PDA

View Full Version : Why the Browns Never Have, and Never Will Go To or Win a Super Bowl...

revefsreleets
04-22-2010, 11:06 AM
The prevailing consensus around the office today is that the Browns would not and should not trade pick #7 for Ben.

Mind you, this is a team that hasn't had a decent QB in almost 20 years. A team that has made the playoffs exactly ONCE since coming back into the league 11 years ago. A team that appears to be giving Jimmy FREAKING Clausen a serious look at #7.

Mind you, I'm 90% sure the Steelers, no matter how anxious they might be to dump Roethlisberger, will not trade with a division rival, and this thread isn't about that. It's about the mindset of the Browns fans in general. They would turn down a sure-bet, proven winner because they don't want to give up the spot. This has nothing to do with character. The Browns fan base have embraced far shadier and seedier characters than Ben will EVER be. This is just a fan base being silly...

They get exactly what they deserve with their routine sub-.500 seasons and multiple draft busts and rampant staph infections, as far as I'm concerned...

xfl2001fan
04-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Hmm...trade the #7 for the potential issues that Big Ben "might" bring? To me, it's a no brainer. He's better than any QB in the current class is likely to ever be...and (IMO) nothing was proven...so he doesn't deserve any suspension...let alone the asinine 6 games he's been given.

You must not work with NFL fans who also happen to cheer for the Browns....because I'm a fan of the game first...and Ben is a legit top notch QB...regardless of character issues.

Or course...there is the whole question of taking on a guy the Steelers are willing to get rid of (and the #7 overall is a cheap price to pay)...because (like em or not) they have got great ownership who typically knows when to dump a guy.

steelerdude15
04-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Cleveland is such a silly little city.

Bng_Hevn
04-22-2010, 04:41 PM
If the Steelers are willing to give up Ben for a #7, why SHOULD the Browns be willing to give the #7 to the Steelers?

Besides, teams may not be interested simply because of his concussions and worried about him not lasting too much longer if he subject to playing on their team.

revefsreleets
04-22-2010, 05:08 PM
If the Steelers are willing to give up Ben for a #7, why SHOULD the Browns be willing to give the #7 to the Steelers?

Besides, teams may not be interested simply because of his concussions and worried about him not lasting too much longer if he subject to playing on their team.

Admit it....YOU have worked in the Browns FO for the last 11 years, haven't you! There are only a few rocks you can turn over where "logic" like that hides...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
The prevailing consensus around the office today is that the Browns would not and should not trade pick #7 for Ben.

Mind you, this is a team that hasn't had a decent QB in almost 20 years. A team that has made the playoffs exactly ONCE since coming back into the league 11 years ago. A team that appears to be giving Jimmy FREAKING Clausen a serious look at #7.

Mind you, I'm 90% sure the Steelers, no matter how anxious they might be to dump Roethlisberger, will not trade with a division rival, and this thread isn't about that. It's about the mindset of the Browns fans in general. They would turn down a sure-bet, proven winner because they don't want to give up the spot. This has nothing to do with character. The Browns fan base have embraced far shadier and seedier characters than Ben will EVER be. This is just a fan base being silly...
They get exactly what they deserve with their routine sub-.500 seasons and multiple draft busts and rampant staph infections, as far as I'm concerned...

Bullshit. We disowned William Green after he did the crap he did, we disowned stallworth following what he did and told Edwards to take a hike after he got in a figt at a night club. Kevin Mack got busted, but he got clean, and J. Cribbs is not an evil scumbag you made him out to be.

If you're going to pull that card I could EASILY point out how many former Steelers have character issues. Your former WR Santonio Holmes who WAS FIGHTING A DRUG CHARGE DURING YOUR SUPER BOWL RUN, Jeff Reed getting busted for being drunk and disordely conduct, and don't forget James Harrison beating his wife and getting off scot-free.

So please stop playing the "our fans cheer for classier players" card, because that's false, each team has it's scumbags.

Big Ben' was not apart of the plan holmgren set up, has nothing to with us not "wanting him".

And Holmgren thought Clausen was a bum too, he said a few weeks a go he "wished he liked him more"

revefsreleets
04-23-2010, 02:42 PM
How about convicted coke dealer Jamal Lewis? He's a fine character reference. Stallworth killed a guy for Christs sake. The fans only turned on William Gay after it was discovered that he was a bust. Even hallowed and scared cow Jim Brown was dogged by rape, battery and domestic abuse charges.

Anyway, I clearly stated this had nothing to do with character, but rather sheer myopic blindness created by years of maddening jealousy to the point where the fan base is losing it's ability to think critically.

One of the guys who stated emphatically "The Browns don't want Ben!" to me had quite a bit of egg on his face when it was reported that Cleveland was one of the teams calling the Steelers about a trade (and not the other way around as was originally reported). The Browns didn't want him so much they called the Steelers and asked to trade for him.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
04-23-2010, 03:21 PM
How about convicted coke dealer Jamal Lewis? He's a fine character reference. Stallworth killed a guy for Christs sake. The fans only turned on William Gay after it was discovered that he was a bust. Even hallowed and scared cow Jim Brown was dogged by rape, battery and domestic abuse charges.

Anyway, I clearly stated this had nothing to do with character, but rather sheer myopic blindness created by years of maddening jealousy to the point where the fan base is losing it's ability to think critically.

One of the guys who stated emphatically "The Browns don't want Ben!" to me had quite a bit of egg on his face when it was reported that Cleveland was one of the teams calling the Steelers about a trade (and not the other way around as was originally reported). The Browns didn't want him so much they called the Steelers and asked to trade for him.

umm..the Browns didn't ever contact the Steelers on Ben. I have Browns Insider at OBR (orange and brown report), there was no communication between either teams according to a couple of the writers on that site.

and most Browns fans really don't hold up JB as a guy of character, most know of the wife beating, and that was wayyy beyound my time. And at the time of the Jamal Lewis signing there was a lot of anger in the fanbase against that signing, something to the effect of "get the trash off of my team", Browns247 has a few threads documenting that exact thing.

Does it have to do with jealously? not so sure about it, I do know that a lot of Browns fans just flat out don't like the guy, the rape allegation just allowed them another excuse to despise.

He's a great player and if he had lets say, a McNabb type attitude and rapsheet, I'm sure that many Browns fans wouldn't be so upset at the idea of him possibly being on the roster, but that is not the case.

revefsreleets
04-23-2010, 03:34 PM
The bottom line is this: I heard from many, many fans that they would not want Roethlisberger. They said they would not want him as a player, and that the Browns as an organization would not be interested in him.

That.
Is.
Preposterous.

Had he REALLY been available for a trade, several teams would have been falling all over themselves to try and pick him up. If the Browns did not make a play, their FO is in far worse shape than I thought. They are going nowhere with the tandem of Wallace and Delhomme....