PDA

View Full Version : A New Mock Draft

Steel Glory
04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
1. Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
---Even though everyone is in love with Earl Thomas at the moment, the respect is well deserved. Thomas was a dominant free safety in college and only played for two years. A fast, smart and athletic football player. Still can learn and mature in the game. Maybe gone at this point.
Kyle Wilson is an option here but cornerback is deeper in this draft and Thomas is the better player.

Also of Note: If either Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga make it to 10 or later don't be surprised if the Steelers move up to take a left tackle. This would allow Max Starks to move to the right side as tackle and kick Colon into guard. Hopefully Kugler, the new O-line coach, will be able to succeed where our previous o-line coach failed.

2. Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
---Once a fringe first round prospect, Robinson has been leapfrogged on draft boards by Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty and now on some even Kareem Jackson. Robinson played well in the senior bowl until he injured his foot. Good size and speed, he could step up in the Steelers defense.

3. Jacoby Ford, WR, Clemson
---As a football player, Ford is almost a clone of Santonio Holmes. Similar in size and playing style both are speedy receivers. Ford posted the fasted time at the combine with 4.28. He dominated at the Senior Bowl and matured into a better route runner in his final year of college. Was primarily a deep threat, but can become a better receiver across the middle. Also serves dual purpose because he can return punts.

4. Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford
---Though he may be overdrafted come Thursday, his talent is around this range. Gerhart was hyper-productive as a college starter. He was the focal point of Stanford's offense and opposing teams defenses, however he still managed to post record numbers. Shattering even those of "Touchdown Tommy" who was overdrafted by going 9 overall. If he is available in the 4th I see no way the Steelers pass on this kid.

Thats it for now :applaudit:

Need to sleep, maybe I'll finish the later rounds tomorrow.

cloppbeast
04-19-2010, 09:58 PM
3. Jacoby Ford, WR, Clemson
---As a football player, Ford is almost a clone of Santonio Holmes. Similar in size and playing style both are speedy receivers. Ford posted the fasted time at the combine with 4.28. He dominated at the Senior Bowl and matured into a better route runner in his final year of college. Was primarily a deep threat, but can become a better receiver across the middle. Also serves dual purpose because he can return punts.

I disagree with this pick. We already have a little speed WR who can stretch the field in Wallace for years to come. If we're going to pick a WR it should be a big possession guy, considering Hines won't be around much longer.

Eric Decker from Minnesota, 6-3 220 might be an interesting player to look at. Although he has had some injury concerns, he he may be worth taking a chance on. He ran a 4.55 40 time, which is pretty impressive for a guy his size. He has a knack for finding the football and makes the tough grabs in traffic, as well. He runs with purpose on screen passes and reverses. I would also like to add that Decker is a great blocker. Really reminds me of Ward.

whatdoiknow
04-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Really, you would call a WR who is about 6ft, 1, and a solid 215 Lbs a " LITTLE " WR ????? Cause that's what Wallace is.

cloppbeast
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Really, you would call a WR who is about 6ft, 1, and a solid 215 Lbs a " LITTLE " WR ????? Cause that's what Wallace is.

Well, the point I was trying to make was that Wallace is a fast guy that can stretch the field, so we already have that type of guy. Instead we should go after a big tough possession WR to replace Ward.

Anyway, Wallace is about 200. About an average sized WR.

whatdoiknow
04-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Well, the point I was trying to make was that Wallace is a fast guy that can stretch the field, so we already have that type of guy. Instead we should go after a big tough possession WR to replace Ward.

I agree somewhat. Ford is a pure " Slot " WR. And not strong either to break the Jam, like El can. We are covered at the slot, so for that reason we don't need Ford. But we don't need a " Big " WR in the mold of a Benn or Thomas either cause neither of those guys have good hands, or are refined as WR's. But a Dekker, or better yet a Shipley would do fine later on down the draft.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-19-2010, 10:22 PM

Wrong again. Jacoby Ford weighd in at the combine at 5'9 186lbs. :doh:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/jacoby%20-ford?id=497288

Search engines are a friend to all.

cloppbeast
04-19-2010, 10:31 PM
But a Dekker, or better yet a Shipley would do fine later on down the draft.

Shipley is about 6 foot and weighs in at about 190. The man's a toothpick.

Plus, you remember how our last WR we drafted from Texas worked out, don't you? :chuckle:

Kingmagyar
04-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Remember Hines Ward and Randal El are soon to be gone leaving us really only Wallace and maybe Sweed.

Jacoby Ford would be the little guy with speed that could catch a 5 yard pass and take it to the house. Blocking might be a problem.

How about Damian Williams USC WR, (HT: 6-0⅝ - WT: 197 - 40: 4.53)

or Brandon Lafell WR LSU (HT: 6-2 - WT: 211 - 40: 4.60) ?

Love the running back pick, but if we miss on getting him try for Anthony Dixon later in the draft.

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Shipley is about 6 foot and weighs in at about 190. The man's a toothpick.

Plus, you remember how our last WR we drafted from Texas worked out, don't you? :chuckle:

Ah,,,Do I remember how our last WR from Texas worked out ???And that's your argument against Shipley ? Jesus, if we followed your logic we would have NEVER drafted Hines Ward!! Or don't you remember another little Georgia WR product named..Andre Hastings!! ?

Doh!!!

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Ah,,,Do I remember how our last WR from Texas worked out ???And that's your argument against Shipley ? Jesus, if we followed your logic we would have NEVER drafted Hines Ward!! Or don't you remember another little Georgia WR product named..Andre Hastings!! ?

Doh!!!

Settle down a little. I intended the :chuckle: to imply I wasn't being serious. My argument against shipley is that he's only 190 lbs, and he's not much of an athlete. He's kind of slow.

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Actually Shipley is a very good Athlete. One's forty time is NOT a measuring stick to one's athletic traits.
Shipley weighed in at 193 Lbs, he ran a 4,6 at Indy. But ran a 4.53 at his Pro day. That's FASTER than Hines Ward ran in his workout. And Hines only weighed 2 Lbs more than Shipley does. Not to mention Shipley is already regarded as the drafts BEST Route runner and can get out of his breaks faster than any WR in this draft. I mean just look at the game against Alabama. One DB who is rising up draft charts is Kareem Jackson. A DB that the Steelers brought into Pittsburgh, and who is now a possible 1st round pick. And Shipley totally KILLED Jackson who was on Shipley, as well as a safety, and Shipley caught 10 passes for 122 Yds and 2 TD's. And that was with Texas playing a freshmen QB who has never threw a pass in his life!!

Remember son, it's not about straight line speed, or weight. But about how tough a guy plays on the field. How he catches the ball and runs his routes. And Shipley is maybe the best at those traits. Boy, I'm glad you weren't our GM back in 96, cause you NEVER would have even looked at Hines Ward. Who is basically the EXACT same height/weight/speed as Shipley.

And remind me again, how did Hines work out for us ?

Youngstown Steeler
04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Wrong again. Jacoby Ford weighd in at the combine at 5'9 186lbs. :doh:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/jacoby%20-ford?id=497288

Search engines are a friend to all.

He was referring to Wallace's size.

revefsreleets
04-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Santonio Holmes was like 5'11" 190. Size is overrated at WR.

Also, Thomas probably isn't going to be there after the top 10...I've heard there are like 3 teams that are REALLY high on him, and he's on some boards higher than Berry.

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Actually Shipley is a very good Athlete. One's forty time is NOT a measuring stick to one's athletic traits.
Shipley weighed in at 193 Lbs, he ran a 4,6 at Indy. But ran a 4.53 at his Pro day. That's FASTER than Hines Ward ran in his workout. And Hines only weighed 2 Lbs more than Shipley does. Not to mention Shipley is already regarded as the drafts BEST Route runner and can get out of his breaks faster than any WR in this draft. I mean just look at the game against Alabama. One DB who is rising up draft charts is Kareem Jackson. A DB that the Steelers brought into Pittsburgh, and who is now a possible 1st round pick. And Shipley totally KILLED Jackson who was on Shipley, as well as a safety, and Shipley caught 10 passes for 122 Yds and 2 TD's. And that was with Texas playing a freshmen QB who has never threw a pass in his life!!

Remember son, it's not about straight line speed, or weight. But about how tough a guy plays on the field. How he catches the ball and runs his routes. And Shipley is maybe the best at those traits. Boy, I'm glad you weren't our GM back in 96, cause you NEVER would have even looked at Hines Ward. Who is basically the EXACT same height/weight/speed as Shipley.

And remind me again, how did Hines work out for us ?

I understand that combine speed isn't everything, but it is something. I don't think we would have picked up Wallace if it weren't for his amazing speed, which was verified by his combine 40 time.

Shipley is a very polished WR, while Ward was more of a versatile football player who played multiple positions, considered a work in progress, so I don't think comparing Ward to Shipley is fair. Shipley's main asset is that he'll be a quick transition into the NFL because of his excellent route running ability. The Steelers, who rarely draft for immediate need, rarely target these types of players, but instead opt into choosing the best athletes to mold into the position.

BTW, do you make up your information on the spot? Because Ward ran a 4.47 in his 40. Hines Ward did turn out very well for us, but that doesn't mean everybody who is his size and runs as fast is going to be the next Ward.

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I understand that combine speed isn't everything, but it is something. I don't think we would have picked up Wallace if it weren't for his amazing speed, which was verified by his combine 40 time.

Shipley is a very polished WR, while Ward was more of a versatile football player who played multiple positions, considered a work in progress, so I don't think comparing Ward to Shipley is fair. Shipley's main asset is that he'll be a quick transition into the NFL because of his excellent route running ability. The Steelers, who rarely draft for immediate need, rarely target these types of players, but instead opt into choosing the best athletes to mold into the position.

BTW, do you make up your information on the spot? Because Ward ran a 4.47 in his 40. Hines Ward did turn out very well for us, but that doesn't mean everybody who is his size and runs as fast is going to be the next Ward.

Do I make up information ??? B!tch get out of my face.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/events/1998/nfldraft/topplayers/39.html

Read that fool, and then talk your BS! BTW, a 9ft Broad jump may be among the worst
ever for a WR. Shipley ran 4.53 forty, and had a 10 ft, 4 Broad jump. So learn something BOY!! And then comeback and attempt to Wax Intellectual.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-20-2010, 03:26 PM
He was referring to Wallace's size.

No he was refering to Jacoby Ford's size in comparison to Wallace.

clopp said in refrence to Ford: I disagree with this pick. We already have a little speed WR who can stretch the field in Wallace for years to come. If we're going to pick a WR it should be a big possession guy, considering Hines won't be around much longer.

whatdoiknow said in refrence to clopp's statement: Really, you would call a WR who is about 6ft, 1, and a solid 215 Lbs a " LITTLE " WR ????? Cause that's what Wallace is.

Nice try though.

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Do I make up information ??? B!tch get out of my face.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/events/1998/nfldraft/topplayers/39.html

Read that fool, and then talk your BS! BTW, a 9ft Broad jump may be among the worst
ever for a WR. Shipley ran 4.53 forty, and had a 10 ft, 4 Broad jump. So learn something BOY!! And then comeback and attempt to Wax Intellectual.

I still insist that you should just settle down a little. During the combine Shipley ran a 4.6; Hines during his combine appearance ran a 4.47 according to this source: http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/98draft.html. I'm looking for a better one, though.

St33lersguy
04-20-2010, 07:59 PM
like the 1st 2 picks but the steelers do not need a WR and DEFINITELY do not need a RB

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 08:04 PM
like the 1st 2 picks but the steelers do not need a WR and DEFINITELY do not need a RB

We may not need a WR, but I think we definitely do need a RB. In fact, RB may be their thinnest position. I don't want a reenactment of 2008.

Steel Glory
04-20-2010, 10:00 PM
No he was refering to Jacoby Ford's size in comparison to Wallace.

clopp said in refrence to Ford: I disagree with this pick. We already have a little speed WR who can stretch the field in Wallace for years to come. If we're going to pick a WR it should be a big possession guy, considering Hines won't be around much longer.

whatdoiknow said in refrence to clopp's statement: Really, you would call a WR who is about 6ft, 1, and a solid 215 Lbs a " LITTLE " WR ????? Cause that's what Wallace is.

Nice try though.

Lol... He was definitely referencing Wallace. That's exactly why he put 'Cause that's what Wallace is'.

Nice try though.

Also, although the Steelers might not need a WR, he could become a mold of Santonio (on the field not off) and he would be a third round guy. Plus I figured in the 3rd he would a BPA type pick. I would rather have someone like him then the second coming of Braylon Edwards with Demaryius Thomas or people that rank around the second round, which is too high for WR though some think the 3rd is too.

cloppbeast
04-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Lol... He was definitely referencing Wallace. That's exactly why he put 'Cause that's what Wallace is'.

Nice try though.

Also, although the Steelers might not need a WR, he could become a mold of Santonio (on the field not off) and he would be a third round guy. Plus I figured in the 3rd he would a BPA type pick. I would rather have someone like him then the second coming of Braylon Edwards with Demaryius Thomas or people that rank around the second round, which is too high for WR though some think the 3rd is too.

Eric Decker may not be worth a second round pick, but he may be worth a 3rd. We won't have to worry about any mental issues with him, and he didn't just make the pretty catches in college like Sweed, he made the tough ones too. Also, his draft stock has fallen due to injuries. The Steelers love taking chances on injured players to get good value.

Steel Glory
04-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Eric Decker may not be worth a second round pick, but he may be worth a 3rd. We won't have to worry about any mental issues with him, and he didn't just make the pretty catches in college like Sweed, he made the tough ones too. Also, his draft stock has fallen due to injuries. The Steelers love taking chances on injured players to get good value.

They took Miller and he was a steal, in my opinion, even in the first round. Decker is a good prospect, but I was looking for a guy that could deliver what Santonio brought to the field. An ability to score from almost anywhere on the field. Mardy Gilyard definitely fits that description as well. Give a either of these guys a quick screen pass and they could take it for a couple of yards. I'm not sure Decker is that type of player. Although he is a good wide receiver.

Wallace may be able to take screens like that, but he isn't the shifty, elusive receiver type I had in mind with Ford. I mean if Gilyard is some how still available in the 3rd round I would definitely take him as well.

whatdoiknow
04-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Boy, I wonder how this might affect the Steelers draft if this actually happened. And knowing Al Davis, you can't count it out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/21/iupati-to-oakland-talk-picks-up-steam/