PDA

View Full Version : What happened

Galax Steeler
04-23-2010, 05:07 AM
This was a weird draft for me how in the world Bulaga fall all the way to 23 and I don't think they was one mock draft having him fall out of the top ten. Was they something I missed or did his stock just drop.

Tim Tebow was another one having him go ahead of Clausen I don't think no one saw that one a coming. Clausen even fall out of the first round:doh: I think that Denver made a mistake with this pick and it will come back to haunt them in my opinion.

Maybe it is just me but I think some teams went crazy in this draft but it happens every year.

Aussie_steeler
04-23-2010, 05:18 AM
The last few years the trade value chart hasnt meant much.

Certain teams go hard after their man to ensure that they arent lost ( the take no chances approach eg. Jacksonsville - Alualu Chargers - Matthews)

Other teams just want to trade down and stockpile picks ( Pats)

I think it shows that there is no one correct philosophy and each GM is strong enough to stick to their own game plans.

Diehard steeler fans will scream blue murder that Maurkice Pouncey was picked ten positions too early. I say if you get your #1 man then why not be happy. Are we about saving money or winning football games?

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2010, 05:44 AM
This was a weird draft for me how in the world Bulaga fall all the way to 23 and I don't think they was one mock draft having him fall out of the top ten. Was they something I missed or did his stock just drop.

Tim Tebow was another one having him go ahead of Clausen I don't think no one saw that one a coming. Clausen even fall out of the first round:doh: I think that Denver made a mistake with this pick and it will come back to haunt them in my opinion.

Maybe it is just me but I think some teams went crazy in this draft but it happens every year.

The Jacksonville pick baffles me. Alualu is by no means a top 10 talent...he could have been had at the end of the first to early 2nd round.:noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2010, 05:47 AM
Diehard steeler fans will scream blue murder that Maurkice Pouncey was picked ten positions too early. I say if you get your #1 man then why not be happy. Are we about saving money or winning football games?

I think you are spot on.... I had us drafting an OC later (so i thought it was a team need) but I had Pouncy as a late 1st round pick and thought that we should trade down if we wanted him. That being said, I believe that he will be a very good player and upgrades the position for us.

Galax Steeler
04-23-2010, 05:54 AM
The Jacksonville pick baffles me. Alualu is by no means a top 10 talent...he could have been had at the end of the first to early 2nd round.:noidea:

That blows my mind to, you have a team that does that every year. Jacksonville really went overboard with that one like you said they could have waited longer and got him. In my opinion it was a stupid move but I guess that is why they get the big bucks.

Aussie_steeler
04-23-2010, 05:58 AM
I am guessing you have just started to get into some draft news like me. When I finished work the draft had been finished for about 5 hours.

When scrolling down the draft tracker I was stunned to see Alualu go at 10 to the jags. I was happy to see McClain go to the raiders as it is about time they made a serious and sensible pick.

The trade up to get Matthews at #12 by the chargers was reminiscent of the Jags mad trade up to get a DE ( groves i think) a couple of drafts ago.

As I thought Iupati would go one spot before us. I am very happy about the Pouncey pick. It is a safe pick, too safe for some, but I think it should potentially reap the rewards for a long time to come.

Clausen is a real stunner. I am guessing his west coast attitude must have really scared some teams off.

Great show of balls by buffalo to take Spiller.

How good did the 49ers O Line just get with Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati WOW.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2010, 07:09 AM
I am guessing you have just started to get into some draft news like me. When I finished work the draft had been finished for about 5 hours.

When scrolling down the draft tracker I was stunned to see Alualu go at 10 to the jags. I was happy to see McClain go to the raiders as it is about time they made a serious and sensible pick.

The trade up to get Matthews at #12 by the chargers was reminiscent of the Jags mad trade up to get a DE ( groves i think) a couple of drafts ago.

As I thought Iupati would go one spot before us. I am very happy about the Pouncey pick. It is a safe pick, too safe for some, but I think it should potentially reap the rewards for a long time to come.

Clausen is a real stunner. I am guessing his west coast attitude must have really scared some teams off.

Great show of balls by buffalo to take Spiller.

How good did the 49ers O Line just get with Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati WOW.

I think the Chargers knew that they had to leapfrog the Texans to get Matthews. I have to wonder if we couldnt have traded down with the Chargers...they could have still got Mmatthews...and we could have still got Pouncey plus a pick.

MasterOfPuppets
04-23-2010, 09:35 AM
I think the Chargers knew that they had to leapfrog the Texans to get Matthews. I have to wonder if we couldnt have traded down with the Chargers...they could have still got Mmatthews...and we could have still got Pouncey plus a pick.

i believe i heard them say the falcons may have had pouncey on thier radar. they had him in for a visit last week. :noidea:

mulldog24
04-23-2010, 09:44 AM
How about the Jets secondary now!!!? Revis, K. Wilson and Cromartie. I really thought that the Jets were gonna take Odrick(sp).....wild 1st rd.

taztroy43
04-23-2010, 10:22 AM

The reason that the Chargers leapfrogged to #12 is because the Seahawks(with Spiller gone) were probably going to take Mathews @ #14!!! So that's why the Chargers were so desperate to get up that high....If they would of waited, Mathews would of been Gone!

jollyrob68
04-23-2010, 10:32 AM
The last few years the trade value chart hasnt meant much.

Certain teams go hard after their man to ensure that they arent lost ( the take no chances approach eg. Jacksonsville - Alualu Chargers - Matthews)

Other teams just want to trade down and stockpile picks ( Pats)

I think it shows that there is no one correct philosophy and each GM is strong enough to stick to their own game plans.

Pouncey was ranked at 18 so he was picked where he was suppose to. and Any DIehard Steeler is jumping for joy that we finally took a quality o lineman. Pouncey was rated as the best interior lineman Center or Guard and theirs no other center who will be a starter this year at any position.

Jags needed to trade down and pickup additional picks and still get ALualu. I think if McClain was still there the Steelers might have moved. But according to Kevin Colbert they wanted Pouncey all along. I'm STOKED:tt03:

klick81
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm excited about this pick.

I just think it's funny how we finally pick an o-line man, and a good amount of fans are STILL b!tching.

Kingmagyar
04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Highlights for me

7 -Was I just kidding myself that Joe Haden would fall down enough for the Steelers to get him? YES...

Waiting to see what would happen at pick 8. Would the Raiders trade for Roethlisberger or have another crazy pick. They Took McClaine but still very high for a inside linebacker who has some deficiencies in his game.

Jacksonville at 10. Absolutely laughable. Del Rio must want his severance pay. Trade down then take him. Way Down.

13 -Philadelphia movies all the way up 11 picks to take Earl Thomas.... wait no Brandon Graham? a projected 3-4 OLB to play in a 4-3.

14- Seattle, Earl Thomas -hated to see him go. Was screaming at TV for Steelers to trade up and take him as a cornerback.

17- Frisco taking Iupati - happy we wouldn't have a chance to take him. He holds way too much. Pouncey much better pick.

20- Houston Kareem Jackson. Name I was hoping for the Steelers. Where is Kyle Wilson, wasn't he suppose to be the 2nd best corner in the draft?

21 Cincy takes a good tight end to haunt us the next ten years or so.

22- Denver takes a project at wide receiver and skips Dez Bryant. Ravens are salivating at the prospect of getting Dez.

23- Bulaga? Wasn't he suppose to go in the top ten. Boy did he look relieved when he got picked.

24 - Dallas trades up to steal Dez from Ravens! Never rooted for Dallas before but this was sweet. Ravens so messed up they trade out of the first round.

25- Denver with Ravens pick take Tim Tebow. Wow! Josh McDaniels knows how to keep his job security. Trade away pro-bowlers so the team is in a rebuilding mode then take two first round picks that need time to develop. Keep buying yourself time McDaniels. This pick will cost you your job eventually.

29 - NY Jets. Well Kyle Wilson may have landed in the perfect spot. Gets time to develop as a nickel back. He's actually perfect for this position. The Jets have everything in place for the Super Bowl. So what will go wrong?

30- Was Jahvid Best the last invitee standing? Saved of disappointment by a Trade up by Detroit.

32- Patrick Robinson to Saints. Maybe the last hope for a starting corner for the Steelers goes last.

No Jimmy Clausen, No Sergio Kindle, No Taylor Mays, No Bruce Campbell.

What a draft!!!

Ultimately I really think the hard work begins for the Steelers starting today. They must find a cornerback, a gem, soon.

wdsteel
04-23-2010, 11:44 AM
last year Michael Oher droped late 1st and Eben Britton droped out of 1st.. some teams that need ol screws up and picks someone else is a good thing till we do it :) BUT im very happy this year with Pouncey..

last year we should of goten Brit not cartoon ziggy :)

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
How about the Jets secondary now!!!? Revis, K. Wilson and Cromartie. I really thought that the Jets were gonna take Odrick(sp).....wild 1st rd.

This was one of my highlights from the draft...I predicted the Jets would go CB (though I thought it would be McCourty)

They are going to be devastating this next year. How many people can you blitz with that type of backfield?

The Duke
04-23-2010, 01:33 PM
How about the Jets secondary now!!!? Revis, K. Wilson and Cromartie.

It's good, but only because of revis and wilson

Cromartie sucks

Bulaga was a steal for GB at 23, even if, like many experts say, he can only play right tackle. Get Gabe Garimi from wisconsin next year and aaron rodgers will have excellent protection for 10+ years

Galax Steeler
04-23-2010, 03:49 PM
It's good, but only because of revis and wilson

Cromartie sucks

Bulaga was a steal for GB at 23, even if, like many experts say, he can only play right tackle. Get Gabe Garimi from wisconsin next year and aaron rodgers will have excellent protection for 10+ years

Do you think Cromartie will be the odd man out. You would think Revis and Wilson but where will Cromartie fit in the picture.