zulater
04-23-2010, 06:44 PM
:rofl: :toofunny:

LambertIsGod58
04-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Should have taken Gee

BlastFurnace
04-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Did you here the synopsis of his career in college: Great Junior year, production fell off his senior year

Did we draft another Bruce Davis?

Cmdurand21
04-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Why not take Golden Tate?
or Gee
or anyone else really.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Damn. Can we let the guys atleast get to Pittsburgh before we start calling them all busts???

BlastFurnace
04-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Why not take Golden Tate?
or Gee
or anyone else really.

Maybe Sweed is progressing

Preacher
04-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Sigh.

Once again. I am amazed at how all the experts post on a message board, on the amateurs actually work for the Steelers.

MJ5150
Too much talent at LB on the board to take a chance on this guy. Bummer.

I hope the kid proves me wrong.

-Mike

LambertIsGod58
Sigh.

Once again. I am amazed at how all the experts post on a message board, on the amateurs actually work for the Steelers.

So you believe that OLB was more of a glaring need than a corner?

CargoJon
04-23-2010, 06:59 PM
2 Pro Bowl OLB's on the team and we take.............................................. .......an OLB.

BlastFurnace
04-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Sigh.

It's just an emotional time Preach...just like the game thread.

We'll love these guys tomorrow.

Preacher
04-23-2010, 07:01 PM
It's just an emotional time Preach...just like the game thread.

We'll love these guys tomorrow.

:chuckle:

gotcha. :wink02:

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 07:02 PM
I really really hope one of our 2nd year corners step up or it could be another long year for our secondary.

The Duke

What it tells me is the steelers have faith in Lewis and Burnett

I am happy with the pick, silverback can't play forever

Dino 6 Rings
I have to say, I'm perplexed at the pickup. I mean, timmons can play outside right? we have a pretty solid LB core at this point and really need help on DL or CB.

But lets see what happens, maybe they panicked after Gerhart got picked by the Vikings?

RJC
Holy Freakin' Hell!!! This is as dumb a pick as I could ever imagine. Alozo Jackson/Bruce Davis all over again. It's as big a reach as Tyosn Alualu in the 1st to Jax. This kid shouldn't have sniffed the 2nd round. Not even close. His name shouldn't have been used in a sentence until the 4th, nevermind drafted!

solardave
04-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Sigh.

I'm just surprised they went outside LB. Can he play inside too? That would make more sense. Sean Lee was there.:noidea:

Edman
04-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Worlds isn't another Alonzo Jackson.

He's Bruce Davis part Deux. Undersized and underlooked for good reason. I've never heard his name called once over the past year. Who the hell is this dude?

We botched this one. A complete waste of a pick. He won't be on the team for much long. Once again Colbert's Post-Day 1 genius rears it's ugly head. Good going, Kevin.

Tone's Toes
04-23-2010, 07:08 PM
I bet most of the people here have never even seen this kid play. I also bet most people here didn't even know his name before they announced the pick. We have no depth at OLB. We have James Harrison (32 years old) and declining some, imo. We needed another OLB. I don't know if this was the right guy, but I'll give him a chance.

Preacher
04-23-2010, 07:08 PM

I believe that the coaches and FO people have a better idea than we do what they have both on the team, and what their needs are... as compared to the talent that is on the draft board.

Is a CB a bigger need than a LB? sure. However, what if, after watching tape and interviews, they know that the CB's that are on the board and have the talent will not match up with LeBeau's schemes? What if anyone close to the talent needed just didn't have the attitude that the Steelers are looking for?

The very fact that they have spent time with these players, watched tape... LOTS of it, etc. etc. means they have a LOT more information than we do, and means that any GUESS on our part of who would have been better is just that, a GUESS.

Steel_Bus_24
04-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Worlds isn't another Alonzo Jackson.

He's Bruce Davis part Deux. Undersized and underlooked for good reason. I've never heard his name called once over the past year. Who the hell is this dude?

We botched this one. A complete waste of a pick. He won't be on the team for much long. Once again Colbert's Post-Day 1 genius rears it's ugly head. Good going, Kevin.

yeah this reeks of Davis

Preacher
04-23-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm just surprised they went outside LB. Can he play inside too? That would make more sense. Sean Lee was there.:noidea:

Was I surprised? Yep. COMPLETELY. But I don't see you calling him a bust, or saying that they SHOULD HAVE picked _________.

That is my point.

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 07:11 PM
If ur talking depth yes. Woodley Harrison then who.

Corner we have Ike we still have Gay, and 2 young guys in Burnett and Lewis.

I wish we didn't STILL have Gay.

St33lersguy
04-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Hey Colbert, Rooneys, steelers, could have taken Cody, Lee, Ghee you idiots

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-23-2010, 07:15 PM
I believe that the coaches and FO people have a better idea than we do what they have both on the team, and what their needs are... as compared to the talent that is on the draft board.

Is a CB a bigger need than a LB? sure. However, what if, after watching tape and interviews, they know that the CB's that are on the board and have the talent will not match up with LeBeau's schemes? What if anyone close to the talent needed just didn't have the attitude that the Steelers are looking for?

The very fact that they have spent time with these players, watched tape... LOTS of it, etc. etc. means they have a LOT more information than we do, and means that any GUESS on our part of who would have been better is just that, a GUESS.

doesn't mean they are infallible or beyond scrutiny, though. i see your point, but they COULD be wrong here... you have to at least acknowledge that, and not be a blind loyalist (i don't mean you but anyone who believes that this team is always right, so please don't take it that way).

i just feel like others that this pick was too high for a kid who did NOT show production his senior year. numbers don't lie and he didn't make the kind of jump in production you would expect.

CargoJon
04-23-2010, 07:17 PM
I swear if I have to see William Gay get burnt one more time this year I'm going to punch a kitten. 2nd round is not the place to draft for depth.

Bluedust
04-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Man you guys must be miserable with how seriously you take a game.

Cmdurand21
04-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Sigh.

I agree with this to an extent, especially in the Pouncey case, but I think we can all agree that we have bigger needs then OLB..

Preacher
04-23-2010, 07:18 PM
doesn't mean they are infallible or beyond scrutiny, though. i see your point, but they COULD be wrong here... you have to at least acknowledge that, and not be a blind loyalist (i don't mean you but anyone who believes that this team is always right, so please don't take it that way).

i just feel like others that this pick was too high for a kid who did NOT show production his senior year. numbers don't lie and he didn't make the kind of jump in production you would expect.

They could be wrong, absolutely. However, the chances of them being wrong FOR THIS TEAM compared to the chances of you or me being wrong FOR THIS TEAM is much, much, less.

What happens all the time is that we say this, that, everything else and are wrong. When we end up being right that one or two times, we then jump on it and harp on how the Steelers FO was so stupid for not seeing what we saw. However, looking at it statistically, I'd take their picks over any of ours EVERY TIME.

CargoJon
04-23-2010, 07:19 PM
For the amount of time and money I spend on NFL football - yeah - I take it pretty seriously.

Who didn't want to punch O'Donnell square in the face after throwing 2 picks in the Super Bowl?

Preacher
04-23-2010, 07:20 PM
I agree with this to an extent, especially in the Pouncey case, but I think we can all agree that we have bigger needs then OLB..

Do we? After all, we have two other CB's that can step in.

OLB? Nope, I see no one. When it comes to attrition, I think the OLB was a much bigger need.

CargoJon
04-23-2010, 07:23 PM

OLB? Nope, I see no one. When it comes to attrition, I think the OLB was a much bigger need.

I consider William Gay to be worse in coverage than "open space in zone".

At this point I'd welcome seeing Ziggy lining up opposite Ocho Cinco then Gay.

kirklandrules
04-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Hey Colbert, Rooneys, steelers, could have taken Cody, Lee, Ghee you idiots

Yeah and most of the NFL passed on those same players ... twice. And we have to look beyond the players in Western PA ... Lee isn't the answer for this team (it's a big world out there fellas).

This pick seems like a stretch to me, but I'll wait until the guy fails out of the league before I call a bust. Especially since they seem to have their own board and don't worry about where other teams list their players or Mel K. Gotta respect the FO for sticking to their plan and not worrying about the outside noise or us fans to help make their decisions for them.

dcsteel5804
04-23-2010, 07:28 PM
I just watched some tape of this guy one youtube, not too impressive, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBzLNXDuTGA

Not good against the run/gap control

Pressured the QB, but didnt get there too much,

Let me know what you guys think.

WeegiesWarriors
04-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Romey had a hilarious take on "Mock Draft Guy" the other day. Half of you D-bags fit that perfectly

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 07:31 PM
From what I hear a big reason the Steelers made this pick is because of his special teams ability. I guess that's what we look for with our second round picks...not future studs or game breakers, but special teamers. Give me a break.

St33lersguy
04-23-2010, 07:31 PM
With the 52nd pick in the NFL draft the Pittsburgh select.. some reach noone has ever heard of who the steelers didn't need and who will be a bust.
Well fellas, there is always 2011

Ricco Suavez
04-23-2010, 07:38 PM

We may not agree on everything but on this I agree completely.

The Duke
04-23-2010, 07:39 PM

Preach, stop making so much sense! :chuckle:

From what I hear a big reason the Steelers made this pick is because of his special teams ability. I guess that's what we look for with our second round picks...not future studs or game breakers, but special teamers. Give me a break.

They said he'll help on special teams THIS YEAR. Beyond that depends on how he develops

Steelers fans, never change

Steel_Bus_24
04-23-2010, 07:39 PM
they seriously said STs .....

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Preach, stop making so much sense! :chuckle:

They said he'll help on special teams THIS YEAR. Beyond that depends on how he develops

Steelers fans, never change

Well he better be a frickin special teams hall of famer this year for this pick to be even a quarter decent, because I don't see him being on our roster longer than 2 years. The guy is a Bruce Davis clone.

JCPsteelers
04-23-2010, 07:45 PM
This team is drafting like we are coming off a 16-0 Super Bowl season.. WE have two PRO BOWL OLB and we draft an unproductive OLB reach in the 2nd round. Frickin joke..

I can't believe we passed on Golden Tate for this guy who probably will be out of the league in 3 years.. Heck, I would've taken the big back from Tenn over Bruce Davis Jr.

I am seriously for the first time questioning the wisdom of the colbert front office..

polamalubeast
04-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Well he better be a frickin special teams hall of famer this year for this pick to be even a quarter decent, because I don't see him being on our roster longer than 2 years. The guy is a Bruce Davis clone.

:toofunny:

JCPsteelers
04-23-2010, 07:51 PM

OMG, are us serious they said that?

Goodell should suspended Colbert for the rest of the draft for embarrassing the franchise.

theplatypus
04-23-2010, 07:55 PM

Some of these fine folks seem to be forgetting that linebackers are basically the heart and soul of the 3-4 defense.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Actually what was said was...

LB Coach Keith Butler: "We got two pretty good outside linebackers that are starters right now. We think this kid could come in and help us in terms of depth and help us on special teams as he learns the defense. As you know, since I’ve been here we’ve never had a rookie linebacker start in this system. We like to groom them for a couple years and let them get their feet underneath them. The guys that have been successful here have always been good on special teams for us the first couple years they’ve been here. And we think this guy will be in that mode."

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Keith-Butler-on-Jason-Worilds/c8950d26-fccd-4caf-9540-fdbfa7864d81

How dare they want him to learn how to play in our defense before they throw him on the field.

Fire Haley
04-23-2010, 07:59 PM
A project.

Welcome to the ST's.

JASON WORILDS
6 feet 1, 254 pounds

Projected draft selection: second round
Projected NFL position: outside linebacker or defensive end
Virginia Tech career: 25 starts, 132 tackles, 15 sacks, 34 tackles for loss

Jason Worilds stunned many in Blacksburg -- including his coaches -- by opting to leave Virginia Tech early to enter this year's NFL draft. But in the months since then, he has been impressive in workouts and could be the first Hokie off the draft board.

At 6 feet 1, Worilds was undersize even for a college defensive lineman, but he is a gifted athlete with pure strength and speed. He could fit better as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, joining a talented cast of prospective draftees in that position. The players that top the list include Sergio Kindle of Texas and Brandon Graham of Michigan.

Worilds had met with a handful of teams before the draft, including the Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills, who run a 3-4 defense. "I think things went well," Worilds said in a recent telephone interview. "Everything I could see was positive.

Worilds is a great pass rusher, with nimble footwork and strong techniques.

Worilds does not seem fit to play with his hand on the turf in the NFL. He has said making the switch did not bother him, and that he would player wherever he is needed. But whether Worilds, who posted good times in the 40 yard dash and various agility drills, can play in coverage against NFL talent is still a question.

For his part, Worilds, who had been working out in Blacksburg, said he would try to avoid watching the draft and would sequester himself with his family and close friends. He said they would eat together and he would "do push ups," in part to help kill the time, in part because he first started working out by simply doing push ups, so it would serve as a reminder of where he started.

The questions still surrounding Worilds center mostly on whether he will fit as a defensive end or an outside linebacker. As for what round in which he will be selected, he seems likely to go in the second or the third round.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/hokies-journal/2010/04/nfl_draft_virginia_techs_jason.html

theplatypus
04-23-2010, 07:59 PM
How dare they want him to learn how to play in our defense before they throw him on the field.

What a truly novel idea.

The Duke
04-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Actually what was said was...

LB Coach Keith Butler: "We got two pretty good outside linebackers that are starters right now. We think this kid could come in and help us in terms of depth and help us on special teams as he learns the defense. .

From what I hear a big reason the Steelers made this pick is because of his special teams ability.

selective reading my friend?

thank you steelkings!

86WARD
04-23-2010, 08:04 PM
I bet most of the people here have never even seen this kid play. I also bet most people here didn't even know his name before they announced the pick. We have no depth at OLB. We have James Harrison (32 years old) and declining some, imo. We needed another OLB. I don't know if this was the right guy, but I'll give him a chance.

This...

I would've rather see them take Spikes, but it seems like they went for speed taking Worilds. I like the thought behind the pick...the Steelers D runs through the OLB's...can never have enough of them on the roster...

CABurghfan
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
This...

I would've rather see them take Spikes, but it seems like they went for speed taking Worilds. I like the thought behind the pick...the Steelers D runs through the OLB's...can never have enough of them on the roster...

I was high onSpikes, till I saw that my grandmother could outrun him.....

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 08:16 PM
selective reading my friend?

thank you steelkings!

Nah...didn't even read that. I was listening to the guy on 93.7 The Fan who talked to the Steelers linebackers coach and the guy flat out said that Worilds special teams ability was a big reason for the pick.

GBMelBlount
04-23-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm surprised. That's all I'm gonna say....

CargoJon
04-23-2010, 08:19 PM
I was high onSpikes, till I saw that my grandmother could outrun him.....

My amputee grandmother with a wooden peg leg.

Ali Highsmith Jr.

43Hitman
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Nah...didn't even read that. I was listening to the guy on 93.7 The Fan who talked to the Steelers linebackers coach and the guy flat out said that Worilds special teams ability was a big reason for the pick.

So rather than do your own research on a guy, you would rather throw a temper tantrum and listen to a guy regurgitate the linebackers coach words to make it sound like we made a horrible pick? Okay. So now that you have read the full scoop on the guy, does your opinion change?

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 08:26 PM
So rather than do your own research on a guy, you would rather throw a temper tantrum and listen to a guy regurgitate the linebackers coach words to make it sound like we made a horrible pick? Okay. So now that you have read the full scoop on the guy, does your opinion change?

That has absolutely nothing to do with my feelings about the pick. I did my research and thought the pick was trash long before I heard that.

steel9guy
04-23-2010, 08:29 PM
James Harrison is getting older and this guy looks like a beast.

steel9guy
04-23-2010, 08:33 PM
and not to add this is a Lamarr Woodley type move.

JCPsteelers
04-23-2010, 08:35 PM
James Harrison is getting older and this guy looks like a beast.

we just signed harrison to the largest LB contract in history last year.. One year later he's now a bum and we have to find his replacement in the 2nd round? Doesn't make sense.

steel9guy
04-23-2010, 08:38 PM
we just signed harrison to the largest LB contract in history last year.. One year later he's now a bum and we have to find his replacement in the 2nd round? Doesn't make sense.

I never said he had to start now. I just said Harrison isn't the youngest and maybe 3 or 4 years down the road this guy might be able to take his place.

JCPsteelers
04-23-2010, 08:39 PM
I never said he had to start now. I just said Harrison isn't the youngest and maybe 3 or 4 years down the road this guy might be able to take his place.

3 to 4 years this guy will be on his 2nd contract possibly. I think its a reach but we'll see..

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 08:40 PM
3 to 4 years this guy will be on his 2nd contract possibly. I think its a reach but we'll see..

Or out of the league like Alonzo Jackson.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-23-2010, 08:47 PM
sounds like it's going to take the full 3-4 years before we'll know...

Burghfan58
04-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Steelers pick Nathanial Adibi VT linebacker 2004 draft, 5th round. Huge bust. Hope this isn't another one. :noidea:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-23-2010, 09:03 PM
by all appearances they would have taken him in the 2nd round this year...

Preacher
04-23-2010, 09:05 PM
sounds like it's going to take the full 3-4 years before we'll know...

Why? Seems like quite a few people already know that he's a bust.

And of course, if he doesn't start by his second year, he is a complete bust.

43Hitman
04-23-2010, 09:06 PM
First you said this.

Then this.

That has absolutely nothing to do with my feelings about the pick. I did my research and thought the pick was trash long before I heard that.

So what in your research did you find that you didn't like? I mean you say you did research, but in your posts you just say things like, "from what I hear he is only a ST player". Then you say, "Nah...didn't even read that. I was listening to the guy on 93.7 The Fan who talked to the Steelers linebackers coach and the guy flat out said that Worilds special teams ability was a big reason for the pick."

So which is it? Did you really do some research, or are you just pissed we didn't pick the guy you wanted and are just parroting what you heard some hack on the radio say?

steelcity1974
04-23-2010, 09:12 PM
We should cut him immediately for non-performance. I mean really...what has he done for the Steelers since being drafted in 2010???? :willy:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Why? Seems like quite a few people already know that he's a bust.

And of course, if he doesn't start by his second year, he is a complete bust.

It's not about bust...it's about value.

by all appearances, the steelers may have reached for two players that could have been taken later. the staff has admitted the kid is a special teams player. does that sound exciting for a SECOND round pick? no...

i don't think we'd be complaining if the kid's name was called on Saturday, but not tonight...

IMO, if you don't draft a "need" then you take the best available player... no one will convince me that worild was...

polamalubeast
04-23-2010, 09:14 PM
We should cut him immediately for non-performance. I mean really...what has he done for the Steelers since being drafted in 2010???? :willy:

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::rofl:

tube517
04-23-2010, 09:15 PM
If they are taking this kid for ST then he comes from the best ST in college football. I don't know if this kid is a second rounder but Key Fox might not be here next year. Also, Farrior is old. I still wish they had gotten G. Tate. Oh well.:noidea:

devilsdancefloor
04-23-2010, 09:16 PM

yes if woodley or deebo go down who plays outside? we drafted 2 CB last year give'em a chance i know they are not as great as FARVE but damn give'em a chance

Dino 6 Rings
04-23-2010, 09:22 PM
6 minutes of not being impressed that much at all

GBMelBlount
04-23-2010, 09:27 PM
It's not about bust...it's about value...

IMO, if you don't draft a "need" then you take the best available player... no one will convince me that worild was...

I agree. I did not see a strong need here. I guess we'll see......

tony hipchest
04-23-2010, 09:51 PM
So you believe that OLB was more of a glaring need than a corner?yes.

whats with all the ghee love. i bet burnett and lewis would run circles around him.

CargoJon
04-23-2010, 09:56 PM
yes.

whats with all the ghee love. i bet burnett and lewis would run circles around him.

If he got William Gay off the team I'd pay him out of my own pocket.....

Vincent
04-23-2010, 09:58 PM
So the Post article that Killer posted suggests he might be a Timmons sort. A Tomlin "R&H" (run and hit) kind of guy.

Still, a 2nd seems very high. Especially with the other needs and the talent on the board.

He had a 62 NFL rating.

Here's hoping.

tony hipchest
04-23-2010, 10:04 PM
So the Post article that Killer posted suggests he might be a Timmons sort. A Tomlin "R&H" (run and hit) kind of guy.

Still, a 2nd seems very high. Especially with the other needs and the talent on the board.

He had a 62 NFL rating.

Here's hoping.elvis dumervil was a 4th round pick. the success of woodley not only had brandon graham going top 15 but eagles givving up a ton to get him. :noidea:

im not gonna panic. people thought we were idiots for selecting woodley after we took an LB in the 1st round four years ago.

this is a typical steelers move.

Prok
04-23-2010, 10:05 PM

Looks like good awareness and play recognition but struggles to get off blocks on running plays.

Has decent pass rush moves as well.

XxKnightxX
04-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Take it as being a homer or whatever but I played against this guy in HS and I always wondered what happened with him. He was previously named Jason Adjepong I guess he changed it. Im happy about this pick, hes very smart and coachable and the guy can jump . Very athletic and instinctive. I liked the pic earlier but I really like it now.

tony hipchest
04-23-2010, 10:19 PM

i dont know... he seems to shed his blocker really well, holds the point of contact, and often needs a double team.

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 10:29 PM
First you said this.

Then this.

So what in your research did you find that you didn't like? I mean you say you did research, but in your posts you just say things like, "from what I hear he is only a ST player". Then you say, "Nah...didn't even read that. I was listening to the guy on 93.7 The Fan who talked to the Steelers linebackers coach and the guy flat out said that Worilds special teams ability was a big reason for the pick."

So which is it? Did you really do some research, or are you just pissed we didn't pick the guy you wanted and are just parroting what you heard some hack on the radio say?

What the hell are you talking about man? All I was pointing out is what I heard on the radio. I did my research long before I posted that and that was that Worilds is undersized, pretty much disappeared in his senior season, was taken 2 rounds too early, and will be a real project if he wants to play linebacker in the NFL. You don't take "projects" that are good on special teams in round 2...there were plenty of possible immediate impacts on the board still at the time.

BlastFurnace
04-23-2010, 10:31 PM
yes if woodley or deebo go down who plays outside? we drafted 2 CB last year give'em a chance i know they are not as great as FARVE but damn give'em a chance

While I agree with your logic, we both know from the history of this team, they don't believe that rookie OLB's are not ready to play because allegedly the defense is too complicated. As a matter of fact, OLB's, other than Woodley, barely see the field. If Harrison or Woodley get hurt, it won't be Worilds playing.

tony hipchest
04-23-2010, 10:33 PM
What the hell are you talking about man? All I was pointing out is what I heard on the radio. I did my research long before I posted that and that was that Worilds is undersized, pretty much disappeared in his senior season, was taken 2 rounds too early, and will be a real project if he wants to play linebacker in the NFL. You don't take "projects" that are good on special teams in round 2...there were plenty of possible immediate impacts on the board still at the time.the steelers way.

you dont get it, do you?

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 10:34 PM
the steelers way.

you dont get it, do you?

Yes, it is the Steelers way to completely bomb on almost every pick other than a 1st.

cloppbeast
04-23-2010, 10:47 PM

Apparently you missed every game last season. Judging by our kickoff coverage last year, I don't think this would is such a bad pick for the immediate success of the Steelers. Further, Baby-Mamma Beater Harrison is no spring chicken. In a few years, this guy will probably be the starter.

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Apparently you missed every game last season. Judging by our kickoff coverage last year, I don't think this would is such a bad pick for the immediate success of the Steelers. Further, Baby-Mamma Beater Harrison is no spring chicken. In a few years, this guy will probably be the starter.

Would be absolutely fine if he came in and contributed in a big way on Special Teams if he was a 4th rounder, or hell even a 3rd. But in the 2nd when there were big time players out there like Golden Tate for example? I just don't like the sound of special teams and 2nd rounder...when that is possibly the ONLY thing we could see out of this kid for the next couple years with Woodley and Harrison still around.

tony hipchest
04-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Yes, it is the Steelers way to completely bomb on almost every pick other than a 1st.you think you know the steelers way?

you called worilds undersized. real quick... what is his height and weight?

what was cowhers philosophy on drafting OLB's (a strategy we still use today)?

why is the steelers often called LBU?

if you can answer these, not only will you prove yourself wrong, but you will also show you know a teeny tiny bit about "the steelers way".

cloppbeast
04-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Would be absolutely fine if he came in and contributed in a big way on Special Teams if he was a 4th rounder, or hell even a 3rd. But in the 2nd when there were big time players out there like Golden Tate for example? I just don't like the sound of special teams and 2nd rounder...when that is possibly the ONLY thing we could see out of this kid for the next couple years with Woodley and Harrison still around.

I'm pretty sure they drafted this guy to succeed Harrison. They are just anticipating a future need. Understanding it takes 2-3 years to groom a LB in this defense, especially a guy that is raw, (Woodley is an exception) I think this pick shows excellent foresight. I would trust the Steelers scouting to my brief observation, so I won't dare suggest he probably won't eventually be a good player. I will say, to draft a guy to sit on the bench for a couple years while he learns the position, it is nice to get some production out of him on special teams. Not like Tebow, who will only hold a clipboard.

You can make a legitimate argument, though, that this guy would have still been available with their 3rd pick. At a minimum, iff they really wanted this guy, they could have made sure by trading up in the 3rd round instead of using those extra picks in the 4th and 5th on guys who won't even make the team.

Havik
04-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Huge reach, the only reason why Jason Worlids made it to the 2nd round is because he is a workout warrior. Worlids play was mediocre last year but he ran a 4.47 at his pro day and was impressive at the combine. The Steelers basically drafted a 40 time. It's nowhere near as bad as taking Emmanuel Sanders in the 3rd round, but that's not saying much.

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm pretty sure they drafted this guy to succeed Harrison. They are just anticipating a future need. Understanding it takes 2-3 years to groom a LB in this defense, especially a guy that is raw, (Woodley is an exception) I think this pick shows excellent foresight. I would trust the Steelers scouting to my brief observation, so I won't dare suggest he probably won't eventually be a good player. I will say, to draft a guy to sit on the bench for a couple years while he learns the position, it is nice to get some production out of him on special teams. Not like Tebow, who will only hold a clipboard.

You can make a legitimate argument, though, that this guy would have still been available with their 3rd pick. At a minimum, iff they really wanted this guy, they could have made sure by trading up in the 3rd round instead of using those extra picks in the 4th and 5th on guys who won't even make the team.

And if we were a 14-2 SB team with no real holes...I could see your point on grooming this kid for 2-3 years. But we are in no position to waste a 2nd round pick on a guy who will only play special teams for ATLEAST the next 2 years. Our secondary STINKS, our offensive line isn't the hottest, and our WR's took a big hit with our biggest playmaker Holmes gone. Golden Tate should of been the pick and I guarantee they could have gotten Worilds in the 3rd.

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Hell Big Snack is 32 even older than Harrison...if they were gonna groom someone I wish it would of atleast been Terrence Cody.

cloppbeast
04-23-2010, 11:28 PM
And if we were a 14-2 SB team with no real holes...I could see your point on grooming this kid for 2-3 years. But we are in no position to waste a 2nd round pick on a guy who will only play special teams for ATLEAST the next 2 years. Our secondary STINKS, our offensive line isn't the hottest, and our WR's took a big hit with our biggest playmaker Holmes gone. Golden Tate should of been the pick and I guarantee they could have gotten Worilds in the 3rd.

I buy the argument about picking up Worilds in the 3rd. But, I don't buy the argument we should have just picked a CB just because.... What if none of the CBs were any good? What if we're buying Lewis and Burnett as real options for the future? What if there's a CB later that we really like we take take in the 5th or 6th? You never know, on their board they may have had 1) Worlids and 2) Sanders. If that's the case, then they would have made the rational choice to pick Worlids in the 2nd, being he's the most likely to be drafted before the third.

I'm not saying I agree, I'm just trying to bring some objectivity to this debate. First, I'm a glass half full kind of guy. Second, I like to think our FO knows what their doing, perhaps naively; perhaps not, after all, the Steelers have won 2 SBs this decade. I certainly trust their decisions more than my own. This doesn't mean they always make the correct decision, but certainly more often than I would.

The Duke
04-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Hell Big Snack is 32 even older than Harrison...if they were gonna groom someone I wish it would of atleast been Terrence Cody.

They don't like cody, so why draft him

They like worilds, so they draft him

Deal with it!

cloppbeast
04-23-2010, 11:32 PM

Yeah, but the learning curve for DT isn't quite as steep. Secondly, Cody is a fat slob.

Honestly, though, I agree with your reasoning. I wouldn't have been disappointed if we would have taken the DT from Tennessee with our first pick - the guy that went to Arizona (they got a steal with him). Were there any good DTs in the first of second?

tony hipchest
04-23-2010, 11:36 PM

relax. you need a tractor to groom that dude. i remember last year people were jealous when the bengals got smith with their pick at #6.

The Duke
04-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Yeah, but the learning curve for DT isn't quite as steep. Secondly, Cody is a fat slob.

Honestly, though, I agree with your reasoning. I wouldn't have been disappointed if we would have taken the DT from Tennessee with our first pick - the guy that went to Arizona (they got a steal with him). Were there any good DTs in the first of second?

torrel troupe (sp?)

I'm hoping a trade to get cam thomas in the early 4th though

I like him better than troupe and the giant meatball

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 11:39 PM

And Big Snack isn't a fat slob? I think Cody is a future pro bowler if he takes his conditioning seriously and works hard.

Yeah I would of been fine with Dan Williams in the first too. He's one of the 3 I would of definitely liked them to of taken in the first round. Bryan Buluga, Kyle Wilson, and Dan Williams. I'm not bashing the Pouncey pick...I like him and think he could be good, just not who I wanted.

SteelPride1207
04-23-2010, 11:44 PM

Damn Ravens....!!!

Receivers are a HELL OF A LOT easier to pick up than quality NTs. How we picked Emmanuel Sanders from Southern Methodist...instead of Casey Hampton's future replacement in Terrance Cody of Alabama makes no sense (and I even like Sanders).

We need BIG TIME college players from BIG TIME programs. Was there a bigger program last year than Alabama...and the Alabama defense...?! And to think...Alabama''s starting NT was available at our pick. Good grief....!!!!!!

fansince'76
04-23-2010, 11:49 PM

Cody will be lucky if he hasn't eaten himself out of the league by the time his rookie contract is up.

JSH6487
04-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Damn Ravens....!!!

Receivers are a HELL OF A LOT easier to pick up than quality NTs. How we picked Emmanuel Sanders from Southern Methodist...instead of Casey Hampton's future replacement in Terrance Cody of Alabama makes no sense (and I even like Sanders).

We need BIG TIME college players from BIG TIME programs. Was there a bigger program last year than Alabama...and the Alabama defense...?! And to think...Alabama''s starting NT was available at our pick. Good grief....!!!!!!

Well you've got the rounds mixed up...we picked Worilds over Cody...but still, I agree 100%.

cloppbeast
04-23-2010, 11:52 PM
And Big Snack isn't a fat slob? I think Cody is a future pro bowler if he takes his conditioning seriously and works hard.

That's a big if. If he was a hard worker, he wouldn't have gotten so obese in the first place. Hampton, on the other hand, is fat, but he isn't a fat slob. At least the Big Snack isn't an ignoramus. I'm glad Cody went to Baltimore because he's a guy I'll love to hate. He's a douche. I can't wait to see Pauncy dominate him for years to come.

Yeah I would of been fine with Dan Williams in the first too. He's one of the 3 I would of definitely liked them to of taken in the first round. Bryan Buluga, Kyle Wilson, and Dan Williams. I'm not bashing the Pouncey pick...I like him and think he could be good, just not who I wanted.

I was hoping they would pick Wilson at the time, but in hindsight I'm glad they didn't. He really doesn't fit our scheme. Pauncey was probably the best pick, he seems like a good guy too. Bulaga would have been good, too. Would've loved the Big 10 pick.

cloppbeast
04-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Receivers are a HELL OF A LOT easier to pick up than quality NTs.

No way. WRs bust about as much as QBs. Why do you think the Ratbirds have been looking for a quality WR in the draft for like 10 years now?

BlastFurnace
04-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Here's a quote from the Steelers Linebacker Coach (Not exactly what we are needing this year):

Worilds, who will back up James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, clearly is a pick for the future. "It's going to be hard to get on the field for him this next year," Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler said. "[Harrison and Woodley] are pretty extraordinary. They don't like coming off the field and I don't like taking them off the field. [Worilds] is going to have to earn his keep on special teams for a couple of years."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10114/1053084-66.stm#ixzz0lzVfqDLS

JSH6487
04-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Here's a quote from the Steelers Linebacker Coach (Not exactly what we are needing this year):

Worilds, who will back up James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, clearly is a pick for the future. "It's going to be hard to get on the field for him this next year," Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler said. "[Harrison and Woodley] are pretty extraordinary. They don't like coming off the field and I don't like taking them off the field. [Worilds] is going to have to earn his keep on special teams for a couple of years."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10114/1053084-66.stm#ixzz0lzVfqDLS

I agree that this is not even close to what we needed with this 2nd round pick. We're not a team without holes where we can afford to waste a 2nd rounder on a guy who won't see the field on defense for 3 years.

JCPsteelers
04-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Damn Ravens....!!!

Mount Cody can barely play 25 plays a game at Bama.. I wouldn't exactly call him a future Hampton replacement..

I'm not concerned about passing on Mount Cody..

BlastFurnace
04-24-2010, 12:13 AM
I agree that this is not even close to what we needed with this 2nd round pick. We're not a team without holes where we can afford to waste a 2nd rounder on a guy who won't see the field on defense for 3 years.

I bet he will be on the Inactive List for most of the season.

tony hipchest
04-24-2010, 12:14 AM

so how is he too small?

do you understand the steelers way?

JSH6487
04-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Mount Cody can barely play 25 plays a game at Bama.. I wouldn't exactly call him a future Hampton replacement..

I'm not concerned about passing on Mount Cody..

I'm a lot more concerned about passing on Golden Tate than Cody...my point was that if we were just going to groom our 2nd round pick and not use him, I would of much rather picked Cody or Sean Lee.

JSH6487
04-24-2010, 12:17 AM
so how is he too small?

do you understand the steelers way?

Yes I understand the Steelers have done well with smaller sized LB's in the past, including one who was the NFL defensive MVP for us...but this pick wasn't even close to what we needed right now even if Worilds does pan out to down the road. Would you atleast agree with that?

tony hipchest
04-24-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm a lot more concerned about passing on Golden Tate than Cody...my point was that if we were just going to groom our 2nd round pick and not use him, I would of much rather picked Cody or Sean Lee.why? so we could groom them and not use them just the same?

are you not familiar with the steelers way?

why is our #2 pick "too small"?

JSH6487
04-24-2010, 12:20 AM
why? so we could groom them and not use them just the same?

Stop being a smart ass...I flat out just don't think the kid is going to be that good. Period. Like I said, if we were taking someone to groom (which I don't agree with) than I think Cody and Lee will be much better players down the road than Worilds. He just reminds me of a Bruce Davis clone.

tony hipchest
04-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Yes I understand the Steelers have done well with smaller sized LB's in the past, past, present, and future.

:doh: you have no understanding whatsoever.

the likes of porter, woodley, worilds are HUGE for LB's!

they are college DE's who were considered too small to be a defensive end.

BlastFurnace
04-24-2010, 12:22 AM
why? so we could groom them and not use them just the same?

In all fairness Tony....I think that the Steeler Way has been a little inconsistent lately. I think the Steeler brass likes to talk about it, but I don't know if they entirely know what it means either.

tony hipchest
04-24-2010, 12:25 AM
He just reminds me of a Bruce Davis clone.why? because thats the last olb we have selected in the draft. are you gun shy and think we should never take one again, unless all the mock drafts say we should take sergio kindle in the early 1st round?

ricksteelers55
04-24-2010, 12:29 AM
I really liked the Pouncey pick.

Im not a fan of the Worilds and Sanders picks

the good news is I'm not Kevin Colbert so he knows what he's doing better than me

JSH6487
04-24-2010, 12:30 AM
past, present, and future.

:doh: you have no understanding whatsoever.

the likes of porter, woodley, worilds are HUGE for LB's!

they are college DE's who were considered too small to be a defensive end.

Yeah they might be too small to play DE, but I wouldn't call them HUGE LB's by any means. Woodley is a big boy, but the others we have now and in the past are right around the avg for a linebacker in the league.

tony hipchest
04-24-2010, 12:31 AM
In all fairness Tony....I think that the Steeler Way has been a little inconsistent lately. I think the Steeler brass likes to talk about it, but I don't know if they entirely know what it means either.in not so broad of tems, i am more refering to developing LB's and being refered to LBU (kinda like penn state is).

zo jackson was almost 10 years ago. and we missed on davis. check out all the other lb's we have developed and turned out over the years.

from greg lloyd on we have been pretty solid. you can almost hang your hat on this pick being the same. :hatsoff:

lb's are key in lebeaus 3-4. i guess ol dick is pissed with this pick too. perhaps he wanted a 350 lb blob or twiggy DB. :noidea:

JSH6487
04-24-2010, 12:33 AM
in not so broad of tems, i am more refering to developing LB's and being refered to LBU (kinda like penn state is).

zo jackson was almost 10 years ago. and we missed on davis. check out all the other lb's we have developed and turned out over the years.

from greg lloyd on we have been pretty solid. you can almost hang your hat on this pick being the same. :hatsoff:

lb's are key in lebeaus 3-4. i guess ol dick is pissed with this pick too. perhaps he wanted a 350 lb blob or twiggy DB. :noidea:

How about picking someone in the 2nd round that would fill some of our actual holes instead of taking someone that might not even play for 3 years? Can you understand why people are pissed with this pick...or are you one of the types with your Steelers blinders on and agree with every move they make.

fansince'76
04-24-2010, 12:37 AM
How about picking someone in the 2nd round that would fill some of our actual holes instead of taking someone that might not even play for 3 years? Can you understand why people are pissed with this pick...or are you one of the types with your Steelers blinders on and agree with every move they make.

How many rookies start for us right out of the gate?

tony hipchest
04-24-2010, 12:38 AM
How about picking someone in the 2nd round that would fill some of our actual holes instead of taking someone that might not even play for 3 years? Can you understand why people are pissed with this pick...or are you one of the types with your Steelers blinders on and agree with every move they make.what i understand is you being a crybaby and starting a dumb thread with this title just because you didnt get what you want.

our starting spots are filled and our "actual holes" are in the back up/ST positions. we are addressing that.

mays wont start at safety. cody will not start at NY (c. hoke is 10X better). tate will not start at wr.

get over it.

if i had steelers blinders on i woulda started a dumb thread titled The Next Lamarr WOodley

JSH6487
04-24-2010, 12:45 AM
what i understand is you being a crybaby and starting a dumb thread with this title just because you didnt get what you want.

our starting spots are filled and our "actual holes" are in the back up/ST positions. we are addressing that.

mays wont start at safety. cody will not start at NY (c. hoke is 10X better). tate will not start at wr.

get over it.

Whatever dude...there are PLENTY of people who agree with me, probably more than who don't. There were much better picks on the board and you know it. And if they really wanted the guy I find it very hard to believe they couldn't of gotten him in the 3rd. Tate could of stepped right in and contributed his rookie year like Wallace did. Worilds won't see the field for 3 years.

I guess with 27,000 posts worth of kissing the Steelers ass with every move they make, y stop now though?

JCPsteelers
04-24-2010, 12:48 AM

Our starting spots are filled and we are a 9-7 football team? Is that really a good thing?

WH
04-24-2010, 12:51 AM
worse than this guy?

nNJdJOEtlyY

JSH6487
04-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Our starting spots are filled and we are a 9-7 football team? Is that really a good thing?

Yeah our starting spots are filled with guys like William Gay, Antwaan Randel El (might as well consider the #3 receiver a starter as much as we use it), and some of the scrubs on our O-line. But hey we got an OLB we won't use for 3 years...hooray.

tony hipchest
04-24-2010, 12:59 AM
I guess with 27,000 posts worth of kissing the Steelers ass with every move they make, y stop now though?

i guess with 200 posts worth of being a newb, you might as well jump ship and go bandwagon with the seahawks. your tears will fit in nicely in cloudy seattle w/ that fanbase. :wave:

you are the "alonzo jackson" of new posters to this board.

JSH6487
04-24-2010, 01:06 AM
No use arguing with people like you. You've got your head so far up Colbert and the Rooney's ass they could of taken Bill Stull in the 1st round to replace Ben and you'd be fine with it. Hate it when people get so damn defensive like their favorite team isn't allowed to be criticized, and by another fan at that. Not like I'm a Ravens fan that came on here to talk shit. I'm allowed to disagree with a pick, get over it.

Preacher
04-24-2010, 01:26 AM
It's not about bust...it's about value.

by all appearances, the steelers may have reached for two players that could have been taken later. the staff has admitted the kid is a special teams player. does that sound exciting for a SECOND round pick? no...

i don't think we'd be complaining if the kid's name was called on Saturday, but not tonight...

This is the kind of stuff I find absolutely HILARIOUS.

"may have reached?" So we may have, we may NOT have, and since no one really knows, its okay to yell and scream about it.

Just like people popping up with Denver "Reaching" for Tebow. Then, as it turns out, its not a reach at all, because the BIlls were trying to trade back into the first round to get him.

No one knows what the next team is really going to do. No one knows if they are going to trade with someone. How do you know if we wait until the third round, someone doesn't jump ahead of us and take him? You don't. Plain and simple.

The Steelers staff thing that this guy is worth the money at the position in the round he was drafted in. They don't make snap decisions. Hence, in no way was this a "reach". If they had to "reach", they would have gone for someone else.

Preacher
04-24-2010, 01:27 AM
No use arguing with people like you. You've got your head so far up Colbert and the Rooney's ass they could of taken Bill Stull in the 1st round to replace Ben and you'd be fine with it. Hate it when people get so damn defensive like their favorite team isn't allowed to be criticized, and by another fan at that. Not like I'm a Ravens fan that came on here to talk shit. I'm allowed to disagree with a pick, get over it.

Disagreement is one thing. Proclaiming absolutes from the peanut gallery is a completely different story.

Preacher
04-24-2010, 01:31 AM
In all fairness Tony....I think that the Steeler Way has been a little inconsistent lately. I think the Steeler brass likes to talk about it, but I don't know if they entirely know what it means either.

I don't know BF. I would consider the Holmes trade and "We're trading Ben Fright Show" pretty much right down the line.

Sadly, even our season last season was the Steelers way. 2 playoff seasons, 1 non, 2 playoff season, 1 non. 2 playoff season, 1 non.

Guess good AND bad, its the Steelers way. :chuckle:

WH
04-24-2010, 02:07 AM
Not like I'm a Ravens fan that came on here to talk shit. I'm allowed to disagree with a pick, get over it.

And people are allowed to disagree with you disagreeing with the pick. It's how the internets work.

You should all have a big group hug.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-24-2010, 02:22 AM
This is the kind of stuff I find absolutely HILARIOUS.

"may have reached?" So we may have, we may NOT have, and since no one really knows, its okay to yell and scream about it.

Just like people popping up with Denver "Reaching" for Tebow. Then, as it turns out, its not a reach at all, because the BIlls were trying to trade back into the first round to get him.

No one knows what the next team is really going to do. No one knows if they are going to trade with someone. How do you know if we wait until the third round, someone doesn't jump ahead of us and take him? You don't. Plain and simple.

The Steelers staff thing that this guy is worth the money at the position in the round he was drafted in. They don't make snap decisions. Hence, in no way was this a "reach". If they had to "reach", they would have gone for someone else.

so i see that your opinions are ALWAYS correct and beyond scrutiny, huh? you're amazing... bet you're a real enjoyment to listen to on sundays...

"thus saith the preacher..."

sorry man, but i'm through with you. you've got it out for me because of your disdain for ben, which makes your opinions correct in every other area as well.

amen...pass the plate! James 4:6 - you might try it! :bowdown:

Pi Kapp Steeler
04-24-2010, 02:35 AM
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah,Kam Chancellor
, and Myron Rolle are still out there.

CBs im still ok on giving Mundy and Lewis a chance for redemption.
BUT AS FOR SAFETYSS, we need depth badddd. And these guys are still on the board so there still is hope!

Plus Corey Wooten is still out there we really need depth in DE .

Preacher
04-24-2010, 04:24 AM
so i see that your opinions are ALWAYS correct and beyond scrutiny, huh? you're amazing... bet you're a real enjoyment to listen to on sundays...

"thus saith the preacher..."

sorry man, but i'm through with you. you've got it out for me because of your disdain for ben, which makes your opinions correct in every other area as well.

amen...pass the plate! James 4:6 - you might try it! :bowdown:
Um.

First, I have no clue what you mean by "your disdain for Ben." and "you've got it out for me." I don't go tracking people down from one thread to another and carrying over issues. That's trolling. I refuse to do it.

Second. My opinion is never beyond scrutiny. After all, I am married. Usually I just have to ask permission to have one. May I suggest you look back and see posts from FS, X-term, HTG, Tony, etc. etc. who have been here for a long time, and have repeatedly scrutinized and often disagreed with me.

Third, If you don't like the fact that we disagree. That's fine. If you don't like the fact that I think it is very funny that so many people think that they know the ins and outs of football better than the Rooneys-well, there is nothing I can do about that.

However, I did not attack you the person and find your personal attack on me well, unnecessary and juvenile. If you disagree with my opinion. Tell me why.

My argument is: Unless we have put in the time and effort to understand all the ramifications of these picks from the inside... as a coach or FO does, NONE OF US, including ME, has any clue as to what the real needs are in conjunction with the ability to fill them against other needs. For that reason, regardless of how much knowledge we have of the game, or how much we have watched a few players, I think it is quite pompous for armchair FO workers to call immediately grade out "bad picks," "reaches" "he would have been available in ______ round", etc. etc. I placed as an example, Tebow, who was actually being pursued by at least two teams in the low first round. Yet, picking him was a "reach". The fact of the matter is, by definition, if he wouldn't have been there by your next pick, he isn't much of a reach.

In short, if you (general) haven't done it at the level of NFL FO or Coach, you really have no clue.

Now, if you disagree. Argue it. If you agree, fine.

But lay off the victim mentality and personal attacks. Please.

And if you thought I was attacking you, I do apologize. I did mean for it to be a general you in my last post, and not specifically YOU.