PDA

View Full Version : WHY did we take Emmanuel Sanders?

PhantomJB93
04-24-2010, 12:11 AM
If we were really so high on Worilds we probably could have had him in the 3rd. We could have had Golden Tate at 52. Sanders has no redeeming qualities, he's not fast, he's not tall, he's basically a far less talented, less physical version of Golden Tate. I am ASHAMED of our front office. The Worilds pick was bad enough with Tate, Sean Lee, Mt Cody AND Gerhart on the board but then going out and picking a WR in the 3rd just made me want to punch our FO in the face.

Either the Rooneys have gone senile or hired the Pirates' front office to make their decision for them.

The Duke
04-24-2010, 12:13 AM
to piss you off :smile:

Shoes
04-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Do a little research..........

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Scottie-Montgomery-on-Emmanuel-Sanders/91903bb5-eb76-4750-871d-0ff8c9e371bf

tony hipchest
04-24-2010, 12:21 AM
:shout:- PANIC!!!

*flush*

PhantomJB93
04-24-2010, 12:34 AM
:shout:- PANIC!!!

*flush*

Yes, it is the time to panic. We blew this draft. All our useful picks our gone and 2/3 of them we wasted...and even then the 1 good one could have been utilized better. You can't rely on "finding gems later" yes it happens but making picks like the Steelers did today is just embarrassing with such talent on the board. The bottom line is Worilds was a waste of a second pick, even if he pans out well it was NOT a smart decision and would have almost definitely been there in the 3rd for us. Sanders is a waste of a pick in the 3rd because of we're gonna take a not-tall receiver early we could have just taken Golden Tate, who is all-around better, at 52 which would have been one of the steals of the draft, not to mention he is the closest thing we will ever see to Hines again...

Anybody who is NOT embarrassed or upset with this draft has insane blind faith in the Steelers. They have been reliable in the past but today's decisions were just flat-out stupid, there's a fine line between "reaching a bit for a prospect you like" and blowing picks like our FO did today.

CaliStillersFan
04-24-2010, 12:39 AM
If you think you know more than Colbert , Tomlin and the rest of the scouting staff, I suggest you submit a resume.

All 3 picks have been solid picks. Yes we all wanted to see them take a CB higher but if you watched the draft you would know how many of the top talented CB's went off the board in the first 2 rounds. They got 7 picks left so they will probably pick up 2 tomorrow.

The only thing I was bummed about so far was that Mount Cody went to Baltimore. I thought that he would have been a good replacement for Hampton but they needed to bring in a quality OLB to take Harrisons spot within the next 2 seasons - which is usually how long it takes to teach a LB our defense.

Yes we have plenty of WR's on our roster but lets look at them:

Ward - is old. I love him but he cant play forever
Randle El - wasn't that great of a WR in his prime let alone 5 years later
Battle - couldn't win a starting job in San Fran
Sweed - no explanation needed
Wallace - only solid WR that is young

They needed a playmaker under the age of 30, so now they got one. He will challenge Randle El for the slot this season.

cloppbeast
04-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Yes, it is the time to panic. We blew this draft. All our useful picks our gone and 2/3 of them we wasted...and even then the 1 good one could have been utilized better. You can't rely on "finding gems later" yes it happens but making picks like the Steelers did today is just embarrassing with such talent on the board. The bottom line is Worilds was a waste of a second pick, even if he pans out well it was NOT a smart decision and would have almost definitely been there in the 3rd for us. Sanders is a waste of a pick in the 3rd because of we're gonna take a not-tall receiver early we could have just taken Golden Tate, who is all-around better, at 52 which would have been one of the steals of the draft, not to mention he is the closest thing we will ever see to Hines again...

Anybody who is NOT embarrassed or upset with this draft has insane blind faith in the Steelers. They have been reliable in the past but today's decisions were just flat-out stupid, there's a fine line between "reaching a bit for a prospect you like" and blowing picks like our FO did today.

I'd have to say, based on the fact not one of these players have suited up for as much as a preseason game, this post is a tad premature.

PhantomJB93
04-24-2010, 12:42 AM
I didnt have a problem with drafting a replacement receiver but my problem is if we're picking a receiver this early WHY THE HELL did we pass on Golden Tate for Worilds? We took Worilds and then Sanders when we most likely could have had Tate and then Worilds...

The Duke
04-24-2010, 12:47 AM
I didnt have a problem with drafting a replacement receiver but my problem is if we're picking a receiver this early WHY THE HELL did we pass on Golden Tate for Worilds? We took Worilds and then Sanders when we most likely could have had Tate and then Worilds...

Maybe they liked sanders better than Tate and didn't want to risk not getting worilds

is it that hard to understand?

cloppbeast
04-24-2010, 01:12 AM
The dude is an orangutan. He might be short, but he's got long arms. He's fast, quick, and shifty. Of the WRs, he was the third fastest in the draft, second fastest in the cone drill, third fastest in the shuttle, and believe it or not, he had the 5th highest vertical. Needless to say, he's a heck of an athlete. I know these measurements don't prove he'll be a great player, but he's worth risk in the 3rd round. He could develop into a better version of Wes Welker.

cloppbeast
04-24-2010, 01:13 AM

It's very possible they liked Sanders better than Tate.

Shoes
04-24-2010, 01:26 AM

Here's another one folks...Remember his name. He'll change his coat like so many others when these picks do well.

CaliStillersFan
04-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Their need for an OLB outweighed their need for a WR. If they need an OLB to start 2 seasons from now, you draft him now. WR is one of the easiest positions in football to fill, quality WR's are a dime a dozen. So it made more sense to get the OLB they wanted now, and look for a slot receiver in later rounds. I thought they could have found a quality slot receiver in the 4th or 5th rounds and used the 3rd for a DT but I assume they know more than me.

I think most of us are disappointed because they didn't address the secondary and flashes of William Gay getting burned by 10 yards on every play is scaring the crap out of us. :) That I can understand, but we did get 3 players and 2 are guaranteed starters within the next 2 seasons, so that's not too bad. If you can pull 4 long term starters from a draft you did pretty good, so they're half way there. Just remember the big name isn't always the best fit for our team, they draft players they think will fit our system best.

CaliStillersFan
04-24-2010, 01:36 AM
The dude is an orangutan. He might be short, but he's got long arms. He's fast, quick, and shifty. Of the WRs, he was the third fastest in the draft, second fastest in the cone drill, third fastest in the shuttle, and believe it or not, he had the 5th highest vertical. Needless to say, he's a heck of an athlete. I know these measurements don't prove he'll be a great player, but he's worth risk in the 3rd round. He could develop into a better version of Wes Welker.

Two words - LIMAS SWEED

All those intangibles don't mean squat if you can't catch the ball. :chuckle:

ricksteelers55
04-24-2010, 01:52 AM
I would have drafted Carlton Mitchell in round 4-5 instead of Sanders in 3....that is just me though

Steeldude
04-24-2010, 02:56 AM
If we were really so high on Worilds we probably could have had him in the 3rd. We could have had Golden Tate at 52. Sanders has no redeeming qualities, he's not fast, he's not tall, he's basically a far less talented, less physical version of Golden Tate. I am ASHAMED of our front office. The Worilds pick was bad enough with Tate, Sean Lee, Mt Cody AND Gerhart on the board but then going out and picking a WR in the 3rd just made me want to punch our FO in the face.

Either the Rooneys have gone senile or hired the Pirates' front office to make their decision for them.

you wanted tate and expressed your dislikes of sanders' speed and height? sanders is faster than holmes and tate. sanders is also a taller than tate.

why do you want gerhart? he isn't a need. cody is a tub of goo.

sanders will take battle's spot on the roster. i wasn't happy with taking a WR on the 2nd day, but that's the way it is :smile:

Steel Glory
04-24-2010, 03:19 AM
I'm just surprised that they passed on a proven playmaker in Mardy Gilyard. He was still available in the 3rd round when the Steelers picked.

And I'm still kind of upset about Worilds in the 2nd but I trust the front office more than my own draft insight. :thumbsup:

Thats why they get paid to do this kind of stuff and I don't.

steelreserve
04-24-2010, 03:23 AM
Maybe they liked sanders better than Tate and didn't want to risk not getting worilds

is it that hard to understand?

Yeah, that's easy to understand, but if it's the case, we definitely screwed up. We could've taken Tate in Round 2, and then NOBODY TOOK ANY MORE OLBs UNTIL OUR THIRD-ROUND PICK except New England, who had a different guy in mind. If we wanted Worilds that badly and were afraid of losing him somewhere in between, we could've traded some of our million late-rounders -- which I have no clue what we will do with now.

So .. yeah, we got the guy we wanted, but it does not take a great evaluator of football talent to see that we blew it in the numbers game. We basically psyched ourselves out on that one.

ricardisimo
04-24-2010, 04:09 AM

They picked Wallace, as I recall, in large measure because of his impressive Combine numbers, and that panned out pretty well, I'd say. WR might be one of the better positions with which to do just that: factor the Combine heavily.

pete74
04-24-2010, 04:12 AM
he was rated as a 5th rounder so it makes no sense to me why we would take him in the 3rd. horrible decision in my mind. our 2nd and 3rd round picks make absolutly no sense whatsoever. i think its time for a new GM

Steel Glory
04-24-2010, 04:27 AM
he was rated as a 5th rounder so it makes no sense to me why we would take him in the 3rd. horrible decision in my mind. our 2nd and 3rd round picks make absolutly no sense whatsoever. i think its time for a new GM

I know that people think that these weren't good picks, but there is a reason for them. Sanders was one of the top wideouts at the combine and we took Wallace earlier than others had him going in the 3rd round last year. As I recall he was also closer to a 5th.

The Steelers must have faith in their current CB prospects to keep disregarding the position in the draft. If they don't take a CB in round 4 then they obviously trust Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett or somebody is just too good to pass up such as Jonathan Dwyer as a 4th rounder.

Galax Steeler
04-24-2010, 05:38 AM
I think Sanders will not dissapoint anyone. People are judging him now rather then later. Lets take the wait and see approach before we throw him to the dogs and call him a bust.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-24-2010, 06:43 AM
He ran a 4.40 forty...

2006: 46 catches 605 yards 9 TD's
2007: 74 catches 889 yards 9 TD's
2008: 67 catches 958 yards 9 TD's
2009: 98 catches 1339 yards 7 TD's

Looked pretty good at the senior bowl....I'm thinking the coaching staff might have found a Mike Wallace type of player to man the slot position.

St33lersguy
04-24-2010, 08:20 AM
They picked him because
a. a late round prospect
b. a reach
c. it didn't make any sense

It is worth noting that thsi guy also has character issues. It ia worth noting that he was suspended for violating multiple team rules. Sounds like T.O and Keyshawn Johnson only short and less talented

steelerinmd
04-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Sanders may end up being a crap pick, but I get it after seeing the production from Wallace in round 3. I see this guy learning from Ward, Randle El, and of course Wallace. He can do special teams, which we need bad, and then maybe be the next Wallace this year or next.

The fact that he came out of an offense with inflated numbers is not a problem. It should be a good thing since he has run more routes and caught more balls than most receivers in the draft. His hands look real good and our offense, regardless of what the team says, is a passing offense now. Four wides with Wallace and Sanders on the outside burning up the edges and Randle El and Ward finding the soft spots in the zone underneath sounds good to me. Don't forget about Mendy coming out of the backfield after blocking and releasing.

Again, that is a best case scenario. Let's hope it works.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-24-2010, 09:09 AM
They picked him because
a. a late round prospect
b. a reach
c. it didn't make any sense

It is worth noting that thsi guy also has character issues. It ia worth noting that he was suspended for violating multiple team rules. Sounds like T.O and Keyshawn Johnson only short and less talented

Actually....NFL.com had him ranked ABOVE where the Steelers drafted him. He graded out as just below Tate but above Arrelious Benn and Brandon Lafell.

Cowboys...Bryant, Dez ...Pick 24, Round....Grade: 8.5
Broncos.....Thomas, Demaryius... Pick 22, Round 1 (22)....Grade: 8.4
Seahawks..Tate, Golden....Pick 28, Round 2 (60)...Grade: 7.9
Steelers......Sanders, Emmanuel Pick 18, Round 3 (82)...Grade: 7.8
Buccaneeers...Benn, Arrelious Pick 7, Round 2 (39) ... Grade: 7.7
Broncos....Decker, Eric Pick 23, Round 3 (87)..... Grade: 7.7
Panthers ..LaFell, Brandon Pick 14, Round 3 (78).... Grade: 7.5
Patriots.....Price, Taylor Pick 26, Round 3 (90)... Grade: 7.3
Titans........Williams, Damian Pick 13, Round 3 (77) .....Grade: 7.3
Bengals.....Shipley, Jordan Pick 20, Round 3 (84) .....Grade: 7.1
Cardinals...Roberts, Andre Pick 24, Round 3 (88) ....Grade: 6.9
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#dt-by-round-input:1/dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:wr

As far as his "character"...

Intangibles: Earned his place as a team leader in 2009, getting his teammates to work harder so they could go bowling this season. Suspended for the last two games of 2008 for three minor academic and football violations. That's not a major character issue; in fact, it probably pushed him to be better.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/564943

I think that a lot of the misconception in regards to Sanders is that he was ranked rather low when the major draft magazines came out. It was only after the combine, pro-day and team workouts that his stock began to rise.

The Steelers didnt guess on Sanders.

They brought him in on April 10th for a workout and obviously liked what they saw. The evaluations that we are making on him now, are being done without the benefit of the personal knowledge of the FO, scouts and coaches.

AllD
04-24-2010, 09:22 AM
The numbers show he was a good value pick. Hopefully he will be what Sweed was supposed to be.

Mistah_Q
04-24-2010, 09:32 AM
WHY did we take Emmanuel Sanders?To ransom captive I-i-israel

theplatypus
04-24-2010, 09:41 AM

aUyh2yaZPno

BKAnthem
04-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Even if he is a good pick we have more immediate needs at CB and ILB...I suspect if it wasn't for Rooney making noise about running more Colbert wouldn't have taken Pouncey...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2010, 10:47 AM
I love the first 2 picks, but really didnt think we needed to spend a 3rd on a WR. I'd have rather taken a shot at Corey Wooten, Bruce Campbell or LaGarrett Blount instead.................but Sanders will be fine.

I think it marks the end of the line for Sweed, despite all that has been said lately about him getting a shot. Ward, Wallace, El, Sanders, Battle, Sweed is probably 1 WR too many on the squad.

Psyychoward86
04-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Do a little research..........

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Scottie-Montgomery-on-Emmanuel-Sanders/91903bb5-eb76-4750-871d-0ff8c9e371bf

lolol Montgomery speaks just like Tomlin

cloppbeast
04-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Two words - LIMAS SWEED

All those intangibles don't mean squat if you can't catch the ball. :chuckle:

I agree. But what makes you think Sanders can't catch the ball?

taztroy43
04-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Jason Worilds is a beast at 6'1" 254lbs he ran a 4.47 40 at his pro day....and the Steelers fell in love with him!!!!!!!!! I like the Emmanuel Sanders pick he's pretty athletic and seems to be a solid WR....ran a 4.41 official 40 at the combine which was tied for 2nd best for WR....he's close to 5'11" 18something pounds....and he really reminds me of Holmes!!!

RJ1670
04-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Why does everyone want a cb? No CB in this draft is going to help us this season. We have two young ones and we got MacFadden back.

taztroy43
04-24-2010, 02:14 PM
This is why they drafted Emmanuel Sanders:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JNo-AznJ73I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JNo-AznJ73I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

PhantomJB93
04-24-2010, 02:55 PM
IDK, Im starting to feel better about the Sanders pick, I posted this thread literally the second I found out we passed on Golden Tate and then still took a WR early so I suppose I overreacted a bit lol. I still think if we wanted an OLB and a WR in 2 and 3 we should have gone Tate and then Bowman, but thats just my opinion.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-24-2010, 02:57 PM
lolol Montgomery speaks just like Tomlin

I noticed that too.

Galax Steeler
04-25-2010, 08:02 AM
This is why they drafted Emmanuel Sanders:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JNo-AznJ73I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JNo-AznJ73I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thanks for sharing I just hope he can keep doing that in the pros.

St33lersguy
04-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Because a few short sighted people panicked about WR depth after the Santonio trade and Airhead Arians just wants to keep throwing the ball. That's it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Because the Steelers coaches actually watched him work out and know more about drafting and evaluating talent ....then do a couple of fans who are too lazy to do research on the players before writing them off?

:noidea:

Just guessing.

Galax Steeler
04-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Because the Steelers coaches actually watched him work out and know more about drafting and evaluating talent ....then do a couple of fans who are too lazy to do research on the players before writing them off?

Just guessing.

Agreed :applaudit:

Texasteel
04-25-2010, 09:51 AM

Just guessing.

I actually saw a couple of SMU games, the campus is about 15 miles from my house. Sanders may be the most polish and NFL ready of all the WRs. He runs very good routs, and is not afraid to catch the ball anywhere on the field. He looked to me to run very well after the catch, was not afraid of contact. I saw him make a couple of Ward type blocks. This kid may have be hidden a little having played at SMU, but I believe that most will be pleasantly surprised come August. I think he is a very good addition to the WR group. To be truthful, I think his game is more like Ward than Tate's is.

Texasteel
04-25-2010, 09:57 AM
IDK, Im starting to feel better about the Sanders pick, I posted this thread literally the second I found out we passed on Golden Tate and then still took a WR early so I suppose I overreacted a bit lol. I still think if we wanted an OLB and a WR in 2 and 3 we should have gone Tate and then Bowman, but thats just my opinion.

You opinion means as much as any one else's right now, but if I was choosing between Tate / Bowman, and Worilds / Sanders, I would take Worilds / Sanders.

NEPAsteeler
04-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Here's a grand idea: How 'bout we actually let all of these guys play first and then make a decision as to whether they're good or bad. All in all, I think we actually had a pretty good draft. Only time will tell how these guys pan out.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Here's a grand idea: How 'bout we actually let all of these guys play first and then make a decision as to whether they're good or bad. All in all, I think we actually had a pretty draft. Only time will tell how these guys pan out.

:thumbsup:

revefsreleets
04-26-2010, 12:00 PM
I think Tate is more of a possession type guy and Sanders has more big-play potential.

There was actually some in-studio discussion about this Saturday, talking about how Seattle has like 4 possession receivers and no home-run hitters at WR. I think with Sanders and Wallace, we have two burners with legit deep-threat capabilities to go along with Ward and ARE who are more like possession type guys now (not that they are exclusively that, just more suited to it at this stage of their careers).