PDA

View Full Version : I Absolutely Hate our 2nd and 3rd round picks!

SteelCurtain0815
04-24-2010, 03:15 AM
Wtf were we thinking? An OLB? Really? When we have pressing needs at CB, DL, S, and G. I was at work and I got the texts from a friend telling me who we took. I was royally pissed. The WR baffles me as well. Stupid! I gotta vent about this. I hope I am completely wrong, but why not a corner or d-lineman in the second and third? F***!

The Duke
04-24-2010, 03:26 AM
Wtf were we thinking? An OLB? Really? When we have pressing needs at CB, DL, S, and G. I was at work and I got the texts from a friend telling me who we took. I was royally pissed. The WR baffles me as well. Stupid! I gotta vent about this. I hope I am completely wrong, but why not a corner or d-lineman in the second and third? F***!

Because they wanted a linebacker and a receiver

And hey, they got them!!

Lewis and Burnett are still on the team. just so you know....

steelreserve
04-24-2010, 03:27 AM
I hear you. I mean, it sounds like we got a good player but took him WAY higher than we needed to. Then we made what looked like a hip-shooting effort to draft for need in Round 3, but got a guy way worse than we could've had in Round 2. Basically, flip-flop the picks and we end up with Golden Tate and still get Worilds in the third. If we really do it right, maybe we unload some of our shitload of late-round picks and get another decent prospect. Like I said in the other thread, we blew it on the numbers game this time.

Steeldude
04-24-2010, 06:03 AM

the steelers needed a OLB too. who, on the roster, do the steelers have waiting in the wings at OLB?

G was settled when they picked pouncey. he will start his career at G and then move to C.

i agree with you on the WR position being selected on the 2nd day. oh well, perhaps everything will work out as they planned.

Aussie_steeler
04-24-2010, 06:13 AM
I am a fan of those picks. OLB and WR were just fine by me.

The grass looks greener on my side of the fence. The only way it could have been better was to see Koa Misi fall to us #52.

Hell, I would even love to see us draft Eric Norwood in the 4th to really bolster the LB corp

steeldawg
04-24-2010, 06:31 AM
I just hate the manny sanders pick !!!!! 5'11 186lbs , i would of liked to see us a reciever with a little more size.

OneForTheToe
04-24-2010, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=SteelCurtain0815;811157]Wtf were we thinking? An OLB? Really? When we have pressing needs at CB, DL, S, and G. I was at work and I got the texts from a friend telling me who we took. I was royally pissed. The WR baffles me as well. Stupid! I gotta vent about this. I hope I am completely wrong, but why not a corner or d-lineman in the second and third? F***![/QUOTE

Guard? Exactly how many guards do we need? Lets see Kemo, Essex, Pouncy, Urbik, Foster and Legursky. That is either more than enough guards or the longest sounding law firm name I have ever heard.

OneForTheToe
04-24-2010, 07:57 AM
I just hate the manny sanders pick !!!!! 5'11 186lbs , i would of liked to see us a reciever with a little more size.

Yea, Ben don't like short ... then again, he is probably isn't being consulted at the moment. :wink02: "Yes sir (Mr. Rooney), that was a great pick. After I detail your car and pick-up the dry cleaning, I'll take my 15 minute break before I get to those bathrooms."

Rick5895
04-24-2010, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=SteelCurtain0815;811157]Wtf were we thinking? An OLB? Really? When we have pressing needs at CB, DL, S, and G. I was at work and I got the texts from a friend telling me who we took. I was royally pissed. The WR baffles me as well. Stupid! I gotta vent about this. I hope I am completely wrong, but why not a corner or d-lineman in the second and third? F***![/QUOTE

Guard? Exactly how many guards do we need? Lets see Kemo, Essex, Pouncy, Urbik, Foster and Legursky. That is either more than enough guards or the longest sounding law firm name I have ever heard.

Pouncey will be our next great center, We passed on Mangold a few years ago, couldn't let this one pass us by. GREAT PICK

anthony43ross
04-24-2010, 08:02 AM
I could't agree more that these were BAD picks, my friends and I shared this anger with you! We need to replace William Gay not our LB's!

msafford
04-24-2010, 08:10 AM
http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/14576471/330295574.jpg

steelerinmd
04-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Yeah, I don't post much. I read this forum everyday, however. Who knows what each pick turns out good and which is a bust.

First pick is awesome, out of the park. Second pick is typical Steelers and we did need to get some depth at OLB. The third pick was strange at the time, but I said the same thing about Wallace last season. I think Wallace moving to split now opens a spot and Sanders seems very much like Wallace in the sense that he is quick and fast. He comes from a passing offense and knows how to run routes and get open. A year with Ward and Randle El and Wallace will make him quality depth and eventually a starter in a best-case scenario. I trust the front office even though it seems the pick is strange. :tt03:

SteelCurtain0815
04-24-2010, 04:48 PM

None of those guards are spectacular by any means. We drafted Pouncey as our future Center, not guard, therefore we didn't settle our need at guard. Sure, Pouncey will play guard next year, but that's only for one year. If Urbik doesn't pan out, which I don't believe he will, then guard is what we need on our o-line.

Colbert and Tomlin get an A for the first pick and an F throughout the rest. I'm still pissed about the second and third round picks and I have no idea how good they can be. Hope I'm wrong.

Merchant
04-24-2010, 05:33 PM

How big is Desean Jackson again?

OneForTheToe
04-24-2010, 06:02 PM
None of those guards are spectacular by any means. We drafted Pouncey as our future Center, not guard, therefore we didn't settle our need at guard. Sure, Pouncey will play guard next year, but that's only for one year. If Urbik doesn't pan out, which I don't believe he will, then guard is what we need on our o-line.

Colbert and Tomlin get an A for the first pick and an F throughout the rest. I'm still pissed about the second and third round picks and I have no idea how good they can be. Hope I'm wrong.

Fair enough, but you are forgetting that Foster and Legursky are still young enough to improve.

SteelCurtain0815
04-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Fair enough, but you are forgetting that Foster and Legursky are still young enough to improve.

Yes, they can still improve & I certainly hope they do. I'm just not willing to call them starter material right now, but a lot can change in the off season. I still doubt that either one of them ever sees the field this year unless an injury happens.

X-Terminator
04-25-2010, 05:25 PM
I could't agree more that these were BAD picks, my friends and I shared this anger with you! We need to replace William Gay not our LB's!

I guess you didn't see that the Steelers traded for Bryant McFadden, therefore doing what you asked here? They also have Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis still on the team and entering their 2nd year. How many corners do you think the Steelers need?

I'd also like to ask the OP (I know Steeldude already asked this), but WHO do the Steelers have at OLB after Woodley and Harrison? The answer is nobody. That is why they drafted an OLB - to address that lack of depth. Meanwhile, they have Foote and Fox behind Timmons and Farrior, two guys who can step right in if one of them goes down. You can argue the draft value of Worilds, but the reasoning behind the move is solid.

Preacher
04-25-2010, 06:37 PM
I guess you didn't see that the Steelers traded for Bryant McFadden, therefore doing what you asked here? They also have Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis still on the team and entering their 2nd year. How many corners do you think the Steelers need?

I'd also like to ask the OP (I know Steeldude already asked this), but WHO do the Steelers have at OLB after Woodley and Harrison? The answer is nobody. That is why they drafted an OLB - to address that lack of depth. Meanwhile, they have Foote and Fox behind Timmons and Farrior, two guys who can step right in if one of them goes down. You can argue the draft value of Worilds, but the reasoning behind the move is solid.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Excellent post. It has also come out that they had the trade sown up a couple days before hand, so that was never going to be an issue. They were never even looking for a CB in the high rounds.

steelersguy
04-25-2010, 11:36 PM
I love both picks. We need depth at OLB .

JEFF4i
04-25-2010, 11:44 PM
I like it.

The Steelers don't draft too many failures, so I'm even having faith in Worilds. If he turns out to be a solid receiver, then we have super-fast Wallace, ines for at least a little bit more, then El and Worilds out there two.

As far as OLB, perhaps maintaining one of the best linebacker corps in the league is a good idea?

Bluedust
04-25-2010, 11:59 PM

You need to get that aggression out man, buy some more guns and take out some brown people, you'll be okay I promise.

7willBheaven
04-26-2010, 12:59 AM
I like it.

The Steelers don't draft too many failures, so I'm even having faith in Worilds. If he turns out to be a solid receiver, then we have super-fast Wallace, ines for at least a little bit more, then El and Worilds out there two.

As far as OLB, perhaps maintaining one of the best linebacker corps in the league is a good idea?

Hahah...i think your getting guys mixed up. Worilds is an OLB not a WR...Sanders is the 3rd round WR they took. That would be an interesting conversion though...from DE to WR haha.

SteelCurtain0815
04-26-2010, 02:01 AM

I posted that before the McFadden trade. It doesn't matter how many guys you have at a position if their abilities are average at best. We haven't seen enough of Lewis and Burnett to judge them, so I'm hoping one of them can replace Gay as our third corner. But you're right, corner wasn't a need after the McFadden trade. And right you are about drafting an OLB, but I strongly disagree with drafting him that high. Usually when you draft someone in the second round you expect them to be a starter in their second or third year, and as long as Harrison and Woodley are on this team he won't see the field unless injury occurs. I would have rather taken someone that high that could challenge for a starting position in a year or two and settled for an OLB in the 4th or even 3rd. My mind won't change about this pick unless this guy turns into a pro bowler. I don't even want to talk about the 3rd round pick. :banging:

SCSteeler4Life
04-26-2010, 04:22 AM

He is the same size as Santonio! The only difference is 6 pounds which he should add in the weight room. Give the guy a break.

Galax Steeler
04-26-2010, 04:57 AM
In a couple of years people won't be complaining about the Worlids pick. Harrison will be a slowing up and we will have his replacement. I love the way people throw these players to the dogs and they haven't even had a chance to show what they can do.

43Hitman
04-26-2010, 08:04 AM
In a couple of years people won't be complaining about the Worlids pick. Harrison will be a slowing up and we will have his replacement. I love the way people throw these players to the dogs and they haven't even had a chance to show what they can do.

I think if we have another mediocre season, we may just purge a few more whiny fans. :popcorn:

memphissteelergirl
04-26-2010, 09:44 AM

The voice of reason as always. :hatsoff:

SteelCurtain0815
04-26-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm not a whiny fan at all. I can have my opinion about the draft & I hated it. I'm sure my opinion will change on one or two players, but unless Worilds is a pro bowler if he becomes a started down the road, I won't like the pick. Could have drafted bigger needs.

Texasteel
04-26-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm not a whiny fan at all. I can have my opinion about the draft & I hated it. I'm sure my opinion will change on one or two players, but unless Worilds is a pro bowler if he becomes a started down the road, I won't like the pick. Could have drafted bigger needs.

With their plan to pick up a veteran CB in place, I really don't think there was a bigger need.

bblocker14
04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
I give the team kudos for picking character guys who play at 110%. Those young LB will wreak havoc on special teams, especially Sylvester. Sanders will learn and give it his all. they say they remind them of Mike Wallace, and he could turn out to be a star.

X-Terminator
04-26-2010, 09:39 PM

Such as? They addressed 2 pretty big "needs" at CB and OL and also addressed their lack of depth at OLB and added another WR to possibly replace Santonio. They are set just about everywhere else, at least for the next 2 years. What other, bigger needs do they have?

steelerdave1969
04-26-2010, 09:46 PM

Dude, there is 100's of scouts out there for each team in the NFL and the Steelers pay them well I am sure, 7 days a week during the college football season and NFL offseason's thats all they do. And you want to come in here and play Mel Kiper III ? Get a grip and give this draft a couple years and go from there.

LVSteelersfan
04-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Contrary to popular belief of some the Steelers fans, the Steelers don't have a lot of open slots on this team. It is two seasons away from being a championship team with pretty much the same cast of characters after they brought BMac and Foote back. The people drafted were meant to replace the backups, not the starters. It is the Steelers way and it will not change because someone on a message board thinks they had a bad draft. I don't think it was an A+ draft but that doesn't really exist. It was a Steeler draft looking toward the future.

JPPT1974
04-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Well Polamalu isn't getting any younger. And so the team needs to address needs like those. In order as the Steelers can blend young with vets!

zulater
04-27-2010, 12:06 AM
This is what I'm hearing.

Hey I spent nearly 50 dollars on 4 different draft guides which each had a whole paragraph apiece about these players, so you better listen when I tell you I know more about how to handle an NFL draft than the Steelers!!!! :banging::mad:

Sorry, but that's how it comes across to me. :noidea:

:wink02:

zulater
04-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Well Polamalu isn't getting any younger. And so the team needs to address needs like those. In order as the Steelers can blend young with vets!

True but if no one you like at a certain position is there when it's your turn you shouldn't force the issue either. That's how we ended up with Troy Edwards years ago. :doh:

SteelCurtain0815
04-27-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't know anything more about who we should draft than the next guy. I'm not trying to act like I do either. I'm simply stating my opinion about our draft. For the last time, I posted this thread before the McFadden trade, so I didn't know at the the time, that we were getting a solid corner. IMO, we had 6 positions that were more of a need than OLB. Like I said before, I don't have a problem with drafting an OLB when we definitely needed one for depth, but not in the 2nd round! Here are the positions that I thought we needed more than OLB- NT, DE, MLB, T, G, and RB. Granted, I'm not sure what value was available with our pick, but I would have been much happier with a 2nd round pick that ceased our need for one those positions. I'm sure there are still fans out there that will agree with me.

X-Terminator
04-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't know anything more about who we should draft than the next guy. I'm not trying to act like I do either. I'm simply stating my opinion about our draft. For the last time, I posted this thread before the McFadden trade, so I didn't know at the the time, that we were getting a solid corner. IMO, we had 6 positions that were more of a need than OLB. Like I said before, I don't have a problem with drafting an OLB when we definitely needed one for depth, but not in the 2nd round! Here are the positions that I thought we needed more than OLB- NT, DE, MLB, T, G, and RB. Granted, I'm not sure what value was available with our pick, but I would have been much happier with a 2nd round pick that ceased our need for one those positions. I'm sure there are still fans out there that will agree with me.

OLB - done
NT - Likely decided it was not worth drafting a guy right now to sit behind Big Snack for up to 3 years
DE - they have Hood and Harris, drafted a depth guy
T - OK, this one you have a point
G - this one too
MLB - Why? They have Foote and Fox behind Farrior and Timmons. Anyone they would have drafted would be sitting on the bench for at least 2 years, maybe 3.
RB - I dunno, everyone seems to love the Dwyer kid, so consider that done

millwalldavey
04-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Yea, Ben don't like short ... then again, he is probably isn't being consulted at the moment. :wink02: "Yes sir (Mr. Rooney), that was a great pick. After I detail your car and pick-up the dry cleaning, I'll take my 15 minute break before I get to those bathrooms."

something tells me that the Family does not want to hear anything about him and bathrooms....

SteelCurtain0815
04-27-2010, 07:02 PM
OLB - done
NT - Likely decided it was not worth drafting a guy right now to sit behind Big Snack for up to 3 years
DE - they have Hood and Harris, drafted a depth guy
T - OK, this one you have a point
G - this one too
MLB - Why? They have Foote and Fox behind Farrior and Timmons. Anyone they would have drafted would be sitting on the bench for at least 2 years, maybe 3.
RB - I dunno, everyone seems to love the Dwyer kid, so consider that done

NT- I see where you are coming from with that analysis, but Worilds is going to sit for at least three years, so your NT argument is somewhat irrelevant. Both Snack and Hoke aren't getting any younger, and NT takes time to groom.
DE- We do have Hood. I wouldn't count on Harris as being too special since we knocked him down to our practice squad almost all year last year, and even when we lost him to the Panthers, they still let him go quickly.
MLB- We do have solid depth there, so you may have me on this one. However, Farrior's play against the pass last year was terrible. I for one, wouldn't have minded getting some young blood with good speed and potential with that second pick. (I am doubting Sylvester makes the active roster)
RB- I liked the Dwyer pick. I thought it was great value for the 6th round, but there is a reason he slipped to the 6th round. Hopefully he proves people wrong.