PDA

View Full Version : Steelers trade 7th round pick for Byron Leftwich.

SS43Polamalu
04-20-2010, 06:02 PM
According to http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter we just traded for Byron Leftwich. I like this trade, in the little play time he had for the Steelers he looked solid and with Big Ben probably getting some sort of a suspension, this pick up is very nice.

AllD
04-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Now they don't need to draft an arm for camp.

chitownpit
04-20-2010, 06:40 PM
dont forget OL , but yes DEFENSE.I've always liked byron ,slow release,but he always scared me when we played against him and dispite the records of his past i think he can only help us.another small but intelligent move

SteelKnight
04-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure how i feel. I wanted to see more of Dixon. Leftwich has no touch. He rockets everything and makes his receivers look bad. I'm sure Sweed is not happy to hear the news.

Batch floats everything. Leftwich rockets everything.

My thoughts:

1.They must not have confidence in Dixon. This is his third year. Just play him already.
2. This means the Steelers will keep 4 QBs on the Roster until the suspension is over...then someone has to go...but who? Leftwich or Batch. I'm hoping Batch...nice guy but Leftwhich is better.
3. I hope Ben gets no more than 3 games. We need him back for Baltimore.

7willBheaven
04-20-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure how i feel. I wanted to see more of Dixon. Leftwich has no touch. He rockets everything and makes his receivers look bad. I'm sure Sweed is not happy to hear the news.

Batch floats everything. Leftwich rockets everything.

My thoughts:

1.They must not have confidence in Dixon. This is his third year. Just play him already.
2. This means the Steelers will keep 4 QBs on the Roster until the suspension is over...then someone has to go...but who? Leftwich or Batch. I'm hoping Batch...nice guy but Leftwhich is better.
3. I hope Ben gets no more than 3 games. We need him back for Baltimore.

Yet Dixon played an awesome game except for 1 play in OT against the Ravens...i think he can handle them just fine. And whos says Byron will be #2 behind Ben...nobody knows...

atlee731
04-20-2010, 08:46 PM
I think they might give Dixon a few starts while Ben's out and keep Leftwich as insurance. If he does well, Dixon could be #2, Leftwich #3, and Batch out when BB's back.

St33lersguy
04-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Wow, there is one good thing for the steelers this month. Give up basically nothing for a good backup and scrub player

chitownpit
04-21-2010, 12:43 AM
i highly dout that byron would start in front of dixon. dixon looked dam good other then one play . yea but so did neil o donnel.

Aussie_steeler
04-21-2010, 03:54 AM
Didnt we get a 7th round comp pick for losing Leftwich to free agency.

So in essence Leftwich paid for himself.

How many players can say that they paid for their own trade?

Aussie_steeler
04-21-2010, 03:56 AM
Sorry, My mistake.

Leftwich owes us 5 trade value points to say that he truly paid for himself

pancake
04-21-2010, 04:51 AM
This trade is for competition for the starter postion while Ben is out. Lefty not bad, Joe Montana in his prime would have looked bad on that Tampa team last year.

Galax Steeler
04-21-2010, 04:55 AM
This is not a bad pick up for a 7th rounder.

jollyrob68
04-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Didnt we get a 7th round comp pick for losing Leftwich to free agency.

So in essence Leftwich paid for himself.

How many players can say that they paid for their own trade?

Yes we got the 7th for him. LOL
I understand why the brought him back(knows system etc) But dont you think they should of went after Jason Campbell for a 6st rounder? Campbell is a legit starting QB LEftwich is now a backup.
Hell I'll go after Campbell and then Trade Ben:popcorn:

revefsreleets
04-21-2010, 02:35 PM
While Ben is suspended, we are still going to need 3 QB's on the roster. It's a month plus. And, you HAVE seen our offensive line, right? We could easily go from 3 QB's to 2 at any given instant.

This is just cheap insurance.

jollyrob68
04-21-2010, 02:55 PM
While Ben is suspended, we are still going to need 3 QB's on the roster. It's a month plus. And, you HAVE seen our offensive line, right? We could easily go from 3 QB's to 2 at any given instant.

This is just cheap insurance.

TRue, I like Leftwhich and Think we should add Jason Campbell to the mix.
What Happens if Dixon or anyone else is playing lights out and were undefeated when Ben comes back. What do you do?

Steelers>NFL
04-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Steelers extend Byron Leftwich's contract
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 21, 2010 2:14 PM ET
The Steelers wasted no time extending their Ben Roethlisberger insurance policy.

Byron Leftwich's contract was extended through 2011 Wednesday, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Leftwich's old deal originally ended in 2010.

This move is yet another sign the Steelers are preparing for life without Roethlisberger. (We're not saying he will be traded, but the Steelers are covering their bases.) Leftwich is clearly comfortable in Pittsburgh, and knows that starting jobs aren't awaiting him elsewhere.

Leftwich is expected to compete with Dennis Dixon to start during Roethlisberger's suspension.