PDA

View Full Version : I'd be happy if...(picks)

SteelKnight
04-19-2010, 04:34 PM
OK Guys,

Would you be happy or upset if it went this way?

1. Kyle Wilson CB Boise
2. Roger Saffold LT Indiana
3. Legarette Blount RB Oregon
4. Joe Webb WR UAB

Breakdown

1.Kyle Wilson -OK. The reason I don't want a later developmental round CB is we already ave 2 of those from last year in Lewis and Burnett. Let's take Wilson, plug him in and release Gay.

2.Roger Saffold -Yes, we would probably have to trade up to get him but we have two picks in the fifth and our sixth and seventh that could be traded. We would still have 2 compensatory 5th rounders and a seventh comp tat can't be traded. There should be a run on RB, WR, CB, and a couple of QBs that might help us early second.

3. Legarette Blount - Yes, I know about the punch but he has no arrest, robbery, or drug history. I got in a brief fight in college (person attacked me...but even he wasn't an evil person). I survived to be a good person and so did he. Let's give him a shot. His YPC is amazing and he'd be a great short yardage back and a good compliment to Mendy.

4. Joe Webb -have you seen him jump the seven bags?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9PsUH1fmJk
He has awesome measurables but e is making the transition from QB to receiver. He's a good project.

All 4 have visited the Steelers.
Thoughts?

whatdoiknow
04-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Love Webb as well. Would make a tough guy to figure as a goalline RB with Ben, he can take it and run, or pass it, whatever. I like Wilson, but NO ONE is a for sure ready-to-go DB, and Wilson has alot of liabilities.
Good point on Blount. And Saffold has really come on the past few weeks. Once a late 2nd or 3rd round talent is now a player who might be a late 1st rounder. Can't use 18 on someone and deal up to get Saffold. Not even if we off all the rest of our picks in this draft....never going to happen.

SteelKnight
04-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Love Webb as well. Would make a tough guy to figure as a goalline RB with Ben, he can take it and run, or pass it, whatever. I like Wilson, but NO ONE is a for sure ready-to-go DB, and Wilson has alot of liabilities.
Good point on Blount. And Saffold has really come on the past few weeks. Once a late 2nd or 3rd round talent is now a player who might be a late 1st rounder. Can't use 18 on someone and deal up to get Saffold. Not even if we off all the rest of our picks in this draft....never going to happen.

Yeah Saffold IS rising. I'm still hoping he goes in round 2. After the big 4 , there are still a few more OTs (MD, USC, UMass) that others might like. I really think there is going to be a rush on WR, RB and CB at the top of 2. So if we get our CB in one, we can relax and smile. I'd really like to find a way to move up in round 2 somehow to catch some of that overflow talent.

About Wilson, I'm just guessing he is already better than Gay. If not, he will at least push Gay and the other 2. I like his confidence. With Troy back and Clark roaming, e will be allowed to take some gambles. Good for us. He has a brother from Princeton who keeps his head on straight and knows all about PR and off the field image and marketing.

BKAnthem
04-19-2010, 08:17 PM
I thought Saffold was projected as strictly a RT or Guard in the NFL because his feet are so bad for LT,....A RB that High? Like the other picks but 4 is to high for webb

Psyychoward86
04-19-2010, 08:28 PM
If we go RB in the 3rd round i like Dwyer, we could get Blount or Dixon in the 4th if we dont get him then

SteelKnight
04-19-2010, 08:37 PM
I thought Saffold was projected as strictly a RT or Guard in the NFL because his feet are so bad for LT,....A RB that High? Like the other picks but 4 is to high for webb

For Saffold, IDK...he played LT. Even if we had to use him at RT to replace colon next year, fine.

I like surprising the other teams wit Blount in the third. I know a lot of teams are thinking they may take him in the beginning of the fourth and if they are not, they will once they sleep on it. I even think it would be good to trade down to the bottom of the third. I just want it to happen before day 3.

Thanks for your input.

PhantomJB93
04-19-2010, 09:01 PM
My ideal *wishful thinking* draft for the first 3 rounds would involve trading nearly all our 5th and beyond picks, maybe our 4th as well or a pick or two next year, to move up in several places and goes something like...

1. Kyle Wilson/Earl Thomas (depending on which is available)
2a. Maurkice Pouncey/Golden Tate (trade with STL)
2b. Maurkice Pouncey/Golden Tate (trade with TB)
3a. Toby Gerhart
3b. Navorro Bowman (trade with somebody dont know who lol)

I really think we need to take advantage of this draft and trade all those later picks we have to select some quality guys, I understand you can find "gems" later but this is the most crucial draft for our team we've had in years and the guys I have listed are priorities IMO that we should do everything possible to acquire.

cloppbeast
04-19-2010, 09:13 PM
OK Guys,

1. Kyle Wilson CB Boise
4. Joe Webb WR UAB

Breakdown

1.Kyle Wilson -OK. The reason I don't want a later developmental round CB is we already ave 2 of those from last year in Lewis and Burnett. Let's take Wilson, plug him in and release Gay.

2.Roger Saffold -Yes, we would probably have to trade up to get him but we have two picks in the fifth and our sixth and seventh that could be traded. We would still have 2 compensatory 5th rounders and a seventh comp tat can't be traded. There should be a run on RB, WR, CB, and a couple of QBs that might help us early second.

3. Legarette Blount - Yes, I know about the punch but he has no arrest, robbery, or drug history. I got in a brief fight in college (person attacked me...but even he wasn't an evil person). I survived to be a good person and so did he. Let's give him a shot. His YPC is amazing and he'd be a great short yardage back and a good compliment to Mendy.

He has awesome measurables but e is making the transition from QB to receiver. He's a good project.

Thoughts?

Love the first, and the third. I agree totally about Blount, but he will probably go in the fourth, so it may be a bit of a reach to take him in the third. Although, if we don't take him in the 3rd he may not be available in the 4th.

In the second, how hard would it be to trade up to take Cody? I hear a lot about trading up to take Tate, but Cody is almost a carbon copy of Hampton. I would rather have Cody.

SteelKnight
04-19-2010, 09:15 PM
My ideal *wishful thinking* draft for the first 3 rounds would involve trading nearly all our 5th and beyond picks, maybe our 4th as well or a pick or two next year, to move up in several places and goes something like...

1. Kyle Wilson/Earl Thomas (depending on which is available)
2a. Maurkice Pouncey/Golden Tate (trade with STL)
2b. Maurkice Pouncey/Golden Tate (trade with TB)
3a. Toby Gerhart
3b. Navorro Bowman (trade with somebody dont know who lol)
I really think we need to take advantage of this draft and trade all those later picks we have to select some quality guys, I understand you can find "gems" later but this is the most crucial draft for our team we've had in years and the guys I have listed are priorities IMO that we should do everything possible to acquire.

LOL. I with you on trading all the later picks but I think you are dreaming if you are thinking of getting both Pouncy and Tate (in addition to Wilson)

First, I want Wilson. Second, I'd be happy to trade both 5th rounders, our sixeth and our 7th to move up. We can't trade the compensatory picks so we'd still have 2 fifths and a seventh left.

I hate mortgaging our future. I wouldn't mind if it is a 3rd round pick though. Next year, you'll wish you had the second round pick. I wouldn't mind if it was a second next year and our second this year to somehow get Pouncy though. He sounds like a can't miss. I wouldn't want to do the same for Tate.

PhantomJB93
04-19-2010, 09:33 PM
LOL. I with you on trading all the later picks but I think you are dreaming if you are thinking of getting both Pouncy and Tate (in addition to Wilson)

First, I want Wilson. Second, I'd be happy to trade both 5th rounders, our sixeth and our 7th to move up. We can't trade the compensatory picks so we'd still have 2 fifths and a seventh left.

I hate mortgaging our future. I wouldn't mind if it is a 3rd round pick though. Next year, you'll wish you had the second round pick. I wouldn't mind if it was a second next year and our second this year to somehow get Pouncy though. He sounds like a can't miss. I wouldn't want to do the same for Tate.

Ya, that's why I said a *wishful thinking* draft lol, I designed it on the offchance neither Pouncey or Tate went in the 1st (I doubt Tate is gone in the 1st but its pretty doubtful Pouncey falls that far, still possible though). I would give up a 2nd next year and a 4th this year to trade into the 1st and take Pouncey in the 20's or 30's if he's there (I dont know if that would be worth a 1st though lol) but if we made that happen Id Id give up our current second this year and a 4th or 5th to get St. Louis's second and take Tate. If all of that happened I think I would faint though...in a good way lol

Duds
04-19-2010, 09:40 PM
OK Guys,

1. Kyle Wilson CB Boise
4. Joe Webb WR UAB

Breakdown

Thoughts?

I was looking at Blount and Dixon's stats today side by side, and Blount just doesnt have the body of work like Dixon. I know Blount missed last year, but even his junior year he didn't have a bunch of carries and some of the good teams shut him down. He reminds of Michael Bush but smaller..Dixon is a workhorse and I think a better long term solution to complement Mendenhall. He has some wear and tear but is battle tested. I saw Joe Webb play a few times and have always been impressed...that would be an intriguing pick.

SteelerFanInStl
04-19-2010, 09:50 PM
In the second, how hard would it be to trade up to take Cody? I hear a lot about trading up to take Tate, but Cody is almost a carbon copy of Hampton. I would rather have Cody.

Cody is nowhere close to being a carbon copy of Hampton. Cody is weak and flabby and has never spent any time in the weight room. Hampton is built like a power lifter and is very strong.

SteelerFanInStl
04-19-2010, 09:56 PM
I was looking at Blount and Dixon's stats today side by side, and Blount just doesnt have the body of work like Dixon. I know Blount missed last year, but even his junior year he didn't have a bunch of carries and some of the good teams shut him down. He reminds of Michael Bush but smaller..Dixon is a workhorse and I think a better long term solution to complement Mendenhall. He has some wear and tear but is battle tested. I saw Joe Webb play a few times and have always been impressed...that would be an intriguing pick.

I'd take Dixon over Blount as well. IMO Dixon would be the perfect running mate for Mendy.

cloppbeast
04-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Cody is nowhere close to being a carbon copy of Hampton. Cody is weak and flabby and has never spent any time in the weight room. Hampton is built like a power lifter and is very strong.

you're probably correct - which may explain why he didn't choose to lift at the combine, but still decided to show off his blazing speed by participating in the 40, 3 cone drill, and the 20 yard shuffle. He was the worst in all 3.

SteelKnight
04-20-2010, 12:50 AM

OK Good. Then you saw that Dixon (with all his work) has only averaged 3.7-4.4 YPC until last year. Last year he did get 5.4 but he was not consitent. The 3.7-4 range is not impressive because it WILL go down in the pros.

Compare that to Blount who essentially averaged in the 7s for his full season (an in this year's Rose bowl). In Blounts 1 full season, he had more TDs tan any of Dixons seasons ( 4 attempts).

I'll take Blount...thanks...lol

SteelKnight
04-20-2010, 01:00 AM
Love the first, and the third. I agree totally about Blount, but he will probably go in the fourth, so it may be a bit of a reach to take him in the third. Although, if we don't take him in the 3rd he may not be available in the 4th.

Yeah...since some may try him in 4th, he may not be there for us. If we want him for sure, we should trade down in round 3 and take him before day 2 ends. Don't let them sleep and come back. I like runners who average 7 YPC. Maybe it will drop to 5 in the pros...great.

About Cody, I just don't want that weight headache forever. If he falls to 52, fine but don't trade up for im. I think Hampton has a couple of years left so we can look to find his replacement next year. No panic. Hoke can hold forte until then.

I'm tired of people panicking about age. They are still panicking about DE even though we don't even have a freaking place to put hood. If Smith or Keisel goes down THEN Hood gets in. They have time to develop a project for when BOTH are gone. I say we milk Hampton for 2-3 years with no rush to replace him. It's no rush. The position doesn't take much time to develop. It's is more about natural talent.

SteelKnight
04-20-2010, 01:06 AM
I'm right about the NT. It is hard to find the right players but they come right in. They don't take years to develop. It's typical when people say they need to find someone to sit on the bench for 3 years to eventually replace Hampton. Not really. A player like Cody could come in and pla right away. Sure he will get better in a year but that may be more due to strength training than learning the position. Sitting on the bench won't help and will just create more pressure to do something with Hampton.