PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers schedule analysis

mesaSteeler
04-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers schedule analysis
April, 20, 2010
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/12047/steelers-schedule-analysis-2
By James Walker
Breakdown: The Pittsburgh Steelers will try to round back into championship form in 2010.

Although it feels longer, the Steelers were just hoisting the Lombardi Trophy one year ago. Since then, they struggled through a disappointing 9-7 season and faced numerous off-the-field trouble that we will get to later.

Pittsburgh and the AFC North will match up against the NFC South and AFC East this year, which will provide an interesting slate of games. The AFC East, led by the New York Jets and New England Patriots, is expected to be one of the most balanced divisions in the conference, along with the AFC North.

Complaint department: Pittsburgh's strength of schedule is rated No. 21. So there aren't an overwhelming amount of brutal games on the team's schedule. But the toughest stretch this season will begin on Halloween.

The Steelers play an unusual trio of three consecutive primetime games. It starts Oct. 31 on the road against the defending champion New Orleans Saints. Pittsburgh then hosts the Cincinnati Bengals on "Monday Night Football" Nov. 8, followed by a Sunday night game against the Patriots on Nov. 14. These three games will be a great measuring stick for the Steelers.

No Big Ben: If things go as expected, the NFL will suspend Steelers starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger approximately two to four games for violating the league's personal conduct policy. Although no criminal charges were filed, Roethlisberger faced two accusations of sexual assault in the past two years and that was enough to catch commissioner Roger Goodell's attention.

According to the schedule, it appears the Atlanta Falcons and Tennessee Titans are the biggest beneficiaries, because they probably won't face Roethlisberger in the first two weeks. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Baltimore Ravens also could see Pittsburgh's backup quarterback under center if the suspension reaches four games.

Steelers Regular Season Schedule (All times Eastern)
Week 1: Sunday, Sep. 12, Atlanta, 1:00 PM
Week 2: Sunday, Sep. 19, at Tennessee, 1:00 PM
Week 3: Sunday, Sep. 26, at Tampa Bay, 1:00 PM
Week 4: Sunday, Oct. 3, Baltimore, 1:00 PM
Week 5: BYE
Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 17, Cleveland, 1:00 PM
Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 24, at Miami, 1:00 PM
Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 31, at New Orleans, 8:20 PM
Week 9: Monday, Nov. 8, at Cincinnati, 8:30 PM
Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 14, New England, 8:20 PM
Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 21, Oakland, 1:00 PM
Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 28, at Buffalo, 1:00 PM
Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 5, at Baltimore, 8:20 PM
Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 12, Cincinnati, 1:00 PM
Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 19, NY Jets, 4:15 PM
Week 16: Thursday, Dec. 23, Carolina, 8:20 PM
Week 17: Sunday, Jan. 2, at Cleveland, 1:00 PM

steelerdave1969
04-20-2010, 09:42 PM
I personally think the Steelers have a very tough schedule this upcoming season. To open vs the Falcons will be tough even though its home, with or without Ben that would be a tough game vs a team that should be playing to prove that 2008 was not a fluke for that fairly young team. Then comes the Titans, well this is and should be a blood bath. Without Ben will make it very tough to go to their home stadium and try to steal a win. The Buc's should be improved but the Steelers with or without Ben should handle them. The Ravens in week 4 ?. . . well we all know how this rivalry has really built its way up. I think the Steelers can be atleast 2-2 coming out of this or maybe even 3-1.
Weeks 8-10 will be brutal by all means I hope we are running on all 8 cylinders for that stretch. I will save my predictions til a little later on though.

NEPAsteeler
04-20-2010, 09:54 PM
This season's certainly not going to be a cake walk. Gotta have faith though.

Is it September yet?!

zulater
04-20-2010, 10:19 PM
This season's certainly not going to be a cake walk. Gotta have faith though.

Is it September yet?!

In 2008 the schedule looked like a freaking bear and mostly lived up to it's billing and yet the Steelers went out and secured the conference's 2 seed and ended up winning it all.

Converlsy last years schedule looked like a cake walk, and was, but somehow we kept tripping over cupcakes? :doh:

In other words, it's not about the schedule it's about who the 2010 Steelers are. :tt04: :helmet:

Steel_Bus_24
04-20-2010, 10:33 PM
In 2008 the schedule looked like a freaking bear and mostly lived up to it's billing and yet the Steelers went out and secured the conference's 2 seed and ended up winning it all.

Converlsy last years schedule looked like a cake walk, and was, but somehow we kept tripping over cupcakes? :doh:

In other words, it's not about the schedule it's about who the 2010 Steelers are. :tt04: :helmet:

we better damm well put teams away this year.....no more of this 13-6 crap with teams like the browns

I got so sick and tired seeing all the other decent teams effortlessly destroy inferior competition last year and yet the defending champs are barely ahead or trailing going into the 4th:banging:

NEPAsteeler
04-20-2010, 10:40 PM

The sad part is you're absolutely right. Even last year, we beat the good teams but got beaten by the poop teams. We have to treat EVERY team the same and not play down to our competition!

Stu Pidasso
04-20-2010, 11:04 PM
There's absolutely no reason why we can't go 12-4 at worst.

polamalubeast
04-20-2010, 11:10 PM

:thumbsup::tt03:

steelerohio
04-20-2010, 11:16 PM
I think we'll be fine... just as long as we don;t underestimate any of the teams

go Steelers! :tt03:

steelerdude15
04-20-2010, 11:21 PM
This is going to be tough, but I feel they'll be about 10-6 or 11-5. It's weird how weeks 8-10 are all night games.

wootawnee
04-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Gotta love the 3 straight home games in December......Its a Good time to not travel....

JackHammer
04-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Gotta love the 3 straight home games in December......Its a Good time to not travel....

Especially when you're home field is Heinz Field :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
04-21-2010, 03:37 AM

Is the 4 losses going to be the ones that Big Ben is suspended.:chuckle:

KeiselPower99
04-21-2010, 08:20 AM
13-3 this year!!!!

steelcity1974
04-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Key players need to stay healthy. Key players need to stay out of trouble. If we can do that, I'll put the Steelers up against any other team, in any stadium, at any time. We need to get our swaggar back...it's time to take back what's righfully ours...the AFC North and the Super Bowl. I'm ready to go and it's only April!!

SteelerFanInStl
04-21-2010, 08:47 AM

Exactly.

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2010, 09:02 AM
STUPID EFFING FALCONS!

I HATE THEM! DIRTY BIRDS ARE GONNA HAVE THEIR WINGS CUT OFF AND FRIED ON THE GRILL!!!

DEATH TO ATLANTA!!! DEATH I SAY!!!

Ricco Suavez
04-21-2010, 09:10 AM
I am withholding my prediction for this season right now. I want to see what changes we make on the defensive side of the ball. Plus I would like to see how this thing plays out with Ben. A lot of questions lurk around the Steelers right now. Hopefully we begin to find answers starting this week with the draft and Rogers verdict.

BigBen'sSwagger
04-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Damn another early bye week what's up with us always getting screwed on the bye week??? Not only that but it's on my birthday and is the perfect week to play. 10/10/10 CRAP!!!

Men of Steel
04-21-2010, 09:54 AM
im exited about the new season. the first few games will show how tough the 2010 steelers REALLY are.. without big ben. i think that could work in our favor. to show the team they can survive without ben, and that WITH HIM they are that much better, maybe even unstoppable. three straight night games is SWEET. and three straight home games in DEC. i cant wait.

oh yes... and the saints on Halloween. really lookin forward to this year.

GO STEELERS!!!!! :tt03:

SteelGhost
04-21-2010, 03:19 PM
I am withholding my prediction for this season right now. I want to see what changes we make on the defensive side of the ball. Plus I would like to see how this thing plays out with Ben. A lot of questions lurk around the Steelers right now. Hopefully we begin to find answers starting this week with the draft and Rogers verdict.

I'm with you Ricco, the defensive side of the ball has to be addressed adequately in the draft.