PDA

View Full Version : Steelers extend Leftwich's contract

polamalubeast
04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Steelers extend Leftwich's contract
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
One day after acquiring quarterback Byron Leftwich in a trade, the Steelers extended his contract.

Leftwich had one year left on the contract he signed last year with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Steelers today added one more year to the deal that now extends through the 2011 season.

Tampa Bay, which signed Leftwich as an unrestricted free agent from the Steelers last year, traded him back to the Steelers for their seventh-round draft choice. The Steelers still have a seventh-round pick as a compensatory choice, one of 10 picks they will have in the three-day draft that begins Thursday.

Leftwich arrived at the Steelers facility this morning, went through a physical and signed his contract. He, Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon will be in the mix to replace starter Ben Roethlisberger, expected to be suspended today by the NFL to begin the 2010 season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10111/1052200-100.stm#ixzz0ljtMIa28

SteelKid212
04-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Steelers extend Leftwich's contract
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
One day after acquiring quarterback Byron Leftwich in a trade, the Steelers extended his contract.

Leftwich had one year left on the contract he signed last year with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Steelers today added one more year to the deal that now extends through the 2011 season.

Tampa Bay, which signed Leftwich as an unrestricted free agent from the Steelers last year, traded him back to the Steelers for their seventh-round draft choice. The Steelers still have a seventh-round pick as a compensatory choice, one of 10 picks they will have in the three-day draft that begins Thursday.

Leftwich arrived at the Steelers facility this morning, went through a physical and signed his contract. He, Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon will be in the mix to replace starter Ben Roethlisberger, expected to be suspended today by the NFL to begin the 2010 season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10111/1052200-100.stm#ixzz0ljtMIa28

and do you wanna know WHY they extended his contract??
because BEN is gonna be TRADED pretty soon. thats why.

i can totally see it coming now.

stlrtruck
04-21-2010, 02:48 PM

I hope you're wrong. And if they are going to trade him, I hope they get a #1 next year as well so they can find another franchise QB.

AndyWitmyer
04-21-2010, 02:51 PM
This is a VERY interesting development. I don't know if this assures that Ben will be traded, but it certainly lends a lot of weight to that theory. Then again, they might have realized that Batch - for as great of a mentor and team player that he is - he's not really adding all that much in terms of depth at the QB position.

So maybe they would've offered Leftwich an extension regardless - hard to say.

SteelGhost
04-21-2010, 03:47 PM

Because Charlie Batch is very fragile :noidea:

steeltheone
04-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes he gets hurt every 13 snaps...

NEPAsteeler
04-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Yeah... I kind of think this has more to do with Batch than with Ben to be honest. But, who knows. Only time will tell.

Edman
04-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Lefty gets a contract extension? Ben is as good as gone now.

Prok
04-21-2010, 04:36 PM

The writing does appear to be on the wall.

Let's see, we got Batch and Lefty both on 2 year deals. Dixon is the youngster developing. Oh yeah, we got our stop-gaps for now until the kid is ready.....

:banging: :banging: :banging:

steelreserve
04-21-2010, 04:37 PM

That certainly worries the hell out of me. I like Leftwich as a stand-in, but if we really DID trade Ben, I'd want someone better as the long-term replacement.

Hopefully it just means Batch is going to be shown the door after Week 6.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Who would you rather have as your immediate backup quarterback?

Charlie Batch? He's more fragile than fine crystal.

Dennis Dixon? He's got talent, but he's only started one game in the NFL (a loss) and he really didn't throw it much. His overtime interception was a big part of that loss. The coaching staff is high on him, but probably not high enough to be the starter for four to six games.

Lefty? He's been a starter before. He's been to the playoffs. He's got the best record as a starter than Dixon and Batch. I would rather have him as the #2 and Dixon as the emergency #3. Batch can be added to the coaching staff.

solardave
04-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Lefty gets a contract extension? Ben is as good as gone now.
Davis will give us his #8 this year and his first round pick for next year. You watch and see. It'll be OK.

SteelKnight
04-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Just when Sweed had mastered the spin from a righty...now you put a new spin on the ball? lol I'm nervous about this whole Raider talk thing.

I heard that 60% of Pitt will NOT support Ben this year. I'm not from Pitt but I wonder are these the guys or their wives in this poll.

SteelKnight
04-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Who would you rather have as your immediate backup quarterback?

Charlie Batch? He's more fragile than fine crystal.

Dennis Dixon? He's got talent, but he's only started one game in the NFL (a loss) and he really didn't throw it much. His overtime interception was a big part of that loss. The coaching staff is high on him, but probably not high enough to be the starter for four to six games.

Lefty? He's been a starter before. He's been to the playoffs. He's got the best record as a starter than Dixon and Batch. I would rather have him as the #2 and Dixon as the emergency #3. Batch can be added to the coaching staff.

Honestly, I'd rather see Dixon developed. I think e would develp faster if he knew he was the man and had a long stretch to lead.

Preacher
04-21-2010, 04:54 PM
That certainly worries the hell out of me. I like Leftwich as a stand-in, but if we really DID trade Ben, I'd want someone better as the long-term replacement.

Hopefully it just means Batch is going to be shown the door after Week 6.

You gotta stop posting like this. Its a little frightening how much I am having to agree with you.

:chuckle:

SteelKnight
04-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Davis will give us his #8 this year and his first round pick for next year. You watch and see. It'll be OK.

No. It won't be OK. The Steelers are built around 2 people and everyone else can be replaced. Ben and Troy. It WON'T be OK to lose either.

steeldawg
04-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Ya our front office is not going to trade ben and replace him with byron.

KeiselPower99
04-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Dixon reminds me too much of Kordell. As for Byron being extended didnt the Steelers offer him a 3 year deal last year before he signed with the Bucs? I think this has more to do with Batch being number 3 until Ben comes back and Dixon gets the 3rd QB job then.

Prok
04-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Ya our front office is not going to trade ben and replace him with byron.

Would you agree that it seems rather odd that we have Batch AND Lefty on 2 year deals ?

Sorry but i'm thinking stop-gap.

:banging:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Would you agree that it seems rather odd that we have Batch AND Lefty on 2 year deals ?

Sorry but i'm thinking stop-gap.

:banging:

No, not really. Batch is like an extra coach. He's fragile and the coaching staff knows this. He can tear his ACL in his sleep. He also isn't that good of a QB. He's smart, but he isn't going to throw for 300 yards and 3 TD's in a shootout, we'd lose a game like that with Batch.

Lefty however, he's been a successful starter. He's not a franchise QB however. He's a backup that can come in for multiple games and win a majority of those games.

When Ben comes back from suspension, Batch will be released and the order of the QB hierarchy in Pittsburgh will be Roethlisberger, Lefty, Dixon.

I don't see Ben being traded. Not unless we get some super deal from a team in exchange for Roethlisberger.

Prok
04-21-2010, 08:05 PM
No, not really. Batch is like an extra coach. He's fragile and the coaching staff knows this. He can tear his ACL in his sleep. He also isn't that good of a QB. He's smart, but he isn't going to throw for 300 yards and 3 TD's in a shootout, we'd lose a game like that with Batch.

Lefty however, he's been a successful starter. He's not a franchise QB however. He's a backup that can come in for multiple games and win a majority of those games.

When Ben comes back from suspension, Batch will be released and the order of the QB hierarchy in Pittsburgh will be Roethlisberger, Lefty, Dixon.

I don't see Ben being traded. Not unless we get some super deal from a team in exchange for Roethlisberger.

Good post. But the whole 2 year deal for each QB strikes me as odd. Agree that we won't carry 4 QB's on the roster this yr.

I just don't quite grasp the idea that we have Dixon supposedly being the young gun learning while Batch was signed to 2 year deal as backup. Then we go and trade for Leftwich? Why couldn't we have just traded for Lefty and NOT re-signed Batch?

Now we carry 4 QB's on our roster the first few games of the season? I think the FO and CS would value the roster spots. :noidea:

Steely McSmash
04-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Good post. But the whole 2 year deal for each QB strikes me as odd. Agree that we won't carry 4 QB's on the roster this yr.

I just don't quite grasp the idea that we have Dixon supposedly being the young gun learning while Batch was signed to 2 year deal as backup. Then we go and trade for Leftwich? Why couldn't we have just traded for Lefty and NOT re-signed Batch?

Now we carry 4 QB's on our roster the first few games of the season? I think the FO and CS would value the roster spots. :noidea:

I think that while BR is suspended he does not take up a roster spot. So my guess is we cut Batch when BR comes back. (assuming batch can make it that far without injury)

To those saying Dixon has no experience and shouldn't be started, how is he supposed to get experience if you never start the guy? This is a good opportunity to get him some reps with Lefty as a backup if Dixon starts to lose it. I personally think Dixon will step up decently. It'd give him the opportunity to get his revenge on the Ravens too.

Signing him to an extension allows the team to give him a bonus and lock him in. Good deal all around. I'm sure it's not huge cash.