PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 & 3 Options

dunkuntou
04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Who does everyone like in round 2 and 3?

Golden Tate is going to be available in the early round and if the Steelers want him they have to trade up.

Lamarr Houston would be a great pick up for the defensive line. Check out his numbers they are extremely impressive.

Everson Griffen and Sergio Kindle are two pass rushers that could provide some depth.

Brandon Ghee is in New York and he visited with the Steelers.

I'd love to see some depth at running back added with a guy like Ben Tate.

polamalubeast
04-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Jimmy clausen:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::to ofunny:

focosteeler
04-22-2010, 10:18 PM
maybe chris cook? golden tate? i really like Rob Gronkowski

Preacher
04-22-2010, 10:19 PM
I don't know.. I have been talking about Gerhardt, mainly because he may be able to move to FB as well as take some carries away from mendy late in the game.

Would be nice.

I have alsy been talking about Mays, because from what I read, it seams he is comparable in style to Troy. The kid is big and fast. Hits like a mack truck.

I just don't really see any other weaknesses as blaring as those two right now. WR? Not as much. Maybe if someone falls into the third.

BehindSteelCurtain
04-22-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't know.. I have been talking about Gerhardt, mainly because he may be able to move to FB as well as take some carries away from mendy late in the game.

Would be nice.

I have alsy been talking about Mays, because from what I read, it seams he is comparable in style to Troy. The kid is big and fast. Hits like a mack truck.

I just don't really see any other weaknesses as blaring as those two right now. WR? Not as much. Maybe if someone falls into the third.

The dude is an ATHLETIC FREAK......Hes HUGE too.

BlastFurnace
04-22-2010, 10:23 PM
They said on ESPN Pittsburgh that they had talked with Colbert and that he feels the draft is so deep that they are pretty content staying where they are.

I would like to see us go Secondary with the 2nd pick.

Shoes
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
I like Mays and Tate...who is left for DT?

Sansi
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM

Would be nice.

Yeah Mays will really only succeed in a place like Pittsburgh. He requires playing alongside someone like Troy. He is physically NFL ready but he needs to channel his energy.

Prok
04-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I like Mays and Tate...who is left for DT?

I'm OK with our WR situation.

I'd like to think we go CB, DL and RB the next 3 picks. I guess it all depends how our board looks when the time comes.

wdsteel
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
in order for 2nd

S Taylor Mays.
LB Ricky Sapp
S Nate Allen
CB Dominigue Franks
RB Toby Gerhart
DT Cam Thomas

Sansi
04-22-2010, 10:35 PM
My head says Franks but my heart says Gerhart.

Vincent
04-22-2010, 10:41 PM

Would be nice.

If Mays falls to us we really should take him. Thats a lot of specimen to get at #52.

Psyychoward86
04-22-2010, 10:43 PM
I'd like to grab DT Cam Thomas or WR Golden Tate in the 2nd, and there will almost assuredly be an awesome LB for us in the 3rd round. Angerer? Norwood?

PhantomJB93
04-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Secondary in the second is a horrible idea. First round was our only chance. Don't try to fool yourself with the "this is a deep draft" or "gems can be found later" that is true of every position EXCEPT DB. If you dont believe me look up for yourself but the chances of finding a quality CB after the first round are little to none, especially now that, what, 4 of them are gone? Going after a CB should now be the last of our priorities until round 4 at the earliest. We better pursue trading up for Golden Tate, Sean Lee, or Sergio Kindle

Silverback92
04-22-2010, 10:50 PM
I will be happier than a pig in filth if we get either Gerhart, Tate, or Franks.

Gerhart: guy is a beast. Would love to see him on those goal line or 4th and inches carries. Him and Mendy in tandem...mmmmmm...

Tate: I'm not one who is extremely displeased with our WR situation post Bongtonio, but I'm thinking more of planning ahead. There will never be another Hines Ward, but I think this guy has the potential to be the closest thing available with a little more speed. You heard what the man said. One more Super Bowl and he's out. Wouldn't hurt to plan ahead.

Franks: We definitely could use some attention to our CB situation, but honestly our secondary will be an entirely different beast this year with Troy back *knock on wood F U Madden 10 cover*. If Franks is there, we should pull the trigger. If not, let's not just draft a CB for the purpose of getting a CB.

CargoJon
Secondary in the second is a horrible idea. First round was our only chance. Don't try to fool yourself with the "this is a deep draft" or "gems can be found later" that is true of every position EXCEPT DB. If you dont believe me look up for yourself but the chances of finding a quality CB after the first round are little to none, especially now that, what, 4 of them are gone? Going after a CB should now be the last of our priorities until round 4 at the earliest. We better pursue trading up for Golden Tate, Sean Lee, or Sergio Kindle

Yeah that Tracy Porter dude the Saints got out of Indiana in the 2nd a couple years ago was a real dud.....:coffee:

PS - there were also at least 4 corners taken before Porter in the 1st round then, too...

focosteeler

i like the sean lee option, i think if they don't go DB and tate is gone go for him

Sansi
04-22-2010, 10:51 PM

Meh this is true. We'd be taking the 5th best DB. I mean we need it, but not at a waste. There is probably little tangible difference between a DB we get in the 2nd and one we get in the 4th.

JCPsteelers
04-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Other than QB, I'm in favor of best player on the board..

I do like Tate a lot though.. If we can move up to get him I wouldn't be angry about that..

polamalu82
04-22-2010, 10:56 PM
No love for Big Snack #2 Mt. Cody.:sofunny:

I would like to see Taylor Mays in the 2nd. He was too much of a reach in round one IMO. I'd say he's worth the pick. We'd probably have to trade up in the 2nd to get him though. Maybe we could package some of the 4 5th rounders we have and swap 2nds to move up?

tube517
04-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Very true. Plus the Steelers rarely go after a CB in the early rounds. (See Chad Scott and Ricardo Colclough and how they turned out.) They will probably draft a Townsend like CB in the later rounds. Nothing spectacular but someone who can hold their own.

I'd like to see G.Tate in Black and Gold. Day 2 is also at night so it may go pretty fast like tonight.

PhantomJB93
04-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Yeah that Tracy Porter dude the Saints got out of Indiana in the 2nd a couple years ago was a real dud.....:coffee:

PS - there were also at least 4 corners taken before Porter in the 1st round then, too...

First of all, he is probably the only example you can possibly name in that situation that has even moderately succeeded. Look up any other notable CB in the NFL and the only ones NOT taken in the first round are Asante Samuel and Al Harris. Secondly, he did nothing worth noting in his two years of play until the AFC Championship and Super Bowl, but those are fresh in everyone's minds so people are under the impression he's "amazing." Im not saying he won't succeed, and Im not saying it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a CB later than round 1 who can be half-decent. Im saying there is a HUGE dropoff after round 1 every year and going after a CB now with other positions we could pursue is a bad idea, yes there's a CHANCE we could land a gem in round 2 or 3 but history shows that the chances of doing so are like 1,000,000 to 1 (yes that's an exaggeration lol). If Kareem Jackson, Pat Robinson, and Devin Mccourtey hadn't gone in the first as they were projected to, Id be all for it.

Psyychoward86
04-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Tate is a sexy blend of Steve Smith/Wes Welker. he can play ANY wide receiver position and help our return game (or at least give us depth in that area). Intangibles from the kid are awesome. If we go wide receiver early, Tate is the man.

Sansi
04-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Tate is a sexy blend of Steve Smith/Wes Welker. he can play ANY wide receiver position and help our return game (or at least give us depth in that area). Intangibles from the kid are awesome. If we go wide receiver early, Tate is the man.

Yeah everything I am trying to absorb in prep for day 2 is selling me on Tate. is it a little pie in the sky though?

Psyychoward86
04-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Yeah everything I am trying to absorb in prep for day 2 is selling me on Tate. is it a little pie in the sky though?

hell, Clausen was considered a top 10 pick, and he hasnt even been drafted yet!

I'll keep my hopes up :tt04:

PhantomJB93
04-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Ya my number 1 option now that we got our Olineman and didnt take a CB in round 1 is Tate. Only problem is there's a very good chance St. Louis pursues him with the first pick of round 2, and if they don't take him he still won't make it past the Bucs (twice), Chiefs (twice), Raiders, Browns, Patriots, and Texans to our pick. To get him I think we need to trade with St. Louis for the 33rd pick but unfortunately I've heard our front office thinks this draft is deep enough that they don't feel pressured to trade up for anybody ...

Tone's Toes
04-22-2010, 11:19 PM
No doubt it's a CB in round 2. It's what they need and they'll take one. Just like they took an interior lineman, who may or may not have been the BPA, but that's what they needed.

MasterOfPuppets
04-22-2010, 11:20 PM

but he couldn't cover a cat turd with a dump truck full of kitty litter...:noidea:
why do you think his college coach passed up on him for a safety from another school ?

Sansi
04-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Ya my number 1 option now that we got our Olineman and didnt take a CB in round 1 is Tate. Only problem is there's a very good chance St. Louis pursues him with the first pick of round 2, and if they don't take him he still won't make it past the Bucs (twice), Chiefs (twice), Raiders, Browns, Patriots, and Texans to our pick. To get him I think we need to trade with St. Louis for the 33rd pick but unfortunately I've heard our front office thinks this draft is deep enough that they don't feel pressured to trade up for anybody ...

Yeah. I mean I love their steady hand on draft days and how they never endanger their position but sometimes I think it would be so fun for them to make a little splash and wiggle up and down the board like some other teams. It's just not how we roll, though.

mwittman5
04-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Tate, we need a replacement for ward in a few yrs and tate is a sure bet to be good. if hes gone go for brandon ghee, he had one of the fastest 40 times, could be a sleeper

Sansi
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Tate, we need a replacement for ward in a few yrs and tate is a sure bet to be good. if hes gone go for brandon ghee, he had one of the fastest 40 times, could be a sleeper

Man it is just gonna suck so hard when Ward is finally gone. You said "replacement for Ward" and I do know exactly what you meant, but it just reminded me that he is totally irreplaceable. No one else in the league does what he does the way he does it.

Pittsburgh43
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Golden Tate would be a great pick, but what about Arrelious Benn from Illinois or Brandon Lafell from LSU? Anyone know anything about these 2 recievers?

mwittman5
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Man it is just gonna suck so hard when Ward is finally gone. You said "replacement for Ward" and I do know exactly what you meant, but it just reminded me that he is totally irreplaceable. No one else in the league does what he does the way he does it.

for sure, ward is one of the fiercest competitors I've seen in any sport. Tate said he models his game after ward too

mwittman5
04-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Golden Tate would be a great pick, but what about Arrelious Benn from Illinois or Brandon Lafell from LSU? Anyone know anything about these 2 recievers?

I heard Benn compared to anquan boldin, tall and speedy

Da Steeler Soprano
04-22-2010, 11:57 PM
How about Sean Lee in the second round?

atlee731
04-23-2010, 12:27 AM
How about Sean Lee in the second round?

I think that's the best option, followed by Saffold and Joseph. Not loving the early round WR.

PhantomJB93
04-23-2010, 12:37 AM
I think that's the best option, followed by Saffold and Joseph. Not loving the early round WR.

Golden Tate is the only WR worth taking early and that's just because he will be our Ward replacement when Ward's gone in 2 or 3 years (most likely)...Tate is the *closest* thing we will see to Ward for a while, I don't think we need to take him for WR depth I just think we need to take him to be "our guy" in the future. Other than that I agree I dont want to see us take a receiver until late in this draft if at all, but if Im in charge of our war room I make a serious effort to trade up for GT before he's gone.

If they let Tate slip to somebody else than I go after Sean Lee

Steeldude
04-23-2010, 12:52 AM
IMO, i don't see the steelers taking a RB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. i think they will give summers a chance to prove himself.

i hope they don't waste a pick on WR in the 2nd or 3rd round.

19ward86
04-23-2010, 01:01 AM
corey wooten. nuff said.

Aussie_steeler
04-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Linval Joseph and Koa Misi / Eric Norwood.

I would love to see a trade up to allow for 3 picks in rounds 2 & 3. I would like to see D line, CB and OLB

Galax Steeler
04-23-2010, 03:37 AM
I would like to land Mays but he probably won't be around for the taking when we pick in the second.

pancake
04-23-2010, 04:14 AM
I want a CB this round ( we need one bad), but I don't want to reach either.

I don't like Taylor Mays, he is a fast strong safety that can knock your block off, but sucks in coverage. Sounds like a faster Lee Flowers...

The Tate kid is good, but I wouldn't trade up for him.

I like what the Steelers are going to do by staying put and see what falls in their lap in round 2 & 3.

Preacher
04-23-2010, 04:53 AM
I want a CB this round ( we need one bad), but I don't want to reach either.

I don't like Taylor Mays, he is a fast strong safety that can knock your block off, but sucks in coverage. Sounds like a faster Lee Flowers...

The Tate kid is good, but I wouldn't trade up for him.

I like what the Steelers are going to do by staying put and see what falls in their lap in round 2 & 3.

Thing about Mays though, is the run support... and the fact that he probably won't be in coverage as much as just playing centerfield and helping out over the top... until he is sent up to blitz.

THAT is what I really like about him. Oh yeah, and I simply can't imagine him being bad in run support.

However, this IS the steelers, I am sure we will be surprised in some way. I don't think I have ever really Not be surprised by one of two choices in the first two rounds.

jccshakyb
04-23-2010, 07:11 AM
our linebackers are getting pretty old, how about Sean Lee from Penn St

BlastFurnace
04-23-2010, 07:19 AM
I'll tell you what I don't want...for the Steelers to hang on to all of their picks and then end up cutting 3 or 4 of them.

I hope they package some of their picks and move up and get the guy they want.

After all, their UFA's lately are better than their Draft Picks after Round 3 anyway.

SteelerFanInStl
04-23-2010, 08:18 AM
I'll tell you what I don't want...for the Steelers to hang on to all of their picks and then end up cutting 3 or 4 of them.

I hope they package some of their picks and move up and get the guy they want.

After all, their UFA's lately are better than their Draft Picks after Round 3 anyway.

Yea, I'd like to see some movement also, especially in the 2nd where there's a lot of talent left.

SteelerFanInStl
04-23-2010, 08:29 AM
I don't want a WR or RB taken in the 2nd. I think it's still too early for those positions. I think we've gotta go defense now. I'd like a CB still but Ghee is the only one I like in the 2nd. Sean Lee would be a great pick.

markymarc
04-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Here are some of the players I would consider in round 2:

Arrelious Benn
Golden Tate
Sean Lee
Koa Misi
Eric Norwood
Taylor Mays (I would like to see this kid play MLB for us)
Chris Cook
Cam Thomas
Mount Cody

mesaSteeler
04-23-2010, 09:03 AM
FromPete Prisco 2nd round mock draft.
April 23, 2010
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/13276919/secondround-mock-draft-clausen-falls-to-browns-at-no-38?tag=pageContainer;TeamNews

52. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest: They went for help on the offensive line in the first round. Now they come back and address a major need.

Stlrs4Life
04-23-2010, 09:09 AM
I hope best CB available.

SteelerFanInCA
04-23-2010, 09:36 AM

I see Mel Blount in that guy all over again. He just needs to shave his head. :tt02:

Curtain_of_Steel
04-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Mays won't last, Steelers appear to not want to trade up, but obviously that can change.

As much as I want a CB, I ove Gerhart and Shipley. I think Gerhart is a more powerful Hoge and Riggins like, gives us that short down burst we lack with a huge heart to succeed. Shipley can be that Wes Welker type.

Golden Tate I just do not like anyone from ND, lol. I think they are all over rated. Perfect example of Clausen. Kiper is bitching so much, its like he is mad no one took him. Jimmy has no one to blame but that pos Weiss for telling him to go out now and screw ND. Purely a vindicative advisement to hose his old boss. Only cost Clausen 80million dollars.

StainlessStill
04-23-2010, 09:45 AM
There are obvious needs with this Steelers team..

but my wishlish for today is RB Toby Gerhart! This guy is an absolute HOME WRECKER and would look ABSOLUTELY stunning in Black and Gold. Talk about goalline back? Little dose of Mendenhall and Gerhart will have teams saying uncle.

S-M-A-S-H-M-O-U-T-H!

mikeyg
04-23-2010, 09:45 AM
They said on ESPN Pittsburgh that they had talked with Colbert and that he feels the draft is so deep that they are pretty content staying where they are.

dittos - GAY SUCKS - how much more do we have to see? this is a failed draft if a CB STARTER is not found

mikeyg
04-23-2010, 09:52 AM

dittos - GAY SUCKS - how much more do we have to see? this is a failed draft if a CB STARTER is not found

sorry for duplicate entry - learning the system :)

focosteeler
04-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Linval Joseph and Koa Misi / Eric Norwood.

I would love to see a trade up to allow for 3 picks in rounds 2 & 3. I would like to see D line, CB and OLB

if we get joseph and one of the LB's i will be very happy

Steelers>NFL
04-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Mays won't last, Steelers appear to not want to trade up, but obviously that can change.

As much as I want a CB, I ove Gerhart and Shipley. I think Gerhart is a more powerful Hoge and Riggins like, gives us that short down burst we lack with a huge heart to succeed. Shipley can be that Wes Welker type.

Golden Tate I just do not like anyone from ND, lol. I think they are all over rated. Perfect example of Clausen. Kiper is bitching so much, its like he is mad no one took him. Jimmy has no one to blame but that pos Weiss for telling him to go out now and screw ND. Purely a vindicative advisement to hose his old boss. Only cost Clausen 80million dollars.
I always thought Gerhart ran like Riggins. Except Gerhart is a little quicker on his feet.
Riggins was a great RB. Just a bull. Loved watching him.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-23-2010, 11:01 AM
I'd grab Gerhart and then the best CB and best LB available. Follow that with a WR and I think we've done well...

memphissteelergirl
04-23-2010, 11:07 AM
I'd grab Gerhart and then the best CB and best LB available. Follow that with a WR and I think we've done well...

:iagree:

Prok
04-23-2010, 11:09 AM
I hope best CB available.

Same here. I'd kill for a guy who can get up to the line and press WR's. I'm sick of that 10 yard cushion crap.

polamalubeast
04-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Same here. I'd kill for a guy who can get up to the line and press WR's. I'm sick of that 10 yard cushion crap.

:thumbsup:

Gay sucks:banging::banging::banging::mad:

Steel_Bus_24
04-23-2010, 11:14 AM
:thumbsup:

Gay sucks:banging::banging::banging::mad:

I hate to throw a Steeler under the bus like this.......but if you can't cover, then you damm well should be able to tackle.......and his tacking abilities were just atrocious last year

Troy can't do it all

steelreserve
04-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Call me crazy for thinking this, but since we have about 100 garbage picks in rounds 4-7 and not enough roster spots ... what are the odds we package some of those picks to get another second-rounder and take a chance on Terrance Cody? Yeah, I've got my doubts about the fat man just like everybody else, but I'd rather try and fail to find a future NT than not try and have the picks go to waste anyway on five guys who there isn't even room for on the practice squad.

Then with our regular second-round pick, we'd take someone who was less of a roll of the dice.

SteelGhost
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM

I'm with you Prok that cushion is insane, we need a decent CB

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Lets trade roethlisberger for a top 2nd round pick and 3rd, plus next years 1st and 3rd.... and then rebuild and start over?

plenewken
04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm with you Prok that cushion is insane, we need a decent CB

What about Lewis? and Burnett?

SteelGhost
04-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Not sure about those 2 plenewken, but we can give them the benefit of the doubt and see what happens :wink:

Do you see one of them in the 2010 Season starting line up ?

plenewken
04-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Not sure about those 2 plenewken, but we can give them the benefit of the doubt and see what happens :wink:

Do you see one of them in the 2010 Season starting line up ?

Hard to tell at this point but IMO Lewis is a safer bet than Gay.

SteelGhost
04-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Hard to tell at this point but IMO Lewis is a safer bet than Gay.

It would interesting how can K. Lewis play in his 2nd. year. I'd give him a chance, that Gay thing (no pun intended) is getting tiresome.

CargoJon
04-23-2010, 02:36 PM
First of all, he is probably the only example you can possibly name in that situation that has even moderately succeeded. Look up any other notable CB in the NFL and the only ones NOT taken in the first round are Asante Samuel and Al Harris. Secondly, he did nothing worth noting in his two years of play until the AFC Championship and Super Bowl, but those are fresh in everyone's minds so people are under the impression he's "amazing." Im not saying he won't succeed, and Im not saying it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a CB later than round 1 who can be half-decent. Im saying there is a HUGE dropoff after round 1 every year and going after a CB now with other positions we could pursue is a bad idea, yes there's a CHANCE we could land a gem in round 2 or 3 but history shows that the chances of doing so are like 1,000,000 to 1 (yes that's an exaggeration lol). If Kareem Jackson, Pat Robinson, and Devin Mccourtey hadn't gone in the first as they were projected to, Id be all for it.

Odd are just as good of a 1st rounder "busting" than a 2nd rounder, sometimes moreso due to increased expectations...

yinzer-inseattle
04-23-2010, 02:56 PM

2003 Draft had lots of value at CB beyond round 1. Probowlers in bold

5 Dallas Cowboys Terence Newman Cornerback Kansas State
11 Seattle Seahawks Marcus Trufant Cornerback Washington State
28 Tennessee Titans Andre Woolfolk Cornerback Oklahoma
30 San Diego Chargers Sammy Davis Cornerback Texas A&M
31 Oakland Raiders Nnamdi Asomugha Cornerback California
35 Chicago Bears Charles Tillman Cornerback Louisiana-Lafayette
36 New England Patriots Eugene Wilson Cornerback Illinois
39 Jacksonville Jaguars Rashean Mathis Cornerback Bethune-Cookman
46 San Diego Chargers Drayton Florence Cornerback Tuskegee
82 Carolina Panthers Ricky Manning Cornerback UCLA
90 Indianapolis Colts Donald Strickland Cornerback Colorado
92 Kansas City Chiefs Julian Battle Cornerback Tennessee
98 Cincinnati Bengals Dennis Weathersby Cornerback Oregon State
107 St. Louis Rams DeJuan Groce Cornerback Nebraska
111 Buffalo Bills Terrence McGee Cornerback Northwestern State
120 New England Patriots Asante Samuel Cornerback Central Florida
125 Pittsburgh Steelers Ike Taylor Cornerback Louisiana-Lafayette

SteelKnight
04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
maybe chris cook? golden tate? i really like Rob Gronkowski

I think all 3 will be gone.

The Pouncey pick was OK but I can't understand why the steelers didn't trade back into the first round for Wilson. You can never have enough good CBs. They should have gone for a top one...not another developmental project.

At least Wilson didn't go to the Ravens...would have haunted me.