PDA

View Full Version : Sweed Statement.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-19-2010, 10:27 AM
And the plot thickens.This is really unusual. Something seems to be happeneing behind the scenes that we are not aware of.

STATEMENT FROM WIDE RECEIVER LIMAS SWEED

“I am excited to be back on the field and back in the locker room with my teammates. I appreciate all the support I received from the Steelers organization while I dealt with some personal issues at the end of the 2009 season. I have been working diligently and I am focused on the remainder of the offseason in getting myself prepared to have a great 2010 season.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Limas-Sweed-Statement/4b41d2c9-a0b3-4734-8270-ef28cdbf1474

whatdoiknow
04-19-2010, 10:32 AM
And the plot thickens.This is really unusual. Something seems to be happeneing behind the scenes that we are not aware of.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Limas-Sweed-Statement/4b41d2c9-a0b3-4734-8270-ef28cdbf1474

" Lather-Rinse-Repeat " " Lather-Rinse-Repeat " " Lather-Rinse-Repeat ":blah::blah:

Shoes
04-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Sweeds personal issues are none of our business.....

This place is starting to get like the grocery-store tabloid section..

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-19-2010, 10:41 AM

This place is staring to get like the grocery-store tabloid section..

Okay, but don't you find it interesting that out of the blue Sweed makes a statement this morning???

If anything it makes me hopefull that Sweed will finally break out of his funk.

Shoes
04-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Okay, but don't you find it interesting that out of the blue Sweed makes a statement this morning???

If anything it makes me hopefull that Sweed will finally break out of his funk.

I think Sweed will have a break-out season. He already proved he can get open, block and has made some tough catches. I'm up on the kid! :tt:

vasteeler
04-19-2010, 11:03 AM
SWEEEEEEED:tt04::tt02::helmet::tt:

KeiselPower99
04-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Only thing Sweed needs to do is CATCH THE DAMN BALL!!!!! He has all the tools and talent to be a top WR in the NFL. Whatever the personal problems he had is his and his families personal business.

stillers4me
04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
I only hope for the very best for the kid..........he knows his time is now more than ever.

tunes4life
04-19-2010, 11:12 AM
I think Sweed will have a break-out season. He already proved he can get open, block and has made some tough catches. I'm up on the kid! :tt:

I have a good feeling about the kid. He's going to have even more pressure on him this year because it will be a make or break year for him. Plus you know that KC is going to be getting a couple of receivers in the later rounds (I'd bet 4-7 somewhere) to ignite the camp fires a bit.

I really hope he comes out and starts making a name for himself. I have faith in the kid. He had some mad skills in college and then just all-of-a-sudden didn't look like himself. He has a chance (albeit slim) of moving into the top 3 this year on this team. I hope he takes advantage of it and makes something of himself. :tt:

Men of Steel
04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
its amazing how so many ppl have sweeds back despite so many unsuccessful seasons!

im a believer in sweed as well, it just surprises me, because i cant recall the last time so many people still had high hopes for a steeler player even though they hadnt done much to prove themselves for their first 3 seasons.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Honestly, I expect more of the same from him and believe he will be cut this season...

I believe he has issues (mental health) and also lacks something deep in his heart to be an NFL football player. I wish him well, but I want WR's on this team who can catch the ball. Sweed hasn't even shown an understanding of his position to this point... I don't see that suddenly changing.

vasteeler
04-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Honestly, I expect more of the same from him and believe he will be cut this season...

I believe he has issues (mental health) and also lacks something deep in his heart to be an NFL football player. I wish him well, but I want WR's on this team who can catch the ball. Sweed hasn't even shown an understanding of his position to this point... I don't see that suddenly changing.

i disagree i think he does have an understanding of his position.he ran clean routes and could get open. He just couldnt catch the ball

BlastFurnace
04-19-2010, 11:41 AM
We are all pulling for you Limas.

whatdoiknow
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
You know, it wouldn't surprise me IF Limas actually had a decent turn around this season...ONLY because it is his free agent season. Then we sign him to a nice new HIGH Dollar deal...and he goes right back to
Mr. I drop EVERYTHING Sweed.

BritishSteel
04-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Is it just me who looked at the title of this thread and thought 'Good God Ben, NOW what have you done?'

Best of luck to Limas - I hope his head is on straight and that he starts to make serious progress. The off-season acquisition of two wideouts suggests that the Coaching staff don't have much faith, but here's hoping they're wrong.

mulldog24
04-19-2010, 11:54 AM
I hope Sweed is able to put everything behind him and have a good season, we all go through tough times and we really don't know what he has had to deal with. Go get em SWEED!!!! I do like the way he has a knack for getting good separation and his route running. If the kid can put it all together then I feel he can be a solid WR with his size and speed.

steelreserve
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Well, I hope he can back up his words and actually turn things around. The last thing we need on our team is a bipolar chick with bad hands.

devilsdancefloor
04-19-2010, 12:27 PM
i hope he has a good camp and year:tt03::tt03::tt03:

Pi Kapp Steeler
04-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I mean the door is open for him to perform now that Santo is gone. Position battle for 3WR.

Dino 6 Rings
04-19-2010, 12:40 PM
its amazing how so many ppl have sweeds back despite so many unsuccessful seasons!

im a believer in sweed as well, it just surprises me, because i cant recall the last time so many people still had high hopes for a steeler player even though they hadnt done much to prove themselves for their first 3 seasons.

Ok, I like the Avatar but your making a very inacurate statement. I'll explain:

Sweed has had 2 seasons since joining the Steelers. His rookie season was full of memorable drops, his 2nd season was a total mess.

So 2 seasons. Drafted in 08. So he played the 08 and 09 seasons.

Next.

Lets look at our draft pics over the last few years shall we?

Last year, Evander Hood, Played in 6 games his rookie year. Not an impact his first season at all.
Kraig Urbik...Who?
Mike Wallace, Yes a Diamond in the Rough, awesome pick up. No one saw it coming however. Except me, cause I knew the kid was FAST since I watch SEC Football.
Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett, (aren't we talking about drafting a CB in the first round this year? Yeah, they appear to have panned out huh?)

Mendenhall, Hurt in his first game rookie year, break out 2nd season.
Sweed, explained above.
Bruce Davis..GONE
Tony Hills...yeah ok
Dennis Dixon, potential diamond.

Timmons, wasn't Foote just brought back to take over for the guy that was supposed take his spot?
Woodley, Best play drafted for the defense since Troy.
Spaeth...could exist without him on the roster at this point.
Sepulveda, didn't we win a super bowl while he was on the sidelines hurt?

Holmes, his Rookie year was nothing, his biggest play of the season was the last game in OT against the Bengals to knock them out of the playoff race. That was it his rookie year.
Anthony (gaurentee) Smith...bye bye
Willie Ried...who?
Willie Colon....sigh
Orien Harris? Who?

Heath Miller (Stud)
McFadden, Yeah, great for a couple years.
Trai Essex...sigh
Fred Gibson...who?
Rian Wallace...too bad it wasn't Mike Wallace back then.
Kemoeatu...great sneaky late pick.

04...Ben.
Colclough
Starks
Adibi...he ain't got no Alibi.

So really, going into his 3rd year Sweed isn't a total bust at this point when compared to the way our draft picks have panned out historically. This is an important year for him sure, and we want him to succeed, but You can NOT call Bust at this point. Not yet anyway.

Dino 6 Rings
04-19-2010, 12:48 PM
See, the key about drafting guys to the NFL is say you have 8 picks, you're lucky if 2 of them are actual impact players. And that's hoping the 1st round guy pans out and some late pick steps up.

That's about it, if you have say 10 picks you are drafting for depth, back ups, later on, and hope you get some really good future stars, but not for that season. Detriot didn't draft that kid out of Georgia as QB to win the superbowl last year, they are rebuilding.

We didn't even draft Ben to get us to the AFC Title game in 04, we were relying on Maddox at that time, but he got hurt, so Ben HAD TO Play.

I just think, people have this notion that "all the Steelers draft picks are awesome" When really, they aren't. Sometimes we get very lucky (WOODLEY) and sometimes we miss the boat completely, Anthony Smith.

So we have to just be patient, let the guys develop into our system and into the NFL Style of the Game. Its more than just "going to class" and not getting in trouble on Campus to play at this level, and some kids need a year or two to adjust. Hopefully...Sweed can finally make the adjustment, or he's gone.

GodfatherofSoul
04-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Which is why I never get excited about the draft. You just never know how a 22 year old kid is going to react to having millions dumped in his lap AND having to work his butt off harder than he's ever had to in his life without his coaches babysitting him.

7willBheaven
04-19-2010, 01:25 PM
You know, it wouldn't surprise me IF Limas actually had a decent turn around this season...ONLY because it is his free agent season. Then we sign him to a nice new HIGH Dollar deal...and he goes right back to
Mr. I drop EVERYTHING Sweed.

I think your wrong...Mendy and Sweed both signed 5 year deals when they were drafted that year...this is Sweeds 3rd year.

7willBheaven
04-19-2010, 01:30 PM

2 years is nothing...you act like he's had 5-6 years of crappy seasons. And we believe in him because we have seen what he can do. In college...also in preseason when he gets more playing time he has made some awesome catches. When you dont see the field much during the regular season...how are you suppose to get out there and improve and get in a rhythm. He has caught 7 passes during the reg season and been thrown to no more than probably 12 times...a few of those passes werent catchable...the others were. Santonio had the drops at times last year (probably dropped more than Sweed has), yet he still got the playing time, etc. I think if Sweed can get some regular playing time he will do just fine.

Men of Steel
04-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Ok, I like the Avatar but your making a very inacurate statement. I'll explain:

Sweed has had 2 seasons since joining the Steelers. His rookie season was full of memorable drops, his 2nd season was a total mess.

So 2 seasons. Drafted in 08. So he played the 08 and 09 seasons.

ok. yes 2 seasons! i got ahead of myself there.
( i guess with so many BIG drops... it just seemed like ALOT longer) :noidea:

kirklandrules
04-19-2010, 02:03 PM

I totally disagree with this. If he lacked heart to be in the NFL the Steelers would have sh!t canned him already. Last year, during camp, we read story after story about how much effort and how well Sweed performed. It's 100% mental. If he catches those big passes he dropped the past two years, no one would be questioning his heart ... they'd be talking about what a stud he is.

I heard he did this same thing at Texas. He lacked confidence and struggled, then the school worked to build his confidence and he was a success. Let's just hope his time off was spent in a productive manner ... maybe with Ward talking in his ear, coaching him along. 6' 5" 230lbs and consistently getting behind coverage ... I'm hoping he gets his confidence up this year and starts making those catches. If he does, we'll be asking "Santonio who?".

LukesDad88
04-19-2010, 02:28 PM

My bet is he was assaulted by Ben.

HometownGal
04-19-2010, 02:56 PM

This place is starting to get like the grocery-store tabloid section..

Or the beauty parlor with all of the blue hairs gossiping while they sit under the dryer with a bazillion rollers in their hair. :yawn:

pancake
04-19-2010, 04:20 PM
My bet is he was assaulted by Ben.

You beat me to it... :applaudit: :toofunny:

On a serious note, I think Sweed has the tools and I think (hope) he puts it together this year.

pete74
04-19-2010, 04:26 PM
2 years is nothing...you act like he's had 5-6 years of crappy seasons. And we believe in him because we have seen what he can do. In college...also in preseason when he gets more playing time he has made some awesome catches. When you dont see the field much during the regular season...how are you suppose to get out there and improve and get in a rhythm. He has caught 7 passes during the reg season and been thrown to no more than probably 12 times...a few of those passes werent catchable...the others were. Santonio had the drops at times last year (probably dropped more than Sweed has), yet he still got the playing time, etc. I think if Sweed can get some regular playing time he will do just fine.

college is a different game. troy edwards was awesome in college then we drafted him in the 1st round and he was a bust

CargoJon
04-19-2010, 04:29 PM
I thought we were so lucky to get Mendy in the first and Sweed in the second that year. Imagine if D. Jackson had fallen to us......yikes.

Please, Limas - prove me right..

T&B fan
04-19-2010, 04:29 PM
i disagree i think he does have an understanding of his position.he ran clean routes and could get open. He just couldnt catch the ball

hes open do to the D not haveing to cover him, if you can't catch the ball then let him run all the open routes he can :wave:

PhantomJB93
04-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Sweed would be AMAZING if he could CATCH A GODDAMN BALL, but unfortunately he can't and that single quality pretty much decides whether or not you are a good WR...maybe we should try switching him to CB lol:chuckle:

STEELAMANIA
04-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Just throw it to Sweed!

fansince'76
04-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Just throw it to Sweed!

SWEEEEEEEEEED!

:chuckle:

AllD
04-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Sweed is just another controversial WR we drafted. Mike Wallace is the first WR in a long time that actually made an impact without breaking the law, violating an NFL conduct policy, or imploded.

We should avoid drafting any WRs in the first 4 rounds this season because it's not worth the headaches.

ETL
04-19-2010, 06:00 PM
I think Sweed underwent a hysterectomy and needed the time to recover. Hopefully, he's healed by now

Men of Steel
04-19-2010, 06:14 PM
well sweed seems to be doin better... he is at the voluntary workouts.
this pic from the week of April 12.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t110/EJ_12/2010_Garrett_Giemont_Limas_Sweed_02.jpg

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-19-2010, 07:14 PM

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t110/EJ_12/2010_Garrett_Giemont_Limas_Sweed_02.jpg

Hope he doesn't drop that...

chitownpit
04-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Only thing Sweed needs to do is CATCH THE DAMN BALL!!!!! He has all the tools and talent to be a top WR in the NFL. Whatever the personal problems he had is his and his families personal business.

you hit the nail on the head. he allways seems one step behind a serious lack of concentration. but look at his tools,he is a starting wr maybe tomlin should use the speach he used on rasshard last year to wake him up:drink:

LVSteelersfan
04-20-2010, 03:08 PM
What the heck are all you Sweed haters talking about? He has barely had a dozen passes thrown to him and YES HE CAUGHT SOME PASSES. Two very visible drops of catchable passes does not make someone a bust. Wallace came in last year and just totally surprised everyone and took his spot away. Holmes dropped plenty of passes over the years. He just made a few game breaking catches that make him look better than he actually was. I think he ran as many wrong routes that ended up as INTs as big catches in his time here. We are going to lose Hines and we need some young receiver to start showing he can play. My money is on Sweed to get his head out and start playing like some of us are sure he can.

plenewken
04-20-2010, 04:25 PM

I can say from looking at this picture that Sweed was working out and looked buff. Not the case with (fat) Ben who, the same day, was listening to the DA regarding one of his shenanigans. <sigh>
I think Sweed will do fine next season, I really do.

Steelerfreak58
04-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Sweed caught an extremely important 3rd down conversion for us a couple years ago when we were marching in the playoffs to the SB if I remember correct one that kept a late 4th qtr scoring drive alive. He has dropped 2 passes for possibly huge gains but other then that most of the tools on this board want him fired for basically no real shot or chance to show his worth on a regular or consistent basis.

LukesDad88
04-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Sweed caught an extremely important 3rd down conversion for us a couple years ago when we were marching in the playoffs to the SB if I remember correct one that kept a late 4th qtr scoring drive alive. He has dropped 2 passes for possibly huge gains but other then that most of the tools on this board want him fired for basically no real shot or chance to show his worth on a regular or consistent basis.

I'm pretty sure you're mixing it up with Nate Washington in the run up to SB XXL.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 07:58 PM
When you're pathetic enough to fake an injury after dropping a touchdown pass to try and get sympathy and save yourself the embarrassment ...I could see why some people, including myself will never like Sweed.

tony hipchest
04-20-2010, 08:04 PM
When you're pathetic enough to fake an injury after dropping a touchdown pass to try and get sympathy and save yourself the embarrassment ...I could see why some people, including myself will never like Sweed.atleast he didnt try to stick his dick inside the ball in a public restroom and then get suspended.. now that would be pathetic. :noidea:

nice sig...

Leftoverhard
04-20-2010, 08:11 PM
atleast he didnt try to stick his dick inside the ball in a public restroom and then get suspended.. now that would be pathetic. :noidea:

nice sig...

Hey - it's only April, you just wait... :chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
04-20-2010, 08:56 PM
When you're pathetic enough to fake an injury after dropping a touchdown pass to try and get sympathy and save yourself the embarrassment ...I could see why some people, including myself will never like Sweed.

Why would you want to continue to hold a grudge over something so minor? I guess you are one of those who can't get it through their heads that players are people. They have emotions. Sweed has done nothing to deserve the reputation you so called Steeler fans have labeled him with. The coaches know more about players than all of the message board geniuses ever will. Get real and support the players or go root for Al Davis and company. I heard all of their players are perfect. The Ratbirds are always looking for some bandwagon jumpers. Or you can go party it up with the Chowda Heads. Give the kid a chance.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Why would you want to continue to hold a grudge over something so minor? I guess you are one of those who can't get it through their heads that players are people. They have emotions. Sweed has done nothing to deserve the reputation you so called Steeler fans have labeled him with. The coaches know more about players than all of the message board geniuses ever will. Get real and support the players or go root for Al Davis and company. I heard all of their players are perfect. The Ratbirds are always looking for some bandwagon jumpers. Or you can go party it up with the Chowda Heads. Give the kid a chance.

Didn't say I wouldn't root for the kid...all I care about is how productive the players are on the field and if he's productive, I'll support him 100% just like I do for Ben. Just saying, there's pretty much nothing that you can do on the actual football field that's worse than to clearly fake an injury like he did. All I said was I'll never really "like" him...but who cares? Not like we're drinking buddies.

Edman
04-20-2010, 09:08 PM

I know.

More pathetic than wrecking your body in motorcycle accident, and embarrassing your team and fanbase off the field with stupidity when you're supposed to be a leader and the face of a prestigious franchise.

So very pathetic and so dislikable of a person Sweed is.

SteelerFanInATL
04-20-2010, 09:23 PM

FINALLY, someone else remembers that catch also. I have said it before and will say it again. This kid can CATCH. It was not an easy play. Going over the middle, the pass was thrown behind him, SWEED reaches back and makes the catch while going to the ground. All hands no body catch.

Galax Steeler
04-21-2010, 04:28 AM
I would love to see Sweed do well I know he can play but how long can we hang on to him if he can't produce. Come on Sweed it is now or never.

kirklandrules
04-21-2010, 09:24 AM
FINALLY, someone else remembers that catch also. I have said it before and will say it again. This kid can CATCH. It was not an easy play. Going over the middle, the pass was thrown behind him, SWEED reaches back and makes the catch while going to the ground. All hands no body catch.

I remember this catch as well. It wasn't for a TD nor a huge gain. It was a chain mover, on a 3rd down, in a big game that kept the drive going. And yes, it was a difficult catch.

BigBen'sSwagger
04-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Sweed has excellent work ethic can run a good route but has problems in the most iimportant area catching the ball. It will take a long time of seeing him consistantly catching the ball before I will ever feel the confidence that he can catch a crucial pass. As someone pointed out he had problems in Texas as well so it seems to be a problem that is haunting him so who's to say if he makes it to the playoffs or even a Superbowl it won't haunt him again. Also as someone else pointed out he reminds me of Troy Edwards only we got some production out of Troy. WOW that's something I never thought I would say.

I also agree he can run why not make him a DB?