PDA

View Full Version : If the Jets waive Faneca...

ThePitts
04-21-2010, 10:46 AM
would the Steelers be interested?

What do you think?

BlastFurnace
04-21-2010, 10:48 AM
No. I bet Faneca burned his bridges pretty good here.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Why would the jets waive Faneca? Did he jay walk and run past a granny trying to cross the street and now charges are being filed on him for speeding? That might get him an 8 game suspension.

Than again jets like the bad boy persona now, lol

Curtain_of_Steel
04-21-2010, 10:56 AM
My bad, missed the jets article.

hope he enjoyed the pay he received there. But no one is going to take that contract. Jets luck out in an uncapped year to swallow 5mill plus.

truesteelerfan
04-21-2010, 10:57 AM
I think right now with the Retro trend we've been on this spring of re-signing our old players, I wouldn't be surprised if we looked at him. Can he or Kemo play RG?

ThePitts
04-21-2010, 11:02 AM
At Louisiana State he was chosen as All-American first-team right guard by the Associated Press, Football Writers Association, Football News, The Sporting News and Walter Camp in his final year (1997).

HometownGal
04-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Though I wouldn't mind having him back on the OL, as someone said above - he burned his bridges with the Steelers so I don't think it's going to happen if the Jets boot him.

Men of Steel
04-21-2010, 12:35 PM
too dam old. still a good player. but not worth the risk.

ThePitts
04-21-2010, 12:42 PM
even with him being older, with the great chance we will be without Ben for at least 4 games if not longer, we might need to do everything we can to shore up the O Line.

Ben is a unique animal back there, able to manuver around behind the line the way he does, shrugging off sure tackles. I don't see our backups having the same success at buying time without a stronger line. Faneca could help immediately. That may not be something a rookie we draft can provide in the first 4 weeks

but like some of you have said, he did burn some bridges

Rick5895
04-21-2010, 12:48 PM
I wold absolutley welcome him back, He was and still is the best OL we would have had since Dawson. Faneca and Kemo at guard, I get excited thinking about it, LOL.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
even with him being older, with the great chance we will be without Ben for at least 4 games if not longer, we might need to do everything we can to shore up the O Line.

Ben is a unique animal back there, able to manuver around behind the line the way he does, shrugging off sure tackles. I don't see our backups having the same success at buying time without a stronger line. Faneca could help immediately. That may not be something a rookie we draft can provide in the first 4 weeks

but like some of you have said, he did burn some bridges

The offensive line was really bad his final year here. So it's not like bringing in Faneca would fix the problem.

If he's being cut by the Jets who are in "win it this year" mode....then he damn sure wouldn't help us win it this year.

ThePitts
04-21-2010, 01:13 PM
I believe he was selected to the pro bowl last year. I don't know what may have changed this off season between Faneca and the Jets, but I doubt he doesn't still have what it takes to improve our line.

It may be simply a financial situation. The Jets are taking on a lot of contracts this off season and this is the best time to cut a player carrying a large contract with the CBA situation the way it is.

devilsdancefloor
04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
I dont want him back we need youth on the OL and i think he was past his prime before we let him go. Plus he was a douche when he left.

MACH1
04-21-2010, 01:30 PM
He was 30 when he left, why would the the Steelers resign him now thats he's 34? Not gonna happen!

Men of Steel
04-21-2010, 02:52 PM
He was 30 when he left, why would the the Steelers resign him now thats he's 34? Not gonna happen!

^ this. thank you.

The Duke
04-21-2010, 11:41 PM
as a backup for league minimum? sure

but not gonna happen

Galax Steeler
04-22-2010, 04:41 AM
Nope don't want him back.

illmatic
04-22-2010, 04:57 AM
No. I bet Faneca burned his bridges pretty good here.

What did he do?

RoethlisBURGHer
04-22-2010, 06:34 AM
I believe he was selected to the pro bowl last year. I don't know what may have changed this off season between Faneca and the Jets, but I doubt he doesn't still have what it takes to improve our line.

It may be simply a financial situation. The Jets are taking on a lot of contracts this off season and this is the best time to cut a player carrying a large contract with the CBA situation the way it is.

He was selected to the Pro Bowl on name recognition, not on the fact that he deserved to be there. Is he still a good offensive lineman? Yeah. But he's not Pro Bowl material anymore.

zulater
04-22-2010, 07:22 AM
For one or two years at the right price I'd love to plug him into the right guard slot. When was the last time the Steelers had a decent right guard anyway?