PDA

View Full Version : What pick for Faneca?

SteelKnight
04-20-2010, 08:32 PM
The Jets have reportedly put LG Alan Faneca, DE Shaun Ellis, and OLB Bryan Thomas on the trade block.

According to Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post, the players may all be released after the draft if no takers are found. Though Faneca was voted to the 2009 Pro Bowl (undeservedly, again), he graded out poorly last season as a pass blocker and wasn't a difference maker in the running game. He's also due a $7.5 million base salary going on age 34.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This being said, what pick would you trade for Faneca if any?

I would trade a fifth round pick and I'd give Faneca a 3 year contract (where I can cut him the last year). I would put most of the bonus this year since this is an uncapped year and it won't count next year.

So he wants 8 million per year, give him a 15 million sining bonus then yearly salaries of 3 million per year. Remember that once they do the CBA, the signing bonus won't count against us.

So now I'm wondering wo is currently better Faneca or Kemoatu?

I definitly would not give a 4th round pick. We should have traded Santonio for Faneca stright up. lol

whatdoiknow
04-20-2010, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't take Faneca back if the JETS gave us a 3rd rounder to do so. He was great at one time. But he was grading out as a average O-Linemen when he was here his last 2 years. And, the Jets are gonna release him anyways, so why deal anything ?

SteelKnight
04-20-2010, 08:35 PM
One thing I forgot is maybe Kemo can play RG. That would give urbik some time to develop.

So Faneca LG and Kemo RG. If we ended up wit Pouncy, that might be an upgraded line.

SteelKnight
04-20-2010, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't take Faneca back if the JETS gave us a 3rd rounder to do so. He was great at one time. But he was grading out as a average O-Linemen when he was here his last 2 years. And, the Jets are gonna release him anyways, so why deal anything ?

One reason is you would have exclusive rights to him and it might be a little easier to negotiate his salary rather than compete (pricewise) for him. One thing I forgot is Faneca didn't like the zone blocking scheme so he might not be right.

Kemo is a mauler so I like the idea of Faneca, Pouncy and Kemo on the inside. Starks is not that bad.

SteelKnight
04-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Urbik couldnt beat out Foster how much more time does he need?

I'm not going to lie. I'm not high on Urbik. I feel the FO was forced to pick him to shut up the whining fans. All they complained about was drafting O-Line. Once I saw the Senior bowl practices and game, I saw he was no good. Duke Robinson was no good either. So what were they to do ...the fans would have had a heart attack with no OL.

Foster and Essex both looked pretty good to be honest.

chitownpit
04-20-2010, 09:07 PM
we could get a 21 year old equal to alan fanica with one of our multitude of mid round picks,even packaging a couple together . with an upside,not a downside . we need to get younger at OL . not older

Duds
04-20-2010, 09:25 PM
The Jets have reportedly put LG Alan Faneca, DE Shaun Ellis, and OLB Bryan Thomas on the trade block.

According to Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post, the players may all be released after the draft if no takers are found. Though Faneca was voted to the 2009 Pro Bowl (undeservedly, again), he graded out poorly last season as a pass blocker and wasn't a difference maker in the running game. He's also due a $7.5 million base salary going on age 34.

I would trade a fifth round pick and I'd give Faneca a 3 year contract (where I can cut him the last year). I would put most of the bonus this year since this is an uncapped year and it won't count next year.

So he wants 8 million per year, give him a 15 million sining bonus then yearly salaries of 3 million per year. Remember that once they do the CBA, the signing bonus won't count against us.

I definitly would not give a 4th round pick. We should have traded Santonio for Faneca stright up. lol

Faneca left on bad terms, he didn't give Zierlein a chance because he was ticked off about Grimm not getting the job...I don't think he would let a young Kugler coach him either. Plus he is past his prime.

steelerdave1969
04-20-2010, 09:31 PM

Steelknight, in my opinion Faneca was Overrated when he was here in Pittsburgh. I hope the Steelers tab either C/G Pouncey from Florida or Iupati from Idaho. If they get Pouncey then he can play Guard til Hartings is finished maybe the 2011 or 2012 season's.

Steely McSmash
04-20-2010, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't touch him with a trade. Jets overpaid for him.

I think he was a malcontent and they wouldn't want him back. Vet min if anything.

SteelerFanInStl
04-21-2010, 07:48 AM
None. I don't want him back for all of the reasons already stated.

jollyrob68
04-21-2010, 12:56 PM
I dont want him back after the way he acted in his last season here. The Cardinals will pick him up if the story is true.

wdsteel
04-21-2010, 01:54 PM
give them what we clean out of the practice field outhouse

SteelKnight
04-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Steelknight, in my opinion Faneca was Overrated when he was here in Pittsburgh. I hope the Steelers tab either C/G Pouncey from Florida or Iupati from Idaho. If they get Pouncey then he can play Guard til Hartings is finished maybe the 2011 or 2012 season's.

You know what's funny. People are finally starting to say what I said about probowls. Once you make it as a guard, you will keep making it because people don't know the names of all the guards so you ask them to pick a good guard and they are going to pick one they know has been pro bowl quality in the past.
Still. I wouldn't mind seeing Faneca back.