PDA

View Full Version : Draft Grades: RD 1-3

SteelPride1207
04-24-2010, 08:53 AM
My criteria for draft success comes down to four areas: college production, talent, draft position, and team needs. Of the three picks yesterday only Pouncey met all four criteria which resulted in an A- (minus because he was a slight reach playing the center position).

Pouncey: A-
Played for powerhouse Florida, very talented, productive, and leadership quality.....conventional drafts would have made him a reach at 18 for the center position....final grade given based on Steeler offensive line need, talent, and college production.

Worilds: B-
2nd Rd reach projected in most drafts to be a 3rd Rd pick...does not fill immediate need (CB, OL, DL)...stock rose because of combine numbers (big risk)...graded in B catagory only because Steelers have poor depth at OLB.

Sanders: D
3rd Rd reach projected in most drafts to be a 4th/5th Rd pick...does not fill immediate need (CB, OL, DL)...put up good numbers in weaker conference... was generally rated the 12th-13th best WR in draft.

OVERALL: C+
Would have been higher but two factors came into play: 1st) both Worilds & Sanders were drafted higher than projected making them both reach picks....2) neither Worilds or Sanders filled immediate needs.

Adding depth to the OLB position is necessary but should not be prioritized above the absolute need to find a starting CB/S and more offensive line help.

The Steelers are either rebuilding or gearing up for a Super Bowl run now. With serious needs in key areas (secondary and offensive line play), choosing a OLB and WR are projects for the future.

plenewken
04-24-2010, 09:58 AM
My criteria for draft success comes down to four areas: college production, talent, draft position, and team needs. Of the three picks yesterday only Pouncey met all four criteria which resulted in an A- (minus because he was a slight reach playing the center position).

Pouncey: A-
Played for powerhouse Florida, very talented, productive, and leadership quality.....conventional drafts would have made him a reach at 18 for the center position....final grade given based on Steeler offensive line need, talent, and college production.

Worilds: B-
2nd Rd reach projected in most drafts to be a 3rd Rd pick...does not fill immediate need (CB, OL, DL)...stock rose because of combine numbers (big risk)...graded in B catagory only because Steelers have poor depth at OLB.

Sanders: D
3rd Rd reach projected in most drafts to be a 4th/5th Rd pick...does not fill immediate need (CB, OL, DL)...put up good numbers in weaker conference... was generally rated the 12th-13th best WR in draft.

OVERALL: C+
Would have been higher but two factors came into play: 1st) both Worilds & Sanders were drafted higher than projected making them both reach picks....2) neither Worilds or Sanders filled immediate needs.

Adding depth to the OLB position is necessary but should not be prioritized above the absolute need to find a starting CB/S and more offensive line help.

The Steelers are either rebuilding or gearing up for a Super Bowl run now. With serious needs in key areas (secondary and offensive line play), choosing a OLB and WR are projects for the future.

Compared to Cincy and Baltimore picks, I don't see how these 3 picks make us a favorite in our Division next year.
C+ is a fair assessment. Nothing to be extatic about.

Michael Keller
04-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Over all grade for building the team now and in the future c minus at best .

The Duke
04-24-2010, 10:10 AM
I give is an F-

Colbert sucks! We should be in charge of making the picks!! :rolleyes:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Compared to Cincy and Baltimore picks, I don't see how these 3 picks make us a favorite in our Division next year.
C+ is a fair assessment. Nothing to be extatic about.

Well I guess its a good thing we don't start rookies then. Huh? :coffee:

plenewken
04-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Well I guess its a good thing we don't start rookies then. Huh? :coffee:

I'd rather start a great rookie with tons of upside than a proven failure. I'm just saying.

pete74
04-24-2010, 10:46 AM
i think this is another bad draft for pittsburgh and another good one for the ravens and the bengals. we had much bigger issues then OLB and we passed on some good picks to get players we could of still got a round later. Colbert cant afford another bad draft and his job may be on the line here

The Duke
04-24-2010, 10:49 AM
i think this is another bad draft for pittsburgh and another good one for the ravens and the bengals. we had much bigger issues then OLB and we passed on some good picks to get players we could of still got a round later. Colbert cant afford another bad draft and his job may be on the line here

:rofl:

sure, sure

I think his two rings say otherwise

BigBen2WardPITT
04-24-2010, 11:04 AM
:rofl:

sure, sure

I think his two rings say otherwise

also, as much as Colbert's two last drafts have been fairly bad, the Rooneys love him too much to cut him lose. This team has trouble changing. Unless the player committs a crime and the FO is having a bad day, cuz then they are open to trade away future pro bowlers for 5th round picks.

Steelerfreak58
04-24-2010, 11:47 AM
YES FIRE COLBERT BECAUSE OF THE DRAFT! NEVER MIND THE TWO RINGS! THOSE DON"T MEAN ANYTHING ITS ALL ABOUT DRAFT PICKS!:chuckle:

BigBen2WardPITT
04-24-2010, 11:55 AM
YES FIRE COLBERT BECAUSE OF THE DRAFT! NEVER MIND THE TWO RINGS! THOSE DON"T MEAN ANYTHING ITS ALL ABOUT DRAFT PICKS!:chuckle:

i mean, i wouldnt argue to fire Colbert... not even close. Just these last two drafts have been really questionable in my mind, and so have some of the moves made in free agency. Questioning the FO doesn't mean i want them fired.