PDA

View Full Version : Thaddeus Gibson

Cmdurand21
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
This is an interesting pick to me. A lot of people were complaining about them taking a OLB in the 2nd round, and we take another in round 4? He is too undersized to be a DE (6'2", 243) in our system. Can anyone explain this pick to me? Comments? Concerns? Suddenness and Glide?

Sharkissle29
04-24-2010, 11:29 AM
haha, no idea whats going on

plenewken
04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Interesting you said?!? You mean from a psychiatric point of view?
I don't get it at all.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I had a good feeling we were targeting Gibson after we worked him out privately in Columbus during his pro day.

Burghfan58
04-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Lebeau and Butler must be making the picks.

steeltheone
04-24-2010, 11:52 AM
I have no idea...Farrior looked like crap last year, Foote is a good back up....Just not sure?

Burghfan58
04-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Apparently the Steelers were after Gibson.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1117571?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

KCSteelersFan
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Here's a Bruce Davis pick. I don't get this pick. WTF? We just got an OLB in the 2nd round, what's going on?

Cmdurand21
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I have no idea...Farrior looked like crap last year, Foote is a good back up....Just not sure?

They could project him as an ILB. Just a thought, I didn't think of that before. They could groom him for Farrior's spot, and it would explain the private workout.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-24-2010, 11:59 AM
One note on Gibson, he came into Ohio State as a stand up linebacker but was moved to defensive end after his freshman season. He may have less of a learning curve than other hybrids we draft.

KCSteelersFan
04-24-2010, 12:02 PM
They could project him as an ILB. Just a thought, I didn't think of that before. They could groom him for Farrior's spot, and it would explain the private workout.

I hope you're right, he's undersized to be a OLB. But to me there was just better players out that we could of gotten. And we could of use one of 5th to get him.:banging:

SteelManiac55
04-24-2010, 12:04 PM
One of our 5th's? The kid graded out as a 2nd round prospect. A lot of scouts feel like he truly has big-time potential. This is a value pick - we got a steal with Gibson.

BigBen2WardPITT
04-24-2010, 12:08 PM
yea i mean, we all know the steelers can groom linebackers. So, its hard to argue with Colbert and Company when they draft a guy like this and the OLB we got in the 2nd. I just wished we would have tried to fill some other needs with the 2nd round pick.

dunkuntou
04-24-2010, 12:09 PM
I think that Gibson was a solid selection. This was more about depth at outside linebacker (where there is none) and both Gibson and Worilds should be contributors on special teams.

Harrison is older than most people realize and I think the hope is that one of these two guys will really help in the future.

I would love to see a running back soon though....

cloppbeast
04-24-2010, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=dunkuntou;811585]I think that Gibson was a solid selection. This was more about depth at outside linebacker (where there is none) and both Gibson and Worilds should be contributors on special teams. [QUOTE]

I'm buying the argument that they plan on moving Gibson to the middle.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-24-2010, 12:12 PM
I hope you're right, he's undersized to be a OLB. But to me there was just better players out that we could of gotten. And we could of use one of 5th to get him.:banging:

Undersized? He is essentially James Harrison. Same weight with two more inches of height than James has.:doh:

Psyychoward86
04-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Why would Gibson be an ILB? He played DE in college, and we all know the steelers like to convert good pass rushing DE's into OLB's

Godfather
04-24-2010, 12:16 PM
They obviously think a healthy Troy will solve the secondary woes.

So they're just drafting for depth across the board.

SteelManiac55
04-24-2010, 12:21 PM
They obviously think a healthy Troy will solve the secondary woes.

So they're just drafting for depth across the board.

I have to think that either Keenan Lewis or Joe Burnett are blossoming at this point - they must have confidence in one of these young players.

CargoJon
04-24-2010, 12:31 PM
I could have stomached this pick at 2 better than the one we made - at least it wouldn't have felt like such a reach.

FYI - they interviewed this guy on Sirius radio, he mentioned the Steelers had not said one word to him about moving inside....

LVSteelersfan
04-24-2010, 12:39 PM
In the Rooneys we trust. These will be good picks. These will be good picks. Unfortunately I don't follow college football (don't have time to watch college and the pros) so I know nothing about this. The Steelers have 4 picks in the 5th round. They will go after a CB here. Or a NT.

MasterOfPuppets
04-24-2010, 12:42 PM
i really thought an ilber like jamar chaney woulda made a lot more sence...:noidea:

LVSteelersfan
04-24-2010, 12:46 PM
They are just touting Worilds on ESPN as a great pick. I think the people there and in the FO probably know more than a lot of armchair QBs.

JCPsteelers
04-24-2010, 01:00 PM
They are just touting Worilds on ESPN as a great pick. I think the people there and in the FO probably know more than a lot of armchair QBs.

Yeah, Matt Millen.. I think I could do a better job building a team than Matt Millen did with the Lions..

I don't get what the heck we are doing in the draft.. No DL or secondary picks? Are you kidding me?

BigBen2WardPITT
04-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Yeah, Matt Millen.. I think I could do a better job building a team than Matt Millen did with the Lions..

I don't get what the heck we are doing in the draft.. No DL or secondary picks? Are you kidding me?

ha yea, i liked the rep of the player, but it came from Millen haha, kinda bad luck.

We just got mcfadden back.

kirklandrules
04-24-2010, 01:32 PM
ha yea, i liked the rep of the player, but it came from Millen haha, kinda bad luck.

We just got mcfadden back.

But Millen played linebacker and should understand that position. I think we got some guys that will provide some good backup until they have the system down. The only viable option for backup at OLB prior to the draft was to move Timmons out there. But I'm sure LeBeau doesn't want to shift starters out of their positions just to provide back up ... beside i'd rather have a backup on the outside and not a backup working on the inside.

And they just selected another OLB. Guess they really feel like there's a big need there. And I would assume they are looking at one of these new guys to work in the middle.

It's the Steelers ... can you ever have enough linebackers?

JCPsteelers
04-24-2010, 01:33 PM
It's the Steelers ... can you ever have enough linebackers?

well they just took another one.. This is getting comical at this point..

tube517
04-24-2010, 01:33 PM
If LeBeau sees something he can work with, do we really question him? On another note, can he play special teams? We do need help there.

Lebeau and Butler must be making the picks.

PalmerSteel
04-24-2010, 01:47 PM
reason for these pikcs, is it because of a chance of losing woodley? is this his last year under contract?

solardave
04-24-2010, 02:06 PM
I say he'll be an ILB in our scheme.

Preacher
04-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Naaa... we're looking for a FB! :rofl:

atlsteelers
04-24-2010, 02:58 PM
we needed some quailty youth at the lbs postiions. farrior is old, fox will be gone, and bailey will be gone..

steelerdave1969
04-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Here's a Bruce Davis pick. I don't get this pick. WTF? We just got an OLB in the 2nd round, what's going on?

Not even close to Bruce Davis. This guy if healthy and without problems health wise in college could have or most likely would have been a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder. He is a great passrusher and that what the Steelers like in case you just joined the Steelers Black n Gold club.

Tone's Toes
04-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Hopefully all these OLB's getting drafted doesn't mean Woodley is gone after this season.