PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Swings And Misses With Pouncey....

RJC
04-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Thd drafting of Maurkice Pouncey was such a miss on a golden opportunity it isn't even funny. Once gain, Mike Tomlin proves that his man crushes defy the laws of common sense. As he did with Lawrence Timmons, Ziggy Hood, & now Pouncey he tries to fit a square peg into a round hole. Bryan Bulaga, a top 5 talent goes into free fall due to the whacky whims of a few teams. There's a guy, who could without a doubt play 4 OL positions, and quite possibly 5. He played a pro style offense at Iowa, and has everything you could ask for in a OL. Big, strong, tough, and nasty. He was built by God to play the OL. Then you have Pouncey.... a FLA product, who played in a gimmick offense, who by all accounts is averaged sized for an OL. Couple that with the fact that he's oddly built in that his legs appear to be skinny. A problem in a the Pro Game where he'll be expected to anchor against the likes of Shawn Rogers & Haloti Ngata. All in all, like when Tomlin drafted Timmons to be an OLB in the 3-4, and Hood to be a DE in the 3-4, despite the fact that both came from 4-3 programs and had never played their prospective positions, once again, he "projects" what he thinks Pouncey could be. You don't "project" in the 1st round. You take the proven commodity. His name is Bryan Bulaga...:banging:

Youngstown Steeler
04-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Wow, Bulaga a top 5 talent? Someone has a man-crush, but it isn't Tomlin.

Aussie_steeler
04-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Go back and do some research on Maurkice Pouncey before you write him off.

Pouncey is projected as the best center prospect of the last 10 years. Guess that just isnt good enough.

I guess drafting a center to play center is definitely putting a square peg in a round hole.

rthorsn
04-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Well put youngstown...Where are you seeing a "pro style" offense at Iowa?? Iowa does not run a spread option but that does not mean they run the prototypical "pro style" offense. Pouncey also held his own against Mt. Cody who slipped out of the first round BUT dan williams didn't and he got handled by Pouncey....OH and Mccoy the 3rd overall pick said he was the toughest he had ever gone against. Just some food for thought.

Texasteel
04-23-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm as big a Bulaga fan as anyone here. Was disappointed that we didn't take him, but you may want to let Maurkice get his jockstrap back on before you bad mouth him to much. He will be a good one.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2010, 08:00 AM
I had Pouncey as a late 1st rounder...but nfldraftscout.com ranked him as the #17 overall prospect. As far as him not being able to play against 3-4 tackles?

Well...

Analysis
Pass blocking: Adept at the shotgun snap. Good quickness and accuracy in firing the snap back and catching the defensive tackle. Stout at the point of attack. Quick, accurate hand placement and impressive strength to handle the bull rush. Big and strong enough to handle the nose guard one on one. Good lateral agility and balance to handle quicker defensive tackles. Keeps his head on a swivel and looks to help his teammates.

Run blocking: Rare combination of size, leverage and power as a drive blocker. Stays low and gets under the pads of his opponent to move him off the line of scrimmage. Very good combination blocker; capable of helping out the guard initially on the double-team and releasing to get to the second level. Good quickness, balance for the trap block. Plays with some nastiness. Looks to pancake his opponent when he feels he's off-balance. Good effort to sustain. Finishes the block.

Pulling/trapping: Not often asked to pull from the center position in this offense, but was asked to do this some as a freshman at right guard. Quick out of his stance and has the straight-line speed and balance to get out in front of the back. Good recognition to find his target and has the body control to adjust to the smaller opponent. Can be a punishing trap blocker. Good quickness and explodes into his opponent to knock him out of the play.

Initial Quickness: One of his best traits. Capable of making the accurate snap and still get his hands up quickly to catch the defensive tackle without losing much ground. Explosiveness as a trap blocker is impressive.

Downfield: Good, not great, speed to get to the second level. Good balance and agility to hit the moving target. Hustles downfield and looks for someone to hit.

Intangibles: Intelligent. Made all the line calls for Gators. Showed his toughness by starting in the 2009-10 Sugar Bowl only hours after receiving four bags of IV fluids and being treated for kidney stones. Underwent a CT scan that showed no obstruction in his kidneys and was cleared to play. Identical twin, Mike, plays right guard for the Gators and elected to return for his senior season.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273188?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

RJC
04-23-2010, 08:03 AM

Every mock had him going in the top 10. Most at 5 to KC. I'm not making it up...

SteelerFanInStl
04-23-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm as big a Bulaga fan as anyone here. Was disappointed that we didn't take him, but you may want to let Maurkice get his jockstrap back on before you bad mouth him to much. He will be a good one.

Exactly! I wanted Bulaga also but Pouncey is going to be a great player for us.

RJC
04-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Nevermind the whopping 14 he put up on his Wonderlic. Newsflash folks, OL should be your smartest players, and the OC should be the smartest of all. Maurkice Pouncey=FAIL

Texasteel
04-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Well put youngstown...Where are you seeing a "pro style" offense at Iowa?? Iowa does not run a spread option but that does not mean they run the prototypical "pro style" offense. Pouncey also held his own against Mt. Cody who slipped out of the first round BUT dan williams didn't and he got handled by Pouncey....OH and Mccoy the 3rd overall pick said he was the toughest he had ever gone against. Just some food for thought.

Iowa does in fact love to run the ball and work its way into the passing game. Pretty much what I've heard people around here say the Steelers should do. Their style of line play is very simular to the Steeler. Bulaga did a very good job in their bowl game against Morgan, how I think is much better that Cody. Bulaga would have been a great pick for us, maybe even a better pick, but that doesn't change the fact that we got a very good play that hopefully will be out OC for the next 15 years.

RJC
04-23-2010, 08:06 AM

Pouncey is projected as the best center prospect of the last 10 years. Guess that just isnt good enough.

I guess drafting a center to play center is definitely putting a square peg in a round hole.

They drafted a OC to play RG. Do you often talk without knowing the facts?

Texasteel
04-23-2010, 08:10 AM

Pouncey may start his career at RG, but will be playing OC in 2 years at the most. Believe me Aussie knows his facts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2010, 08:11 AM

He is gonna start at RG, because the Center has to make all the O line calls and you normally dont want a rookie doing that until he gets experience. Dermonti Dawson played at Guard his 1st year.........its pretty common.

As for the Pouncey haters---Gerald McCoy said that he was the toughest interior lineman he played against in his college career......I think that is a decent enough reference.

Aussie_steeler
04-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Nevermind the whopping 14 he put up on his Wonderlic. Newsflash folks, OL should be your smartest players, and the OC should be the smartest of all. Maurkice Pouncey=FAIL

OK - that post definitely convinces me that the front office definitely got it wrong.

Cant wait to see the corrections that you make for the rest of the picks that the FO are going to stuff up over the next rounds.

rthorsn
04-23-2010, 08:14 AM
If you want to be like Iowa then you need to run the ball.

To run the ball you need interior blocking.

To block inside you need 2 guards and a center.

Enter Pouncey

RJC
04-23-2010, 08:20 AM
OK - that post definitely convinces me that the front office definitely got it wrong.

Cant wait to see the corrections that you make for the rest of the picks that the FO are going to stuff up over the next rounds.

14 is freakin' horrendous. Forrest Gump kinda bad....

Steelers17
04-23-2010, 08:20 AM

It is impossible for a NFL center to play the position without a brain to date! Maurkice has a difficult challenge ahead unless our new center is moving to right guard immediately if not sooner! :tt03:

Texasteel
04-23-2010, 08:22 AM
If you want to be like Iowa then you need to run the ball.

To run the ball you need interior blocking.

To block inside you need 2 guards and a center.

Enter Pouncey

Tackles are pretty useful as well. We can go back and forth like this all day if you want, but the fact is I think we got a very good play in Pouncey, and over all I am very happy, just could be happier.

+NuBbS+
04-23-2010, 08:28 AM
i think most of the people don't get it. the last consistent center we had was jeff hartings. before that it was dermontti dawson. since hartings its been a revolving door or complete embarrassment. maybe we should of kept mahan? :chuckles: I say we put pouncey at guard and let the kid work. RG was a revolving door last year. time to close it and start making our oline even better.

KeiselPower99
04-23-2010, 08:29 AM
I wanted Bulaga as well but am happy with Pouncey. Only thing I dont like about it is I may need to get a new sig cause Legursky will be effected.

Shoes
04-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Thd drafting of Maurkice Pouncey was such a miss on a golden opportunity it isn't even funny. Once gain, Mike Tomlin proves that his man crushes defy the laws of common sense. As he did with Lawrence Timmons, Ziggy Hood, & now Pouncey he tries to fit a square peg into a round hole. Bryan Bulaga, a top 5 talent goes into free fall due to the whacky whims of a few teams. There's a guy, who could without a doubt play 4 OL positions, and quite possibly 5. He played a pro style offense at Iowa, and has everything you could ask for in a OL. Big, strong, tough, and nasty. He was built by God to play the OL. Then you have Pouncey.... a FLA product, who played in a gimmick offense, who by all accounts is averaged sized for an OL. Couple that with the fact that he's oddly built in that his legs appear to be skinny. A problem in a the Pro Game where he'll be expected to anchor against the likes of Shawn Rogers & Haloti Ngata. All in all, like when Tomlin drafted Timmons to be an OLB in the 3-4, and Hood to be a DE in the 3-4, despite the fact that both came from 4-3 programs and had never played their prospective positions, once again, he "projects" what he thinks Pouncey could be. You don't "project" in the 1st round. You take the proven commodity. His name is Bryan Bulaga...:banging:

You make it sound like Tomlin made this pick without the input of other coaches :coffee:

Youngstown Steeler
04-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Dan Marino scored a 16 on his wonderlic and we know how awful he was. Maybe you would rather have Drew Henson as your QB. He scored a 42. Wanna keep throwing out bogus stats?

markymarc
04-23-2010, 08:42 AM
The Steelers FO have nailed all of their first round picks since Colbert has joined them. Would it have been nice to pick up Bulaga, Dan Williams or Kyle Wilson....absolutely, but we just drafted one of the safest and of course best center in the entire draft last night.

Amazing how the kid hasn't even hit the field yet and is being called a bust. What a joke. You have to love fan GMs :chuckle:

Godfather
04-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Thd drafting of Maurkice Pouncey was such a miss on a golden opportunity it isn't even funny. Once gain, Mike Tomlin proves that his man crushes defy the laws of common sense. As he did with Lawrence Timmons, Ziggy Hood, & now Pouncey he tries to fit a square peg into a round hole. Bryan Bulaga, a

Yeah, those guys are terrible. :coffee:

Curtain_of_Steel
04-23-2010, 08:43 AM
14 on the wunderlic? lol

Pounsey you see the big guy in front of you? Yes Sir
He doesn't get to the QB! Yes Sir.

Understand me Pouncey, no get to the qb, got it? Yes Sir

Ok you pass.

I dont need my center or Guard to tell me how much is 1 and 1..

Aussie_steeler
04-23-2010, 08:49 AM

I guess the scouting department must have missed that one somehow. Must have been distracted with all the holmes and ben drama's going on of late.

We are really going to screw the rest of the draft up now. We forgot to consult the wonderlic scores.

Now apparently Terry Bradshaw, Randall Cunningham, Jim Kelly all scored 15. I guess that makes them Bubba if a 14 is Forrest.

Dan Marino was a 16, Donvan McNabb 14.

History shows that their teams all suffered immensely as the result of their intellectual impairments.

HINT( now you counter that an O lineman has the need for a higher wonderlic score than a QB and I counter that the wonderlic is a racially and culturally biased test)

revefsreleets
04-23-2010, 08:52 AM
I just want to know if they looked into trading down with anybody...Pouncey would have probably been on the board 7 to maybe even 10 picks later. We could have traded down to 25-28, picked up another draft pick and either used it or perhaps packaged it to move up higher in the 2nd.

+NuBbS+
04-23-2010, 08:53 AM
I guess the scouting department must have missed that one somehow. Must have been distracted with all the holmes and ben drama's going on of late.

We are really going to screw the rest of the draft up now. We forgot to consult the wonderlic scores.

Now apparently Terry Bradshaw, Randall Cunningham, Jim Kelly all scored 15. I guess that makes them Bubba if a 14 is Forrest.

History shows that their teams all suffered immensely as the result of their intellectual impairments.

HINT( now you counter that an O lineman has the need for a higher wonderlic score than a QB and I counter that the wonderlic is a racially and culturally biased test)

what has the wonderlic proved anyway? proof from this above statement. only a couple hall of famers right there.... just saying...lol

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2010, 08:56 AM

Would you have rather drafted Iupati as a Guard if he was available???

Aussie_steeler
04-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Would you have rather drafted Iupati as a Guard if he was available???

I think we would have drafted him to play RT...( and he was a 13 on the wonderlic)

Godfather
04-23-2010, 09:03 AM

You also have to wonder about the way the NFL administers the Wonderlic. Remember a few years ago when Brandon Jacobs, who's so dumb his teammates at Auburn called him "Radio", got a 20? Meanwhile Matt Mauck got a 16...same guy who passed the dental school admission exam. Dumb people don't pass the dental school exam.

Aussie_steeler
04-23-2010, 09:04 AM
You also have to wonder about the way the NFL administers the Wonderlic. Remember a few years ago when Brandon Jacobs, who's so dumb his teammates at Auburn called him "Radio", got a 20? Meanwhile Matt Mauck got a 16...same guy who passed the dental school admission exam. Dumb people don't pass the dental school exam.

But occasionally they make HOF QB's...... but never good O lineman.

Pi Kapp Steeler
04-23-2010, 09:05 AM

hahaha

steel9guy
04-23-2010, 09:05 AM
This guys a beast even though his wonderlic wasn't the best.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2010, 09:07 AM
I think we would have drafted him to play RT...( and he was a 13 on the wonderlic)

Yep...that was what I was getting at.:chuckle:

Stlrs4Life
04-23-2010, 09:08 AM
I just want to know if they looked into trading down with anybody...Pouncey would have probably been on the board 7 to maybe even 10 picks later. We could have traded down to 25-28, picked up another draft pick and either used it or perhaps packaged it to move up higher in the 2nd.

Apparantly, Pouncey was there man the entire time, teams called to trade the 18th:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Pouncey-was-their-man-all-along/3879ec6e-4724-4673-ae29-11bcb426d57f

Steelers17
04-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Moving To Guard:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10113/1052728-66.stm

"The Steelers plan to start out Pouncey, 20, at guard, where he started as a freshman at Florida before switching to center the past two years."

mikegrimey
04-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Funny how people are already declaring such and such a bust in comparison to another player when neither have played a down in the NFL yet.

This type of banter happens all the time, I say wait and see what we got before you whine about what you want.

memphissteelergirl
04-23-2010, 09:11 AM
This thread is a swing and a miss :coffee:

Pouncey is a solid pick. End. Of. Discussion.

Aussie_steeler
04-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Apparantly, Pouncey was there man the entire time, teams called to trade the 18th:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Pouncey-was-their-man-all-along/3879ec6e-4724-4673-ae29-11bcb426d57f

When the process began for the Steelers player personnel department, back at a time when the football team was still involved in the 2009 regular season, he was their man. When the league gathered for the scouting combine in late February, he was their man. After his pro day, he was their man. When they conducted their own mock draft on April 21, the eve of the first round, he was still their man.

The first round of the 2010 NFL Draft is now history, and whenever its story is told in the years to come, it will be noted that the Steelers got their man.

For them, all along, it was Florida center Maurkice Pouncey.

So instead of reading up on Wonderlic scores they were smoking Tones hash for the last few months and they fell in love with the big guy.

Talk about dropping the ball guys.

SteelerFanInStl
04-23-2010, 09:13 AM
“We not only liked what he did up front,” said Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin, “but here’s a guy who communicated at the line of scrimmage, and even in regards to safety rotations and so forth, this is a guy that’s capable of drawing up all 22 and understanding rotations and stuff that affect protections. He’s really a smart guy and mature beyond his years in that way.”

It seems that Tomlin doesn't place too much emphasis on the Wonderlic test either. :thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Just so that we can put this thread to rest....Kemoeatu ,our CURRENT guard on the right side, scored a 7 on his wonderlic.

Now, granted I never took the Wonderlic myself....but I'm pretty sure that Pouncy's score is twice as much as Kemoeatu's.:chuckle:

Aussie_steeler
04-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Just so that we can put this thread to rest....Kemoeatu ,our CURRENT guard on the right side, scored a 7 on his wonderlic.

Now, granted I never took the Wonderlic myself....but I'm pretty sure that Pouncy's score is twice as much as Kemoeatu's.:chuckle:

But I dont have 14 fingers to do the maths LLT. Does that mean I have to take my socks off to solve the problem?

If I get it wrong does that mean I am suitable to be Kemo's understudy?

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
But I dont have 14 fingers to do the maths LLT. Does that mean I have to take my socks off to solve the problem?

If I get it wrong does that mean I am suitable to be Kemo's understudy?

See....now you've gone and eliminated yourself as a possibility to play center for the Steelers!!!:doh:

Shoes
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM

My understanding was the falcons were after him also.

SteelerFanInCA
04-23-2010, 09:31 AM
It sounds like we have been scouting this kid since his Junior year in college. I've gotta trust the FO on this one. I see no problem with adding some stability at center or for now at least some depth.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2010, 09:36 AM

I think they could have traded down 5-7 spots and Pouncey still could have been there.

WOW...........we both agree on this AND Freddie Barnes!! That's it, I think its the final sign of the apocalypse.:wink:

As for the Wonderlic. Its just a tool in evaluation. I have taken it and 14 is a poor score, but the kid has football smarts.

SteelKid212
04-23-2010, 09:36 AM

sure budd... u know more than MIKE T or KEVIN COLBERT....

...............:coffee:

Texasteel
04-23-2010, 09:46 AM
See....now you've gone and eliminated yourself as a possibility to play center for the Steelers!!!:doh:

Yea, and I have suddeness and glide, I just can't run for crap.

wootawnee
04-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Great pick....We needed an interior lineman, not a tackle.......

mikeyg
04-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Every mock had him going in the top 10. Most at 5 to KC. I'm not making it up...

i would agree that Baluga was the best avail at that point - but that is not a knock on pouncey - he will be fine

Michael Keller
04-23-2010, 09:57 AM
I want to assume that the Steelers know that Pouncey is the better fit . My only concern is his weight, 304. Is he big enough ? He is going to have to handle some big boys in the middle hopefully for along time. Some one enlighten me in a objective manner. I am not a big Tomlin fan but i really want to be positive going forward and want to believe that this kid is the real deal.

Fire Haley
04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Bulaga had inj issues

Injury Report:

2007: Sat out the Syracuse (9/08), Iowa State (9/15), Wisconsin (9/22), Indiana (9/29) and Penn State (10/06) games with a shoulder sprain.

2008: Limited in spring drills due to shoulder issues.

2009: Missed the Iowa State (9/12), Arizona (9/19) and Penn State (9/26) games with a thyroid condition. Doctors discovered he had thyroiditis, a viral infection that causes the thyroid gland to overproduce thyroid hormones.

Back in the starting lineup for the final nine games, Bulaga struggled against elite pass rushers,

And he wasn't all that - -

Analysis:

Pass blocking: Tends to lunge against inside moves, lacks great recovery speed and can be beaten by secondary rush. Slow to recoil once extended. Hesitates when defenders let up. Gets bull rushed into the pocket by strong ends because he allows their hands into his chest, but typically anchors before reaching the quarterback. Must improve his arm-bar to keep rusher out of the pocket. Inconsistent quickness after the first step in his kick slide makes him susceptible to giving up the edge to quicker pass rushers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I want to assume that the Steelers know that Pouncey is the better fit . My only concern is his weight, 304. Is he big enough ? He is going to have to handle some big boys in the middle hopefully for along time. Some one enlighten me in a objective manner. I am not a big Tomlin fan but i really want to be positive going forward and want to believe that this kid is the real deal.

MK, Pouncey is 6'5" and has a big frame to put on more weight. He could probably play well at 315-320. I thought he was of the skill of Eric Wood, but more athletic.

The one real ringing endorsement that I LOVE about Pouncey was from the #3 overall pick Gerald McCoy. McCoy was asked on NFL network who was the toughest lineman he played against in college and McCoy said ........." one of those Pouncey twins from Florida"

If Gerald McCoy says Markice Pouncey was the toughest guy he played against in college, I say WELCOME TO THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!!

SteelerEmpire
04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Tomlin is addressing the front line... which has been this team's primary weakness for several years now.... I figure the focus will be in this area and in the defensive back field.

ajscratch71
04-23-2010, 10:06 AM

that post = FAIL
You're just another Tomlin h8r, as that Wonderlic score is not a true indicator of good someone will become.
Tell Marino, Kelly, Bradshaw, McNabb and McNair(R.I.P.) that there 15 score stopped them from being great football players.

ajscratch71
04-23-2010, 10:07 AM
that post = FAIL
You're just another Tomlin h8r, as that Wonderlic score is not a true indicator of good someone will become.
Tell Marino, Kelly, Bradshaw, McNabb and McNair(R.I.P.) that there 15 score stopped them from being great football players.

should be "their"...my bad

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Analysis:

Pass blocking: Tends to lunge against inside moves, lacks great recovery speed and can be beaten by secondary rush. Slow to recoil once extended. Hesitates when defenders let up. Gets bull rushed into the pocket by strong ends because he allows their hands into his chest, but typically anchors before reaching the quarterback. Must improve his arm-bar to keep rusher out of the pocket. Inconsistent quickness after the first step in his kick slide makes him susceptible to giving up the edge to quicker pass rushers.

Do you have a link to who posted this analysis?? Some of it is true, but most of it is not.

Bulaga didnt have the quickest feet or longest arms, but he is SO technically sound and efficient in his kick slide, that he makes up for all that.

He never gave the edge up to Derrick Morgan of GT all night in the bowl game and what exactly is an "arm bar"????? I think an Arm Bar is a wrestling term. :doh: The only way you want to lock arms with a defender is if you can grab "inside the frame" on his numbers. Otherwise, if you lock your arms on a defender, he can slap them off and rip by you.

Bulaga at the least is a pro bowl RT and a guy that can probably play LT well in this league like Joe Staley. I would have loved him to be a Steeler.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
It was a good pick for you guys, and one that really should open up the ground game if all things go according to plan.

Look at what Alex Mack did against you guys last game, him and Lawrence Vickers helped really open our ground game.

Indo
04-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Yea, and I have suddeness and glide, I just can't run for crap.

:toofunny:

That NEVER gets old...

BTW, I'm LOVIN' this pick.

wdsteel
04-23-2010, 10:17 AM
its good that you put that square peg into a round hole because once you do that square peg is not coming out again...Pouncey WILL be an all-pro C for years to come..i also wanted Bulaga once he droped to us but hey you cant get them all..
Pouncey was my 2nd pick way before the draft.. 1 Iupati 2 Pouncey they both will be HOFer's lol calling it now

Indo
04-23-2010, 10:28 AM
This is what Tomlin had to say about Pouncey's Wonderlic:

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

Q: He supposedly had a low Wonderlic score. Did you look at that?

MT A: “We don’t talk about the score per se but the intelligence and ability to communicate at the center position is very valuable. Coach Kugler, again, had him on the board and coach Tomlin and I sat back and watched and we were very impressed at the way he could recall what he was taught and give it back to coach Kugler almost flawlessly. Florida did talk very highly of his intelligence and his ability to communicate. It was clear watching him work among his peers and in the weight room and on the field that this guy stood out as one of the (leaders) for sure.”

TheWarDen86
04-23-2010, 10:45 AM

But everyone agreed that if K.C. didn't take him, he would fall deep. The guy is good but no one (with any knowledge) seems to be able to say with any confidence that he was the better pick over Pouncey.

Fire Haley
04-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Do you have a link to who posted this analysis?? Some of it is true, but most of it is not.

Bulaga didnt have the quickest feet or longest arms, but he is SO technically sound and efficient in his kick slide, that he makes up for all that. .

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1243680

GBMelBlount
04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
I realize some people are irritated we didn't pick Bulaga, but it's done now and all this back and forth and second guessing is pure speculation.

We will know in a year or two if he pans out and if we made the right pick.

Why don't we focus on the next rounds.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-23-2010, 10:57 AM
It's a draft, folks. We won't know how this played out for some time. I don't read any stuff about these players because it's all irrelevant. I trust the front office and what they learned during those visits, which NONE of us know anything of...

This kid might be great or turn into a pile of dung...who knows.

Prok
04-23-2010, 11:02 AM
It's a draft, folks. We won't know how this played out for some time. I don't read any stuff about these players because it's all irrelevant. I trust the front office and what they learned during those visits, which NONE of us know anything of...

This. But i'm hoping he can come in and start for us immediately. We need the help on the OL plus how long has it been since we had a first rounder contribute early?

TheWarDen86
04-23-2010, 11:03 AM

VWP. :applaudit:

BlastFurnace
04-23-2010, 11:13 AM
I realize some people are irritated we didn't pick Bulaga, but it's done now and all this back and forth and second guessing is pure speculation.

We will know in a year or two if he pans out and if we made the right pick.

Why don't we focus on the next rounds.

I agree. The first time we get a 1st down on a 3rd and 1, everyone will be happy.

This is the type of pick that offers no splash, but will pay dividends for the next 10+ years.

Indo
04-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I agree. The first time we get a 1st down on a 3rd and 1, everyone will be happy.

This is the type of pick that offers no splash, but will pay dividends 10+ years down the road.

Yep.

Because there ain't no splash without the big boys up front

SteelCityMom
04-23-2010, 11:32 AM

And JaMarcus Russell scored a 24...what's your point (other than the wonderlic means jack crap)?

Michael Keller
04-23-2010, 11:33 AM
MK, Pouncey is 6'5" and has a big frame to put on more weight. He could probably play well at 315-320. I thought he was of the skill of Eric Wood, but more athletic.

The one real ringing endorsement that I LOVE about Pouncey was from the #3 overall pick Gerald McCoy. McCoy was asked on NFL network who was the toughest lineman he played against in college and McCoy said ........." one of those Pouncey twins from Florida"

If Gerald McCoy says Markice Pouncey was the toughest guy he played against in college, I say WELCOME TO THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!!

Gonz

I was hoping you would reply to my ?. Do you look for him to start this year? Ok Now whats next?

TheWarDen86
04-23-2010, 11:42 AM

Do you know how many football questions are on that test? None. I'd be curious to know what Faneca scored. Not that it matters in any way, shape or form.

:coffee:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I would have been happy with Baluga...But Pouncey will do just fine... We accomplished a goal that was set . Upgrade OL and we did that... Hopefully we trade away some of our later picks and get 2 picks in the 2nd.

KartSteel
04-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Ok, let's take a look at the track record of Kevin Colbert since he has been a Steeler, especially in the 1st round. In my opinion he has been one of the best in evaluating talent in that round. When is the last time that he has missed. Some may say Timmons but that is too early still in my opinion. All the publications say that Pouncey is NFL ready right now. I don't agree that we missed on this. Do you not think the Steelers did their due diligence on Bulaga? I don't think that Colbert would have passed on him if he was that much better than Pouncey. Also, if we want to get back to a balanced offence, we need to be able to run the ball. A good centre that will be around for the next 10-15 years is invaluable. This is the beginning of re-making that line & it's about time, in my opinion. As mentioned prior, please read his Bio, before posting.

SteelC7
04-23-2010, 01:02 PM
congrats pouncey!!! dont rape girls or smack em around, unless u can pay em off like holmes and ben couldnt lol still love ben/holmes!!!!

Sharkissle29
04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
proclaiming a bust before he even puts on a steeler uniform....i love it

OneForTheToe
04-23-2010, 01:40 PM
I wanted Bulaga as well but am happy with Pouncey. Only thing I dont like about it is I may need to get a new sig cause Legursky will be effected.

Legursky still has a chance to be a future guard for the Steelers, or center if Pouncy doesn't pan out for some reason. Kraig Urbik and Tony Hills had better get their collective butts in gear as well.

steelerdude15
04-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Lawrence Timmons, Ziggy Hood
These two are good players. Timmons has been coming around and Hood had a good rookie season.

Tone's Toes
04-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Steelers didn't swing & miss with Pouncey. He's a pretty safe pick and will contribute right away. Buluga would have to be a LT for it to be worth it and there's too much question whether he's a LT or RT. Coaching staff loves Colon at RT (As do I... Hate the penalties, but he's still solid) and management loves Max Starks at LT (I don't).

The only argument was to take a CB. A lot of 2nd - 3rd round lineman start right away, but not a lot of 2nd - 3rd round corners start right away. The Steekers could have got a starting CB in round 1 and still got a starting C/G in round 2 or 3. Steelers went O-Line though, so they probably got a starting C/G in round 1 and will only get a depth CB that could develop into a starter in a few years in round 2 or 3.

revefsreleets
04-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Two points: First, it's obvious the Steelers loved him so much they considered him totally worth #18 even if nobody else did, so, I get that. Also have to love the fact that they love him so much. That gives me some confidence where yesterday I might have had some questions.

In re the wonderlic, I've taken the test and it is really pretty simple....BUT, one of the scouting reports here listed Pouncey as being smart and making all the line calls for the Gators, so I'm going to guess that he's got a good football IQ. Since football players play football and don't build and launch rockets, that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the article, Dom!

revefsreleets
04-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Also, doesn't Ramon Foster figure into this argument somewhere, or has he officially been moved to tackle?

steelerdave1969
04-23-2010, 02:15 PM

A gimic offense . . lol
I think the selection is a good one and the only reason I would have liked it better is if they would have taken a DB like Kyle Wilson.

MaidenIndiana
04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Personally I like the pick. My only question is why are there so many supposed draft experts on this board when they could be on T.V. with the other supposed draft experts?

CABurghfan
04-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Bulaga, Wilson, Odrick, Bryant, Weatherspoon...... They all fell past us. I coulda been happy with pretty much any of them, but we had a need, we filled it with a pretty good player, and we move on.

BehindSteelCurtain
04-23-2010, 03:56 PM

6'5 315 is average?

Bulaga is the same size ....Idiot:noidea:

Preacher
04-23-2010, 04:01 PM

:rolleyes:

However, after having interviewed Pouncey and conducting other background checks, personnel men for six teams all said Pouncey's score of 14 wasn't a concern.
"He's a real smart guy," said Eric DeCosta, the Baltimore Ravens' director of player personnel. "He's very smart football-wise."

Funny thing is, when he came tp Pittsburgh, they made him watch tape. He sat there and identified schemes, called them out like he was playing, etc. etc. He impressed all the coaches.

Sometimes, you just bomb a test. That is why the PROFESSIONALS actually spend MONTHS evaluating talent, and posters on a online forum are far FAR below in both football knowledge and insight to a specific person.

I really think most of us oughta just get over ourselves when it comes to "talent evaluation".

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/90994914.html

Preacher
04-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Two points: First, it's obvious the Steelers loved him so much they considered him totally worth #18 even if nobody else did, so, I get that. Also have to love the fact that they love him so much. That gives me some confidence where yesterday I might have had some questions.

In re the wonderlic, I've taken the test and it is really pretty simple....BUT, one of the scouting reports here listed Pouncey as being smart and making all the line calls for the Gators, so I'm going to guess that he's got a good football IQ. Since football players play football and don't build and launch rockets, that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the article, Dom!

Don't forget, there are also a NUMBER of issues that can make that wonderlic simply not indicitive.

The kid could have taken cold medicene, could have ADD, could have skipped a question half way through, but made the mistake of filling in the bubble (I'm assuming its a bubble answer) on the answer sheet for that question with the answer from teh next question. He also could just not test well, be a spacial thinker instead of linear reason, etc. etc.

Those tests are NOT the be all in all. They are a good tool to point teams know what specific questions they should ask and what to look for.

billybob49
04-23-2010, 06:23 PM
I see nothing wrong with the pick . We never get what we want anyway . I don't want to quote the rolling stones or anything like that , but maybe we got what we need . Due to our winning so much , it kind of cuts down on your draft options . Tomlin said he could start as a right guard , and not center . I like where we are so far . You know you can never please everyone . Like it or lump it , Pouncey is a Steeler now . Show him the respect he deserves , and give him a chance . Please ?

pete74
04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
we will find out when the season starts if he is worth the 18th pick or another bust

PalmerSteel
04-23-2010, 07:14 PM
come on guys, have some faith. we have arguably picked the best player at their position in the draft for the past 7 years! i bet no one other team can claim that!

St33lersguy
04-23-2010, 07:36 PM
This team is just getting dumber and dumber. Passing up a bunch of better players satisfied more pressing needs just because you were impressed with a workout from a 2nd round prospect is fail. If they weren't going to fill the many holes on defense atleast get Bryan Bulaga who was top 10 pick rather than a 2nd-3rd round prospect who started to rise after meaningless workouts

St33lersguy
04-23-2010, 07:39 PM
come on guys, have some faith. we have arguably picked the best player at their position in the draft for the past 7 years! i bet no one other team can claim that!

Wow you are faithful. You still have faith in your team after all the stupid boneheaded fail moves they made this past month

sharkweek
04-23-2010, 07:41 PM

that's funny, because Forrest Gump was an amazing football player...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Wow you are faithful. You still have faith in your team after all the stupid boneheaded fail moves they made this past month

Yeah your right. Maybe you should find a new team to put your faith in. Hell, the only thing this one has ever done for us is win 6 Super Bowls including 2 in the past 5 years. Screw em

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I definitely wanted Bryan Bulaga, but I'm not gonna bash this pick. I think Pouncey could be very productive.

kittenfantastico76
04-23-2010, 08:07 PM
All I can say is I will give anyone a chance to prove himself but I'm still really, really annoyed that we missed out on T. Cody. GRRR!

43Hitman
04-23-2010, 08:15 PM
This team is just getting dumber and dumber. Passing up a bunch of better players satisfied more pressing needs just because you were impressed with a workout from a 2nd round prospect is fail. If they weren't going to fill the many holes on defense atleast get Bryan Bulaga who was top 10 pick rather than a 2nd-3rd round prospect who started to rise after meaningless workouts

:blah::blah::blah: I hear that the Brown's are taking applications for new fans. Maybe you should apply, cause you have the bitching and moaning part down pat.

SteelerFanInATL
04-23-2010, 08:17 PM

WOW.......and I suppose that you have a job as a scout for an NFL Team.:blah::blah::blah:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-23-2010, 11:14 PM
I scored a 30-something on the Wondelric to get accepted to ITT-Tech (never attended, couldn't get financial aide).......but I flunked out of community college in the fall semester of 2003.

I love the pick. For those that are bashing it.....I wonder what you're going to be saying months from now when he's blowing open holes for Mendenhall and then in a year or two when he makes the center position stable and becomes a dominant player there.

Havik
04-23-2010, 11:49 PM
My thoughts on Pouncey:

Has played well for a big program, facing tough competition in the SEC. Played well against Terrence Cody and Dan Williams who draw double teams, and played well against Gerald McCoy. Considered by coaches and teammates to be a leader with great work ethic.

Center has been a huge need since Jeff Hartings retired. Justin Hartwig is terrible and needs replaced anyway. Unlike rounds 2 and 3, I love this pick.

rick723
04-24-2010, 07:29 AM

NEWSFLASH
wonderlick is a joke. If you think otherwise, you need to be screaming go bungles on Sunday's this fall

solardave
04-24-2010, 08:16 AM

Kettle black. One question for you. Can Bulaga play center? We haven't had one since Hartings retired. One year at RG and then Pouncey anchors the middle for 10 more.

RJC
04-25-2010, 02:16 AM
Kettle black. One question for you. Can Bulaga play center? We haven't had one since Hartings retired. One year at RG and then Pouncey anchors the middle for 10 more.

No, Bulaga can play RT, which would enable Colon to play RG, which makes us better at 2 spots instead of 1. Then you draft a OC where almost everyone else in the free world drafts them....the 2nd round. Jon Asamoa was there, and he was the 2nd rated OC in the draft. Instead, we reached....

steelerohio
04-25-2010, 02:37 AM
I am liking this pick... and while I am not too impressed with some of the later picks, I see no need to proclaim any of them a bust until they proved themselves

jpa375
04-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Pouncey will be a HOF'er. Mark it down. Now whoever started this thread should kiss Pouncey on the lips.

tube517
04-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Depth at OLB, OL, WR, DB, RB and ST.

Yeah, this draft sucks. Fire Colbert, Tomlin, LeBeau, the New OL coach and the new ST coach. Art II should step down and they should sell the team.

:blah:

steelpride12
04-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Why right off Pouncey already before he plays one down? This kid is big and has the talent to play center or move around on the line. I like Bulaga, but his stock dropped for a reason and Pouncey's did not.

Let this kid go out there and prove his stuff before saying he was a bad pickup.

XxKnightxX
04-25-2010, 12:18 PM
No, Bulaga can play RT, which would enable Colon to play RG, which makes us better at 2 spots instead of 1. Then you draft a OC where almost everyone else in the free world drafts them....the 2nd round. Jon Asamoa was there, and he was the 2nd rated OC in the draft. Instead, we reached....

Yeah Okay sure Lets plug Linemen in and out like if it was Madden 2011. You seriously gonna put a Rookie RT on the edge against NFL hungry speed rushers on an island especially with the schedule we have right now? Cmon use some common sense Colon is fine at where hes at and You tell me how easy it is to find Great Centers on the Draft. It isnt and look at the level of competition Pouncey went against compared to Bulaga. No brainer pouncey was the best pick