PDA

View Full Version : Byrons Back

Sharkissle29
04-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Shefters twitter....

Adam_Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Pittsburgh just traded a seventh-round pick for former Buccaneers QB Byron Leftwich.
4 minutes ago via web

OX1947
04-20-2010, 04:37 PM
So does this mean Charlie Batch is retiring?

Shoes
04-20-2010, 04:37 PM
If it's true...Great! :thumbsup:

stillers4me
04-20-2010, 04:40 PM
It would ease my mind a bit about the games Ben will watching from his living room.

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Absolutely GREAT news! Byron is a legit NFL QB, Dixon is not!

LukesDad88
04-20-2010, 04:41 PM
I think that means at least a six week suspension.

43Hitman
04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Or that a draft day trade involving Ben is in the works....:stirthepot:

Dino 6 Rings
04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Sorry Charlie

stillers4me
04-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Being reported on ESPN......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5119960

Welcome back, Byron! Very smart move! Byron will be much more valuable than any 7th rounder will be.

polamalu82
04-20-2010, 04:55 PM
This is good news. Byron is more than capable at running our offense. :thumbsup:

Shoes
04-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Lefty has a rocket arm knows the O....he just needs to work on that 5 minute windup :chuckle:

JEFF4i
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
w00tsauce!

BlastFurnace
04-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Beautiful!

Having Dixon as the starter this season was not optimal. Having Batch was worse.

I wonder what kind of suspension this will be.

fansince'76
04-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Only good thing to come out of this mess. Welcome back, Lefty! :tt02:

SteelerFanInATL
04-20-2010, 05:06 PM
I was comfortable with DD starting and CB as the backup. Batch has always been productive for us and DD played very well in his first NFL start against a very tough defense. Something is going on. I can't see us keeping four QB's. I think Batch will eventually be the odd man out.

wdsteel
04-20-2010, 05:07 PM
i think that was a good pickup for a 7th and look out Ben..its only gona be a 4 or 2 game leave...we wanted a 4th QB going into camp but BL could spell trade for Ben.

M.C. Smith
04-20-2010, 05:10 PM
I like this move. Leftwich is a proven guy, who can still play the quarterback position... It's nice to have him back.

GBMelBlount
04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
This is good news. Byron is more than capable at running our offense. :thumbsup:

I like this move and I do think Lefty is capable.....

I'm just not sure about the "running" part.... :chuckle:

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=11691 :checkit:

Preacher
04-20-2010, 05:15 PM
YESSSSSS

I think that tells us something about Ben's suspension as well.

He probably WILL be suspended for the first quarter of the season.

I think Lefty is an EXCELLENT choice to pick up the slack until Ben is back.

Who is the odd QB out? I have to say Batch.

JEFF4i
04-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Or, at very least, we will see Lefty and DD fight it out for starter.

SteelGhost
04-20-2010, 05:20 PM
What ? Charlie got injured... AGAIN ? :sofunny:

Welcome back Byron :tt:

WindyCitySteelerFan
04-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah, glad you have you back in black and gold Lefty

tony hipchest
04-20-2010, 05:24 PM
i dont think ben counts towards our 53 man roster while suspended, but not sure. if thats the case either batch or lefty will be released when ben returns.

all money being the same, i'd prefer bulger. he can get the ball out of his hand quickly and not be the long striding statue with a wind up, like byron.

with that being said, i like the move, and so will the guys on the team.

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 05:24 PM
How is Leftwich a " LEGIT " NFL QB ? Dude couldn't even beat out Freeman. And Freeman is just another
" Brother from another Mother ", NON-Pocket-passing QB...( Like Dixon,,at least according to SOME Drunken Bufoons here ) Even if it was just a 7th rounder, Lefty was in no way going to be a Buc. He was going to be released after the Draft. So Colbert " Paniced " on this one. Maybe Colbert has been hanging arounf " Ben " too much. Cause alot of Booze DOES affect your Brain cells.

Pittsburgh43
04-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Welcome back, Byron!

and I think you're right Tony, pretty sure suspended players do not count towards the 53 man roster.

SteelGhost
04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
i dont think ben counts towards our 53 man roster while suspended, but not sure. if thats the case either batch or lefty will be released when ben returns.

all money being the same, i'd prefer bulger. he can get the ball out of his hand quickly and not be the long striding statue with a wind up, like byron.

with that being said, i like the move, and so will the guys on the team.

I agree :thumbsup: CB is very very fragile, they need to have someone else just in case :noidea:

AllD
04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
The team responded very well when Lefty was taking snaps while BB was out the first time. He might bring a different attitude.

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
The team responded very well when Lefty was taking snaps while BB was out the first time. He might bring a different attitude.

I will admit that against Washington,,,a very bad team BTW, Lefty looked good. But besides that, how did Lefty demenstrate that he is " HEADS & NCLOUDS "
better than Dixon ?

http://www.footballdb.com/players/byron-leftwich-leftwby01/gamelogs/2008

Pittsburgh43
04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
I agree that it was a good pick-up. We get a player that could really help us out in a time of need, for a 7th round player that wouldn't have made the roster. BL looked confident under center for the Steelers.

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
I agree that it was a good pick-up. We get a player that could really help us out in a time of need, for a 7th round player that wouldn't have made the roster. BL looked confident under center for the Steelers.

Lets see,,,Leftwhich was going to be released regardless. So we could have gotten him WITHOUT trading a pick. As for a 7th rounder who WOULDN'T have made the roster anyways....well...M.Colston says Hi:wave:

TheWarDen86
04-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Lets see,,,Leftwhich was going to be released regardless. So we could have gotten him WITHOUT trading a pick. As for a 7th rounder who WOULDN'T have made the roster anyways....well...M.Colston says Hi:wave:

They'd been waiting for weeks. I wonder what changed.

SteelerEmpire
04-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Excellent move...

steel9guy
04-20-2010, 05:43 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Prok
04-20-2010, 05:44 PM
I will admit that against Washington,,,a very bad team BTW, Lefty looked good. But besides that, how did Lefty demenstrate that he is " HEADS & NCLOUDS "
better than Dixon ?

http://www.footballdb.com/players/byron-leftwich-leftwby01/gamelogs/2008

Lefty has starting experience in this league. Dixon may have impreesed some with his one game but it was just that. One game.

i never wanted Lefty to leave to begin with. Things may not have panned out in Tampa for him but I thought he was much better back-up and short term starter than Batch.

I'm hoping this spells the end for Batch.

But i do think it's awful strange we go and trade a 7th for Lefty with 3 other QB's on our roster.
:noidea:

SteelerEmpire
04-20-2010, 05:45 PM
... but I bet Lefty smells a chance at a starting position if Ben screws up one more time... I think that may be part of his motivation for coming back...

Nadroj 20
04-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Very very glad to see Lefty back, I got real excited when i saw this on sportscenter lol.

Welcome back Byron!!!!!

klick81
04-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Welcome back Lefty!

Preacher
04-20-2010, 05:51 PM

And you KNOW that we would have gotten him how? Another team with a bigger need at backup or a chance to start wouldn't have given him a shot?

I just love it when people KNOW the future. The chances of a seventh rounder making and contributing to the 53 man roster is far less that Lefty contributing to it... especially with 10 OTHER DRAFT PICKS this year.

tony hipchest
04-20-2010, 05:53 PM
But i do think it's awful strange we go and trade a 7th for Lefty with 3 other QB's on our roster.
:noidea:again... we will need 3 qb's on the roster starting week 1.

ben cant play and batch will get injured within minutes of playing a game. if dixon goes down, who does that leave for the remaining 3 and a half games?

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Lefty has starting experience in this league. Dixon may have impreesed some with his one game but it was just that. One game.

i never wanted Lefty to leave to begin with. Things may not have panned out in Tampa for him but I thought he was much better back-up and short term starter than Batch.

I'm hoping this spells the end for Batch.

:noidea:

Look, in the end, I know it's not a huge deal dealing a 7th for Lefty. I like him. But I also say that Lefty was going to be a free man regardless after this weekend. So why deal anything ? But with that said, how many here think that after this deal to get Lefty back, that Mike Florio will have ALL kinds of reports how this re-aquiring of Leftwhich now means that Ben's being " Seriously " shopped once again ?

When it comes to Mike Florio, and some other writers, it's all...:blah::blah::blah:

SteelerEmpire
04-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Welcome back Lefty!

Fast forward to spring, 2011..... Welcome back Holmes! ... the way the front office is doing things... lol...

Preacher
04-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Fast forward to spring, 2011..... Welcome back Holmes! ... the way the front office is doing things... lol...

hey. If Holmes has learned his lesson... I would be all for that.

Prok
04-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Look, in the end, I know it's not a huge deal dealing a 7th for Lefty. I like him. But I also say that Lefty was going to be a free man regardless after this weekend. So why deal anything ? But with that said, how many here think that after this deal to get Lefty back, that Mike Florio will have ALL kinds of reports how this re-aquiring of Leftwhich now means that Ben's being " Seriously " shopped once again ?

When it comes to Mike Florio, and some other writers, it's all...:blah::blah::blah:

I'm convinced florio is a Steelers hater. I think he's posted "rumors" of this meaning Ben will get 6-8 game suspension over this. Or something to that effect.

Pittsburgh43
04-20-2010, 05:59 PM
I hate Mike Florio! He'll be posting allll kinds of rumors.

Preacher
04-20-2010, 06:00 PM
But with that said, how many here think that after this deal to get Lefty back, that Mike Florio will have ALL kinds of reports how this re-aquiring of Leftwhich now means that Ben's being " Seriously " shopped once again ?

Too true. I just don't see that happening. Especially with what looks like a gauntlet thrown down by Tomlin and the Rooneys concerning off-field antics. I think they all start out at scratch, and have exactly 0 chances of screwing up now before they are off the team.

LVSteelersfan
04-20-2010, 06:05 PM
I never understood why they let Lefty get away last year. I thought Batch was done last year and BL is a more than capable backup for Ben. And I do agree that this way we get a legitimate starter for a 7th round pick instead of some schmuck who more than likely does not make the team. The Steelers have so many starters left from last year's team that there is no way there is room for 11 players in the draft. So 1 seventh round nothing pick basically can turn into gold. I was extremely worried that if Ben gets a huge suspension that we would be out of the playoff race before we even got started.

mesaSteeler
04-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Steelers acquire Leftwich
http://www.observer-reporter.com/www/sidelines/index.html
F. Dale Lolley

As I reported a few weeks ago, the Steelers were not only interested in acquiring Byron Leftwich from Tampa Bay, they finally went out and did so, picking up the quarterback for a seventh-round draft pick.

Leftwich, 30, played with the Steelers in 2008 when he completed 21 of 36 passes for 303 yards, two touchdowns and a 104.3 passer rating. After joining the Steelers in training camp, Leftwich had his best game with the team on Nov. 3, 2008 when he completed seven of 10 passes for 129 yards, one touchdown and a 145.8 passer rating in one half of play in relief of an injured Ben Roethlisberger.

Leftwich was originally drafted seventh overall in the 2003 NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars. He spent his first four seasons in Jacksonville (2003-06) and one season in Atlanta (2007) before signing with the Steelers in 2008.

Leftwich signed with Tampa Bay on April 13, 2009 and started the first three games of the season for the Buccaneers before being placed on the Reserve/Injured List with an injured elbow. Leftwich has completed 900 of 1,545 passes (58.3 percent) for 10,218 yards, 58 touchdowns, 41 interceptions and a 79.6 passer-rating during his seven NFL seasons. He has started in 49 of the 57 games played during his NFL career.

The Steelers traded the first of their two 2010 seventh round picks (18th in the round, 225th overall) to Tampa Bay in return for Leftwich. The Steelers now have 10 picks in this year’s NFL Draft.

HometownGal
04-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Awesome news!! :applaudit: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I loved Lefty behind center from hello. He knows the system, gets along great with his teammates and is, imho, one of the better backups in the league.

Welcome Back Byron! :banana:

Prok
04-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Awesome news!! :applaudit: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I loved Lefty behind center from hello. He knows the system, gets along great with his teammates and is, imho, one of the better backups in the league.

Welcome Back Byron! :banana:

I feel the same. Plus he and Ben seemed to have good chemistry when he was with us.

I'm hoping this means Batch can be let go after the suspension.

From our CS perspectives, ya can't overlook the fact that Byron has alot of starting experience in this league.

It also tells me that they think Dixon has a way to go yet to get to starter level.

msafford
04-20-2010, 06:39 PM
And you KNOW that we would have gotten him how? Another team with a bigger need at backup or a chance to start wouldn't have given him a shot?

I just love it when people KNOW the future. The chances of a seventh rounder making and contributing to the 53 man roster is far less that Lefty contributing to it... especially with 10 OTHER DRAFT PICKS this year.

Excellent point as always. Plus, I could see us doing some moving around in the draft and making up that pick we just traded to the Bucs.

Edman
04-20-2010, 07:17 PM
I have all the confidence in the world with Byron at backup.

Godfather
04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
I never understood why they let Lefty get away last year.

Lefty wanted to start. He would have taken less money for that chance.

Now that he tried being the starter, maybe he'll be happy with the backup role on a winner.

HometownGal
04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm hoping this means Batch can be let go after the suspension.

I don't think that will happen, as they just signed him to a 2 year extension. :banging: He'd make a great coach but he just doesn't have it as a QB - never really has imho.

spyboots
04-20-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm guessing same as Vick - 4 games with a chance of returning after 2 games if certain conditions are met. Why should he be supended more than Vick?

SteelerFanInATL
04-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Could Ben possibly be traded now that we have Lefty????? He was efficient and is capable of leading the team!!!!! Just my $.02

The Definiti0n
04-20-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm guessing same as Vick - 4 games with a chance of returning after 2 games if certain conditions are met. Why should he be supended more than Vick?

This would be ideal for three reasons.

1) Ben's arm would be fresher for the end of the season unlike last year.

2) Mendy would be the focal point of the offense and we would have no choice but to establish the run game early in the season.

3) Ben would drop on alot of peeps fantasy draft boards allowing me to scoop him up in the 3rd round.

stillers4me
04-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Ben's arm would be fresher for the end of the season unlike last year.

Welp...that's a good point.

Steely McSmash
04-20-2010, 08:30 PM
... but I bet Lefty smells a chance at a starting position if Ben screws up one more time... I think that may be part of his motivation for coming back...

Ah he was traded. What was Holmes's motivation for going to NYJ? wants to sing on Broadway during the bye week?

Merchant
04-20-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't understand the point of this trade? I know it's only a 7th rounder but we already have a veteran QB who knows our system in Charlie Batch.. and we got Dixon as our #2... what do we need Byron for?

JSH6487
04-20-2010, 08:37 PM
I don't understand the point of this trade? I know it's only a 7th rounder but we already have a veteran QB who knows our system in Charlie Batch.. and we got Dixon as our #2... what do we need Byron for?

Maybe because he's better than Batch and 3 times better than Dixon. When you can bring in a better option for a lousy 7th round pick, why not?

mesaSteeler
04-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Leftwich happy to be back with Steelers in trade
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have traded a seventh-round draft pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for veteran quarterback Byron Leftwich, the team said today.

Leftwich said he was delighted to return to the Steelers, where he earned a Super Bowl ring as the backup to Ben Roethlisberger in 2008.

"I'm happy to be back," he told the Post-Gazette this evening. "I have a big ol' smile on my face."

Leftwich was set to drive from his hometown of Washington, D.C. to Pittsburgh tonight and will meet with the Steelers in the morning. He said until he does, he's not sure in what role they want to use him.

"I'll talk to them tomorrow. They want me there and whatever they want me to do, I'll do. You don't make a trade for a guy for no reason."

The Steelers re-signed veteran backup quarterback Charlie Batch and have expressed confidence in the progress of Dennis Dixon, who will enter his third season. It seems obvious the Steelers re-acquired Leftwich as insurance for whatever happens to Ben Roethlisberger.

"I don't know Ben's situation," said Leftwich, who will proceed Thursday to Marshall University where he will be installed into that school's Hall of Fame this weekend.

Leftwich, 30, completed 21 of 36 passes for 303 yards, two touchdowns and a 104.3 passer rating when he played for the Steelers in 2008. After joining the Steelers in training camp, Leftwich had his best game with the team on Nov. 3, 2008, against the Washington Redskins, when he completed seven of 10 passes for 129 yards, one touchdown and a 145.8 passer rating in one half of play in relief of an injured Ben Roethlisberger.

Leftwich was originally drafted seventh overall in the 2003 NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars. He spent his first four seasons in Jacksonville (2003-06) and one season in Atlanta (2007) before signing with the Steelers in 2008.

Leftwich signed with Tampa Bay in April 2009 and started the first three games of the season for the Buccaneers before being placed on the Reserve/Injured List with an injured elbow. Leftwich has completed 900 of 1,545 passes (58.3 percent) for 10,218 yards, 58 touchdowns, 41 interceptions and a 79.6 passer-rating during his seven NFL seasons. He has started in 49 of the 57 games played during his NFL career.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10110/1051992-100.stm#ixzz0lhDplVsl

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Ide rather watch Batch throw the ball around while ben (if Ben) is suspended. Just becuase Batch has been with us for so long.

Steelers17
04-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Or that a draft day trade involving Ben is in the works....:stirthepot:

I see where you are going here! :wave:

steelpride12
04-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Byron filled in great when Ben was injured and surely he will play while Ben serves his suspension. I like the sound of that!

tomko89
04-20-2010, 09:52 PM
This is A slap in the face for both Dixon and Batch

Shoes
04-20-2010, 11:06 PM

No, it's football 2010.

steelerdude15
04-20-2010, 11:25 PM
I like how he can run an offense and this adds more depth. I see him starting at the beginning of the season. Bring us some wins Byron! :tt02:

pepsyman1
04-20-2010, 11:43 PM

It's not a slap in the face, it's reality. I love what Charlie Batch has brought to the team as a veteran leader and someone to help coach Ben along the way, but the reality is that Batch has never been all that effective on the field. When were one of THE top running teams that wasn't as important for a back up, but until we've really established that running game again I think Lefty would be far more effective leading the team and give Dixon someone legitimate to compete with in camp.

SteelerFanInATL
04-21-2010, 05:51 AM
How is Leftwich a " LEGIT " NFL QB ? Dude couldn't even beat out Freeman. And Freeman is just another
" Brother from another Mother ", NON-Pocket-passing QB...( Like Dixon,,at least according to SOME Drunken Bufoons here ) Even if it was just a 7th rounder, Lefty was in no way going to be a Buc. He was going to be released after the Draft. So Colbert " Paniced " on this one. Maybe Colbert has been hanging arounf " Ben " too much. Cause alot of Booze DOES affect your Brain cells.

YES, . what do you know, someone might have picked him up before us. Thats why they are the professionals while we are here on this board talking about could have or should have happened!!!:blah::blah::sofunny::sofunny:

Steelers>NFL
04-21-2010, 07:09 AM
This is great news. In the past several weeks, I thought the Steelers would have to give up a 5th for Leftwich.
But for a 7th only. Excellent value for a 7th.
Welcome Back Lefty!

KeiselPower99
04-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Happy to see Byron back with the Steelers. This dont hurt Ben at all just gives us a proven QB while Ben is gone. Nothing more nothing less.

memphissteelergirl
04-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Happy to see Byron back with the Steelers. This dont hurt Ben at all just gives us a proven QB while Ben is gone. Nothing more nothing less.

:iagree:

Good to have ya back, Lefty! :tt02: