PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey vs. Wilson

CABurghfan
04-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey guys/galc. One of my first posts here. Great board!

Anyway, don't know if it was discussed, but I'm curious what you think. How much did Ben's suspension play a part in picking Pouncey, or was it already decided?

I figure that with his suspension, we will have a very young (Dixon) or slightly immobile (Leftwich) behind center, so they really leaned towards the O-line choice. However, if Ben is not suspended, would they have let him keep doing what he does on the field, and shore up our secondary?

Happy with the pick of Pouncey, just wondering if Wilson or another CB was ever seriouasly on our radar. We needed both, and I'd have been happy either way.

SteelKnight
04-23-2010, 04:23 PM

Anyway, don't know if it was discussed, but I'm curious what you think. How much did Ben's suspension play a part in picking Pouncey, or was it already decided?

I figure that with his suspension, we will have a very young (Dixon) or slightly immobile (Leftwich) behind center, so they really leaned towards the O-line choice. However, if Ben is not suspended, would they have let him keep doing what he does on the field, and shore up our secondary?

Happy with the pick of Pouncey, just wondering if Wilson or another CB was ever seriouasly on our radar. We needed both, and I'd have been happy either way.

I wanted Wilson. I like Pouncey but I wish we could have traded back into the first round to get Wilson. We should have at least tried for Robinson. Boo. G-ay su-cks.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-23-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't think that Ben's suspension played much, if any, role in the Pouncey pick. Colbert and Tomlin claimed that during the combine they had a good idea that Maurkice was their guy.

I think Art Rooney II (I believe it was Art) making the statement about getting back to running the ball was a bigger factor.

SteelGhost
04-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Nice sig. xXTheSteelKingsXx LOL

LVSteelersfan
04-23-2010, 04:34 PM
I still think the two CBs we drafted last year will pan out. They weren't given much chance last year and they have a year under their belts. I doubt that Gay will be the starter come game 1.

AllD
04-23-2010, 04:37 PM
The litmus test with Pouncey will be how good he is compared to Nick Mangold, the last good center picked in the draft.

Men of Steel
04-23-2010, 04:44 PM

welcome to the board! :drink:

i was reading earlier on the steelers.com site... pouncey was the guy they INTENDED to draft all along... since way before the whole BB drama...

i think Coach T and K. Colbert realized to be balanced and successful on O, a solid O-Line is Key.. .specially for years to come. Kinda gets tiryng seeing big ben take so many sacks throughout the yrs.

and if we want to re-establish the run, picking OL very high is good.
:tt03:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
I think we sometimes confuse a good team pick with a good value pick. Noone can say that Pouncey wont be a good player, there is every indication that he will be. He could start very soon and for a long time which makes him a good team pick.

I think a person may be able to make an argument that Pouncy could have been taken later...which is simple a "draft position" (value) arguement...and has less to do with Pouncey's ability.

Merchant
04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
We don't know the whole situation so it's difficult to judge whether or not they should've made efforts to get Kyle Wilson. We drafted Lewis and Burnett last season and for all we know the coaching staff could have a lot of confidence in either one of those guys to have a breakout season. I watched Lewis' highlight tape last night and he looked goood at Oregon.

Psyychoward86
04-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Um no, we picked Pouncey because we love him and we dont have any good starting interior linemen other than Kemoeatu.