PDA

View Full Version : Crezdon Butler..

JCPsteelers
04-24-2010, 12:28 PM
OMG, we took a corner. :sofunny:

BigBen2WardPITT
04-24-2010, 12:29 PM
yes! I am really happy, even with the trade for McFadden. Not sure he was the best available by all scouts thoughts but i dunno anything about him.

CargoJon
04-24-2010, 12:29 PM
From NFL.com....this may be a LeBeau project as well as ST gunner:

Butler has good size and straight line speed for the position but lacks great change of direction in coverage and lateral quickness in pure man schemes. He isn’t a physical tackler and needs to use his hands better to separate from blockers. Butler understands angles and how to leverage the ball but consistency is lacking. He needs to become more comfortable tracking the ball to make plays as a pass defender. Butler is a better athlete than football player but has the tools to develop into a solid NFL defender. He is a bit of a project and may contribute early as a rolled up corner in two deep coverage’s as well as special teams.

SteelManiac55
04-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Project corner, has solid size and quickness. He should be a guy that contributes on special teams immediately.

JSH6487
04-24-2010, 12:31 PM
LOL and now they take ANOTHER OLB.

BigBen2WardPITT
04-24-2010, 12:33 PM

D-LINEMAN!!!! PLEASE STEELERS!

BigBen2WardPITT
04-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Butler has the measurables: 4.43 speed, 39.5" Vertical & 4.23 shuttle time.

Psyychoward86
04-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Um he's an ILB, instinctive and not a blitzer.

JCPsteelers
04-24-2010, 12:37 PM

the highlights at Utah showed him coming off the edge..

pete74
04-24-2010, 12:39 PM

he's an OLB not ILB

The Duke
04-24-2010, 12:41 PM
the highlights at Utah showed him coming off the edge..

OLB's in a 4-3 do blitz sometimes, but that wasn't his primary job

evidence of that- only 8 sacks in four years

I'd be ecstatic if he can play ILB for us. but honestly seems more like a 4-3 OLB to me. we'll see....

BigBen2WardPITT
04-24-2010, 12:42 PM
ESPN has him as an OLB, but this discussion should be in the other thread about the OLB, this thread is about the corner.

MasterOfPuppets
04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
A three-year starter, Sylvester has made a name for himself with two strong postseason performances. As a junior, he had seven tackles, three sacks and a fumble recovery as Utah beat Alabama 31-17 in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2, 2009. In his last game with the Utes, Sylvester returned a tipped pass 27 yards for a touchdown late in a 37-27 win over California in the Poinsettia Bowl on Dec. 23. He was a second-team All-Mountain West Conference selection in 2008 and earned a first-team nod in '09, when he had 81 tackles, five for loss, and two sacks. His best season came as a sophomore, posting a career-high 86 tackles even though he wasn't in the starting lineup for five of 13 games. A strong work ethic made Sylvester Utah's defensive captain the past two seasons. He was able to overcome his lack of size, fitting in well in the Utes' speed-oriented scheme. Sylvester, though, lacks consistency, appearing very ordinary at times. Other than his two outstanding postseason efforts, he didn't have many game-changing plays. With his small frame, he is easily blocked enveloped by offensive linemen. In an effort to compensate, he sometimes loses his gap discipline, giving running backs large openings. Following the '09 Sugar Bowl, some scouts believed Sylvester had second-round talent. Now he may go undrafted. :doh:

CargoJon
04-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Tomlin going to be on NFLN in a minute...might get some clarification on some of these guys......

JCPsteelers
04-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Tomlin going to be on NFLN in a minute...might get some clarification on some of these guys......

yeah he was just on ESPN.. I'll turn it over..

Dino 6 Rings
04-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Another guy to help cover kicks...that's it.

Special Teams and depth. This draft is all about Special teams and depth past the 1st round. Sure the Pouncey kid can start day one...but the rest of these guys will be covering kicks so our Starters can stop getting gassed having to play special teams because the other dogs we had on the roster couldn't effing tackle on Kick Coverage...

vindrow
04-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Anyone want to bet we take another OLB here in the sixth.

St33lersguy
04-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Congratulations steelers for waiting until a compensatory selection in the 5th roundbefore finally drafting a need.

Galax Steeler
04-24-2010, 03:21 PM
This is a new one on me I don't know much about him.

pancake
04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
he's an OLB not ILB

So was Timmons in college. NFL and Steelers have a history of moving OLB to inside and DE to OLB.

pancake
04-24-2010, 03:43 PM
yes! I am really happy, even with the trade for McFadden. Not sure he was the best available by all scouts thoughts but i dunno anything about him.

The Butler kid has speed and you can't teach that.

SH-Rock
04-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Lebeau can make any guy physical (That's what she said :rofl:)

WH
04-24-2010, 05:17 PM
What the hell kinda first name is Crezdon? I swear people don't even try anymore.

And how do you say Worilds?

Fire Haley
04-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Some Clemson love

Clemson's Crezdon Butler: Underrated Corner

The Tigers graduated two outstanding corners this year. For some reason, the better of the pair seems to be slipping down NFL draft boards.

Reports of a less-than-stellar season for Crezdon Butler are badly flawed. It makes you question how talent is really assessed. There is far more to Butler’s play than a simple stat line will tell you.

In reality, Butler could have gone pro last year and done just fine. He posted more interceptions and return yardage in 2008 than 2009. He also delivered a hit in the South Carolina game that must have made NFL scouts salivate.

Butler’s numbers fell off in 2009 because other teams simply refused to throw at him. In the first five games of the year, there were five balls thrown his way. Yet he had three passes broken up. There’s something to be said for consistency.

Just look at the defensive schemes Kevin Steele used last year. More often than not, the corners were on an island. Chris Chancellor took the “other guy.” Marcus Gilchrist covered the slot receiver. Butler locked up with the one you were scared of. Most times he won.

This is not to say that Crezdon Butler will be the next Deion Sanders. Guys like that don’t show up every year in the draft. What Butler will be at the next level is a very consistent cover man. With safety help in some cover-two variation, he can take a top receiver out of the game.

The minor injuries he suffered towards the end of the year shouldn’t hamper his performance. Oh yeah, he also runs the 40 in 4.3. This guy has earned, at the very least, a middle-round selection. He’ll be a starter in the NFL in two or three years. Bet on it.

http://www.topix.com/forum/ncaa/clemson-football/TOK2UFV4FL8B7M1LM

Merchant
04-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Some Clemson love

Clemson's Crezdon Butler: Underrated Corner

The Tigers graduated two outstanding corners this year. For some reason, the better of the pair seems to be slipping down NFL draft boards.

Reports of a less-than-stellar season for Crezdon Butler are badly flawed. It makes you question how talent is really assessed. There is far more to Butler’s play than a simple stat line will tell you.

In reality, Butler could have gone pro last year and done just fine. He posted more interceptions and return yardage in 2008 than 2009. He also delivered a hit in the South Carolina game that must have made NFL scouts salivate.

Butler’s numbers fell off in 2009 because other teams simply refused to throw at him. In the first five games of the year, there were five balls thrown his way. Yet he had three passes broken up. There’s something to be said for consistency.

Just look at the defensive schemes Kevin Steele used last year. More often than not, the corners were on an island. Chris Chancellor took the “other guy.” Marcus Gilchrist covered the slot receiver. Butler locked up with the one you were scared of. Most times he won.

This is not to say that Crezdon Butler will be the next Deion Sanders. Guys like that don’t show up every year in the draft. What Butler will be at the next level is a very consistent cover man. With safety help in some cover-two variation, he can take a top receiver out of the game.

The minor injuries he suffered towards the end of the year shouldn’t hamper his performance. Oh yeah, he also runs the 40 in 4.3. This guy has earned, at the very least, a middle-round selection. He’ll be a starter in the NFL in two or three years. Bet on it.

http://www.topix.com/forum/ncaa/clemson-football/TOK2UFV4FL8B7M1LM

Hmm.. that actually made me feel much more comfortable with him not being a waste of a pick :thumbsup:

Fire Haley
04-25-2010, 12:49 PM
I give everyone at least one chance. He'll get his.