't get to see him play often - but he wasn't very impressive last night.

That's funny because I thought high school stuff was more like using astericks when you're unable to cope with your team losing. :tap:

bozz723
02-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Nice try. The Seahawks "errors" - even if you include the questionable penalties - cost them two TD's. What did ward's drops cost Pittsburgh? Ben's goal line INT was no more or less boneheaded that Hasselbeck's late in the game.

No, you still got 3 points out of your blatant pass interference penalty. So it's not like you got shutout that drive. Ben's int was a "mistake" but we still overcame the momentum shift and won the game. That is what all champions do, they weather the momentum shifts and win the game, thusly becoming champions.

The seahawks were not a champion type team, that is why they are not champions. Say what you want about the "questionable" calls, but they were all good calls. Nobody talks about Jerramy Stevens fumble, or the constant holding the entire game. If every single break went Seattles way, the Steelers would still be champions, because we are champions.

SUPER BOWL XL VICTORS- BECAUSE WE ARE CHAMPIONS.

:sign08: :sign08: :sign08: :sign08: :sign08: :sign08: :sign08: :sign08: :sign08: :sign08: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2006, 03:26 AM
OH FOR SHIT SAKE CAN YOU ALL PLEASE STOP THIS NON SENSE.. YOU LOST THE DAMN GAME..GIVE A REST !

BITCHING ABOUT IT ISNT GONNA DO ANY GOOD. WE HAVE THE LOMBARDI TROPHY, ITS IN PITTSBURGH, AND WE ARE THE WORLD CHAMPIONS...

DEAL WITH IT!!!

SteelCityMan786
02-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Hey Thread Creator WE EARNED THE SUPER BOWL! Every team from Super Bowl I-XL Earned It.

Hammer67
02-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Is that 18 points before or after the deductions from the refs?

Hey congratulations to the Steelers, winners of Superbowl XL *

Does that mean we get an * too because of overcoming the poor officiating in the Colts game? Oh wait, nevermind...great teams overcome poor officiating to win. SO, we don't need the *.:rolleyes:

Hammer67
02-07-2006, 07:20 PM

Clearly you didn't watch many of the postseason games this season...try the NFL network or ESPN once and awhile. I think you might catch a highlight or two of Porter from the AFC Divisional game against the Colts, especially since it is considered the best game in this years playoffs...

:rolleyes: again...

Hammer67
02-07-2006, 07:23 PM
You know it is quite a shame that some folks can't let go. But, I do have to admit that there would be Steeler fans still bitching if the Colts game got away. Unfortunately there are some vocal sore loser fans of every team. Guess we have to deal but as every analyst has said, poor officiating aside, the Steelers still made more plays to win the game.

The Steelers won by 11 points when they had an "off" day!!!!:sofunny:

Stlrs4Life
02-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Seattle was not the better team on Sunday. Our Defense dominated you. Seattle had great field position the entire first Qtr. And only 3 points to show. Championship teams make the plays when they have . The Steelers did just that.