PDA

View Full Version : Steeler free agents

TapOut64
02-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Anyone know who the free agents are? Or a link with info on this. I'm planning ahead for next years Super Bowl run and need to know who will be on the roster.

OX1947
02-06-2006, 09:53 PM
key free agent are Chris Hope, D Townsend, Randle El, Kimo. I think we lose 3 out 4. We'll keep Hope and Mcfadden will take over corner for Deshea. El will get a big contract and Kimo might retire....

GoStillersGo
02-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I found this on an earlier thread:

Antwaan Randle El WR
Barrett Brooks OT
Brett Keisel LB UFA
Charlie Batch QB
Chris Hope S
Clint Kriewaldt LB
DeShea Townsend CB
Ike Taylor CB
Jerame Tuman TE
Kimo von Oelhoffen DE
Quincy Morgan WR
Sean Morey WR
Verron Haynes RB

Steeler in Carolina
02-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Out of all the free agents, Ike Taylor is the only restricted FA.

TapOut64
02-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Should of thought to google it first. Found this http://www.steelergridiron.com/information/2006freeagents.html

I.C. Lights
02-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Gotta keep Taylor and Hope. El will probably be lured away :( I think Kimo will try to stay with us if he doesn't quit.

The thing I'm most scared about is loosing the Wiz.

WWIIOwheelz
02-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Wiz is 95% surely gone. :(

I have a buddy over at Raider Nation, and he's been telling me for a week & a half to say goodbye to Ken. (This guy has some sources, trust me.)

Makes sense, and I wish Ken the absolute best for him and all his endeavors. He's a part of Steeler history forever.

Need4spd
02-06-2006, 10:12 PM
None of those are really core guys. Obviously there are some guys on that list that we would rather not lose, but in the business that is the NFL, this is a fact of every off-season. In the NFL, you build a solid foundation first, and expand your team around those key elements. That being said, I for one think we have a hell of a foundation in place.

bigbensgirl7
02-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Hopefully the Wiz won't want to deal with the Raiders crap. I'm really hoping we hold on to El, but I have a feeling someone is going to offer him some big bucks.

I.C. Lights
02-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I'll be upset if the Wiz goes. I think he is pretty integral to our team.

...Imagine what he'll be able to pull off with Randy Moss!!

OX1947
02-06-2006, 10:24 PM
You know, I hope El doesnt do what Peerless Price did. I mean, I know he wants to get paid and if he gets a large signing bonus, I cant argue. But I really hope he can stay with Pitt, I think eventually it will even out being that his career would last longer in his current role and win on top of it. I forgot about Ike. I think Ike and Hope are priority 1 and 2. mcfadden will fill the starting role for townsend and our DBs are set. If El gets a huge contract, he will be gone. And i think Keisel will take over for Kimo.

Need4spd
02-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Yeah, great point. He would be I think by far the biggest loss for the club if he leaves for Oakland. The shame of it is that with the way their organization is run with Al Davis really being the one that pulls the strings out there, he will be set up for failure. Then again, the Raiders are in the AFC, so that's not altogether a bad thing for us, just too bad for the "Wiz."

WWIIOwheelz
02-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Wiz has made the case for demanding freedom in Oakland, and I think he'll get it. Not Holmgren-like freedom, mind you, but not being constrained by the front office, calling his shots.

Remember, Davis WANTS him, and badly. Enviable position for a young new head coach, and I'm proud he's a Steeler joining that loooong list.

Sharkissle29
02-06-2006, 10:40 PM
I found this on an earlier thread:

Antwaan Randle El WR Try and Resign, most likely GONE
Barrett Brooks OT RESIGN
Brett Keisel LB UFA RESIGN
Charlie Batch QB RESIGN
Chris Hope S RESIGN
Clint Kriewaldt LB RELEASE
DeShea Townsend CB Try and get cheap, if not GONE
Ike Taylor CB RESIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jerame Tuman TE RESIGN
Kimo von Oelhoffen DE RESIGN
Quincy Morgan WR RELEASE
Sean Morey WR RESIGN
Verron Haynes RB GONE
just my input. i heard on ESPN we are well over the cap :-/ not much money to fool around with

GoStillersGo
02-07-2006, 05:58 AM
I'm thinking you mean "re-sign" and not "resign." :wink:

thumb 2 come
02-07-2006, 07:19 AM
just my input. i heard on ESPN we are well over the cap :-/ not much money to fool around with

I think we are 4million over the cap. Hartings counts for 8 million of that.

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Ed B. of the Post-Gazette has this take (which is in italics) on potential departures:

NOW we can start talking about free agents. Clip and save this so we can keep score. The Steelers will try to sign Antwaan Randle El but I believe someone else -- New England? -- will offer him a great deal more and he will leave. Brett Keisel will be a top priority and if they can sign him, don't look for Kimo von Oelhoffen to return. If someone makes Chris Hope a good offer, and I believe they will, he'll be gone, too. Bryant McFadden is ready to start so if another team wants Deshea Townsend as a starter, he too will leave. Jeff Hartings will take less to stay and they will have to cut Chukky Okobi, which will break that Pittsburgh native's heart. Charlie Batch will re-sign and remain the No. 2 quarterback. Tommy Maddox will be released in the first few days of March. Verron Haynes will re-sign. Duce Staley, who will make $2.5 million this year, will stay and take the spot left by Jerome Bettis. Clint Kriewaldt will re-sign, as will Quincy Morgan, who could become the No. 3 receiver next season.

I don't think Ken Whisenhunt will leave. The Raiders will offer him a five-year deal worth about $12 million but Al Davis' reputation precedes him. He's a meddling, impatient owner who's best days are far behind him.

stillers4strife
02-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Have they put out the new cap ceiling for 2006? I know it goes up by 3%-5% every year.

Also have to clear Bettis off the books since he is retiring. I believe all of his cap hit is cleared. That's a significant amount of money for next year.

I think Brett Keisel should be one of the top priorities. 3-4 DEs aren't easy to come by and there aren't many guys to choose from in this year's draft, at least that are ready to go. I'm not sure what KVO intends to do.

I'd rather sign Randle El than Hope but want to re-sign one or the other. Hope's tackling is awful and his coverage skills are hit or miss. Tough to replace a FS though, at least using the draft for a guy who will step in right away. Some decent choices available in free agency though.

Livinginthe past
02-07-2006, 01:16 PM
This is certainly the biggest hurdle - keeping a SB winning squad together and trying to add replacement parts seamlessly.

One thing that stand the team in good stead is the fact that they dont sign players who are the type to run off for a few dollars extra elsewhere - however, a few players will probably be offered ALOT more money and will find it hard to turn down.

I can only imagine that some teams want to prove that they can make it with another less talented team - to prove to their ego that they are really that good.

On the plus side - some top-notch veterans may select Pittsburgh as their next stop if they have got to the stage of valuing success over dollars.

NM