PDA

View Full Version : What Will the Steelers Do on Draft Day Two?

mesaSteeler
04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
What Will the Steelers Do on Draft Day Two?
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/4/23/1439298/what-will-the-steelers-do-on-draft#storyjump
by maryrose on Apr 23, 2010 12:05 PM EDT Comment 0 comments

The Steelers have to 20th pick in Round Two. Being on a separate day, this allows us to take a breath and recalibrate the board. Maurkice Pouncey was a great pick yesterday. Many wanted the cornerback, but I agree with Blitz. Why are we taking guys like Kennan Lewis and Joe Burnett if they don't get a chance? We can't keep chasing our tail and drafting guys to replace guys we just drafted. The team would never improve. On the continuum of "Need vs. BPA," we all fall on that line in scattered places. We've had this debate many times.

My own philosophy is that you take need as long as you do not sacrifice quality. That is exactly what the Steelers did yesterday. The offensive line had been the unit most neglected by top draft choices in the recent decade, and it showed. Pouncey is a need who happens to be very high quality. Scouts Inc. gives him a 93 grading. Whether you put stock in their system or not, they know a helluva lot more than I, so I respect their system until proven otherwise. When the Steelers picked 18th, the only grade higher on the board was a 94, so in my book, grab the 93 center.

The key, of course, is to have a very good batting average on these round 2-3 guys. As great as Kevin Colbert has been with first round gems, I am not so sure about his batting average on rounds 2-3. Another thing to keep in mind: Art Rooney made a comment many months ago that will soon come into play. He said that the Steelers must do a better job of getting their young guys into the game sooner. That was music to my ears. I always wondered why all these guys on other teams got thrown into the fire quickly, while Pittsburgh players needed two and three years of apprenticeship, but I digress. To the point, Rooney's statement increases the urgency of the 2-3 guys being quality, ready-quality.

Back to the future, today is a critical day for the Steelers to land two players who will have impact in the not-so-distant future, not taxi guys we are still calling young three years from now. Here are the top 25 players on the board. This will cover our second-round pick. What are your thoughts?

Quarterback (will eat up two of the 19 spots in front of us)

Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame (some, like Mel Kiper, considered him the best)

Colt McCoy (I think our friends in Cleveland will get him)

Running Back

Toby Gerhart (tough power runner Pittsburgher's love)

Dexter McCluster (the Anti-Gerhart, jitterbug Sproles type who makes defenders miss)

Wide Receiver

Arrelious Benn, Illinois (all-around quality, strong, but nothing that stands out)

Golden Tate, Notre Dame (wants the ball over the middle and is great with yards after catch)

Taylor Price, Ohio (from the MAC, but polished and had a great Senior Bowl)

Damian Williams, Southern Cal (Ready right now, from top program)

Offensive tackle

Rodger Saffold, Indiana (big, strong, athletic, second-team Big Ten)

Charles Brown, Southern Cal (best blocker in the Pac-10, might go high in Round Two)

Offensive Guard

Jon Asamoah, Illinois (third-rated guard on the entire board, underrated)

Vladimor Ducasse, Massachusetts (6-5, 332 can also play tackle, brings versatility)

Defensive Tackle

Lamarr Houston, Texas (one of those hybrid guys who played DT, DE and OLB in college)

Linval Joseph, East Carolina (strong as a bull, can play nose at 6-5, 328)

Brian Price, UCLA (small, but strong, quick and athletic, always in the backfield at UCLA,)

Terrance Cody, Alabama (huge at 6-4, 350, but stock has been dropping for some reason)

Defensive End

Everson Griffen, Southern Cal (still growing and learning, could have gone yesterday)

Inside Linebacker

Sean Lee, Penn State (instinctive, typical Penn State smart, always near the ball, tough)

Brandon Spikes, Florida (stock dropped with slowness at 5.05, but a really good football player)

Outside Linebacker

Sergio Kindle, Texas (best-rated guy still on board, sack-machine with off-field issues)

Koa Misi, Utah (smart kid who could back Harrison or Woodley)

Cornerback

Chris Cook, Virginia (Good size, good speed, good instincts, love this guy)

Jerome Murphy, South Florida (big hitter, Keenan Lewis type)

Safety

Nate Allen, South Florida (outstanding cover man, very teachable)

Taylor Mays, Southern Cal (most athletic talent in the draft, but never taught to cover anybody at USC)

Cinnjerm
04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm pulling for Tate, but that's just me.

Dino 6 Rings
04-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Trade all other picks to move up, Grab TATE and GERHART and head into the Pre-Season with that Roster.

Done.

Sharkissle29
04-23-2010, 12:43 PM
i want tate real bad. will it happen? probably not

Michael Keller
04-23-2010, 12:58 PM
What Will the Steelers Do on Draft Day Two?
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/4/23/1439298/what-will-the-steelers-do-on-draft#storyjump
by maryrose on Apr 23, 2010 12:05 PM EDT Comment 0 comments

The Steelers have to 20th pick in Round Two. Being on a separate day, this allows us to take a breath and recalibrate the board. Maurkice Pouncey was a great pick yesterday. Many wanted the cornerback, but I agree with Blitz. Why are we taking guys like Kennan Lewis and Joe Burnett if they don't get a chance? We can't keep chasing our tail and drafting guys to replace guys we just drafted. The team would never improve. On the continuum of "Need vs. BPA," we all fall on that line in scattered places. We've had this debate many times.

My own philosophy is that you take need as long as you do not sacrifice quality. That is exactly what the Steelers did yesterday. The offensive line had been the unit most neglected by top draft choices in the recent decade, and it showed. Pouncey is a need who happens to be very high quality. Scouts Inc. gives him a 93 grading. Whether you put stock in their system or not, they know a helluva lot more than I, so I respect their system until proven otherwise. When the Steelers picked 18th, the only grade higher on the board was a 94, so in my book, grab the 93 center.

The key, of course, is to have a very good batting average on these round 2-3 guys. As great as Kevin Colbert has been with first round gems, I am not so sure about his batting average on rounds 2-3. Another thing to keep in mind: Art Rooney made a comment many months ago that will soon come into play. He said that the Steelers must do a better job of getting their young guys into the game sooner. That was music to my ears. I always wondered why all these guys on other teams got thrown into the fire quickly, while Pittsburgh players needed two and three years of apprenticeship, but I digress. To the point, Rooney's statement increases the urgency of the 2-3 guys being quality, ready-quality.

Back to the future, today is a critical day for the Steelers to land two players who will have impact in the not-so-distant future, not taxi guys we are still calling young three years from now. Here are the top 25 players on the board. This will cover our second-round pick. What are your thoughts?

Quarterback (will eat up two of the 19 spots in front of us)

Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame (some, like Mel Kiper, considered him the best)

Colt McCoy (I think our friends in Cleveland will get him)

Running Back

Toby Gerhart (tough power runner Pittsburgher's love)

Dexter McCluster (the Anti-Gerhart, jitterbug Sproles type who makes defenders miss)

Wide Receiver

Arrelious Benn, Illinois (all-around quality, strong, but nothing that stands out)

Golden Tate, Notre Dame (wants the ball over the middle and is great with yards after catch)

Taylor Price, Ohio (from the MAC, but polished and had a great Senior Bowl)

Damian Williams, Southern Cal (Ready right now, from top program)

Offensive tackle

Rodger Saffold, Indiana (big, strong, athletic, second-team Big Ten)

Charles Brown, Southern Cal (best blocker in the Pac-10, might go high in Round Two)

Offensive Guard

Jon Asamoah, Illinois (third-rated guard on the entire board, underrated)

Vladimor Ducasse, Massachusetts (6-5, 332 can also play tackle, brings versatility)

Defensive Tackle

Lamarr Houston, Texas (one of those hybrid guys who played DT, DE and OLB in college)

Linval Joseph, East Carolina (strong as a bull, can play nose at 6-5, 328)

Brian Price, UCLA (small, but strong, quick and athletic, always in the backfield at UCLA,)

Terrance Cody, Alabama (huge at 6-4, 350, but stock has been dropping for some reason)

Defensive End

Everson Griffen, Southern Cal (still growing and learning, could have gone yesterday)

Inside Linebacker

Sean Lee, Penn State (instinctive, typical Penn State smart, always near the ball, tough)

Brandon Spikes, Florida (stock dropped with slowness at 5.05, but a really good football player)

Outside Linebacker

Sergio Kindle, Texas (best-rated guy still on board, sack-machine with off-field issues)

Koa Misi, Utah (smart kid who could back Harrison or Woodley)

Cornerback

Chris Cook, Virginia (Good size, good speed, good instincts, love this guy)

Jerome Murphy, South Florida (big hitter, Keenan Lewis type)

Safety

Nate Allen, South Florida (outstanding cover man, very teachable)

Taylor Mays, Southern Cal (most athletic talent in the draft, but never taught to cover anybody at USC)

Well thought out post, thank you

Prok
04-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Agree that was a damn good post. I suppose we can't go wrong no matter which position we draft as this draft is very deep. But I still want the CB position addressed today.

StainlessStill
04-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Gerhart and Tate would make this draft a success by round 4. Must land these two, whatever it takes, or atleast one.

IMO, I'd rather have Gerhart than anyone.

Steeldude
04-23-2010, 01:11 PM
no need for a RB, QB, WR, K, P, C/G or TE on day 2.

IMO, they should look at DL, LB, DB

Mags87
04-23-2010, 01:15 PM
id love to see a big power back in black and gold again. that being said, id also love to see one of those top notch D lineman get picked up by us too. Smith and Keisel arent getting any younger.

steelreserve
04-23-2010, 01:25 PM
I say use our regular pick on Gerhardt or a LB. Then trade some of our 100 garbage picks who there's no room for on the roster to get another second-rounder, and use that on Terrance Cody.

Yeah, I know we'd be taking a chance on the big fatso. But the way I see it, Cody gives us a 50-50 chance of solving our NT issue for the long term, and if not, oh well - most of those late-rounders were going to go to waste anyway because we had no space for them.

I do not think we'll take a WR or a DB, because our roster is overflowing with them already. Granted, not overflowing with outstanding WRs and DBs, but we have enough that we'd either have to cut someone decent or cut someone we still like as a prospect. Only way I see this happening is if someone awesome (like Tate) falls within reach and we work out a deal to trade one of the existing WRs on our roster, either now or soon. Otherwise we just have too many.

focosteeler
04-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Toby Gerhart and Linval Joseph

Mags87
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM
I say use our regular pick on Gerhardt or a LB. Then trade some of our 100 garbage picks who there's no room for on the roster to get another second-rounder, and use that on Terrance Cody.

Yeah, I know we'd be taking a chance on the big fatso. But the way I see it, Cody gives us a 50-50 chance of solving our NT issue for the long term, and if not, oh well - most of those late-rounders were going to go to waste anyway because we had no space for them.

i was pretty big on Cody during the college football season too. but seeing what happened to hi since the championship game im a little more iffy. if we pick him and he turns out though.... we'd have Casey Jr. on our hands and that is fine by me.

plenewken
04-23-2010, 01:53 PM

Maybe we can sweeten the pot by adding the Pirates to the deal? Heck, I'd get rid of all of them for a 4th rounder. lol

I'd love to see Gerhardt, Mays, Tate and Sean Lee in Black and Gold but if I had to pick one, I'd say Gerhardt.

polamalubeast
04-23-2010, 02:19 PM
We must seek Landale White of the Titans
:chuckle::flap::coffee::toofunny:

lionslicer
04-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I heard people want a linebacker, since we have some old farts playing linebacker for us at the moment. But I think a corner or another o-line player would be the best bet.

And I saw some mock drafts with some corner back from wake forest being drafted by the Steelers.

atlee731
04-23-2010, 02:41 PM
no need for a RB, QB, WR, K, P, C/G or TE on day 2.

IMO, they should look at DL, LB, DB

I agree with Steeldude. With the low probability of high pick WRs succeeding, I don't think Tate or Benn or Williams should be taken.

My pick for Round 2 is Sean Lee. Give him a year to learn, then take over for Farrior next year.

If he's gone, then Joseph, Saffold, or Thomas.

Steel_Bus_24
04-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Id be happy if we got

Ghee, Allen, Tate, or Benn

SH-Rock
04-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Imma also go with tate and Cambell, but Im not getting my hopes up for Tate, Kansas City is going for him at number 36

Pittsburgh43
04-23-2010, 03:27 PM
What about that reciever from Bowling Green that a had a million receptions this season? I forget his name.

truesteelerfan
04-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Who is that HUGE, maybe 400 lb DT that I think played maybe at Alabama last season? Is he still avail as the potential replacement for big snack?

OneForTheToe
04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Toby Gerhart and Linval Joseph

Can't say I know much about Linval, but I like what I do know.

SH-Rock
04-23-2010, 03:31 PM
What about that reciever from Bowling Green that a had a million receptions this season? I forget his name.

Freddie Barnes?

Pittsburgh43
04-23-2010, 03:43 PM
^^Terrance Cody, yes he's available.

The reciever from BG is Freddie Barnes.

Pittsburgh43
04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Yepp, thanks SH-Rock. What round is he expected to go?

Prok
04-23-2010, 03:53 PM

I don't think Cody makes it to our selection. And even if he does i can't see us drafting him. I don't think Tomlin or Colbert have him rated that high.

But this team has surprised me before and will do so again so who knows.

:noidea:

SteelerFanInStl
04-23-2010, 04:34 PM
I don't think Cody makes it to our selection. And even if he does i can't see us drafting him. I don't think Tomlin or Colbert have him rated that high.

But this team has surprised me before and will do so again so who knows.

:noidea:

Let's hope not.

JCPsteelers
04-23-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't get the Gebhart love but whatever.. We are a one back , 3WR or 2TE team so why do we need a RB who needs to run out of the I-formation to be successful? We draft him he'd play maybe 5 plays a game. What's the point?

Golden Tate would be nice in the 2nd round. The kid from Ole Miss Mccluster or whatever his name is beyond fast.. I'd take him since I think he can be a slot WR and a part time RB in this offense..

Pittsburgh43
04-23-2010, 04:52 PM
I like Dexter McCluster. He's reallyy fast and could be a slot reciever and catch balls out of the backfield as well as return kicks and punts.

JCPsteelers
04-23-2010, 04:57 PM
I like Dexter McCluster. He's reallyy fast and could be a slot reciever and catch balls out of the backfield as well as return kicks and punts.

Yeah I think he's like a Reggie Bush type.. I like Moore but we could use an upgrade on 3rd down that has breakaway speed and can score anywhere on the field.. We could put him into motion and he would beat LB's in man coverage on slants and outs..

Pittsburgh43
04-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Plus, he's an Ole Miss product like Mike Wallace.

CABurghfan
04-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Ghee, Gerhart, Price, or Saffold. Would like to trade up and get 2 of them.....

Fire Haley
04-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Just so we don't go reaching in the 2nd for a "need" and get another Ricardo Colclough.

I'd rather shoot from the hip and take Dexter McCluster or Toby Gerhart.

Psyychoward86
04-23-2010, 06:18 PM
i like Tate, or a good LB, which there will still be plenty of at our 2nd round pick

theplatypus
04-23-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm betting on 2 of 3, rb,lb,ot, most likely RB and LB.

CargoJon
04-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Well, Chris Cook's off the board, that's who I had my eye on.

Fire Haley
04-23-2010, 08:56 PM
And we go reaching.

Welcome to the ST's.

kittenfantastico76
04-23-2010, 09:00 PM
I am fully, FULLY annoyed right now I really wanted the Steelers to pick up T. Cody from Alabama. GAUD he's an amazing defensive player or at least a great start to a wall to block. Point #2 I realllllly wanted Rolando McClain on our team as well... *sigh* Nothing against who we've got so far. The Ravens got my Cody!!!! (This is really what's hitting me right now, grrrrr).

By the way... I really, really want Tiffin too - yes I'm a Bama girl but that boy can KICK!

kittenfantastico76
04-23-2010, 09:01 PM

*tear* not anymore the darn Rat Birds got him!!!!

Godfather
04-23-2010, 09:57 PM
I am fully, FULLY annoyed right now I really wanted the Steelers to pick up T. Cody from Alabama.

I'm not sure he's going to do well in the pros. He's so fat his moobs grew their own moobs.

And if he got that fat with Nick Saban getting in his face every day, I can't imagine what's going to happen with a coach who's less of a hardass.

ETA: If you want a Bama player, I think Arenas would have looked great in black and gold.