PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy Exclusive: Could Steelers be eyeing him on draft day?

mesaSteeler
04-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Colt McCoy Exclusive: Could Steelers be eyeing him on draft day?
April 19, 8:06 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m4d19-Colt-McCoy-Exclusive-Could-Steelers-be-eyeing-him-on-draft-day

The days leading up to the draft will be interesting to watch for the Steelers considering the fact no ringing endorsement has come out of the front office for Ben Roethlisberger.

Internet rumors are flying, with Seattle being the latest interested in obtaining Roethlisberger's services and while legitimate NFL sources have said the team is interested in obtaining Sam Bradford, the team has yet to contact the Rams.

But here is another interesting scenario no one is talking about and it could happen with the second pick.

Colt McCoy.

Like Bradford, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert also was present for McCoy's workout during Texas Pro Day. He attends few.

And although he isn't held in the same esteem as Bradford, McCoy is a proven winner not to mention a player you would want to lead your team.

"If you donít like Colt McCoy, you didnít like Drew Brees, either," ESPNís Jon Gruden said on a conference call. ďI know heís going to be a great acquisition for someone. All he does is win games.

"When youíre around him, you believe he can lead an organization. Heís a guy you want in front of your football team, fans and media."

Although the NFL and its riches can change a person, McCoy is not a Roethlisberger. Instead of pouring shots at a bar, you can find him on a lake fishing. Instead of shunning kids, McCoy is at a hospital visiting kids because it brings a smile to his face.

"There are so many kids and children who would like to be in the same shoes I am," McCoy said. "So hospital visits and visiting kids in the community - I love to make a kids smile - and those are things I do whenever I have a chance. It really makes me feel better how I live my life if I can bring joy to them."

He also has an arm and his stats in college were more than impressive. He won 45 games at Texas, which is more than any QB in NCAA history. He finished his career 1,157 of 1,645 (70.3 percent) for 13,253 yards and 112 touchdowns.

McCoy also won the Maxwell Award as the player of the year, the Davey O'Brien Award as the top quarterback and the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award as the top senior quarterback, not to mention he was a two-time winner of the Walter Camp Foundation's player of the year award.

"I've truly been blessed, obviously with a great family and I have learned so much from my dad (who he played high school ball under) and then to play for Mack Brown, I had to earn everything I ever got and I think that is what got me to where I am at today." McCoy said.

But then he added this, showing his humility and maturity beyond his age, not to mention why he garnered the respect he did from teammates and coaches.

"The good lord has truly blessed me with the ability to play," McCoy said. "But it wasn't me winning those awards it was my teammates and I let them know I couldn't have done it without them."

Last year McCoy could have been the No.1 pick in the NFL draft. Instead he chose to come back his senior year so he could help Texas and his teammates win a National Championship.

It almost happened, but during the BCS game against Alabama he injured his shoulder on the fifth play of the game. It was he first time McCoy missed a game with an injury.

"It was really unfortunate the way it ended but at the same time that is life," McCoy said. "There are going to be some ups and downs, its where your character is defined. I'm taking some positives out of it."

During his pro day workout, he hit some impressive targets - Texasí Jordan Shipley, ex-Longhorns WR Brian Carter, Bengals WR Quan Cosby and former Rams WR Nate Jones and went 58 for 58 in doing so.

"That was the first time I had thrown in front of lots of GM's and scouts since my injury," McCoy said. "And I felt really good, I threw all the deep outs and things they wanted to see with great confidence."

Another reason McCoy would make a great addition to the Steelers is this fact.

"I hope to play in a championship again and am going to work myself hard to get there," McCoy said. "

cloppbeast
04-19-2010, 08:50 PM
[B]Like Bradford, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert also was present for McCoy's workout during Texas Pro Day. He attends few.

I highly doubt Kolbert attended Texas' pro day to watch McCoy.

Duds
04-19-2010, 08:50 PM
McCoy will be gone in round two and at the latest round 3, the Steelers have more pressing needs at the moment. Taking a QB in the 5th would be alright..bottom line is I think they are happy with Dixon as a backup. They signed Batch and that is a clear sign they won't draft a QB, unless the unthinkable happens and Ben is dealt on draft day.

tony hipchest
04-19-2010, 09:03 PM

word.

Although the NFL and its riches can change a person, McCoy is not a Roethlisberger. Instead of pouring shots at a bar, you can find him on a lake fishing. Instead of shunning kids, McCoy is at a hospital visiting kids because it brings a smile to his face.
couldnt read beyond this. douchebag thing to write by a douchebag writer.

*flush*

SteelerFanInStl
04-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Let's hope not.

MasterOfPuppets
04-19-2010, 09:15 PM
lets conveniently leave out a certain safety or olber they may have been there to see just to write this drivel...:doh:

cloppbeast
04-19-2010, 09:37 PM
lets conveniently leave out a certain safety or olber they may have been there to see just to write this drivel...:doh:

This article is truly a disgrace to journalism.

Psyychoward86
04-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Who are these "sources?"

According to a "source", Bruce Arians has been fired :rolleyes:

whatdoiknow
04-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Who are these "sources?"

According to a "source", Bruce Arians has been fired :rolleyes:

You weenie, don't tease me like that:noidea:

Pi Kapp Steeler
04-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Colt McCoy Exclusive: Could Steelers be eyeing him on draft day?

"

Now thats a cheap shot...

Plus he contridicts himself saying that the NFL and its riches can change a person... Maybe change a lake fishing hospital visiting Texan, into a evil man who pour shots at a bar.

Nighthawk
04-19-2010, 10:37 PM
I personally like McCoy more then the other QB's in this draft. We don't need him however. If he does get drafted by us, then I think it's a clear message to Big Ben to shape up, or his replacement is here.

whatdoiknow
04-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Maybe we should take him anyways. I mean the way our O-Line blocks,,,we may need him anyways.

fansince'76
04-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Now thats a cheap shot...

Plus he contridicts himself saying that the NFL and its riches can change a person... Maybe change a lake fishing hospital visiting Texan, into a evil man who pour shots at a bar.

It's typical Matt Pawlikowski claptrap. The guy's a clueless assclown whose every article is more stupid than the last.

BKAnthem
04-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Why would the Steelers want a Shorter Chad Pennington?

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Maybe we should take him anyways. I mean the way our O-Line blocks,,,we may need him anyways.

So we could have a reenactment of the BCS Championship game? lol

St33lersguy
04-20-2010, 07:54 PM
This guy is about as good a journalist as left wing political media outlets

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
This guy is about as good a journalist as left wing political media outlets

I think Olbermann should take this as an offense.