PDA

View Full Version : RUN THE BALL

Dino 6 Rings
04-23-2010, 08:53 AM
That's what the drafting of a Center/Guard tells me we intend on doing for the time Ben is on the bench.

Now, go draft me that kid Gerhart of Stanford as a compliment big back to Mendenhall and my soul will be happy.

Rooneys said it right after the season, Tomlin said it, everyone has said it but the OC, and apparently, he kept his job because he agreed it is probably a good idea to run more.

Yes...run it...run it...run it...:tt04:

Men of Steel
04-23-2010, 10:38 AM
That's what the drafting of a Center/Guard tells me we intend on doing for the time Ben is on the bench.

Now, go draft me that kid Gerhart of Stanford as a compliment big back to Mendenhall and my soul will be happy.

Rooneys said it right after the season, Tomlin said it, everyone has said it but the OC, and apparently, he kept his job because he agreed it is probably a good idea to run more.

GERHART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smashmouth right around the corner....... :drink:

:tt03:

solardave
04-23-2010, 10:44 AM
This kid looks like a Dan Kreider type. We could sure use him. Imagine what Mendy could do with this guy opening holes plus throw in some quick handoffs just to keep the opposing D honest. Not to mention he is no stranger to the endzone.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Right on Dino. Gerhart would be a great pick.

But I still want to pass pass pass. Just not going to happen in the first 4 games, lol

Curtain_of_Steel
04-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Kreider?lol

There are plenty of other comparasions I would use before Krieder. You don't use a 2nd round pick on a krieder type, lol

mikeyg
04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
ARIANS is still here - did you all forget?

wdsteel
04-23-2010, 11:26 AM
I would Love to have Gerhart but think we need defense in 2nd hope we trade up for another 2nd witch dont think it will happen to get him..sorry

polamalubeast
RUN,RUN,PASS,PUNT:coffee:

I'm not excited.:banging:

Steel_Bus_24
ARIANS is still here - did you all forget?

yeah man.....Arians will finally be able to unleash his master plan with EL at Qb and go six wide

Arians will exploit the mismatch with ARE throwing to none other then himself

Dino 6 Rings
04-23-2010, 11:32 AM
for 4 games, Pass Run Run, Run Pass Run, Pass Pass Run, Run Run Pass, might just be enough to get us through it til our QB gets back on the field.

HERE WE GO!

Dino 6 Rings
04-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Because...Pass Sack Incomplete Punt didn't work last year.

Edman
04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
RUN,RUN,PASS,PUNT:coffee:

I'm not excited.:banging:

As opposed to Pass, Pass, Sack, Punt?

How about Pass, Pass, False Start, Incomplete, Punt?

Let's dabble some more shall we? How does Driving down the field and failing to punch it in sound? Let's see some more of that! 300-400 yards of offense while mustering only 13 points or even less! FIVE WIDE empty set on 3rd and 1!

For even more lunacy, let's relive the disaster last December in Cleveland!

The "Greatest show on Grass" offense tried and failed. The Steelers need to regain their physicality in the trenches. Plus, Holmes is gone. The passing game will not be as good. Now we'll HAVE to start running the ball again.

mikeyg
04-23-2010, 11:43 AM
yeah man.....Arians will finally be able to unleash his master plan with EL and go six wide

Arians will exploit the mismatch with ARE throwing to none other then himself

:applaudit:

memphissteelergirl
04-23-2010, 12:11 PM
As opposed to Pass, Pass, Sack, Punt?

How about Pass, Pass, False Start, Incomplete, Punt?

Let's dabble some more shall we? How does Driving down the field and failing to punch it in sound? Let's see some more of that! 300-400 yards of offense while mustering only 13 points or even less! FIVE WIDE empty set on 3rd and 1!

For even more lunacy, let's relive the disaster last December in Cleveland!

The "Greatest show on Grass" offense tried and failed. The Steelers need to regain their physicality in the trenches. Plus, Holmes is gone. The passing game will not be as good. Now we'll HAVE to start running the ball again.

^^This.

SteelerFanInStl
04-23-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm all for getting back to running the ball but Gerhart in the 2nd isn't the answer. We already have a very good starting RB in Mendy and don't need to use a 2nd round pick on his backup. We can get Dixon or Blount in the 4th and they'll handle the short yardage plays as well as give Mendy a rest, along with Moore.

Prok
04-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Because...Pass Sack Incomplete Punt didn't work last year.

I'm sticking to my play-calling HAS to improve theory.

I could care less about the run to pass ratio. Gameplanning and play-calling did us in imo.

Sharkissle29
04-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Running the ball does wonders to an offense.

Opens up the passing game with play action etc. However, Arians just doesnt get it.

Dino 6 Rings
04-23-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm all for getting back to running the ball but Gerhart in the 2nd isn't the answer. We already have a very good starting RB in Mendy and don't need to use a 2nd round pick on his backup. We can get Dixon or Blount in the 4th and they'll handle the short yardage plays as well as give Mendy a rest, along with Moore.

Did you just say Blount?!?!

Really?

I mean, really?

The Duke
04-23-2010, 01:49 PM
As long as in the playoffs they don't start pounding it until they lose, I'm all for running the ball more

so many options for backup runningback in the late round too....

SteelerFanInStl
04-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Did you just say Blount?!?!

Really?

I mean, really?

Uh, yea. He's a short yardage back, which is what we need. I'd rather have Dixon but Blount would fit also. We were interested enough in him to bring him in and I'm sure that he was grilled about his suspension last year. If there's any doubt about his character then I'm sure that he won't be taken.

I'd rather spend a 4th round pick on a power back then to spend a 2nd round pick on a RB when we have greater needs.

Galax Steeler
04-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Pouncey should help hte run game alot. I have watched him in some highlights and he really gets off of the snap very well. He should be able to get a push into the second level. I was wanting someone else at 18 but the more I read and watch him I would say he is going to be a pro bowl center.

Men of Steel
04-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Pouncey should help hte run game alot. I have watched him in some highlights and he really gets off of the snap very well. He should be able to get a push into the second level. I was wanting someone else at 18 but the more I read and watch him I would say he is going to be a pro bowl center.

^^i second that.

i feel the exact same bout pouncey.

Preacher
04-23-2010, 06:03 PM

Actually Dino, the Rooney's didn't say to run it more. They said to run it more EFFECTIVELY.

I've said ti before and I'll say it again. Going to back to a 90's smashmouth offense will make us superbowl barren for another 25 years.

Balance. Balance, balance balance.

And notice, Pouncey comes out of a SPREAD formation offense. That means, they are looking at a kid who can PASS PROTECT.

Triggerfish
04-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Am I the only guy who PRAYS that they look at a CB in at LEAST the 2nd or 3rd round? There's 4 of the top prospects off the board already, but guys like Earl Thomas from Texas and Kareem Jackson from Alabama are still hanging around. I don't know if I can take another season of watching Gay run around looking completely lost and looking around wildly up to the sky because he has no clue where the ball is....all while getting burnt by average-at-best WRs. Polamalu's absence last season really exposed just how pathetic these guys are....especially Gay. I loathe that dude.

That being said, I liked the Pouncey. I think he's really going to solidify the middle. He's a big athletic dude, and shouldn't get pushed around easily. :tt03:

AllD
04-24-2010, 08:49 AM
RUN FORREST RUN!!!

Triggerfish
04-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Well....so much for getting a corner. I sure hope they see something special in Lewis and/or Burnett!

I suppose everyone has their own pet peeves, but mine has DEFINITELY been watching our pathetic secondary get picked apart, especially on late 4th quarter drives, and eventually losing the game for us. It's really just ridiculous how bad our corners are! I mean, when Troy is on the field, he makes up for some of their shortcomings, and people don't notice quite as much. They're still terrible, we're just fortunate enough to have a beast like Polamalu who can cover an entire football field. Last year, with Troy out, we all got a front row seat to just how bad these guys are. It was honestly embarrassing to watch at times. Gay, especially, looks like a JV High Schooler out there amongst the pros. I can't imagine that either Lewis OR Burnett could look much worse.

That being said, I don't HATE any of these first three picks. I really believe that Pouncey has the makings of a Pro-Bowl Center. We really did need some help in the middle to get Mendy and the running game going. But Pouncey seems to be the real deal, and can pass protect too. He's big, athletic, physical, and won't be pushed off easily. Maybe a BIT of a stretch in the 1st, but he wouldn't have been there in the 2nd. Worilds is an abover-average LB, physical, explosive, but I think we could have held out for a later pick this year or possibly even next year. I think he'll be a good fit with this defense, but i just don't see it as a glaring need right now. I don't know a ton about Sanders, other than he's quick off the line and has a knack for getting into open spaces, but reports are that he's not much of a route-runner, isn't sharp out of his cuts, and gets pushed off routes easily. He might fit in well with Ben's style of extending plays and waiting for someone to slip coverage. Sounds like a decent slot guy. We'll see.

i know the O-line os problematic, but I've maintained that alot of our O-line issues in passing plays can be attributed to Ben's playing style. Ben is what he is. He holds onto the ball too long, tries to extend every play, and therefore takes a lot of sacks. It's bout a source of frustration at times, and at other times the reason we love him. That being said, I like the idea of solidifying the middle and improving the running game, so I can live with Pouncey in the 1st. But I would still have loved to see a CB in 2 or 3.

But, all we can do is have faith in the club. Historically, no one drafts better than the Steelers, so obviously these guys have a lot more knowledge then me. I just hope they're right this time, and the secondary isn't the oozing sore it's been the last few seasons.