PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the end of the perfect franchise?

IamTheSteelGod
02-07-2006, 05:41 AM
Okay, hate to be the one who places the negative waves but who's contracts are up now?

Haiku_Dirtt
02-07-2006, 12:11 PM
I think Randle El is gone. Especially after most teams are going to remember him for outstanding play in the playoffs rather than the fumbled pitch to Hines against New England and his tendency to return kicks east-west.

He won't get Plaxico money from another team but surely he can get more than what the Steelers can and should pay him. Now that he has a ring I think his main focus is the biggest paycheck and guaranteed money. He is on the record saying that he'd love to play for the Bears.

Every other core player is locked up. So to answer your question...NO. This is not the end of this team. Really it is just the beginning...from quarterback to strong safety.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2006, 02:44 PM
We are basically intact on offense... Randle El is only key FA as far as starters go.. but we'll need to work on depth on the OL again, and possibly at TE as well..

Defense is where we could feel a sting if Hope and Townsend leave, we will have little veteran depth. I would imagine we will keep atleast one of those 2 if not both. I would think Deshea would be the more expendable one if anyone becuz of our good depth at CB. we have very little depth at safety so Hope is a key to come back.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Major areas of concern for me......at leat for depth...
OFFENSE:
HB, WR, C, TE
Defense:
DE both sides, MLB, FS, CB

I think our first pick should go towards offense.......and second pick to back up our defense

BenPFJ1958
02-07-2006, 02:51 PM
I think Randle El is gone. Especially after most teams are going to remember him for outstanding play in the playoffs rather than the fumbled pitch to Hines against New England and his tendency to return kicks east-west.

He won't get Plaxico money from another team but surely he can get more than what the Steelers can and should pay him. Now that he has a ring I think his main focus is the biggest paycheck and guaranteed money. He is on the record saying that he'd love to play for the Bears.

Every other core player is locked up. So to answer your question...NO. This is not the end of this team. Really it is just the beginning...from quarterback to strong safety.

I think that the Steelers would do well to make a sincere effort to sign Randle El - he provides so much more versitility that your average wide receiver by being able to throw the ball (two TD's in the playoffs) and his ability to break a punt return at any time.

What about Chris Hope, Kimo - and I think there are a few others on the bubble.

Also don't forget about Ken W. , being interviewed by the Raiders - he is one of the best offense coordinators that we have had in a long time - he really understands Ben very well and knows what he and the rest of the offense can and can't do. I don't think he will go (would you want Al Davis as your boss) but we will wait and see.

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2006, 03:14 PM
The end? I think it's the complete opposite. We're just getting started my brother from another mother.

IamTheSteelGod
02-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Its the same sh*ty ordeal! We can't lose Randle El cos that would be another love lost, he has done alot for the team! Plus that would be a second Authentic jersey I have bought thats not up to date with the roster! Burress last year! And their not cheap! :dang:

What about Wardy what are they doing with his contract!

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Ward is signed! Kimo is free agent that's worrisome. El says he wants too stay so it'll be up to him. 2 million (guess) STEELERS to 3 (guess) another team , how many millions do you need?? I'm just sick of everybody going for the money, how about some loyalty to the teams and their fans!! Hopefully he learns from Ward's example!

TasmanianTroy271
02-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Its the same sh*ty ordeal! We can't lose Randle El cos that would be another love lost, he has done alot for the team! Plus that would be a second Authentic jersey I have bought thats not up to date with the roster! Burress last year! And their not cheap! :dang:

Ward signed an extention in the offseason, and he'll be here for a while. That is why you make sure that a players gonna be here a while before buying their jersey. Good ideas would probably include Hampton, Ward, Wilson, and Miller. They all signed big contracts this past offseason. Or, wait and see who we sign in the offseason

43Hitman
02-07-2006, 06:06 PM

Umm Ward's contract was extended in pre-season. He will retire a Steeler.

Verron Haynes is a free agent as well as Von Olehoffen. I think that Batch is also a free agent.

Steve_Courson's_Liver
02-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Ward is signed! Kimo is free agent that's worrisome. El says he wants too stay so it'll be up to him. 2 million (guess) STEELERS to 3 (guess) another team , how many millions do you need?? I'm just sick of everybody going for the money, how about some loyalty to the teams and their fans!! Hopefully he learns from Ward's example!

Loyalty is great, but lets live in reality. There is no loyalty in football. If a guy has an off year he is cut... period. Ward got his money because he is still very good, not because of loyalty. If Randle El can make an extra million, he should jump on it. I would not blame him or any other guy on this team that cashes in. A football career is so short... get the green while you can.

Dook
02-07-2006, 08:23 PM
I don't see, or want, the Steelers offering Randel El more than $7.75m for 5yrs.

yr 1 $775k
yr 2 $1m
yr 3 $1m
yr 4 $1.5m
yr 5 $2m
signing bonus $1.5m

We really can't pay him more than this and still sign our other, more important free agents. Also paying more than this really puts us in a tough (impossible) position to sign Ben and Polo in the future.

Next year we will have Nate Washington and Quincy Morgan competing for WR and, I hope, a 1st or 2nd round draft pick WR.

Now there are some things we can do to try and keep Randel El. Restructure Porter, Hartings, and Staley's contracts so each takes $1m less next year. And cutting Morey, saves $ 455k, cutting Haynes saves another $656k.

Personally I would cut Porter and save $3.5m in cap but I know many others don't agree.

It all comes down to some tough choices.

Haiku_Dirtt
02-07-2006, 08:46 PM
I think that the Steelers would do well to make a sincere effort to sign Randle El - he provides so much more versitility that your average wide receiver by being able to throw the ball (two TD's in the playoffs) and his ability to break a punt return at any time.

What about Chris Hope, Kimo - and I think there are a few others on the bubble.

Also don't forget about Ken W. , being interviewed by the Raiders - he is one of the best offense coordinators that we have had in a long time - he really understands Ben very well and knows what he and the rest of the offense can and can't do. I don't think he will go (would you want Al Davis as your boss) but we will wait and see.

Kimo won't leave. He loves this team and city. He's a Molokai guy where money is not the highest priority. I think Hope is also very happy where he is playing. His play has not exactly been 'off the charts' so teams aren't going to be throwing around huge numbers for him. He's been quoted saying he loves the idea of playing with fellow FSU guy McFadden.

As far as Randle El, I just think he is the one guy we won't be signing SO we can keep the others.

Whiz mostly was great this year. I guess it's not his fault Tommy melted down. I heard the same thing when Norm Chow left USC for the Titans. The system doesn't just go away with the coach when you have the players that run the system still intact.

First, I think he would be crazy to go to that dysfunction known as the Raiders. I don't think Davis will be any LESS senile this year. Perhaps he is looking for contract leverage with the Steelers. Other more sensible jobs will be opening up in the next year or two. Since he'll be looking for a new job in two years after Davis fires him anyway why take the risk when he has SUCH a good thing.

Second, potential OCs will be lining up to take this job. Who in heaven or hell would not want this job.