PDA

View Full Version : Letter to the arsehat ruining the NFL

stlrtruck
04-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Dear Commissioner Goodell:

This letter is a fan’s perspective on the state of the NFL. It covers many areas of concern and will hopefully bring to your attention the disgruntledness of the fans of the 32 teams that make up the NFL.

First, I would like to address the lack of consistency with your officiating crews. It seems that over the past three years you have attempted to bring consistency to the officiating. However, it is evident that there is not enough off-field training on the current rules of the game. It shows weekly, and it seems to show its ugly head during games that are detrimental to conference standings. It has also become apparent that officials also hold a different standard for ‘elite’ players; players named Brady, Manning, and Farve come to mind.

Second, the new rules that have been instituted over the last few years, supposedly in the name of ‘safety’ are nothing more than the pansification of the league. It seems that the NFL has forgotten what football is truly about. It’s not about high scoring offenses, and non-attacking defenses (ala the Pro Bowl), but it’s about hard hits, and aggressive style of play (both offensively and defensively). These new rules have taken away from what the true fan of ‘The Game” desire when they watch football. I must say commissioner; this is NOT the game of football that I grew up playing nor watching. What you are turning this game in to is the National Flag Football League. While fans generally understand the need for player safety, you’re stealing the pleasure of the game from the fan. And that Commissioner Goodell, is the hard hits, and hard nosed football. Please, if you value the fans, the real fans, the ones that teach their children about the REAL game, then please put this game back in alignment with how it’s supposed to be played.

Third, changing up the draft to 3 days. Really? This was in no way necessary. It doesn’t bring more to the fans, it takes more time, and it’s annoying. Do you even research decisions before you make them? Do you attempt to get the heartbeat of the fans? I’ve always dreamed of coming to NY to watch the draft, but guess what Commissioner? With it now being held on Thursday, I can’t realistically do that due to other responsibilities. Like most fans, our lives can not continue to expand while you make bonehead decisions like the draft schedule change, like the additional game on Thanksgiving, like games on the NFL Network – that most people can’t get without paying an additional fee to their cable providers.

Fourth, is the limited access to the NFL Network. This is ridiculous that the NFL can not provide a better opportunity for the NFL Network to be available to all fans without an additional charge. The NFL makes a millions, if not billions of dollars from advertising, merchandising, and tickets sales but yet they refuse to make concessions in certain areas to bring the game closer to the fans. In essence what you are saying Commissioner Goodell is that you are not worried about the fans, but instead more about the bottom line.

Fifth, you insist and continue to stand on your moral soapbox and change everything at a moments notice. Let’s go back a few years ago when it was finally revealed, what most fans already knew – the Patriots were breaking the rules. Ah, Spygate. What did you do? Basically you fined the coach and the team what realistically was a minimal fine and had no teeth in your so-called ‘integrity’ for the game. Then you have the Adam Jones and Chris Henry situations. In which you continued to promote the ‘integrity’ of the game. You seemed to jump the gun and make a knee-jerk reaction to these two players. Fast Forward to Michael Vick, and his criminal activities. You gave him a conditional reinstatement to the league after he served his time. This is probably the only situation I believe you handled with any fairness. Now here we are 2010 and Ben Roethlisberger has not been charged and yet you are establishing a 6 game conditional suspension, for a man not even charged with a crime. And yet you allowed Vick back on the field after two games. So I guess in your eyes it’s ok to to kill animals, but not okay to be accused of a crime? Please explain this, not just to me but to all the fans. From a fan’s perspective you are picking and choosing which players get leniency and which players get the hammer. You have been inconsistent at best with your discipline and maintaining the ‘integrity’ of the league. Your dislike for certain teams and players is evident and what’s sad is that no one has called you out for it. Well, I’m calling you out Commissioner Goodell, where is your INTEGRITY? Where is your HONESTY? where is your STANDARD? Where is your FOCUS?

Finally, why not focus your attention away from individual players and turn it to something more relevant to your position and title. The current CBA, the potential lock out, the forth coming removal of the salary cap, etc. While you prance around all ‘high and mighty’ you have failed to make progress on key areas that truly affect the league and its fans. You will be judged on two things that happen in the NFL. One being the consistent inconsistency of your discipline and the other being how well you turn the league from the course it is currently on.

The state of the NFL is bleak with the way that you are running the league. Every year you make it a disappointment to be a fan, not just any specific team, but of the league! And to be honest with you, YOU SUCK AS THE NFL COMMISSIONER! Straight forward enough for you? You want to truly understand the game and the fans, why not venture out to team forums and see how they receive you and your actions.

Sincerely one pissed off fan,

steelerdude15
04-21-2010, 03:18 PM
:thumbsup:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-21-2010, 04:30 PM
:applaudit::thumbsup:

I couldn't have worded it better myself.

stlrtruck
04-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Maybe if more fans were to respond to his inconsistency, then maybe he'd get it that we THE FANS aren't happy with him and the path the league is on.

Indo
04-21-2010, 05:10 PM
If you were actually to consider sending that to him I would be happy to sign it

Edit:

But you would have to change the word "pansification" to "pussification" :thumbsup:

SMR
04-21-2010, 05:35 PM
If you were actually to consider sending that to him I would be happy to sign it

Edit:

But you would have to change the word "pansification" to "pussification" :thumbsup:

I SECOND that!

:tt04::tt04:

stlrtruck
04-21-2010, 05:38 PM

Edit:

I SECOND that!

:tt04::tt04:

I sent it to him already, but you're more than welcome to change the wording and send him another copy.

stillers4me
04-21-2010, 05:44 PM
The only thing I would change is about MIcharel Vick. Vick was not convicted for killing dogs. He was funding and running an illegal interstate gambling ring which happened to involved the killing of dogs. Big difference.

It's the same as the people going aruund saying that Clinton was impeached for having sex with an intern. That is not true. He was impeached for lying under oath.

Sharkissle29
04-21-2010, 06:24 PM
well done, let us know if you get any feedback.

steelerohio
04-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Well said, especially about the NFl Network. WHile you're at it, mention something about the NFL package being way too overpriced. $315 for one season just so we can watch one team? With the Steelers having 5 primetime national games, it's seems pretty much pointless right now... Though it might be worth it to avoid the airing of the Bungles (but don;t mention that part...)

kmsteelerwr15
04-21-2010, 10:57 PM
That is awesome!!!!! :drink:

Psyychoward86
04-22-2010, 12:01 AM
:bowdown:

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 10:01 AM
The only thing I would change is about MIcharel Vick. Vick was not convicted for killing dogs. He was funding and running an illegal interstate gambling ring which happened to involved the killing of dogs. Big difference.

It's the same as the people going aruund saying that Clinton was impeached for having sex with an intern. That is not true. He was impeached for lying under oath.

Clinton was never impeached, he just had his two terms and moved out. But to your point, I understand what you mean.

In my eyes though, the commish is still saying that the actions of killing dogs was ok compared to be accused of something. Sends the wrong message, and as a fan I'm tired of his reign over the NFL.

Indo
04-22-2010, 11:02 AM
I sent it to him already

Excellent.
Let us know if you get any response, but I'm guessing that the High-and-Mighty-One won't have the balls to respond to you.

The guy can't be that stupid, right?
He HAS to know that he's single-handedly effing up the Greatest Game on the Planet..

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Excellent.
Let us know if you get any response, but I'm guessing that the High-and-Mighty-One won't have the balls to respond to you.

The guy can't be that stupid, right?
He HAS to know that he's single-handedly effing up the Greatest Game on the Planet..

Actually the NFL Office has sent responses to my letters. And if he sends one to this letter, then I'll definitely post it here.

But I'm guessing God-ell is not intelligent enough to see that he's ruining the game.