PDA

View Full Version : SportingNews Profile on our 1st round pick Pouncey

truesteelerfan
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Hopefully there is a site out there that gives him some better marks.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-04-18/player-profile-maurkice-pouncey-c-flo:popcorn:rida (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-04-18/player-profile-maurkice-pouncey-c-florida)

truesteelerfan
04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Here's a more in-depth profile on him from CBS Sports.....

Pouncey started 39-of-41 games in which he appeared at Florida, providing excellent pass protection while using his explosion off the snap to regularly attack second-level defenders. His consistency and dominance at the line of scrimmage helped him become the first player in school history to capture the Rimington Trophy, given annually to the nation's best center.

One of the toughest offensive linemen in the collegiate game, it was fitting that he recorded one of his best blocking efforts in his final appearance for the Gators, despite being in obvious pain. Prior to the 2010 Sugar Bowl, Pouncey spent five-plus hours at a local hospital because of kidney stones. He received a CT scan which showed no kidney obstruction, got some IV fluid and suited up. He would hold the Cincinnati defensive line to no tackles, record seven knockdowns that included two touchdown-resulting blocks and graded 94 percent for blocking consistency.

At Lakeland High, Pouncey was rated among the nation's top offensive guard recruits according to Scout.com (15th) and Rivals.com (15th). He was one of 16 offensive linemen named to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super Southern 100 squad. He was also a two-time All-State selection.

As a senior, he and his twin brother, Mike, helped lead Lakeland to its 45th consecutive victory, third-consecutive Class 5A state championship and second-straight USA Today national championship in 2006. They were part of an offensive line that blocked for a 4,000-yard rushing team that season.

Pouncey enrolled at Florida in 2006, spurning scholarship offers from Florida State, Clemson, Miami and Michigan. He started 11 of 13 games at right offensive guard, becoming the seventh true freshman in school history to start a season opener for the Gators.

He also saw playing time at his eventual position, center, earning Game Champion honors in the Louisiana State clash. He was named Freshman All-American first-team by College Football News and Rivals.com and was a member of the Freshman All-Southeastern Conference squads selected by the league's coaches and Associated Press. He graded no lower than 83% for blocking consistency in any of his eleven starting assignments.

Pouncey was a Sophomore All-American choice by College Football News in 2008. The Associated Press All-SEC honorable mention twice earned league Lineman of the Week honors (vs. Arkansas and LSU), as he graded at least 90 percent for blocking consistency in six contests. Despite performing early in the season with lingering effects from a fall camp ankle sprain, he would start all 14 contests at center.

In May 2009, Pouncey underwent shoulder surgery to repair a labrum issue that would prevent him from participating in off-season training for three months. He was fully recovered by the season opener, receiving the highest blocking consistency grade for any major college interior lineman (91.57%). He earned All-American and All-SEC first-team honors, as he did not allow any quarterback sacks or pressures while participating in 919 offensive snaps.

Unlike his brother, Mike, Pouncey decided that it was time to test his wares in the National Football League. A week after the Sugar Bowl, the center announced that he would forgo his final year of eligibility to enter the 2010 NFL Draft.

Analysis
Pass blocking: Adept at the shotgun snap. Good quickness and accuracy in firing the snap back and catching the defensive tackle. Stout at the point of attack. Quick, accurate hand placement and impressive strength to handle the bull rush. Big and strong enough to handle the nose guard one on one. Good lateral agility and balance to handle quicker defensive tackles. Keeps his head on a swivel and looks to help his teammates.

Run blocking: Rare combination of size, leverage and power as a drive blocker. Stays low and gets under the pads of his opponent to move him off the line of scrimmage. Very good combination blocker; capable of helping out the guard initially on the double-team and releasing to get to the second level. Good quickness, balance for the trap block. Plays with some nastiness. Looks to pancake his opponent when he feels he's off-balance. Good effort to sustain. Finishes the block.

Pulling/trapping: Not often asked to pull from the center position in this offense, but was asked to do this some as a freshman at right guard. Quick out of his stance and has the straight-line speed and balance to get out in front of the back. Good recognition to find his target and has the body control to adjust to the smaller opponent. Can be a punishing trap blocker. Good quickness and explodes into his opponent to knock him out of the play.

Initial Quickness: One of his best traits. Capable of making the accurate snap and still get his hands up quickly to catch the defensive tackle without losing much ground. Explosiveness as a trap blocker is impressive.

Downfield: Good, not great, speed to get to the second level. Good balance and agility to hit the moving target. Hustles downfield and looks for someone to hit.

Intangibles: Intelligent. Made all the line calls for Gators. Showed his toughness by starting in the 2009-10 Sugar Bowl only hours after receiving four bags of IV fluids and being treated for kidney stones. Underwent a CT scan that showed no obstruction in his kidneys and was cleared to play. Identical twin, Mike, plays right guard for the Gators and elected to return for his senior season.

Career Notes
Pouncey started 39-of-41 games at Florida, including eleven starting assignments at right offensive guard and 28 at center … As a center, Pouncey registered 234 knockdowns/key blocks that included 36 touchdown-resulting blocks and 11 downfield blocks … Over the course of his last 1,793 offensive snaps, he allowed just one quarterback sack and was penalized only twice.

2009 Season
All-American first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report, Football Writers Association and Walter Camp, adding second-team honors from the Associated Press … Became the first Gator to ever receive the Rimington Trophy, given annually to the best center in college football … Unanimous All-Southeastern Conference first-team choice … Started all 14 games at center, despite missing most of the offseason due to May shoulder (labrum) surgery … Led the nation's interior linemen with a 91.57% grade for blocking consistency, producing 119 key blocks/knockdowns that included 20 touchdown-resulting blocks and seven more blocks down field … Did not allow a quarterback sack or pressure, nor was he penalized on any of the team's 919 offensive snaps … Provided huge holes for a running attack that ranked 10th in the nation, averaging 221.79 yards per game … His superb protection of the pocket allowed Florida to finish second in the conference in pass offense, averaging 236.07 yards per game operating out of the spread formation … Also recorded a tackle after a Florida turnover (fumble) vs. Tennessee … Named SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week vs. Tennessee and Louisiana State (entire front wall awarded vs. LSU) … Graded at least 90% for blocking consistency in 11 contests and registered at least one touchdown-resulting block in all but the Alabama game.

2008 Season
All-Southeastern Conference first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report in Pouncey's first season as the Gators' center … College Football News Sophomore All-American pick …

Started all fourteen games, grading 90% or higher for blocking consistency in six contests, including South Carolina (90), Tennessee (93), Arkansas (94), Vanderbilt (95), LSU (97) and Kentucky (98) … Was named the SEC's Offensive Lineman of the Week for his performance vs. Arkansas and was one of five UF Offensive Players of the Week after the front wall's dominance of the Tigers in the Louisiana State clash … Led the Gators with 115 knockdowns/key blocks, as he collected 16 touchdown-resulting blocks … Allowed just one quarterback sack on 329 pass plays, helping Florida lead the conference and rank 15th nationally with an average of 445.07 yards of total offense per game … Recovered a fumble in the Mississippi clash and recorded a solo tackle vs. Vanderbilt.

2007 Season
Named Freshman All-American first-team by College Football News and Rivals.com and was a member of the Freshman All-Southeastern Conference squads selected by the league's coaches and Associated Press … Played in thirteen games, starting 11 contests at right offensive guard, as he came off the bench vs. Mississippi and Florida Atlantic … Also saw some action at center … Graded no lower than 83 percent for blocking consistency in any of his 11 starting assignments … Became the seventh true freshman in school history to start a season opener for the Gators.

Injury Report
2008: Limited in August camp by a high ankle sprain (8/28).

2009: Underwent shoulder surgery (labrum) in May, missing three months of offseason conditioning drills.

Agility Tests
Campus: 5.22 in the 40-yard dash … 1.76 10-yard dash … 2.96 20-yard dash … 4.78 20-yard shuttle … 7.78 three-cone drill … 29-inch vertical jump … 420-pound bench press … 530-pound squat.

High School
Attended Lakeland (Fla.) High School, playing football for head coach Bill Castle … Rated among the nation's top offensive guard recruits according to Scout.com (15th) and Rivals.com (15th) … One of sixteen offensive linemen named to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super Southern 100 squad … Also a two-time All-State selection … As a senior, he and his twin brother, Mike, helped lead Lakeland to its 45th consecutive victory, third-consecutive Class 5A state championship and second-straight USA Today national championship in 2006 … They were part of an offensive line that blocked for a 4,000-yard rushing team that season … Graduated with a 3.0 grade point average.

Personal
Social & Behavioral Sciences major … Twin brother, Michael, was a teammate and fellow offensive lineman at Lakeland High School and the University of Florida … Son of Lisa and Rob Webster … Born LaShawn Maurkice Pouncey ion 7/24/89 … Resides in Lakeland, Florida.

SteelPride1207
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
In Maurkice Pouncey....the Steelers just drafted one of the BUSTS of this year's NFL draft.

Just goes to show Kevin Colbert reputation as an inept evaluator of talent on either side of the line remains intact. This problem goes all the way back to his days in Detroit. The guy just can't get it right when it comes to drafting any player outside of the "skill positions".

I hope I am dead wrong...but living down here in Florida for the past 8 years and getting many chances to see Maurkice in games...I think he is vastly overrated and (considering how bad we need to run the ball) a very poor pick.

As a lifelong Steeler fan, I hope to eat alot of crow later with Maurkice dominating at the center position...but at this point...I see just he opposite happening.

This is Max Starks II we just drafted.

The Duke
04-22-2010, 10:27 PM
In Maurkice Pouncey....the Steelers just drafted one of the BUSTS of this year's NFL draft.

Just goes to show Kevin Colbert reputation as an inept evaluator of talent on either side of the line remains intact. This problem goes all the way back to his days in Detroit. The guy just can't get it right when it comes to drafting any player outside of the "skill positions".

I hope I am dead wrong...but living down here in Florida for the past 8 years and getting many chances to see Maurkice in games...I think he is vastly overrated and (considering how bad we need to run the ball) a very poor pick.

As a lifelong Steeler fan, I hope to eat alot of crow later with Maurkice dominating at the center position...but at this point...I see just he opposite happening.

http://therealbarackobama.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/sky-is-falling.jpg

tony hipchest
04-22-2010, 10:31 PM

:tt04: more bounce to the pounce BAYBEE! :tt03:

lK6wOG_aDl8

Edman
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Max Starks II?

If I recall, Max Starks is still on the team and is the prime starter at LT. That's means we have a starter. Awesome.

FSJSteel
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM

Care to go into a little more detail on why you think he's overrated?

urgle burgle
04-22-2010, 10:43 PM
:tt04: more bounce to the pounce BAYBEE! :tt03:

lK6wOG_aDl8

you just bounced my mind!!!

dunkuntou
04-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Max Starks II?

If I recall, Max Starks is still on the team and is the prime starter at LT. That's means we have a starter. Awesome.

Not to mention he was a starter on two Super Bowl teams. That was a terrible comparison if you think Pouncey isn't going to be any good

Merchant
04-22-2010, 11:08 PM

Gerald McCoy said the best player he's ever gone up against was Pouncey. As soon as he said that, I wanted him as our pick. He will not be a bust.

Preacher
04-22-2010, 11:13 PM

I guess he just doesn't have "Glide" to play at this level, right?

Preacher
04-22-2010, 11:15 PM
One of the toughest offensive linemen in the collegiate game, it was fitting that he recorded one of his best blocking efforts in his final appearance for the Gators, despite being in obvious pain. Prior to the 2010 Sugar Bowl, Pouncey spent five-plus hours at a local hospital because of kidney stones. He received a CT scan which showed no kidney obstruction, got some IV fluid and suited up. He would hold the Cincinnati defensive line to no tackles, record seven knockdowns that included two touchdown-resulting blocks and graded 94 percent for blocking consistency.

:jawdrop:

Now that's getting it done. I wonder, if he turns out really well for us, if we make an attempt to pick up his brother next year?

Pittsky
04-22-2010, 11:25 PM

he's got a few guys out there on the field with him to get the job done......let's not shit our pants just yet...have some optimism...:wink02:

polamalubeast
04-22-2010, 11:30 PM

:banging::shake01::confused::smash::dang::headbutt ::bricks::bash::huh::jerkit::buttkick::uhh::coffee ::wakeup:

focosteeler
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
:jawdrop:

Now that's getting it done. I wonder, if he turns out really well for us, if we make an attempt to pick up his brother next year?

i have been wondering that if urbik doesn't work out at RG

Sansi
04-22-2010, 11:32 PM
I really like that he made all the line calls for the phenomenal Florida line. I also really like his good natured personality and love that he is touted as very "teachable." So, I am super happy about this pick.

Vincent
04-22-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what Sean Kugler will do with young Pouncey and our O-line.

He's a serviceable guard. Lets hope he's the second coming of Dirt.

Psyychoward86
04-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Over the course of his last 1,793 offensive snaps, he allowed just one quarterback sack and was penalized only twice.

:bowdown: :jawdrop: :bowdown:

Sansi
04-22-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what Sean Kugler will do with young Pouncey and our O-line.

I actually think it is a big advantage that we get Kugler and Pouncey starting anew together. Kind of a good feeling that he has a new anchor to mold.

pepsyman1
04-22-2010, 11:45 PM
I think this a great pick for us. Our best teams over the years have always had great centers and this guy has the potential to fit into that mold. We do the same with him as they did years ago with Dawson, playing guard to get ready to take over at center. As bad as our O-line has been the past 2 years, this is huge.

Now if they can find a nice ball-hawking CB in the 2nd round I will thrilled. If we could find that, anything else good that transpires will be gravy.

CargoJon
04-22-2010, 11:47 PM
excellent pass protection

This is welcome to hear....

SteelerFanInStl
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM

How can you call a player who has yet to take a snap for the Steelers a bust?

Sansi
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I think this a great pick for us. Our best teams over the years have always had great centers and this guy has the potential to fit into that mold. We do the same with him as they did years ago with Dawson, playing guard to get ready to take over at center. As bad as our O-line has been the past 2 years, this is huge.

Now if they can find a nice ball-hawking CB in the 2nd round I will thrilled. If we could find that, anything else good that transpires will be gravy.

Yup. I think we'll be pleased as hell about this for years to come. Also - I dunno how to explain this, but he looks like a Steeler.

CargoJon
04-22-2010, 11:49 PM
I thought for sure the Colts were taking this dude as Saturday's eventual replacement. I'm happy to take the rug out from under them.

JCPsteelers
04-22-2010, 11:51 PM

Agreed.. I thought it was a bit high for Pouncey at 18 but we are splitting hairs.. If he can be a good guard for us than this is a very quality pick..

We seem to do well with SEC lineman.. Starks, Faneca,

Mags87
04-22-2010, 11:57 PM

during Colberts 10 years in detroit, the Lions went to the playoffs 5 times with records of 12-4, 10-6, 9-7, 10-6 and 9-7. With the Lions history, i can live with that

Merchant
04-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Over the course of his last 1,793 offensive snaps, he allowed just one quarterback sack and was penalized only twice.

Wtf... now THAT is impressive :tt03:

Mags87
04-23-2010, 12:02 AM
and not to mention the first round picks since Colberts been here starting in 2000:
Plaxico Burress
Casey Hampton
Kendell Simmons
Troy Polamalu :tt02:
Ben Roethlisberger
Heath Miller
Santonio Holmes
Lawrence Timmons
Rashard Mendenhall
Evander "Ziggy" Hood
Maurkice Pouncey

yup... no eye for talent

Sansi
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
and not to mention the first round picks since Colberts been here starting in 2000:
Plaxico Burress
Casey Hampton
Kendell Simmons
Troy Polamalu
Ben Roethlisberger
Heath Miller
Santonio Holmes
Lawrence Timmons
Rashard Mendenhall
Evander "Ziggy" Hood
Maurkice Pouncey

yup... no eye for talent

Man it is so awesome to look at that and see MOST of the core of our latest two rings. I mean - we are more than our first round, but that's awesome to see.

Vincent
04-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Man it is so awesome to look at that and see MOST of the core of our latest two rings. I mean - we are more than our first round, but that's awesome to see.

Every one started and was productive. Now the 2nd was another matter. But that was all Arians' fault.

:couch:

Psyychoward86
04-23-2010, 12:18 AM
during Colberts 10 years in detroit, the Lions went to the playoffs 5 times with records of 12-4, 10-6, 9-7, 10-6 and 9-7. With the Lions history, i can live with that

wow, is he the one who picked up Sanders?

Shoes
04-23-2010, 01:42 AM

I can cook that crow for you anyway you like :chuckle:

pancake
04-23-2010, 04:57 AM

I coach at the same high school that Dirt attended, we can only wish Pouncey comes close to him.

Galax Steeler
04-23-2010, 05:10 AM
They was saying he was probably the safest bet in the draft not to be a bust.:noidea:

Bluedust
04-23-2010, 07:50 AM

Insanity.

steeldawg
04-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Draft in my opinion has already been a huge success because we did not trade Ben!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2010, 09:13 AM
They was saying he was probably the safest bet in the draft not to be a bust.:noidea:

Yes. Gerald McCoy said Pouncey was the toughest interior lineman that he played against in College. I'll take that endorsement. :thumbsup:

markymarc
04-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Sorry, but I just don't see any reasonable argument why Pouncey was not the best pick at 1.18. This kid will only be 21 going into the season and started his freshman year playing in the SEC. I truly believe we got our next Pro Bowl center in Pouncey last night!

Super Fan
04-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Although I would of rather had a CB I think this is a good pick.........

kirklandrules
04-23-2010, 04:34 PM

I watch plenty of SEC football (am an ardent Gator hater) and don't know what games you were watching. I'm not going to throw an insult because you have your opinion, but man you would have thought the guy sucked based on your comments. I just don't think there's anything you can point to that backs up your position. As I said, I hate the Gators, yet thought this guy was awesome. He seemed to pick up every defender looking to nail Tebow ... it just seemed no one could get past him. I guess I'll trust the FO on this one, respect your opinion that he sucks and look forward to seeing who is the better judge of talent.