View Full Version : Steelers 2010 draft: Prediction By Jim Wexell

mesaSteeler
04-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Steelers 2010 draft: Prediction
http://pit.scout.com/2/964369.html
By Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Apr 21, 2010

SteelCityInsider.com publisher Jim Wexell’s draft series on the Pittsburgh Steelers concludes with the prediction.

We all know what happens – to you and me – when we assume.

But let’s assume, for the sake of meeting deadline, that the Pittsburgh Steelers have not traded Ben Roethlisberger. Let’s assume they only called those teams Wednesday as part of their standard operating procedure before every draft. And let’s assume the Steelers are still holding the 18th pick and, with that, are looking to fill one of their two greatest and neverending needs.

That would be cornerback and the interior of the offensive line.

The top interior linemen are Mike Iupati and Maurkice Pouncey. Iupati is a large, powerful and mobile man who could probably add 20 pounds to his 331-pound frame and still pull from left guard into the strong side, a la Alan Faneca and Chris Kemoeatu, and mash people as he did all last season for the Idaho Vandals.

However, Iupati’s stock appears to be skyrocketing. It’s now doubtful he’ll be available at pick 18.

Pouncey is the 20-year-old center from Florida. He opened up the holes for Tim Tebow on Tebow’s many mad dashes up the middle. Pouncey can pass block, too. He’s not Dermontti Dawson. He’s not a blue-chip athlete. He probably should be ranked lower than 18th, but he’s a smart and passionate player who’ll hold down the position for 10 years and give the Steelers play similar to that of Andre Gurode of the Dallas Cowboys.

Pouncey is my prediction to land with the Steelers, but he’s not really all that exciting, is he?

Mr. Excitement, to me, would be Texas free safety Earl Thomas, a redshirt sophomore who intercepted eight passes last season. He’s as big (or small) as Troy Polamalu, and perhaps only a couple hundredths of a second slower in the 40.

At that size, Thomas could fall to 18 and the Steelers would have a difficult decision, since they re-signed Ryan Clark, acquired Will Allen, and rehabilitated Polamalu this offseason. Thomas would be something of a luxury – but then again, he’d bring much-needed ball skills to the Iron Skillet of NFL secondaries.

Another exciting alternative, if possible, would be to trade down to draft a cornerback.

There isn’t an elite cornerback in this draft. Put on the tape of the SEC title game and you can make an argument that Kareem Jackson of Alabama is a better player than Joe Haden of Florida.

The Steelers, in fact, like Jackson quite a bit. However, in my mind, there’s an even better cornerback than both Jackson and Haden, and he’s actually a better fit for the Steelers: Devin McCourty of Rutgers. Some would even put Kyle Wilson ahead of all three. The point is, the Steelers could trade down and take whichever of those four remains available. And with the additional picks, trade back up in the second round for a Golden Tate, Jahvid Best, Sean Lee, Eric Norwood, etc.

If the Steelers can’t trade down in the first round, and Iupati, Thomas and Pouncey are gone, it might just be time to reach. It’ll tear Kevin Colbert apart, but if he’s going to reach for anyone, cornerback is the position for it.

So here are the predictions for the Steelers’ 2010 draft:

1st round – Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida

2nd round – Eric Norwood, OLB, South Carolina

3rd round – Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, IUP

4th round – Andre Roberts, WR, The Citadel

5th round – Jeff Owens, NT, Georgia

5th round (comp.) – Chris DeGeare, OG, Wake Forest

5th round (comp.) – Clifton Geathers, DE, LSU

6th round – Charles Scott, RB, LSU

7th round (comp.) – Albert McClellan, OLB, Marshall

tony hipchest
04-22-2010, 12:02 AM
this may not mean squat, but from steelersdepot twitter-

Word is Steelers would pass on Earl Thomas even if he slides to #18.

don banks of SI reported that a third of projected 1st round pick admitted to marijuana use at the combine, or had past failed tests. theres a 33% chance that thomas was one of them. :noidea:

after the holmes debauchle and big ben suspension, you can damn well bet that the steelers have scratched these names from their 1st round board.

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2010, 05:21 AM

don banks of SI reported that a third of projected 1st round pick admitted to marijuana use at the combine, or had past failed tests. theres a 33% chance that thomas was one of them. :noidea:

after the holmes debauchle and big ben suspension, you can damn well bet that the steelers have scratched these names from their 1st round board.

Maybe that is how Thomas gained 15 - 20 pounds for the combine weigh in.

A serious case of the munchies.

Oh crap Tony. I just saw Twitter so I cant take anything in your post seriously.

pete74
04-22-2010, 05:32 AM
thomas will never slide, he is way to good and everyone knows it. i wouldnt be surprised if he was the 1st DB taken in the draft

steelerdave1969
04-22-2010, 06:01 AM

:coffee:

I like the Pouncey pick and then the Norwood pick might not be too bad but I would hope that we can get a OT somewhere there soon as well.

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2010, 06:17 AM

:coffee:

I like the Pouncey pick and then the Norwood pick might not be too bad but I would hope that we can get a OT somewhere there soon as well.

All good picks IMO. I think Owens would be a very good NT with a couple of years NFL strength and conditioning under his belt.

Andre Roberts is also a player getting some serious attention by steeler fans

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-22-2010, 09:26 AM

I would pay money to see the look on supa's face if we passed on Thomas. :sofunny::sofunny::applaudit:

Texasteel
04-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Actually, I think this would be a pretty darn good draft. The first 4 picks are very good players. I have been an Owens fan for a couple of years now, and the rest look to be very usable players.

7willBheaven
04-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Everyone is forgetting we have FOUR 5th round picks, haha. thats funny even Wexell did it...

Not bad overall...dont like the OG pick..rather get an OT (Calloway even)...still not sold on Owens as being an NT...and no idea about the very last pick.

Chidi29
04-22-2010, 03:44 PM

If we're going to pass on Thomas, swap picks with the Eagles. Appears that they are big on him. Maybe get Dallas involved too. They could use a free safety after letting Ken Hamlin go.

I don't think the pot use will scare us away. As long as it isn't a trend. If we drafted based on what players didn't smoke pot or do drugs once in college, we'd end up with no rookies.

Chidi29
04-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Good mock from Wexell. Can't complain.

SteelPride1207
04-22-2010, 03:50 PM
I have lived in Florida for the past 8 years and had many chances to see Maurkice Pouncey. I think the guy is overrated and won't be anywhere near the player in the pro's as he has been in college. I hope I am dead wrong...but I have a bad feeling MP is going to be a major bust.