PDA

View Full Version : Jason Worilds is a Beast....

alfa1277
04-23-2010, 11:13 PM
I've watched every game this kid has played. He is no Alonzo Jackson. He runs the 40 in the 4.5 range. He's fast, athletic and a hard worker. Zo was stiff as a board. Worilds is an athlete. He's skipping his Senior season which is a major disappointment, because it would have been his coming out party. He had shoulder surgery in Jan of 2009, which forced him to slow down his weight training. A full year removed from the surgery meant that he would have been at full strength for his senior campaign.

Worilds had solid but unspectacular numbers in 2009 in large part because he was double teamed or chipped on a fairly consistent basis. Virginia Tech typically uses an undersized, speed rusher at one DE and a bigger more physical prototypical DE on the opposite side. In 2009 VT had a lack of depth at DE and utlized an undersized end opposite Worilds. Additionally Worilds bookend lacked great pass rushing skills, so teams could focus on Worilds with very little consequence. Still, Worilds had a very good season. The highlight film from YouTube is from only a few of his games and does not demonstrate Worild's true potential.

Worilds played every down with a hand on the ground. However, he runs in space well and has great closing speed. I would compare him physically to Joey Porter. He is not suited for DE in the NFL because of his lack of size. However his ability to run in space and his tremendous athleticism should help himto excel at OLB. Worilds also played special teams at VT and I would expect him to be an impact player on special teams while he's learning OLB in the Steeler's system. Hope this helps.

Prok
04-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for posting that. It helped me.

:tt:

devilsdancefloor
04-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the info!

PhantomJB93
04-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Still not a better pick then Tate or Lee

tube517
04-23-2010, 11:31 PM
They probably could have gotten him in the 3rd rd and picked G. Tate in the 2nd...... :banging:

tony hipchest
04-24-2010, 12:07 AM
great thread. i havent really watched him but it is exactly what i saw in the highlight film. it seemed every play was designed to either go against him or double team him. w/o following VT its pretty obvious he was the one defender other teams had to gameplan against.

he seems to be the prototypical OLB the steelers have been churning out for years. we used to be able to routinely snag these guys out of the th and 5th rounds, but with almost half the league playing some version of a 3-4 we gotta aim for these guys a bit higher (like we did with woodley, who was also "too small").

cowher liked to give these guys atleast a year, if not 2, to sit, and learn the position change.

worilds looked solid in technique and not caught out of position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They probably could have gotten him in the 3rd rd and picked G. Tate in the 2nd...... this is possible but probably not worth the gamble.

PhantomJB93
04-24-2010, 12:17 AM
this is possible but probably not worth the gamble.

Passing Golden Tate, Sean Lee, and Terrence Cody is not worth the gamble for Worilds.

MongoSteeler
04-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Yeah, they keep drafting all these busts and losers. The Steelers will never amount to anything if they keep that up!

Galax Steeler
04-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Jason will be ok the kid knows how to play ball everyone has judged him and he hasn't even played a down in the nfl. Give him a chance.

Steeldude
04-24-2010, 05:19 AM
Passing Golden Tate, Sean Lee, and Terrence Cody is not worth the gamble for Worilds.

i wouldn't pick cody above the 6th round. gelationous blobs are a dime-a-dozen. :hatsoff:

kirklandrules
04-24-2010, 06:34 AM

Cody is one doughnut away from a massive heart attack. Lee has bad knees and we have decent depth at ILB (I'd take Foote and Fox over Lee any day). Tate is an interesting thought here. But let me ask this: Who would you be more concerned about losing to injury, Ward or Harrison? I feel there are serviceable solutions to limp by without Ward, especially with our 3rd round selection. If Harrison goes down I really don't have any faith in the backups at OLB. So, I'm inclined to agree with our choice of selection in round 2.

Rick5895
04-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Still not a better pick then Tate or Lee

We do not need ILB's, Lee can only play ILB. I beleive we got a better player than Tate with the pick of Sanders. I for one have never bought into the Notre Dame hype machine.

AllD
04-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Lee has bad knees which is why the Steelers passed on him.

theplatypus
04-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Lee has bad knees which is why the Steelers passed on him.

Exactly