PDA

View Full Version : How About Ike Taylor for MVP?

TasmanianTroy271
02-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I mean, I just looked at the stats from the game; 10 tackles of which 9 were solo, he had that interception right when Seattle was threatening, and Seattle didn't get off that many huge plays down the sidelines did they? I know they'd never give it to him because he doesn't have the Star Power, but give it up for Ike...

melroseplace
02-06-2006, 05:15 PM
I personally voted for Haggans, I thought he played a very good game. not complaining that Hines won tho

ColoradoSteelerFan
02-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Taylor played a great second half, but spent most of the first half tackling Jackson after he allowed him to catch a pass.

SteelerFanInCA
02-06-2006, 05:37 PM
But Ike did stop a drive during the most crucial point in the game.

boLT fan
02-06-2006, 05:46 PM
If he would've got that early interception then he probably would have got the MVP.

Dook
02-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Ike's coverage was too soft. He was getting ate up early by Hasselbeck.

Ike was man on man so he didn't have help. This gave us more blitz options but it's tough for him to bite on the short down and outs because a double move, pump fake, and he is beat long. Ike did exactly as he was supposed to do, he kept them from getting the long play.

But it surely wasn't worth an MVP.

That interception he got was all on Hasselbeck. Ike was just in the right place at the right time. At least he caught that one.

LambertIsGod58
02-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Ike's coverage was too soft. He was getting ate up early by Hasselbeck.

Ike was man on man so he didn't have help. This gave us more blitz options but it's tough for him to bite on the short down and outs because a double move, pump fake, and he is beat long. Ike did exactly as he was supposed to do, he kept them from getting the long play.

But it surely wasn't worth an MVP.

That interception he got was all on Hasselbeck. Ike was just in the right place at the right time. At least he caught that one.

I have to agree here....Ike was being picked apart by Hasselbeck from what I saw...He did come up big with the one INT but should have had TWO. I would have voted for either Fancea or Ward to win MVP.

ngreene15
02-06-2006, 07:55 PM
I personally voted for Haggans, I thought he played a very good game. not complaining that Hines won tho

He did... Made the Hawks pay for keeping all their plays away from Joey.

Milkman
02-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Ike is very under-rated for CB. Once his hands catch up to his covering ability, he will definitely get more recognition!

Sharkissle29
02-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Ike is very under-rated for CB. Once his hands catch up to his covering ability, he will definitely get more recognition!
i've said it from day one. ike taylor is a star CB in the making...that being said, we would be foolish to let him go through free agency

400_miles_from_DaBurgh
02-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Yah, Ike may get my vote for MVP for the playoffs (other than Ben) but last night he played way to far off of Jackson for the first half. He was the only reason I was screaming at the TV the whole game. But improved in the 2nd half. Other than the first half of the game, he played one hell of a playoff run.

rowedf
02-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Guys, he did NOT get torn apart, even on the opening couple drives. They always start in their base package which leaves both corners in zone, you cannot press in zone, you play 7-10 off the man, they were running 4-6 yard routes, a zone GIVES those up, so it was not Ike getting burnt it was our scheme getting worked. As soon as that was adjusted, Ike played brilliantly, the man one on one is one of the best in the league, they need to start putting him in that situation more often.

shevdog
02-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Another INT and I'd have voted him as MVP. I can't remember if it was Ike or Deshan that was one of my Super Bowl MVP's on Madden?

OX1947
02-06-2006, 10:56 PM
If Big Ben connects to Cedrick instead of the INT, he would have been MVP. I dont think Ike did enough to win MVP. If anyone in the secondary I would have said Hope because that boy was laying the hammer on anyone that came in his area...

TasmanianTroy271
02-07-2006, 12:16 AM
lol Hope was the one who gave Jurevicious a piggy-back ride instead of a tackle.

Avoid Lloyd
02-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Ike didn't play well enough to be considered for the MVP.

Sure he had 10 tackles but about 5 of those came on the first drive because the Jackson was catching the ball underneath his coverage.

Had he snagged that first INT then I would give it to him.

Haiku_Dirtt
02-07-2006, 01:24 PM
The "race" for MVP is truly a 'photo finish'. Since only one player can win it Hines gets it by default even though he dropped two key passes - one a TD. Yeah Ike and Haggans made key plays. So did Keisel. Casey made a big sideline tackle after being deep in the trenches. Smith made a sideline tackle preventing a 12 yard run from becoming 25. Randle El made the biggest play of his career finally erasing the horrors of the fumbled pitch in the New England game. Foote and Townsend made plays.

For Micheal Eisner, photos of Hines Ward wearing Mickey Mouse ears would sell.

grahamburgher
02-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Wow.. I was at the game and the folks sitting around me (myself included) couldn't believe how bad Ike Taylor was getting torched in the 1st half. The Seapigeons picking their way right down the field in front of Ike played a big part in taking the crowd out of it early on. He was 1 for 2 on interception balls in his hands and spent most of the game chasing guys that made plays against him.

rowedf
02-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Can't believe I'm posting this again...IKE did NOT get torched!!! You need to understand zone defenses to see this, he is supposed to give that 3-5 yrd route up, its how the D is set up to play. So it was not Ike's fault, he was doing what he was told, when they switched to man how many more balls did his guy catch?? Jackson had a great 1st quarter (when we were in our base) ..... he sucked after the Steelers adjusted.

clevestinks
02-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Ike had 10 takles because he played so soft that they kept completed them right in front of him

rowedf
02-13-2006, 03:55 PM
<<smashing my head into a concrete wall, can someone else try to explain, please???

chumley
02-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Taylor had a huge game, as he almost always does...

Ike is one of the best CB's in the game right now, and looks to only be improving.

WeNowHave5
02-13-2006, 04:30 PM
I mean, I just looked at the stats from the game; 10 tackles of which 9 were solo, he had that interception right when Seattle was threatening, and Seattle didn't get off that many huge plays down the sidelines did they? I know they'd never give it to him because he doesn't have the Star Power, but give it up for Ike...

If Ike would have caught that first INT that he dropped he may been chose. He also had a sack didnt he, 2 plays before he intercepted the ball?

clevestinks
02-13-2006, 05:23 PM
[/U]and so was larry brown,but they still gave him the mvp
Brown had a TD

lotas
02-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Can't believe I'm posting this again...IKE did NOT get torched!!! You need to understand zone defenses to see this, he is supposed to give that 3-5 yrd route up, its how the D is set up to play. So it was not Ike's fault, he was doing what he was told, when they switched to man how many more balls did his guy catch?? Jackson had a great 1st quarter (when we were in our base) ..... he sucked after the Steelers adjusted.
Exactly...you guys must not understand the defense or something. Just like when you play zone in basketball, you give up the three pointer. There are advantages and disadvantages...they just keep going to Jackson because he is a good route-runner, which is what those first-quarter passes were, it wasn't as if they were saying "Oh let's attack 24 because he's playing way too soft!"

I agree with rowedf...it's not Ike, it's the defense they were playing, they were out there with the mentality/idea that they'd give up those smaller yardage plays.

TasmanianTroy271
02-13-2006, 09:03 PM
If Ike would have caught that first INT that he dropped he may been chose. He also had a sack didnt he, 2 plays before he intercepted the ball?

Nah, that was Deshea with the sack

Suitanim
02-13-2006, 09:24 PM
NO MVP FOR IKE!

His agent will try to get more money from the Steelers, and we need this kid!

grahamburgher
02-13-2006, 11:54 PM

Wow. It must be pretty frustrating trying to explain football to us idiots who obviously don't know anything about the game. I'm fully aware of what a zone defense is and the philosophy behind the schemes we run. I'm just telling you what we saw and what our impressions were. With a full-field view it was clear that on the majority of plays, Ike was giving way more cushion than anyone else - that's all. The pigeons exploited it during the 1st half, but I think the reason Jackson didn't continue making those catches had more to do with Seattle abandoning the dink-dunk routes chucking it downfield.

83-Steelers-43
02-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Personally, I think it's only right that Ward got the MVP. If I recall correctly, Ike was getting toasted in that first quarter. While I can't complain about the defense only giving up three points in the first half, Ike was still getting toasted. I understand it was the style defense we were playing, but eitherway does it warrant an MVP over Ward? I don't think so.

Ward on the other hand, granted he did drop two balls I believe, he came back and made some big plays in that game (as usual).

rowedf
02-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Wow. It must be pretty frustrating trying to explain football to us idiots who obviously don't know anything about the game. I'm fully aware of what a zone defense is and the philosophy behind the schemes we run. I'm just telling you what we saw and what our impressions were. With a full-field view it was clear that on the majority of plays, Ike was giving way more cushion than anyone else - that's all. The pigeons exploited it during the 1st half, but I think the reason Jackson didn't continue making those catches had more to do with Seattle abandoning the dink-dunk routes chucking it downfield.

grahamburgher i was not calling you idiots, but most of the time, the reason a team stops doing something they were successful at is becauase the defense changes schemes and they can't do it anymore. I just don't think its fair that people were bashing Ike by saying he was playing soft or off his man, when that is exactly what he was suppposed to be doing, if you wanna blame someone, blame who calls the D, not the player doing what he's told.

doggfather69
02-14-2006, 10:21 AM
My MVP is Willie Parker. The game was close until Fast Willie broke it open. I know Ward had a good game also but Willie's 75 yarder got the new record and he should have been MVP!