PDA

View Full Version : Steelers: More prominent role suits Wallace

polamalubeast
04-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Steelers: More prominent role suits Wallace
Spring Practice
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians would be thrilled if the Steelers could find another receiver in the NFL draft like Mike Wallace, the rookie sensation who was plucked in the third round last year.

For now, though, he is looking forward to Wallace taking the next step and replacing Santonio Holmes as their starting split end.

"I've not had a rookie wide receiver play that well in 12 years," Arians said. "He was consistent; not perfect, but consistent. He didn't hit the wall. He played well all the way through the end.

"It was a great start for him. He should come into this year with a ton of confidence."

Wallace will need it.

Two weeks ago, he was going to be the Steelers' third receiver again behind Holmes and veteran Hines Ward. After a rookie season in which he averaged a team-high 19.6 yards per catch and caught six touchdowns passes, Wallace was expected to be more of a factor in the offense, even with the free-agent signing of veteran Antwaan Randle El.

But, when Holmes was unexpectedly traded to the New York Jets, the expectations on Wallace suddenly increased.

Not that he has a problem with that.

"I was kind of surprised because I didn't see it coming," Wallace said Tuesday after the second day of offseason practice. "My reaction to it is, it's a business. And we understand the business we're in, so we have to move on. He was a great teammate and a great friend to me, but I'm going to do my best to step up and take his place."

Then he added: "I'm always looking forward to the challenge, even if 'Tone was here. What I did was last year, that was my rookie year. I was looking to take a step forward anyway, whether he was here or not. But, without him, we have to keep moving."

Wallace was the second-fastest receiver in the draft last season and he quickly and routinely used his speed to outrace the coverage. Of his 39 catches, seven were 40 yards or longer, four of those for touchdowns.

"Without 'Tone here, that's one less leader we have," Wallace said. "So, it's time for someone else to step up and, hopefully, it will be me."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10111/1052034-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0lhs9DWiB

steelerdude15
04-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Good, I like Wallace a lot and he seems to have a good amount of talent.

wootawnee
04-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Me too.....Reminds me of Stallworth how he conducts himself.......

tony hipchest
04-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians would be thrilled if the Steelers could find another receiver in the NFL draft like Mike Wallace, the rookie sensation who was plucked in the third round last year.:rolleyes:

just shut up and run the ball, brucey.

all you and ben need, to score more, is to pretend the endzone is a public restroom in a bar...

polamalubeast
04-21-2010, 12:41 AM
:rolleyes:

just shut up and run the ball, brucey.

all you and ben need to score more is to pretend the endzone is a public restroom in a bar..

:toofunny::rofl:

whatdoiknow
04-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Lets hope Wallace doesn't follow the path of Nate Washington. Another " Super fast " WR who had a good first year with us as a 3rd WR. And then never lived up to that first season. Lets hope Wallace has more success.

tony hipchest
04-21-2010, 12:51 AM
Lets hope Wallace doesn't follow the path of Nate Washington. Another " Super fast " WR who had a good first year with us as a 3rd WR. And then never lived up to that first season. Lets hope Wallace has more success.

n. washingtons 1st year with us completely sucked. WTF are you talking about?

oh, i forgot....

whatdouknow

even his second year wasnt shit in comparrisson to wallace as a rookie. infact, wallace pretty much topped out washingtons career highs in his first year.

but then again...

whatdouknow

whatdoiknow
04-21-2010, 01:27 AM
You fool. I said Nate's first year as a WR with us. Nate was a undrafted free agent in 2005. Spent most of that first year on the PS, or when he was dressed, on ST play. But in 2006, he first started playing WR. And he surprised as our 3rd WR catching 35 for624 Yds. And Nate has never lived up to those numbers since. He totally was a average WR for Tennessee last season. And they paid him a new deal like he was a starter.
When a Rookie first plays, he has the advantage cause teams have never seen him before on a consistent basis. Wallace WON'T have that advantage this season. He can't rest on his laurels. He has to continue to step it up. Otherwise he won't be anything more than the next Nate Washington, or Troy Edwards. Both of whom had good first seasons as a WR.

Get it now Genius ?

Galax Steeler
04-21-2010, 03:41 AM
I think Wallace will step it up this year. He knows how to run his routes and get open. Other then Ward I would say he is going to be a better receiver that the Steelers has seen in years. I have confidence in him.

kirklandrules
04-21-2010, 08:12 AM
When a Rookie first plays, he has the advantage cause teams have never seen him before on a consistent basis. Wallace WON'T have that advantage this season.

I don't think this really applies in the NFL. At least in the second part of last season I can guarantee opposing defensive coordinators knew how fast and how good Wallace was. You might sneak up on the first few opponents in a rookie year, but guys like LeBeau and his peers across the league are paid well to know who they have to stop ... and they watch a lot of game film to figure these things out.

The good news is even though most of the league knew he was fast and had good hands Wallace still torched defenses. That's comfort to us Steelers fans to know that he really was that good as a rookie.

steelpride12
04-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Wallace will only improve from this season out. He was a steal in the draft and I know he will learn a lot from the veterans with Ward and El and I know this kid will be the best someday!

SteelKid212
04-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Steelers: More prominent role suits Wallace
Spring Practice
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"I was kind of surprised because I didn't see it coming," Wallace said Tuesday after the second day of offseason practice. "My reaction to it is, it's a business. And we understand the business we're in, so we have to move on. He was a great teammate and a great friend to me, but I'm going to do my best to step up and take his place."

"Without 'Tone here, that's one less leader we have," Wallace said. "So, it's time for someone else to step up and, hopefully, it will be me."

exactly the attitude he should have. Guy is FOCUSED on football and on winning.
lets go WALLACE!!!!! :tt03:

SteelKid212
04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
n. washingtons 1st year with us completely sucked. WTF are you talking about?

oh, i forgot....

whatdouknow

even his second year wasnt shit in comparrisson to wallace as a rookie. infact, wallace pretty much topped out washingtons career highs in his first year.

but then again...

whatdouknow

:flap::chuckle:

Prok
04-21-2010, 11:41 AM
I think Wallace will eventually be better than Santonio was. And no way I'd compare him to Nate Washington. I haven't seen ANY inconsistencies with his catching. unless I missed something ??

I also believe his route running is way ahead of the curve.