BlastFurnace
04-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Great Pick in the 6th round.

BigBen2WardPITT
04-24-2010, 01:33 PM
whats the deal with him? Fast? slow?

TheRuneMeister
04-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Really good selection I think. Good value in the sixth round. One of my favorite picks this year.

BlastFurnace
04-24-2010, 01:38 PM
I love this pick.

atlsteelers
04-24-2010, 01:42 PM
i am suprised dwyer lasted so long. having seen dwyer play he is a good inside runner, not supper fast bbut real quick. in the spread at gt he was so good at reading the defense. i thought he would have been drafted much earlier. the predraft leak of him failing a drug test was due to his league approved use of an ADD medicine. i think he will be a real nice addition.

OneForTheToe
04-24-2010, 01:48 PM
A powerful back, runs into defenders and delivers hits... A potential grinder, has the frame to carry the ball 25 times per game if asked to do so... Runs like he's 10-15 pounds lighter than he is... Keeps his legs moving on contact, never gives up... Can break the long run, knows how to get into the secondary and can run over and past people when in the open field... Has long legs and seems to glide with the football.. Keeps his pad level low... Can move the ball between hands almost effortlessly to avoid fumbles... Consistent, reached 80+ rushing yards in 11 of 14 games in 2009... 2008 ACC player of the year.

Glide, but does he possess suddenness.

atlsteelers
04-24-2010, 01:52 PM
in 2008 he looked better than spiller. last year he was a little banged up. really looking forward to him in the black and gold

StainlessStill
04-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Can't believe Dwyer fell this far in the draft. Steelers jumped on him right away. It's obvious what the Steelers want to do, huge opportunity with Mendenhall and a force like Dwyer in the backfield. Lovin this draft, one of the best in recent years on paper and needs.

Burghfan58
I was hoping for either him or Legarrett Blount. Glad we picked up a power back at any rate.

BlastFurnace

"Suddenness and Glide"...is that copyrighted now?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-24-2010, 01:54 PM

Damn! :banging:

:sofunny::sofunny:

stillers4me
04-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Can't believe Dwyer fell this far in the draft. Steelers jumped on him right away. It's obvious what the Steelers want to do, huge opportunity with Mendenhall and a force like Dwyer in the backfield. Lovin this draft, one of the best in recent years on paper and needs.

Funny how one trade and couple of hours changes things. :wink02:

Prok
04-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Funny how one trade and couple of hours changes things. :wink02:

True dat. I figured a bunch of us would like this pick. Count me in.

:drink:

solardave
04-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Glide, but does he possess suddenness. Yes! Suddenly he is a STEELER!!

KCSteelersFan
04-24-2010, 02:06 PM
This is a great pick at this point of the draft, got Bmac back and now we got Dwyer late in the 6th round. Some draft experts at the beginning of the year has this guy going in the early rounds.

steelerdave1969
04-24-2010, 02:13 PM
whats the deal with him? Fast? slow?

As far as I am concerned this guy could be a steal in this draft. He is big and decently fast and is a North/South runner who could be Steelers Goalline back from day 1.. I am a Tar-Heels college football fan and I am glad to see this guy gone from GA Tech. He is or was a Beast to all ACC teams. I heard a interview with him on Sirius Radio this past week and he seems like a very hard working kid that Gil Brandt absolutely loves . . and thats pretty good from a guy like Brandt to like ya.

86WARD
04-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Great pick up...definite value here...

steel-EERS
04-24-2010, 02:15 PM
This is a great pick at this point of the draft, got Bmac back and now we got Dwyer late in the 6th round. Some draft experts at the beginning of the year has this guy going in the early rounds.

have seen comparison to Beanie kid from Ohio State from last year and a couple of noted power backs. He ain't the bus but he might be the closest we have had since he retired. time to get the swagger in the ground game back!!

stillers4me
04-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Beanie kid from Ohio State

:chuckle:

steelerdave1969
04-24-2010, 02:17 PM
in 2008 he looked better than spiller. last year he was a little banged up. really looking forward to him in the black and gold

Yeh he looked good as a Junior, but he had said on Sirius Radio Interview last week that he wanted to gain a little weight to help him take the beatings that he was taking and it held him back a little in overall speed. But he plans on being around 220 for the upcoming season. He is a beast that I look forward to seeing in Black n Gold as well. I wonder what the chances of him wearing #36 ?

CargoJon
04-24-2010, 02:22 PM
This is the first pick I actually cheered at. This excites me truly.

tube517
04-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Brandt liked McFadden when we drafted him, too!

As far as I am concerned this guy could be a steal in this draft. He is big and decently fast and is a North/South runner who could be Steelers Goalline back from day 1.. I am a Tar-Heels college football fan and I am glad to see this guy gone from GA Tech. He is or was a Beast to all ACC teams. I heard a interview with him on Sirius Radio this past week and he seems like a very hard working kid that Gil Brandt absolutely loves . . and thats pretty good from a guy like Brandt to like ya.

Nadroj 20
04-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I really like this pick....gives us another guy to compliment mendy...i really like it

xbroughneck
04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Some of his highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9Yme2gczU&feature=related)

For this late a pick...love it. In his highlights he doesn't appear to be moving his feet that quickly, but as has been said...guys still can't catch him from behind.

Good size...should end up around Mendy's size....good speed...

I like this pick too.

Godfather
04-24-2010, 03:01 PM
My only beef is drafting three outside linebackers. You're guaranteeing that one of those guys doesn't make the team.

We can address the safety and DT positions next year--we need to start grooming Troy and Big Snack's successors.

lillloyd
04-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Has a bit of Barry Foster in him IMHO.

If he's even half the back, it's a great pick! :tt03:

St33lersguy
04-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Wierd to see the steelers not reach for someone. Still didn't need a RB and DL for some reason still has yet to be addresses

Galax Steeler
04-24-2010, 03:17 PM
With the drafting of Dwyer where does this leave us with the other running backs we have. Who will be the odd man out. Parker is out of the picture so it sounds like to me it will be Mendenhall, Dwyer and Moore I guess Redman will be on the practice squad again but on the other hand what will we do with Frank the Tank?

Prok
04-24-2010, 03:19 PM
With the drafting of Dwyer where does this leave us with the other running backs we have. Who will be the odd man out. Parker is out of the picture so it sounds like to me it will be Mendenhall, Dwyer and Moore I guess Redman will be on the practice squad again but on the other hand what will we do with Frank the Tank?

That'll all be sorted out in camp, i believe.

Gotta say that after watching this kid's highlights i became even more excited with the pick.

:tt:

xbroughneck
04-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Frank the Tank was HORRIBLE in the limited time they had him playing fullback.

I don't know how anyone can expect a running back from Nevada to make the jump to the NFL and know how to block effectively. Even though he was big, he was a runner.

I think THAT may be the bust of last years draft. I will be surprised if Frank makes the squad next year because Johnson and McHugh are better blocking TEs than Tank is at the FB spot. With Mendy, Dwyer, Redman and Moore on the team I can't see Frank getting a spot.

OneForTheToe
04-24-2010, 03:35 PM
That'll all be sorted out in camp, i believe.

Gotta say that after watching this kid's highlights i became even more excited with the pick.

:tt:

Mendy
Dwyer
Moore

Redmen, and Tank will fight for a roster spot, but I think both could go to PS also With RBs you have to consider RFAs, of which I'm sure the Steelers will sign a few. Finally, I could see a scenario where Tank makes the team as the 4th RB/FB and Logan gets slotted as the 5th. Redmen or someone yet to be brought in gets put onto the PS as insurance against injury.

OneForTheToe
04-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Has a bit of Barry Foster in him IMHO.

If he's even half the back, it's a great pick! :tt03:

As long as he doesn't have half the career (in length) as Foster.

Preacher
04-24-2010, 03:46 PM

:rofl: Great minds think alike. . . . And so do ours.

JSH6487
04-24-2010, 03:49 PM
I think this kid is going to give us a ton more than say Gary Russell. I like Dwyer a lot...seen him play quite a bit in college. Will be a great complement to Mendenhall and could take over goal line duties this year.

Preacher
04-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Some of his highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9Yme2gczU&feature=related)

For this late a pick...love it. In his highlights he doesn't appear to be moving his feet that quickly, but as has been said...guys still can't catch him from behind.

I like this pick too.

your comments got me thinking while I was watching the video. I ended up noticing something on his running....

Anyone pick up how big a steps the guy makes when he is in the open? It got me to wondering... so I did a google search and came up with this.

Stride length - 100m sprinter

Work conducted by Hoffman on male 100 metre sprinters (10.4 to 11.0 seconds) indicated that the average stride length was 1.14 times the athlete's height. Similar work conducted by Rompotti on the best twelve 100m sprinters (11.0 to 12.4 seconds) at Stanford University concluded that the normal stride length was 1.17 times the athletes height. Despite the differences in abilities of the athletes in each group the results are fairly similar.
Further work conducted by Atwater on twenty three 100m sprinters (9.9 to 10.4 seconds) concluded that the average stride length was 1.35 times the athlete's height.
The possible reason for the differences in the results is that the work by Hoffman and Rompotti was conducted on cinder tracks; where as the work by Atwater was conducted on synthetic surfaces. Using Atwater's results, the six foot athlete (1.8 metres) has an average stride length of 2.5 metres.
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/economy.htm

So the average stride for a 6 foot - 100 meter runner is 2 yards and 2 feet, or almost three yards. Dwyer is 6 feet tall.

Now, if you watch him on the link you provided, look at 1:34. Notice that one stride (right foot to right foot) is actually almost 5 YARDS??? (actually, I it looks (hard to judge from a video) at about 4 yards plus, say four and a foot, or two feet. WOW that is a big stride. about another third to what the average 100 meter runner does.

The interesting thing is, he supposedly ran a 10.81 100 meter in highschool.

Maybe that is why he looks slower? I played hockey with a kid that literally looked like he was in slow motion, but no one could catch him. It ended up being the same thing. He just has really powerful strides.

BTW, He tested positive for Amphetamines at the combine, but is exempted for medical reasons. My only worry here, is that his blood pressure is under control as well (amphetamines can play havoc with BP).

EDIT: Bold the exemption and to say: It is for A.D.D. Wanted to clarify.

theplatypus
04-24-2010, 04:21 PM
BTW, He tested positive for Amphetamines at the combine, but is exempted for medical reasons. My only worry here, is that his blood pressure is under control as well (amphetamines can play havoc with BP).

Pretty sure that I read somewhere today that it was actually medication for ADD.

Preacher
04-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Pretty sure that I read somewhere today that it was actually medication for ADD.

Yep, I read the same thing.

Like I said, my only worry is the BP -- and that's just for health reasons.

Merchant
04-24-2010, 04:28 PM
your comments got me thinking while I was watching the video. I ended up noticing something on his running....

Anyone pick up how big a steps the guy makes when he is in the open? It got me to wondering... so I did a google search and came up with this.

So the average stride for a 6 foot - 100 meter runner is 2 yards and 2 feet, or almost three yards. Dwyer is 6 feet tall.

Now, if you watch him on the link you provided, look at 1:34. Notice that one stride (right foot to right foot) is actually almost 5 YARDS??? (actually, I it looks (hard to judge from a video) at about 4 yards plus, say four and a foot, or two feet. WOW that is a big stride. about another third to what the average 100 meter runner does.

Maybe that is why he looks slower? I played hockey with a kid that literally looked like he was in slow motion, but no one could catch him. It ended up being the same thing. He just has really powerful strides.

...my head hurts

Psyychoward86
04-24-2010, 04:41 PM

:chuckle:

Fire Haley
04-24-2010, 04:44 PM
We finally got a fatback.....all of Steeler Nation can rejoice.

Merchant
04-24-2010, 04:45 PM
How on earth did this guy fall to the 6th round?? :S I thought he was gonna be a 1st-2nd round pick all the times I watched him at GT

Great steal from the looks of it. Unless I'm missing something

Psyychoward86
04-24-2010, 04:46 PM

I like this pick too.

OMFG......1:44.......

Psyychoward86
04-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Um by the way guys, so Dwyer dropped from being a 1st-2nd round prospect to the 6th round, just because of that amphetamine that he has to take for "health reasons?"

pepsyman1
04-24-2010, 04:49 PM

He can LOOK slow as much as he wants...lol When you watch that video, I don't see anyone closing on him from behind. Someone posted that he looks a little like Barry Foster...personally, I think he runs more like Earl Campbell in the open field. Long, flowing strides...his head stays very stable and he looks to get upfield quickly. One cut and go most of the time. Very good pick for us.

Steeldude
04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
now it's a fight for the final RB position. it's between summers, redman, vincent and logan.

Psyychoward86
04-24-2010, 04:55 PM
now it's a fight for the final RB position. it's between summers, redman, vincent and logan.

pack of hobo's fighting for a slab of meat

Steelers17
04-24-2010, 04:59 PM
BTW, Blount was not drafted.

Just saying! :tt03:

Psyychoward86
04-24-2010, 05:02 PM
BTW, Blount was not drafted.

Just saying! :tt03:

wow are you serious....that kid is probably a 2nd round quality if it wasnt for that punch

Merchant
04-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Um by the way guys, so Dwyer dropped from being a 1st-2nd round prospect to the 6th round, just because of that amphetamine that he has to take for "health reasons?"

Wtf lol. THAT'S the reason. O well, everyone elses loss :tt03:

Psyychoward86
04-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Wtf lol. THAT'S the reason. O well, everyone elses loss :tt03:

i dunno, i was just asking, im still trying to figure out why he dropped so much!

Psyychoward86
04-24-2010, 05:08 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Kirby-Wilson-on-Jonathan-Dwyer/0bf02ee8-d721-49d8-b612-3696a7ea0cf9

Kirby Wilson on Jonathan Dwyer

Running Back - Georgia Tech

6th Round 188th Overall

This guy seems to have more going for him than a sixth-round pick. Why did he last so long?

Thats up to the decision makers on the other 31 teams, but we saw enough in him that we liked and interests us. And were going to give him a chance to fulfill his dreams.

Hes got some confidence, doesnt he?

Yeah, hes a good kid. Not often do you find 230-pound halfbacks with his ability with the ball in his hands. Hes an interesting guy. And were going to give him every opportunity to fulfill his dreams, like I said.

We asked him about his style and who would he remind us of. He said he didnt really have a style, then said Walter Payton.

Well, what he is, is hes a 230-pounder. With the ball in his hand, he has good plant strength. Hes aggressive when he has the ball in his hands. And hes got some savvy to him in terms of, hes had a lot of opportunities to run the football in college. Hes a workhorse-type of running back, and he should excel at the next level as a runner. Hes got some other things hes going to need to work on, but he does have some natural running ability. Again, when you are 230 pounds, that is a plus and that cant be taught.

What are the things that he needs to work on?

Hes like most running backs. Hell have to learn the passing game and the protections and blitz pickups and things of that nature. Hes going to have to learn a two-point stance all over again. Hes been down for so long. I think I went back over a two-year span and hes got six snaps where hes lined up in an I-formation. So, its going to be relearning for him. Its like getting back on a bicycle and starting all over again.

Were you surprised he was here this late in the draft?

No, not really. I think that most people had him projected somewhere in this area. I think that some of the earlier reports had him going much higher. But I think as the evaluation period went on, you started to see the things that he needed to work on; that he was not a finished product. Because when you talk about taking a guy in the first round [or] second round, that guy has to be darned-near a finished product, and is able to step out on the football field from Day 1 and probably be your starter.

When you take a guy who worked in an option offense, does it make it harder to judge what he can do?

Thats a very good question because just like [when] a quarterback is in a spread formation and he has some things that he needs to relearn and adjust to, the same goes for a running back that comes from that type of offense. In this particular offense, hes in a three-point stance 97 percent of the time and your reads arent the same. You are going to be given the ball and told run here. And then, after that, the instincts take over. As opposed to when you are in an I-formation [in a] two-point stance, seven yards back, you are able to get the ball, read the defense, have a key and then make an initial movement off of that first key. So it is a big difference. And it will be an adjustment period for him.

In their offense, did he have to block a lot and catch passes a lot?

No, he did not have those opportunities. They were very limited and very [few and] far between. But thats not a knock against him because that was the offensive system that he came from. You saw some of those things down at Indianapolis in the combine. He is capable. As I said earlier, he will have to have some work and develop like most running backs coming out of college. But, him, more so because of the offense that hes coming from.

Can you talk about your running back situation in general? You have Rashard [Mendenhall] and Mewelde [Moore], but not a lot of experience behind them. Would you like to see another veteran come in, or are you comfortable letting the young guys slug it out?

Weve talked about it earlier. Were going to carry seven running backs, it sounds like fullbacks and halfbacks combined going into training camp. We like our room. We like the potential thats in our room. There is some concern because you lost a player of Willie [Parker]s high ability. So youre looking at, how do we replace that production? Thats where the scouting department comes in and thats where the evaluation process of good runners like this kid. You hope that he can come in and just pick up right away from that standpoint and then develop into those other things that you need him to do.

Do you have a fullback right now?

Right now, we have Frank Summers that is going to be the fullback in my room. And in addition, weve also used in the past D.J. [David Johnson] and weve also used Sean [McHugh] in those roles as well. So we think weve got enough pieces. Heath Miller has done that over the last 2-3 years.

Is Frank [Summers] doing both, or is he strictly a fullback?

Hes doing both and thats what hes practicing right now; both fullback and halfback.

He mentioned that he has ADD and he flunked a drug test, but everything was okay. Is there not worry about his health issue that hes had?

No concerns at all. The scouting department and Kevin Colbert sat us down a few days ago and by detail and very thoroughly went through that process and what that medication was for. He has been cleared. There is nothing to look into that. So hes ready to go.

Last year in camp, [Isaac] Redman was a camp sensation in many ways. What are your thoughts on him?

First of all, he came from a program that really didnt have the facilities and the resources to get him prepared to where he needed to be as an NFL player. So, therefore, he struggled early in camp and throughout the preseason with his conditioning and football awareness. But, I think since hes been in the program now and gone through this offseason, hes going to be where he needs to be and that is at a professional level, to prepare to play running back in the National Football League. So I think well see a different player and well see a guy that is capable of running the football in this league, as well as possibly doing some spot fullback work for us.

kirklandrules
04-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Great 6th round pick. He's pretty quick, but I can tell you why he looks like he's not fast. His stride is similar to someone who is running with their pants falling down to their knees. He doesn't extend his legs out in front of his body as he runs. Guess it doesn't matter as he gets there pretty fast. I have no clue what people are talking about him having a long stride (5 yards????). Didn't see any of that in his film. Most of his runs had him taking 4 strides every 5 yards which is a very short stride for a runner. Hopefully he has plenty of strides in the black and gold and enough strides across the end zone.:cya:

MasterOfPuppets
04-24-2010, 05:15 PM
hopefully mendenhall will teach him his spin move...:thumbsup:

Psyychoward86
04-24-2010, 05:17 PM

naww what Dwyer needs is a killer juke :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
04-24-2010, 05:44 PM

I think Mendenhall did a spin move when we drafted Dwyer.

groundhogday
04-24-2010, 08:58 PM
I really like this pick. This guy can flat out run with the ball and he's huge. He'll wind up being a nice back-up to Mendenhall.

drizze99
04-25-2010, 07:54 AM
The more I see and read about this kid, the more I like him. I really have no idea how he lasted this long in the draft. I have a feeling that this kid is going to be a gem!

I like this highlight reel the best. I love how he ALWAYS keeps his legs churning and he has wicked stiff arm. Also, for a fatback, he has some incredible hands! Check out these highlights:

T3rmS4fh-z4

Mistah_Q
04-25-2010, 08:51 AM
In my Flash Forward I saw Dwyer scoring a touchdown for the Steelers in overtime of Super Bowl LVII then retiring after a HOF worthy career

It would be the last superbowl before the great nuclear war...

theplatypus
04-25-2010, 09:07 AM
In my Flash Forward I saw Dwyer scoring a touchdown for the Steelers in overtime of Super Bowl LVII then retiring after a HOF worthy career

It would be the last superbowl before the great nuclear war...

How very prophetic

Psyychoward86
04-25-2010, 11:51 AM
The more I see and read about this kid, the more I like him. I really have no idea how he lasted this long in the draft. I have a feeling that this kid is going to be a gem!

I like this highlight reel the best. I love how he ALWAYS keeps his legs churning and he has wicked stiff arm. Also, for a fatback, he has some incredible hands! Check out these highlights:

T3rmS4fh-z4

2:15-2:25 pretty much says it all

stillers4me
04-25-2010, 12:03 PM
And it looks like he can......hold......onto......the....frikkin'...... ...ball!

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-25-2010, 12:07 PM
I was just reading that some teams took him off their boards because they found out he had to take medicine for ADD.

I would "guess" that there is some worry among the uniformed that he might not be able to learn a playbook.

Hey...their ignorance is our gain!!

steelpride12
04-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I was just reading that some teams took him off their boards because they found out he had to take medicine for ADD.

I would "guess" that there is some worry among the uniformed that he might not be able to learn a playbook.

Yupp he tested positive in the combine for a drug, but it was just for his ADD so teams dropped him off.

He is a gem. I didn't know much about him, but after seeing what he is capable of, Big powerful back who can break the tackles, he keeps the legs moving even after contact which is huge and as well can hold onto the ball. All Exactly what our Steelers needed for a great compliment to Mendenhall.

Psyychoward86
04-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Finally, i dont have to panic if Mendenhall goes down

xbroughneck
04-25-2010, 12:26 PM

That wasn't the only reason.

After Combine this year.
He looked sluggish clocking at 4.64 in the 40, and Dwyer's struggles catching the ball only increase concerns about what he can contribute on third down. He is in danger of falling out of the top 50 picks of the upcoming draft.

As long as he has good vision and has strength and breakaway speed I don't care about the rest. I think this is a good pick for the STeelers.

Moore is still our 3rd down back.

I want Dwyer to be there if Mendy goes down. I want him carrying the rock on 1st and 2nd down.

If he has better between the tackle vision than Willie Parker did, and can stay healthy, he makes our RB spot solid.

Indo
04-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure why some people think that he's "slow" because all those guys he's beating around the corner, and the ones he's just running past up the middle probably don't think he's slow.

BTW, I, for one, DO think he has SUDDENNESS to add to his GLIDE

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-25-2010, 01:02 PM
That wasn't the only reason.

After Combine this year.

As long as he has good vision and has strength and breakaway speed I don't care about the rest. I think this is a good pick for the STeelers.

Moore is still our 3rd down back.

I want Dwyer to be there if Mendy goes down. I want him carrying the rock on 1st and 2nd down.

If he has better between the tackle vision than Willie Parker did, and can stay healthy, he makes our RB spot solid.

Yea...we had already discussed his speed...I'm with you, I dont need him to run around people if he can run OVER people.

tube517
04-25-2010, 01:28 PM
I hope he can make a 1/2 punch with Mendy. Tomlin better not run Mendy's wheels off. Can't do that in today's NFL. He or whoever wins the #2 spot needs to take the load off of Mendy and give him a rest. MeMO can stay as the 3rd and long back.

Yea...we had already discussed his speed...I'm with you, I dont need him to run around people if he can run OVER people.

JSH6487
04-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Besides Pouncey, I honestly think our 6th round pick is going to have the biggest impact on our team. Kind of sad.

SteelGhost
04-25-2010, 03:02 PM

IMHO Redman AND Logan will get the boot.

Sharkissle29
04-25-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure why some people think that he's "slow" because all those guys he's beating around the corner, and the ones he's just running past up the middle probably don't think he's slow.

BTW, I, for one, DO think he has SUDDENNESS to add to his GLIDE

I agree, this guys pretty damn fast. he's outrunning corners in his highlight tapes

pete74
04-25-2010, 05:36 PM
i saw him as high as #2 behind spiller on some reports. he is a hell of a steal in the 6th and will hopefully be sharing carries soon

plenewken
04-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Don't know him, never heard of him before so I can't comment other than saying I like his size, numbers and what I saw of him on youtube. I think he'll be a great addition to the roster and a great complement to Mendy to beef-up our running game.

Preacher
04-25-2010, 05:46 PM

That's understandable, if he wasn't medicated-and if he wasn't watching gamefilm, and if he wasn't practicing.

However, if your excited by something and have A.D.D., you get hyperfocused, and learning becomes almost immediate at times when you aren't medicated either.

Both are issues I have had to live with.

BradfordTheGreat
04-25-2010, 06:36 PM
I was hoping for either him or Legarrett Blount. Glad we picked up a power back at any rate.

oh god, like we need another troublemaker :banging:

I'm really excited about Dwyer, especially after getting a refresher on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3rmS4fh-z4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Ms_cdT9u0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9Yme2gczU

...he shows some excellent breakaway speed on most of those, then again it is the ACC

Glace
04-25-2010, 07:00 PM
The way Tomlin works...he will be on the practice squad or released.

Remember all the hype about "REDZONE REDMAN!"....look how that turned out.

I like the kid. Has a ton of potential...but he won't dress for a game this year unless we suffer a couple of injuries.

I HOPE I'm proven wrong...

Psyychoward86
04-25-2010, 07:17 PM

I like the kid. Has a ton of potential...but he won't dress for a game this year unless we suffer a couple of injuries.

U think he's not that good because of where he was drafted? He was an early round draft prospect, a top 5 RB on virtually all mocks. I dont think you understand how massive of a steal this is. Redman is a completely diffferent case. He wasnt even expected to be drafted (which he never was) and played for a D-III team.

Blackvette
04-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Check this video of J. Dwyer - steal in the 6th round - reminds my of a quicker Barry Foster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3rmS4fh-z4

truesteelerfan
04-25-2010, 07:29 PM
looks pretty good. Possibly great value where we got him. Should be a nice addition to our think RB corp

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-25-2010, 07:34 PM

The hype around Redman was just that. Hype. He was basically a third string player preforming above average against other third string players. If he really was the next big thing surely somebody would have signed him off of our practice squad.

Fire Haley
04-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Odds are, Dwyer will be a camp cut in a long line of fatback camp cuts.

No amount of fatback lovers coming out of the woodwork to proclaim him the next fatback Messiah will matter.

But I'll give him a chance, like anybody else.

PhantomJB93
04-25-2010, 09:31 PM
This was truly the only pick I absolutely love. From what I can gather from all the research I've done on this guy, we got a 1st round talent in round 6. I really don't understand how he fell that far, I don't think the scheme he played at GT will really inhibit his production in our system and the drug test as has been stated a million times was just because of prescription medication. I love Mendenhall but I honestly would not be surprised if Dwyer is challenging him, or has even claimed the starting role from him like 2 years from now. At the very least, barring injury I see them splitting time almost evenly by the end of the season. We've got our own version of the two-headed monster on our hands, folks.

BlastFurnace
04-25-2010, 10:05 PM
The hype around Redman was just that. Hype. He was basically a third string player preforming above average against other third string players. If he really was the next big thing surely somebody would have signed him off of our practice squad.

Remember, Redman is our future starting Running Back. Dwyer doesn't have the "suddenness and glide".

OneForTheToe
04-25-2010, 11:07 PM

No amount of fatback lovers coming out of the woodwork to proclaim him the next fatback Messiah will matter.

But I'll give him a chance, like anybody else.

Is this what you mean?

http://www.districtlines.com/designs/2578/DSC_0019.JPG

tony hipchest
04-25-2010, 11:15 PM

But I'll give him a chance, like anybody else.but he's not a fatback.

6th round pick from a big program in GA. a 1 cut and hit the hole runner....

he is the next terrell davis (+ 20 lbs). :tt04:

Galax Steeler
04-26-2010, 03:42 AM
but he's not a fatback.

6th round pick from a big program in GA. a 1 cut and hit the hole runner....

he is the next terrell davis (+ 20 lbs). :tt04:

Exactly I think no one should be dissapointed with this pick.